HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Anyone else still depressed about Boston winning?

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2011, 03:23 PM
skule123

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR33 View Post
I'm sure you can google montreal canadiens draft advantage just as well as i can...
Strange, this well-researched article came up linked in one of the articles you directed me towards. Have you read it? You might find it very interesting!

http://www.liam.ca/ed20040319.html

Please, let us know how this affects your feelings on the stated draft advantage.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:25 PM
JR33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysInTheAttic View Post
Well, the simple fact is that your bolded critique of the Habs has nothing to do with the Habs organization, and everything to do with Quebec law.

Chara throwing Pacioretty's head into into a stanchion at full speed, which you are referring to in an apophantic manner; as something akin to Price slashing at Lucic, simply reflects the dissembling over-valuation of a very, very small number of Boston fans.

Seeing as you point out how educated are people in the Boston area, I'm sure you understand the tenuous nature of the assertion of this thread post.
Get real and drop the condescension, ok. You don't know me so to assume that I'm dumb is dumb... After Begin broke Savard's back with a vicious cross-check, the Bruins signed the guy. If it had been the other way around would Montreal have brought in a Bruin after an incident like that? That's the point.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:34 PM
habitue*

Do we need a thread about "THEM"... ? It is depressing and frustrating.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Get real and drop the condescension, ok. You don't know me so to assume that I'm dumb is dumb... After Begin broke Savard's back with a vicious cross-check, the Bruins signed the guy. If it had been the other way around would Montreal have brought in a Bruin after an incident like that? That's the point.
Maybe I'm naive, but I think you're trying to disagree politely, which is cool. I'll also give you props for sticking your neck into a thread where it's likely to be chopped off.

Anyway, my point is that no player - Savard or Pacioretty - should have to suffer serious injury. Savard is/was a top forward; it would be a real shame if his career really is done. Let's hope Max's luck is better. What disappointed me about Boston fans was, first, how many of them denied the seriousness of Pacioretty's injuries. I just couldn't believe the staggering ignorance that came out of people's mouths! Second, when Horton got hurt, it amazed me that so few Boston fans woke up and realized, "Uh... okay... maybe that Chara hit deserved a game or two suspension after all". I mean, how much more of a perspective lesson do you need? I would've had respect for Boston fans had they acknowledged the need to punish ALL bad hits - not just the ones against the Bruins.

As to the nonsense about calling the cops, those extremists are as bad as the Boston extremists who claimed Max was faking or embellishing. Idiots are idiots, regardless of what team they root for.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

With this thread on an already short leash, I'll ask that everyone please stop the bickering or it'll be closed in no time.

Constructive arguments are fine, but don't post with the point of strictly trying to get under the skin of others..

Old
07-02-2011, 03:48 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
I don't know you. I did not assume, nor say you are dumb. I do not say anyone is stupid, though I may say what they are saying is stupid.

Again(to expand on the Lucic slash on Price theme); Begin's cross-check was an unintentional injury. To say that this injury is the same as Chara driving MaxPac face first into a stanchion would be the absolute high point of equivocal denial.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sorry JR33, it's a little difficult to judge things like that, when you make a ridiculous comparison between Price slashing one of the Bruins and a player being hurt bad enough, they had to be carried off on a stretcher.

If you had of used Savard's injury from being cross-checked by Begin as your example for the police being called. That would have been understandable, your example though, was dumb.

As for your last paragraph. Do you have any proof that Montreal would not sign a Bruins player if they were involved in a similar situation? If not, you are just assuming things. Again, I would consider that to be, for a lack of a better word.....Dumb.

07-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Not bothered at all because I can't see them repeating.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:58 PM
onice

vCash: 210
Anyone else still depressed about Boston winning?

Yeah!!!! And I will be for the rest of my life or until we win three cups in a row....starting next year.

Old
07-02-2011, 04:02 PM
JR33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Maybe I'm naive, but I think you're trying to disagree politely, which is cool. I'll also give you props for sticking your neck into a thread where it's likely to be chopped off.

Anyway, my point is that no player - Savard or Pacioretty - should have to suffer serious injury. Savard is/was a top forward; it would be a real shame if his career really is done. Let's hope Max's luck is better. What disappointed me about Boston fans was, first, how many of them denied the seriousness of Pacioretty's injuries. I just couldn't believe the staggering ignorance that came out of people's mouths! Second, when Horton got hurt, it amazed me that so few Boston fans woke up and realized, "Uh... okay... maybe that Chara hit deserved a game or two suspension after all". I mean, how much more of a perspective lesson do you need? I would've had respect for Boston fans had they acknowledged the need to punish ALL bad hits - not just the ones against the Bruins.

As to the nonsense about calling the cops, those extremists are as bad as the Boston extremists who claimed Max was faking or embellishing. Idiots are idiots, regardless of what team they root for.
I like a good sports discussion and figured that if I countered the assertions of 'the bruins were goons' and were 'lucky' with the fact that the B's were the best defensive team in the east and had the best +/- that while there'd be a spirited debate about who knows what that at least people would come away from the discussion with some respect for the team that chiarelli and julien put together and coached. As for the issue of head shots, Bergeron, Savard, and Krejci all had concussions before Horton- it's a league-wide problem, one that Bettman should have addressed long ago when Bobby Clarke was sadistically handling Eric Lindros. The sad reality is that Bettman is just the front man for owners who prefer a bloodsport that gets fans riled up, increases ratings and revenues. As for the Chara incident specifically, I'll weigh in on that. I don't think Chara meant to injure Pacioretty but I think he was frustrated with what I'd call the passive-aggressive chippy way the Canadiens had been playing and lost his temper. Chara's played long enough in the league so that his body of work stands for itself- he's not a dirty player. But I think there was some intentionality there. Was it premeditated like Brian Burke putting the hit on Steve Moore. No. No way. But it shouldn't have happened. Anyhow, the league will get its wish and the bloodsport that is the nhl will get even rougher next year. With better ratings. But those $8 beers will taste a little better looking up at that new banner in the rafters Cheers,

Old
07-02-2011, 04:08 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

Nope, It'll just feel better when we beat 'em next year.

Old
07-02-2011, 04:10 PM
nfld77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Agreed.

The Montreal Canadiens are the crown jewel of hockey.

When Habs win it is bigger than hockey itself...

It is the resurrection of the ghosts of mystical eras and more...

As far as Boston goes?

They were a beatable team, but Thomas was undeniably hot. They got lucky.

A Boston cup had to happen sooner or later. Besides, it is only their 6th cup in 86 years

BOSTON GOT LUCKY????? How bot Roy in 93? Would Habs have won the cup without him? Bruins outscored Canucks something like 24-8 in Finals and you say it was all Thomas??

I will say this. Bruin/Habs 1st round was an awesome series and one of the best I ever watched! I've been a Bruin fan a long time and can barely remember the 72 cup. I waited all my life for this and it was awesome. But you guys know the feeling.

Good health Hab fans!!

Old
07-02-2011, 04:11 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
I like a good sports discussion and figured that if I countered the assertions of 'the bruins were goons' and were 'lucky' with the fact that the B's were the best defensive team in the east and had the best +/- that while there'd be a spirited debate about who knows what that at least people would come away from the discussion with some respect for the team that chiarelli and julien put together and coached. As for the issue of head shots, Bergeron, Savard, and Krejci all had concussions before Horton- it's a league-wide problem, one that Bettman should have addressed long ago when Bobby Clarke was sadistically handling Eric Lindros. The sad reality is that Bettman is just the front man for owners who prefer a bloodsport that gets fans riled up, increases ratings and revenues. As for the Chara incident specifically, I'll weigh in on that. I don't think Chara meant to injure Pacioretty but I think he was frustrated with what I'd call the passive-aggressive chippy way the Canadiens had been playing and lost his temper. Chara's played long enough in the league so that his body of work stands for itself- he's not a dirty player. But I think there was some intentionality there. Was it premeditated like Brian Burke putting the hit on Steve Moore. No. No way. But it shouldn't have happened. Anyhow, the league will get its wish and the bloodsport that is the nhl will get even rougher next year. With better ratings. But those $8 beers will taste a little better looking up at that new banner in the rafters Cheers,
I'm starting to like you.

Old
07-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Cupmonger

Nope, I don't care about their charity cup.

Old
07-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Ya, I don't get this talk about Boston getting "lucky" as if it's an uncommon thing in the playoffs. 90% of teams that have won the Cup since the Oilers dynasty have had to rely on some luck in order to win the big one. It's the nature of the game.

If you think there are better teams in the league than Boston, that's fair. I do too. But being the best team doesn't guarantee victory, just means you have a better shot at it.

Old
07-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Thanks for a classy response - not much to disagree with. Enjoy the Stanley Cup banner. Many of us Montrealers don't like how you got it, but that's probably the same reaction other fans have to Montreal's own banners. Healthy rivalries are what make the game great.

Old
07-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
was alot of Pros for me with boston winning the cup more then vancouver

- makes the preseason scandal where price was booed in a preseason game vs Boston "OK"! cuz they turned out to be the cup winners!
- We took them to game 7 Overtime, without patches, markov, gorges, or cole for that matter
- Montreal STILL remains the only canadian team to have won it since 1993.
- Montreal has gone toe to toe with these guys for years and years now, and now, just maybe, the guys on the team know what it takes to get over that hump and get to the finals, if boston can do it, we can do it.

cons

- Boston had never won a cup in my lifetime, i know live in a world where they have, it sucks
- I am praying to god, this doesnt shed their "inferiority complex" vs us, because there WAS one...

but no, other then that, dont care, it was very laughable, because even tho lunogo is a montrealer, i just cant ever seem to LIKE the guy, seems to cocky for me, and then trash talks such a hard worker in thomas after game 5, and it comes back and DESTROYS him in games 6 and 7

The sedins must LOVE luongo, cuz if he wasnt there, everyone would be ALL OVER them, right now, its all on luongo

Old
07-02-2011, 04:30 PM
JR33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Ya, I don't get this talk about Boston getting "lucky" as if it's an uncommon thing in the playoffs. 90% of teams that have won the Cup since the Oilers dynasty have had to rely on some luck in order to win the big one. It's the nature of the game.

If you think there are better teams in the league than Boston, that's fair. I do too. But being the best team doesn't guarantee victory, just means you have a better shot at it.
The B's have had their share of bad luck through the years. If Cam Neely and Gord Kluzak had stayed healthy they likely would have won a cup or two. And last year the B's had to battle through losing two guys on their top line, Savard and Kessel, who Burke (the guy who cried when Edmonton signed Penner to an offer sheet) forced the B's into a trading. Turning Kessel into Seguin, Hamilton, and Knight just goes to show that teams can overcome obstacles and turn bad luck into a good team.

Old
07-02-2011, 04:35 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
The B's have had their share of bad luck through the years. If Cam Neely and Gord Kluzak had stayed healthy they likely would have won a cup or two. And last year the B's had to battle through losing two guys on their top line, Savard and Kessel, who Burke (the guy who cried when Edmonton signed Penner to an offer sheet) forced the B's into a trading. Turning Kessel into Seguin, Hamilton, and Knight just goes to show that teams can overcome obstacles and turn bad luck into a good team.
Congratulations. You're Bruins deserved to win the Cup. Can't wait to continue the rivalry next year. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Old
07-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
I agree.

Every team has their share of good and bad bounces. If you're good, or "lucky", you can take advantage of other teams' misfortunes and overcome your own. The only teams in the past 20 or so years who I don't think needed a heaping dose of fortune to win the Cup were the Penguins teams of the early 90s and the Red Wings. Maybe the Devils to a lesser extent.

And even those stacked Penguins teams were victims of "bad luck" in 1993, much to the delight of us Habs fans.

Old
07-02-2011, 04:38 PM
old scotia

I tell all Bruin fans I see. "Once every forty years I can live with." Most of them just look at me and laugh not realizing I'm insulting them.
I still find it hard to believe someone like Shawn "Booger" Thornton has two Stanley Cup rings. Makes a case for shortening how many skaters you can ice.
But worst of all this year is the no suspension of Chara and the hefty suspension of Rome and how Colin Campbell finally quit and how the league consulted Brian Burke on the Rome suspension when he had definetely had a better relationship with Boston than Vancouver.

Old
07-02-2011, 04:41 PM
JR33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Thanks for a classy response - not much to disagree with. Enjoy the Stanley Cup banner. Many of us Montrealers don't like how you got it, but that's probably the same reaction other fans have to Montreal's own banners. Healthy rivalries are what make the game great.
Thank you too. BTW, I really like the Eric Cole signing. He fills that power forward role and plays the way it's supposed to be played. There's none of that passive-aggressive chippy stuff in his game. Good character, good work ethic. IMO, those are the building blocks that make a really good team. I hope you guys don't get more like him...

Old
07-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Dekar

I'm over it, but what helped was that to my surprise, some of my Bruin-fan friends and acquaintances weren't complete a-holes about it like they are to me the entire season over nothing at all.

What also softens the blow is reading the Bruins board from time to time and seeing that even though they went all the way, some of them still can't stop talking about us.

Old
07-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfld77 View Post
BOSTON GOT LUCKY????? How bot Roy in 93? ...
Geez you need to know your hockey history a bit more! Boston got lucky because they had in their goals a netminder that would stop a puck without seeing it with an outstretched glove even with 5 Habs players lying on him. Pure luck; wont ever happen again, he peaked at the best time.

But Patrick Roy is in the HOF of hockey and Thomas never will be so that takes cares care of Roy's "luck".. Roy wrote hockey history, he revolutionnized the way goalies work now and he changed the game forever. Thats not "luck": thats T A L E N T. Pure and simple.

Edit: PS: i prefer to see the Bruins win a Cup way more than seeing the Leafs winning one. If the Leafs would win it all well i'd freakin go jump off the Mercier bridge. (if i can get to it with all the traffic...)

Last edited by Ice Poutine: 07-02-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: addendum
Old
07-02-2011, 05:51 PM
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

Yup. Still depressed, if I think about it. Luckily I have other stuff on my mind. But boston? With the Stanley Cup?! Horrifying. Disinfect it in October please.

Closed Thread