Notices

Official 2011-2012 Providence Bruins Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2011, 05:22 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

vCash: 500
Bodnarchuk falls short of the 260 pro games requirement to be a vet, so that's good.

Not really surprised about Wild, never wanted him here....Valabik doesn't have it and McKelvie is just a victim of a goofy situation.

Old
07-02-2011, 08:00 AM
Marc Savard
06/15/2011. x3

So at this point, we have Whitfield and Khudobin back but no additional players for Providence. I guess this will change in the coming days..

Old
07-02-2011, 03:31 PM
BronxBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Savard View Post
So at this point, we have Whitfield and Khudobin back but no additional players for Providence. I guess this will change in the coming days..
I'd really like Providence to make the playoffs this year to give the kids a chance to get some experience so I wouldn't mind if the B's signed some career AHLers who can light it up in the minors (e.g. a Jason Krog type). I don't see a ton of legit forward prospects in Providence this year (I only consider Caron (if he goes down), Sauve, Hamill, Arniel, and possibly Cunningham as legit top 9 NHL prospects) so it's not like a veteran AHL All-Star would be blocking any prospect's development.

I think the Whitfield signing is a good start.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Marc Savard
06/15/2011. x3

They are in need of some forwards, that's true. I hope Chia can find some good fits, unlike guys like Wyatt Smith who was brought in last year and did not sooo well..

Old
07-02-2011, 03:53 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

curious to see if they move Warsosfky to forward or try to develop him as an NHL dman, he's got some really good offensive touch

Old
07-02-2011, 07:31 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Historically, Boston/Providence seems to avoid the elite scorers of the AHL variety like Krog, Darren Haydar or Jeff Hamilton because there is little NHL upside there for the kind of game they play......they prefer the guys who will know how to grind if they get called up.

I'd like to see a Jeremy Colliton here. Has some NHL experience and he could find the offense at the AHL level on a more talented club than Bridgeport.

Old
07-03-2011, 11:15 AM
The Depahted

Valabik to Pit according to free agent/trade board

Old
07-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Alan Ryan

From Mark Divver of the Providence Journal:

This was a productive week for the Providence Bruins and new coach Butch Cassidy, and for fans of the team, too.

By holding on to Trent Whitfield, Anton Khudobin and Andrew Bodnarchuk, Boston management kept in place three important players around which Cassidy can build the 2011-12 P-Bruins.

As I've written many times, Whitfield is a pro's pro. His play during the final quarter of last season, when the team was essentially out of the playoff hunt, was off the charts. He scored, he won faceoffs, he anchored the power play. He leads by example, playing as hard as he can, shift in and shift out. He's a terrific role model for the young players in Providence, and even at age 34 he's still a very good player at the AHL level.

Khudobin, if he had arrived in Providence maybe six weeks earlier, might have gotten the P-Bruins into the playoffs last spring. Based on his play down the stretch, he looks to be a legitimate difference-maker at the AHL level. For Boston, Khudobin is a good No. 3 goalie to have ready in case of an injury in Boston. If he's healthy and plays most of the year in Providence, the P-Bruins are a good bet to return to the playoffs after missing for two straight seasons.

Even though Bodnarchuk didn't have a great first half last season, he was better in the second half. He's shown that he's capable of being a good player in the AHL. Still only 23, he's a young veteran who can play a lot of minutes in all situations. Asked about Bodnarchuk late last season, former coach Rob Murray said, "He's the kind of guy where if we didn't have him, we'd be looking for someone just like him.''

Old
07-03-2011, 05:16 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
curious to see if they move Warsosfky to forward or try to develop him as an NHL dman, he's got some really good offensive touch
I would think they would give him the chance to fail at defenseman before moving him to a forward.

It may be that he some day becomes a Hawgood type who plays some D, some 4th line wing, and QB a powerplay. But give him the chance to show he can stay at D first

Old
07-05-2011, 11:14 AM
SpokedLightning
Tampa Bound

vCash: 167
This is the new AHL Division alignment in case anyone is interested.

I'm hoping that there will be more Baby B's games vs. the Monarchs now as they are the closest AHL team to me.

http://theahl.com/alignment-playoff-...011-12-p171563

Old
07-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Malt
#wpri12steve

I'm always amazed by 2 things:

1. That Providence hasn't played the Hamilton Bulldogs in several years. You'd think the AHL would want to take advantage of the Bruins vs. Canadians hatred. But they never play each other (Meanwhile, Providence takes a yearly trip to Abbotsford, BC).

2. That the parent clubs for Worcester and Manchester are San Jose and LA, respectively. Get called for for a home game? Travel 3000 miles and suit up..

Old
07-05-2011, 12:26 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
I'm always amazed by 2 things:

1. That Providence hasn't played the Hamilton Bulldogs in several years. You'd think the AHL would want to take advantage of the Bruins vs. Canadians hatred. But they never play each other (Meanwhile, Providence takes a yearly trip to Abbotsford, BC).

2. That the parent clubs for Worcester and Manchester are San Jose and LA, respectively. Get called for for a home game? Travel 3000 miles and suit up..
Abbotsford basically pays anyone willing to come play them. So the Bruins take advantage of it.....

I'd love to see Hamilton. The last time we played them they were the Oilers farm. We had some good games against Fredricton and Quebec back in the day when they were with the Habs.

Amazing that Springy and Hartford will not be in our division, but St John's will.

Old
07-05-2011, 03:00 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

I posted this in the prospects thread, but I figured I'd ask here too. I just noticed Knight and Spooner each played 3 games at the end of the season for Providence. How was this able to happen, I didn't think they were AHL eligible?

Old
07-05-2011, 03:08 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
I posted this in the prospects thread, but I figured I'd ask here too. I just noticed Knight and Spooner each played 3 games at the end of the season for Providence. How was this able to happen, I didn't think they were AHL eligible?
See my response in that thread.

ATO Contract.

Old
07-05-2011, 03:08 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
in both cases their AHL seasons and playoffs were over.

they are ineligible to play in the AHL during hteir Junior season

Old
07-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Marc Savard
06/15/2011. x3

@HackswithHaggs Joe Haggerty
Bruins sign forwards Jamie Tardif and Brockton, Mass native Josh Hennessy for organizational depth on the Black and Gold

http://twitter.com/#!/HackswithHaggs...63702629318656

Old
07-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Alan Ryan

Good news. Hennessy and Tardif can score at the AHL level. Hennessy is a center and they already have decent depth there. Tardif is a right wing.

This is important for Providence this season. They were short in the forwards, especially at RW.

Centers
Arniel
Hamill
Camper
Hennessy
Whitfield
Chaput

Arniel might be in Boston. Can any of the other guys play the wing?

Right Wing
Caron
Tardif
Randell
MacDonald
Riendeau

Caron could end up in Boston.

Left Wing
Sauve
Cunningham
Roussel
MacDermid
Smotherman

With their talented defensemen and Khudobin back in goal they could return to the playoffs this season.

Old
07-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Marc Savard
06/15/2011. x3

I'd still like to see some additional players. Maybe some toughguy to protect the young guns. I know Randell is one tough customer but he's a rookie himself..

Old
07-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Diskothek

So Khudobin is staying here? I thought I had read he was going to the KHL. I heard of the signing but I wasn't sure if that just meant we were keeping his rights.

Old
07-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Alan Ryan

Jamie Tardif is a leader. Just what they needed to replace Jeremy Reich. From Matt Kalman's blog:

Tardif, 26, was the captain of the Grand Rapids Griffins the last two seasons, and this year he set a career high with 27 goals and 54 points. Combined with the return of Trent Whitfield, the P-Bruins will have at least two standout leaders in their dressing room.

Old
07-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Marc Savard
06/15/2011. x3

That sounds great, hopefully he will lead them back onto better days...

Old
07-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
So Khudobin is staying here? I thought I had read he was going to the KHL. I heard of the signing but I wasn't sure if that just meant we were keeping his rights.

Khudobin news is in this thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=940521

Old
07-05-2011, 08:04 PM
PBruinsfan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Centers
Arniel
Hamill
Camper
Hennessy
Whitfield
Chaput

Right Wing
Caron
Tardif
Randell
MacDonald
Riendeau

Left Wing
Sauve
Cunningham
Roussel
MacDermid
Smotherman

With their talented defensemen and Khudobin back in goal they could return to the playoffs this season.
MacDonald is currently a UFA, needs a new contract; also, Smotherman and Roussel need to re-up their AHL contracts.

Cunningham is not under contract, either, though you can expect that to change after development camp.

Old
07-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Good news. Hennessy and Tardif can score at the AHL level. Hennessy is a center and they already have decent depth there. Tardif is a right wing.

This is important for Providence this season. They were short in the forwards, especially at RW.

Centers
Arniel
Hamill
Camper
Hennessy
Whitfield
Chaput

Right Wing
Caron
Tardif
Randell
MacDonald
Riendeau

Left Wing
Sauve
Cunningham
Roussel
MacDermid
Smotherman

The gauntlet will really be thrown down for Zach Hamill with the depth at center. It will be interesting to see if he can actually challenge to be on the first line, or if he will fall down the depth chart below Whitfield and Hennessy.

Camper and Arniel will both probably be moved to wing.

Early guess at a projected lineup:

Sauve - Hamill - Caron
Arniel - Whitfield - Tardif
Cunningham - Hennessy - Camper
(Khokhlachev - Spooner - Knight)(Playoffs)

*As I alluded to earlier, Hamill and Hennessy might easily be switched.

Old
07-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Jeff077

What are the chances Whitfield sticks in Boston as the 13th forward?
If Pouliot is plugged in on the 3rd line, that gives the B's 12 forwards. Would it make more sense to have Whitfield as the 13th and let Arniel and Caron continue to play big minutes in Providence?
The signing of Tardif could replace Whitfield as a leader in the dressing room.

Closed Thread