HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

[CBJ/MTL] Wisniewski to Jackets for 5th (he signed with Columbus)

Old
07-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
If we had truly no intention of signing him, then we're damn fools. It is one thing to say he was outside of price range, it is another thing entirely to say we just did not want him. A fifth pick is hardly anything to gloat about and unlikely to amount to that much more than nothing.

Read my post again mate. You missed the portion where I said Wisniewski was overpaid, albeit mildly. The TSN panel essentially said similar when they discussed the cap. In today's market, you either pay high or you do not sign upper tier players.
You're not really going deep enough. I don't care if they say they didn't want him. What's important is the reasons they give.
If it's because they felt he asked for too much, then that's understandable.
If it's because they felt Markov is the better Dman (obviously he is) and rather take a gamble with his health than overpay for a one dimensional D, then, again, it's understandable.
If it's because they felt comfortable enough with the D that they wanted to focus on offense first, and then perhaps get a depth signing on D when the dust settles, then that's also understandable.

Gauthier didn't say he didn't want Wiz because he thought he was crap and not important.

Reading most habs fans here over the past days really made me realize how most really think very little about the management. Most didn't even give them a chance before July 1st and within the first 30min were already raging about how we lost Wiz and Gauthier had no vision so pretty much didn't know what he was doing (if he was even doing anything at all).
Habs fans on this board really disappointed me today. I knew a lot of them were too emotional, but today was quite disturbing.

Management had meetings and identified needs. Obviously they aimed (perhaps still are) that aimed those needs and fit the requirements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
this entire deal sucks if PG doesn't fill the void Wiz leaves on the blueline.
Wiz filled the void Markov left. Markov is back. There is no more void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
If true, I'm not very happy.

I wouldn't have signed him for the contract he got, but he did say he wanted to stay - and if we had of offered him $4M or $4.5M before July 1st, he may have stayed.
You do realize Gauthier could have called the camp to inquire what the asking price was, and decided it was too far off to even be worthy of discussing?
Why do fans automatically assume the absolute worse from our GM?

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:08 PM
zumajoe

He was one of the guys that worried me (at least v.s. the B's), always kept my eyes glued on that guy... surprised.

zumajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Consider that Wisniewski may have communicated the ballpark of the terms he was looking for and, consequently, Gauthier saw no need to make an offer that was significantly lower than what Wisniewski was wanting.

Don`t be too quick to jump the gun on this one.
That would be a logical explanation.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:18 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
wow, habs didn't even make an attempt to sign him...

that's interesting, and i think quite a few posters are going to be wipping some egg from their faces.

If PG didn't even offer Wiz a contract, what does that tell us about his plans for the defense moving forward?

it points to them feeling Weber is going to take on a much bigger role and can be relied on if injuries hit again...

and it points to them only targeting a veteran Dman on the 1- year deal they offered to hamrlik...
I agree about the Weber part. After all, he was signed to a one-way deal at good money. Management seems willing to put faith in him. Perhaps in a couple of years he will be most of what The Wiz is, maybe better positionally, but less tough I guess.

I think the offer to Hamrlik was a courtesy offer, and the club did not really believe he would accept, due to the term. I think PG slyly hinted at that during his presser today.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:57 AM
googlymoogly

There is no way I wanted Wiz back at 5.5 mil and a long term contract. It is good for him but he is not the complete defenseman that Markov is. People forgot how good Markov is and the Bruins won both of their series against Montreal when Markov was injured. He should be fine now that he has a completely new knee. Remember Wiz also had knee surgery and has been playing injury free.

With Markov we have our PP quarterback again, he can feed Subban and Weber so they can bomb the puck into the net. He will also feed great passes to Pacioretty and Cole

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Even Wisniewski on a reasonable contract doesn't fill a need for us, PDM's and PP point guys are where we are deepest at the NHL level and guys knocking on the door(Diaz Nygren)...

Wisniewski at 4 mil/year <<< Cole at 4.5 mil;/year

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:13 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Even Wisniewski on a reasonable contract doesn't fill a need for us, PDM's and PP point guys are where we are deepest at the NHL level and guys knocking on the door(Diaz Nygren)...

Wisniewski at 4 mil/year <<< Cole at 4.5 mil;/year
Or you could add both. The way I look at it is are we better with or without the player.

The Habs > with Wiz than without.

We could afford both, we still have $8m in cap space.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:48 AM
les Habs

What was Wiz's contract situation? When did it expire? Was he UFA?

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:50 AM
holyhabs87

He is making 1.1 mil less than Richards.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:51 AM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
He is making 1.1 mil less than Richards.
Yes, but my questions.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Crazy ass over payment, but what choice do you have when your Columbus? Obviously if the Habs really wanted him, they would have gotten him for way less, but at least they got a 5th(even though those are pretty much AHL fodder) & he's in the West.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Or you could add both. The way I look at it is are we better with or without the player.

The Habs > with Wiz than without.

We could afford both, we still have $8m in cap space.
Gorges = 3
White = 0.6
Other player = 0.5
Room under cap = 1

That leaves about 3. No room for Wiz unless we get rid of another D contract like Gorges or Spacek. Spacek is probably not tradable and I want to keep Gorges.

We have Price, Subban and Eller next year with increases. No room for Wiz.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:55 AM
les Habs

But WHY did we trade him? Was he UFA? RFA? Contract was coming up?????

Old
07-02-2011, 11:56 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post
But WHY did we trade him? Was he UFA? RFA? Contract was coming up?????
He was a UFA on an expiring contract and we basically couldn't afford to keep him, so we traded his rights to Columbus.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
He was a UFA on an expiring contract and we basically couldn't afford to keep him, so we traded his rights to Columbus.
Which worked out, because in the end the Habs got a 5th for a guy they couldn't afford while Ehrhoff was worth a 4th. Not bad at all.

Old
07-02-2011, 02:18 PM
la25ecoupe

Wiz said on TSN that MTL was only using him to patch Markov.. and that was unfair.. He didn't like it here.

Free Agent Frenzy Deals video on tsn

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Wiz said on TSN that MTL was only using him to patch Markov.. and that was unfair.. He didn't like it here.

I just watched the video. He didn't say it was unfair that Montreal used him that way; rather, that it was unfair for him to be known as a suitcase around the league. And nowhere did he even imply that he didn't like it in Montreal. Please post a link to a video that would state as much.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:52 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post

I just watched the video. He didn't say it was unfair that Montreal used him that way; rather, that it was unfair for him to be known as a suitcase around the league. And nowhere did he even imply that he didn't like it in Montreal. Please post a link to a video that would state as much.
Yea in the interview I saw, Wiz was happy that he was able to showcase his talents in Montreal. He was grateful for the opportunity to get the chance to get a $33m contract.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:53 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Which worked out, because in the end the Habs got a 5th for a guy they couldn't afford while Ehrhoff was worth a 4th. Not bad at all.
We got nothing for Souray, Streit, etc when they left as UFA. Really happy with PG regarding getting draft pick from potential UFA that he didn't want to sign.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
The most telling part was when he revealed Gauthier didn't even talk with him after the season. We lost a vital part of our defence on account of being cheap.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:35 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
The most telling part was when he revealed Gauthier didn't even talk with him after the season. We lost a vital part of our defence on account of being cheap.
The contract is steep, but I think we could of got him for 30m for 6 years, which is hefty, but we don't mind trucking out spacek and his 3.8m. I would of loved if we moved spacek to make room for wiz, other teams seems to have more proactive GM's in this regard. He is well worth 1.2more than spacek.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:49 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
The contract is steep, but I think we could of got him for 30m for 6 years, which is hefty, but we don't mind trucking out spacek and his 3.8m. I would of loved if we moved spacek to make room for wiz, other teams seems to have more proactive GM's in this regard. He is well worth 1.2more than spacek.
So tell me where Spacek would be moved to? Serious oversimplification here. Every team has players that are not playing up to the contract they have. Doesn't mean every GM is not proactive.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
That doesn't seem logical to me. What if Wisniewski had wanted $7.5m, and Gauthier wasn't willing to pay up. Would Gauthier be labelled as cheap then, too? Frankly, I'm surprised you think $5.5m for Wisniewski is justifiable. It seems grossly irresponsible to me.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
And then what? next year PK will say ''Wiz makes that much, so even though I'm a RFA I need X more because I'm that much better?'' I think it's fair to say PK deserves more than Wiz if he doesn't go through the sophomore slump.

Spacek has a bad contract, doesn't mean we should dish out another one to Wiz.
I didn't want 6years of Wiz, and even less if it was for 5M. I think a 4-4.5M deal would have been perfect, for 3-4years. Anything outside this wouldn't have made me happy.

I also have a hard time understanding the criticism some fans have over Gauthier. It's like there's some type of agenda, sometimes subconsciously.
Gauthier was quite proactive during last season as he went after Wiz, Mara and Sopel. But then he gets criticized for not getting some value for free agents. When he does, well, it's only a 5th/7th, so again, there's criticism. He re-signs both RFAs and UFAs, goes out to grab a better back up, and finally bring in someone to fill the big void we have in the top 6, but then gets criticized for not moving Spacek. (not saying you were the one criticized on all this)

Can the man get a break?

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:48 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
And then what? next year PK will say ''Wiz makes that much, so even though I'm a RFA I need X more because I'm that much better?'' I think it's fair to say PK deserves more than Wiz if he doesn't go through the sophomore slump.

Spacek has a bad contract, doesn't mean we should dish out another one to Wiz.
I didn't want 6years of Wiz, and even less if it was for 5M. I think a 4-4.5M deal would have been perfect, for 3-4years. Anything outside this wouldn't have made me happy.

I also have a hard time understanding the criticism some fans have over Gauthier. It's like there's some type of agenda, sometimes subconsciously.
Gauthier was quite proactive during last season as he went after Wiz, Mara and Sopel. But then he gets criticized for not getting some value for free agents. When he does, well, it's only a 5th/7th, so again, there's criticism. He re-signs both RFAs and UFAs, goes out to grab a better back up, and finally bring in someone to fill the big void we have in the top 6, but then gets criticized for not moving Spacek. (not saying you were the one criticized on all this)

Can the man get a break?
You don't make decisions about improving your team based on what will happen next year. There are a million things you could do to ensure you lock PK up. It's barely a concern at all. What you think PK deserves doesn't really matter and I doubt PK is sitting home thinking he needs more cash than Wiz, he's a bright boy and understands the economics involved, I'm sure.

I actually like PG so far quite a bit, I'm not really sure what you're so upset about, but to me the difference between Wiz and Spacek is what could separate winners from losers. It's a small criticism, that's all. I still think we're short a top dman though. Weber hasn't proved he is ready to take on a full time roll and Yemelin is a question mark. I don't feel comfortable with the guys we have signed.

You support every decision anyways, so I'm not surprised you're doing so again. You were an advocate of getting younger and more mobile on the back end, it never happened. If we get O'Brien, I think PG will have addressed most of our needs. He's still got time, but I think the wiz was a very valuable player to our team and doubt Cole will have the impact Wiz had. We'll see.

If Markov gets hurt this year, the D will be in trouble as it stands. No one replaces Hamrlik. That's a huge hole to fill imo. The guy has been the most under appreciated player on our roster these past few years. It remains to be seen whether Yemelin can replace him ect. I would feel a touch more comfortable with another solid dman.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote