HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal signs G Peter Budaj, 2 years/1.15 per

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Darz

vCash: 500
I am definitely in the minority here, but I like this signing. You can throw out all the numbers you want, but lets see how he looks with an actual defense in front of him.

07-02-2011, 01:12 PM
CHCl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
I am definitely in the minority here, but I like this signing. You can throw out all the numbers you want, but lets see how he looks with an actual defense in front of him.
...and a full-time goalie coach.

I concur.

Old
07-02-2011, 01:15 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
I remember when he was coming up in colorado, alot of people were really high on him...

Old
07-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
I'm indifferent on the signing as its only a backup goalie. I would've preferred Turco though...a vet backup who has won it all before...would've been the perfect mentor for Price.

Old
07-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Dr_Hook

Definite upgrade on Auld in my eyes. I hope he does well enough to earn 20 starts so Carey can stay fresh.

Old
07-02-2011, 01:25 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
Definite upgrade on Auld in my eyes. I hope he does well enough to earn 20 starts so Carey can stay fresh.
I absolutely hated the Auld signing last summer. This I think is almost worse. But at this point, I like the addition of Cole, so I'm happy overall and just hoping he can suprise me like Auld did.

I really want a goalie that can start 15-20 so Carey can be more fresh as well. He could have played better in the playoffs imo.

Old
07-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Darth Joker

I don't know why we didn't just resign Auld.

Auld seemed like the ideal inexpensive backup for a workhorse like Price.

Oh well, no big deal given who our No. 1 is anyway...

Old
07-02-2011, 01:52 PM
ruski17

Good signing IMO. Goliaes playing in Montreal often play better than they did before so we might get a decent goalie that could eventually become a 1a/1b goalie to trade.

Old
07-02-2011, 01:54 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
I don't know why we didn't just resign Auld.

Auld seemed like the ideal inexpensive backup for a workhorse like Price.

Oh well, no big deal given who our No. 1 is anyway...
Price will not start 72 games next season. He was pretty much exhausted at the end of the Series. He never win back to back games on consecutive nights neither.

Habs needed a guy able to start 15-25 games, someone who could do the job IF Price is injured for a couple of weeks.

Budaj has plenty of NHL experience. He has had brilliant games in the past, but he cannot be a starting goaltender for 45-55 games anymore.

I'd rather have Garon. Too bad. Budaj is a good alternative. His salary is really not far from what Auld was making or gonna make in Ottawa. The guy is tradable too. So two years in not the end of thje world.

Old
07-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
lol the fact people are FREAKING out over a backup goalie we signed is LAUGHABLE

i really is, reading some posts is like , shaking my head

budaj couldnt handle it as a starter but ill sure as hell take him as a backup lol

Old
07-02-2011, 05:57 PM
habamillions

Quote:
exactly. he played on a terrible team and still put up alright numbers. he is better when he comes off the bench not an everyday player

Old
08-08-2011, 06:03 PM
giovannicanella

I do not know if anyone posted this before...however for those who have not you should listen to this http://thegoalieguild.com/2011/07/peter-budaj/
From the Goalie Guild...Scouting Service...

Old
08-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Also my opinion the last time he was the backup of a good starting goaltender on a playoff team he had .917 and 2.64 which is a little bit better than Auld.

Old
08-08-2011, 08:08 PM
habsjunkie2*

I think this signing was done with the purposes of giving price more rest, but what I find kinda of odd is, what did Alex Auld do that the teams management doesn't trust him for 20 games, he was pretty solid in every game he played for the most part.

I thought Auld played exceptionally well for a backup always coming off the bench cold, I can't imagine how difficult that must be, and played pretty darn well, apparently it wasn't enough to get another 10 starts or so, but I'm not sure why.

Old
08-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I think this signing was done with the purposes of giving price more rest, but what I find kinda of odd is, what did Alex Auld do that the teams management doesn't trust him for 20 games, he was pretty solid in every game he played for the most part.

I thought Auld played exceptionally well for a backup always coming off the bench cold, I can't imagine how difficult that must be, and played pretty darn well, apparently it wasn't enough to get another 10 starts or so, but I'm not sure why.
The stats are there, but he looked shaky most of the games. Solid D and a solid system generated those good stats. I never felt safe when he was in net. Chances of him repeating it again this year and with more games was improbable.

Budaj is better.

Old
08-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
The stats are there, but he looked shaky most of the games. Solid D and a solid system generated those good stats. I never felt safe when he was in net. Chances of him repeating it again this year and with more games was improbable.

Budaj is better.
I agree. Groulx will do a good job with Budaj. We'll have to give him a month or two, but he's here for at least two years so it's no big deal. And Price don't need a mentor anymore. He's for real.

Old
08-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

vCash: 50
As a fan of both Avs and Habs I can say that you should be happy with Budaj, he won't steal games for you, but he won't lose them either (wich is what being a backup goalie in NHL is all about if you ask me), his technique is great, and he understands how to play in goal (he'll be a great goalie coach some day), but his athlethic side of the game is lacking. You also won't find a better guy to have in your locker room, IMHO he'll do well as a backup to Carey, since Habs have by far superior team D compared to Avs.

Old
08-09-2011, 10:29 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post

Budaj is better.
He didn't look shaky at all most nights.

Old
08-09-2011, 10:29 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

I just hope that this year our goalies can expect more goals from our offense...

Old
08-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
He was letting a lot of softies in. He wasn't bad, but he was far from good. I think Budaj will be better.

Old
08-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Let's disagree on this one because what I remember is a shaky goalie not looking confident most of the time.

Old
08-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Habitants

at first i was like Budaj!!?? really?

but after reading more about him i think it is a good move.

With dedicated training he will be able to improve his technique. In a limited role, it will give him more time to concentrate, with less weight on him starting games.

I look forward to seeing him in habs jersey at camp

Old
08-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
This move is smart by Pierre Gauthier. He gets a 28 year old goaltender who once showed promise of being a solid starter. Look at what Pierre Groulx did with Clemmensen, Anderson, Vokoun and Price? Budaj also went through many different goalie coaches and must have been confused. After a month or two of him being with Montreal we may all see a very good backup goalie.

Closed Thread