HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The dream is over - Gagne signs with the Kings, 2 years $7M

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2011, 03:04 PM
  #26
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,164
vCash: 500
How about Miettinen?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:05 PM
  #27
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,272
vCash: 500
Arnott Langenbrunner Madden Bergfors Bernier still out there

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:05 PM
  #28
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dry Island
Posts: 9,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayshplaysh View Post
Do we really have to pay all the way up to the cap? I think the roster is pretty much filled out as of now...
Yes.

You must be new to the Paul Holmgren regime.

I think we make a trade. For who? No idea, but I feel like there is another move to be made.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:09 PM
  #29
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,590
vCash: 500
My heart... have fun with richie

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:10 PM
  #30
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayshplaysh View Post
Do we really have to pay all the way up to the cap? I think the roster is pretty much filled out as of now...
If there's a player out there that will make the team better that will fit, why wouldn't you do it? I mean I don't want to use the remaining money to sign some scrub that will be the 13th forward or 7th defenseman, but if you can get an upgrade somewhere, it would be stupid not to do it just because you don't want to spend to the cap.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:11 PM
  #31
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,532
vCash: 500
ffs!

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:13 PM
  #32
ayshplaysh
Registered User
 
ayshplaysh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipadelphia View Post
Yes.

You must be new to the Paul Holmgren regime.

I think we make a trade. For who? No idea, but I feel like there is another move to be made.
Perhaps he'll just pay the rest of the space we have left to Simmonds?

ayshplaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:14 PM
  #33
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
It was far from a dream of mine to get him back. He's on the downswing and is a major risk. I would have only wanted him if he was wiling to have a cap hit around $3M.
Agreed. Would have loved to have him back but 3.5 is more then I would want to give him especially since he just had another concussion during the playoffs. Between him and Jagr that would have been almost 7M that may not work out.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:14 PM
  #34
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
If there's a player out there that will make the team better that will fit, why wouldn't you do it? I mean I don't want to use the remaining money to sign some scrub that will be the 13th forward or 7th defenseman, but if you can get an upgrade somewhere, it would be stupid not to do it just because you don't want to spend to the cap.
The benefit to leaving cap space now is that it essentially "grows" over the course of the season. As long as they don't spend the money another way, they can add a bigger cap hit at the deadline. It could make sense to give Read/Wellwood/Holmstrom/Testwuide a shot to make the team.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:15 PM
  #35
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
If there's a player out there that will make the team better that will fit, why wouldn't you do it? I mean I don't want to use the remaining money to sign some scrub that will be the 13th forward or 7th defenseman, but if you can get an upgrade somewhere, it would be stupid not to do it just because you don't want to spend to the cap.
True enough, but it would be nice to play most of the year with about $1 mil in space so the Flyers can afford to bring up a rookie or two (injury or just plain temporary promotion) without having to count the change in the couch cushions.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:25 PM
  #36
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
The benefit to leaving cap space now is that it essentially "grows" over the course of the season. As long as they don't spend the money another way, they can add a bigger cap hit at the deadline. It could make sense to give Read/Wellwood/Holmstrom/Testwuide a shot to make the team.
Yes, that would be a benefit sure. But it would also be a benefit to have a better player already on the team than have to trade assets to get one at the deadline. Again, I'm not saying just go out there and spend to the cap because you can. What I'm saying is that if there is a player that will make the team better and he will fit under the cap, it wouldn't make sense not to sign him. Yes Wellwood or Homstrom etc could play third line winger and hold a place for a guy at the deadline, but if there is an established player that will be able to fill that role better now, you get him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
True enough, but it would be nice to play most of the year with about $1 mil in space so the Flyers can afford to bring up a rookie or two (injury or just plain temporary promotion) without having to count the change in the couch cushions.
I agree with that to a certain extent, but the players the Flyers will likely have the room to sign a player and keep room for potential callups.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:26 PM
  #37
Jimmy Villa
Registered User
 
Jimmy Villa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bristol
Country: England
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
A good two-way forward that could play in our top 6? We could have used him.
Definitely could've used him. This is a bummer. Looks like if we are making any more changes, it will be via trade

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:26 PM
  #38
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Dang!


Dang Dang Dang!

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:27 PM
  #39
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dry Island
Posts: 9,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayshplaysh View Post
Perhaps he'll just pay the rest of the space we have left to Simmonds?
That's probably what ends up happening.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:28 PM
  #40
Bryz4shiz
Registered User
 
Bryz4shiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alhoa Oe
Posts: 3,007
vCash: 500
Gagne-Richards-Brown seems like a pretty solid 2nd line to me

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:32 PM
  #41
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!
 
Coppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Just another reason to cheer for the Kings.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:37 PM
  #42
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yes, that would be a benefit sure. But it would also be a benefit to have a better player already on the team than have to trade assets to get one at the deadline. Again, I'm not saying just go out there and spend to the cap because you can. What I'm saying is that if there is a player that will make the team better and he will fit under the cap, it wouldn't make sense not to sign him. Yes Wellwood or Homstrom etc could play third line winger and hold a place for a guy at the deadline, but if there is an established player that will be able to fill that role better now, you get him.
Take a flier on Frolov or Miettinen? Besides some dumpster dives, there's not too much out there. You could pick up a much bigger impact type of player at the deadline for some of these 2nd/3rd round picks we have stockpiled.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:38 PM
  #43
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Take a flier on Frolov or Miettinen? Besides some dumpster dives, there's not too much out there. You could pick up a much bigger impact type of player at the deadline for some of these 2nd/3rd round picks we have stockpiled.
Miettinen can hit a bit at least and put up probably at least 30 or 40 points. And plays on the PK as well. A cheaper, yet older, Versteeg-type (but more physical)?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:39 PM
  #44
slitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
they can have him at $3.5. overpayment

slitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:39 PM
  #45
Readyrock
(・_・;)
 
Readyrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,708
vCash: 500
It's going to be interesting to watch the Kings.

A healthy Gagne at 3.5 might be the bargain of the offseason and feels well worth the risk.

However, at 31, 2 years feels like a strange deal to sign... I suppose it's because of the injury risk - but I feel like there would've been a team to commit for 3 or 4. Maybe he wanted to go to LA?

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:39 PM
  #46
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 38,979
vCash: 500
Well, I guess the Kings are definitely my West team now.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:46 PM
  #47
Claude28Giroux
praiseG
 
Claude28Giroux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lewiston, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well, I guess the Kings are definitely my West team now.
so true

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:56 PM
  #48
oLiViNGSToNo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
A healthy Gagne at 3.5 might be the bargain of the offseason and feels well worth the risk.
The terms of the deal are 4.5 the first year, and 2.5 the second year.

oLiViNGSToNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:10 PM
  #49
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post
they can have him at $3.5. overpayment

Not an overpayment.

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:25 PM
  #50
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well, I guess the Kings are definitely my West team now.
Yup.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.