HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Why do people say the NBA is full of thugs when the NFL is just as bad?

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Melrose Munch

vCash: 500
Why do people say the NBA is full of thugs when the NFL is just as bad?

Seriously. All I hear from some people is how is the NBA full of thugs and etc. but the NFL is just as bad. Many more players in the NFL get into trouble but the NBA has the problem? Why?

Old
07-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Melrose Munch

nothing?

Old
07-02-2011, 04:20 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Seriously. All I hear from some people is how is the NBA full of thugs and etc. but the NFL is just as bad. Many more players in the NFL get into trouble but the NBA has the problem? Why?
1) Have any statistics to back this up?

2) Are those adjusted to a % rate?

Old
07-02-2011, 04:20 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

My guess would be its a lot easier to view an NBA player than an NFL player on the field/court and the NBA attire out on the court as well. Perception is everything.

I would say that the NFL definitely is just as bad, but as you said, they have a much larger player pool, and a lot of unknown roster players who don't make headlines anyway compared to the NBA. I'm not a fan of the NBA, but I think the whole "thug" thing is blown out of porportion, but its the NBA's job to try and fix that image and stereotype as well.

Maybe its just my own perception, but overall the NBA back in the 90s seemed to have many more "classy" players, and by that more players with better attitudes, and winning attitudes as well. Not to say the NBA doesn't have those players now too, just doesnt seem they have as many.

Old
07-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
1) Have any statistics to back this up?

2) Are those adjusted to a % rate?
Just what I saw, may not be acurrate, but I feel just as many playerd from the NFL get into trouble, although my history teacher told me in grade 6 that in 2003 20% of NFLPA members had a crim record.

Old
07-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Just what I saw, may not be acurrate, but I feel just as many playerd from the NFL get into trouble, although my history teacher told me in grade 6 that in 2003 20% of NFLPA members had a crim record.
So your history teacher in grade 6 is your source?

Old
07-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
So your history teacher in grade 6 is your source?
Yeah, can't find a web one right now.

Besides might point was that their is bias against the NBA when there should be one against the NFL for similar reasons.

Old
07-02-2011, 07:50 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
The NFL poster boys are mostly white (Manning, Brady, Brees), that would be my explanation. It is a very sad thing, but I think it is the answer.

Old
07-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
because people on HF hate basketball, football not so much. People around here will try crap on the NBA for any reason they can.

Old
07-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Best I could do, from college football:

Quote:
Seven percent of the players in the preseason Top 25 -- 204 in all (1 of every 14) -- had been charged with or cited for a crime, including dozens of players with multiple arrests.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ime/index.html

Old
07-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armond White View Post
Best I could do, from college football:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ime/index.html
Thanks.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:16 PM
JCD

Quote:
Thanks.
Well...

Your two data points to date are your 6th grade teacher who said 20% of NBAers have criminal records, versus 7% of the schools ranked in the pre-season top-25.

Even igonring the silliness of both samples, this shouldn't need to be asked, which is the larger number, 7 or 20?

Old
07-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Brenton Williams

It's the same reason the majority of sports fans love fighting in hockey or a dugout clearing brawl in baseball, but when a fight breaks out in basketball those involved are labeled as thugs.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Well...

Your two data points to date are your 6th grade teacher who said 20% of NBAers have criminal records, versus 7% of the schools ranked in the pre-season top-25.

Even igonring the silliness of both samples, this shouldn't need to be asked, which is the larger number, 7 or 20?
I meant NFL Players. My point was people are more biased against the NBA even though the NFL has the same problems.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:30 AM
Melrose Munch

http://www.jlcauvin.com/wordpress/?p=1628

This is what I am getting at.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Because basketball is ****ing stupid, that's why.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
07-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Because basketball is ****ing stupid, that's why.
And the NFL is not. right.

Let's watch a bunch of guys push each other around for 30 seconds followed buy 2 min of ads

Baseball.

The most boring thing ever. Guys standing around for 3 hours with fat guys hitting a ball.

Hockey

lets watch some idiot fight or see a really puck go into a net from bleeder seats.

Soccer

I have seen less diving at the local pool

etc.

Anyone can do this.

Please answer the thread question seriously.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:47 AM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
There's a heavy anti-basketball bias at work, mainly. Football is one of the pillars of folksy, god fearing, apple pie Americana. People seem good at looking the other way in football circles.

Also, basketball is completely overshadowed by the NHL in Canada (on this board too, for obvious reasons).

Not to mention an unfortunate amount of racial stereotyping.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:55 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
You've seriously never heard someone say the same thing about the NFL? I've heard many people say the NFL is full of criminals and thugs as well.

Old
07-03-2011, 03:15 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFifthStaal View Post
You've seriously never heard someone say the same thing about the NFL? I've heard many people say the NFL is full of criminals and thugs as well.
Hell, didn't Ray Lewis almost say something close to that LOL

Old
07-03-2011, 05:27 AM
JCD

Quote:
http://www.jlcauvin.com/wordpress/?p=1628

This is what I am getting at.
NFL is second on that, so clearly it has image concerns as well. And it is a predominately black league too.

What you have not provided to date is any statistics bearing out the claim that NFLers commit just as many crimes as NBAers. NFL does have some thugs in it. No doubt.

A major difference between the two is that the NFL has done more to address that situation. They perform mandatory drug testing (and enforce suspensions for failures) and now expended that rule-of-law to include personal conduct. Big Ben has yet to even be charged with a crime, yet he was suspended for 4 games strictly based on the allegations of wrong doing. How many games did Kobe miss?

Old
07-03-2011, 08:11 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
At least NFL players don't bring guns into the locker room, just everywhere else.

Old
07-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
The NFL poster boys are mostly white (Manning, Brady, Brees), that would be my explanation. It is a very sad thing, but I think it is the answer.
Unfortunately this is true. If the NBA were to find it's next Larry Bird, Pistol Pete Maravich, and Bob Cousy all this "thug" talk would diminish dramatically.

I don't if the NFL is worse than the NBA for thuggery but...............
When was the last time an NBA player killed his pregnant girlfriend?
When was the last time an NBA player ran a dog-fighting ring?
When's the last time an NBA hall of famer killed his ex-wife and her acquaintance?

When an NBA player gets in trouble with the law, it's a reflection on the league. When an NFL player gets in trouble with the law, it's an isolated incident.

Old
07-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Francesa
ヽ(。_°)ノ

No, it's not dismissed as "isolated" anymore.

NFL has had a lot of malcontents lately so they're not dismissed as "isolated" anymore. Kenny Britt claiming he was "hacked" after he told Goodell to **** off, Plaxico shooting himself in the foot, the Tampa Bay player who got caught skipping on his bill, et cetera. Even Whitey himself has been the victim of alleged wrongdoings and massive hate. ****, people even rooted against the Steelers in the Super Bowl just because Ben Roethlisberger was an alleged rapist, some sort of "moral high ground"

Old
07-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
NFL is second on that, so clearly it has image concerns as well. And it is a predominately black league too.

What you have not provided to date is any statistics bearing out the claim that NFLers commit just as many crimes as NBAers. NFL does have some thugs in it. No doubt.

A major difference between the two is that the NFL has done more to address that situation. They perform mandatory drug testing (and enforce suspensions for failures) and now expended that rule-of-law to include personal conduct. Big Ben has yet to even be charged with a crime, yet he was suspended for 4 games strictly based on the allegations of wrong doing. How many games did Kobe miss?
I have to agree here. There has been no mandate of punishment

Stern banned baggy panmts from the arenas. He mandated suits etc. But other than that, nothing, although, I'd like to point out the NFL is not as judged based on appearance.

Closed Thread