HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does The Connolly Signing Make Grabovski Expendable?

Old
07-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Drew311
Play Me

vCash: 500
Does The Connolly Signing Make Grabovski Expendable?

Burke is not an idiot. There is no way that he thinks Connolly is the answer to the Leafs #1 centre need. Connolly is a good option as a playmaking #2 centre who can kill penalties, we know that, and Burke knows that.

We also know that Burke likes to get the most he can out of the players that he doesn't consider part of the core. I'm only guessing, but he may not consider Grabovski and Kulemin part of the core going forward. We all know how he prefers North American players, and shipping out two valuable assets entering the primes of their respective careers may be what he's thinking.

There was talk that Kulemin was involved in the Richards trade discussion (although no one knows what really happened there). Kulemin and Grabovski will also be up for big pay raises soon, which Burke may not feel comfortable giving them.

All of this makes me wonder if these two (or just Grabovski) will be shipped out this summer in a package to acquire a star #1 centre that the Leafs still desperately need.

Thoughts?

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Burke is not an idiot. There is no way that he thinks Connolly is the answer to the Leafs #1 centre need. Connolly is a good option as a playmaking #2 centre who can kill penalties, we know that, and Burke knows that.

We also know that Burke likes to get the most he can out of the players that he doesn't consider part of the core. I'm only guessing, but he may not consider Grabovski and Kulemin part of the core going forward. We all know how he prefers North American players, and shipping out two valuable assets entering the primes of their respective careers may be what he's thinking.

There was talk that Kulemin was involved in the Richards trade discussion (although no one really knows what really happened there). Kulemin and Grabovski will also be up for big pay raises soon, which Burke may not feel comfortable giving them.

All of this makes me wonder if these two (or just Grabovski) will be shipped out this summer in a package to acquire a star #1 centre that the Leafs still desperately need.

Thoughts?
No, we don't.

Nazem Gretzky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:17 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

Yes if he is traded in a package for a #1 center. But I understand a lot of people will say no due to the chemistry of his line.

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:18 PM
LC

Anybody is expendable as long as it makes the team better.

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Baba Ganoush

anything can happen, and there might be offers that blow Burke away...but i don't think this signing makes Grabovski expendable at all. if Kulemin and Grabovski have seasons similar to last season, lock them up...especially Kulemin imo.

i like the Connolly signing. it was smart because if he stays healthy, he's a legitimate top 6 point producer. this signing was basically insulation for Kadri & Colborne. in that sense, it was smart.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Classy View Post
No, we don't.
You haven't seen a trend in his drafting/trade record since he's been here?

Old
07-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I can see it happening trading for a first line center yes.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
anything can happen, and there might be offers that blow Burke away...but i don't think this signing makes Grabovski expendable at all. if Kulemin and Grabovski have seasons similar to last season, lock them up...especially Kulemin imo.

i like the Connolly signing. it was smart because if he stays healthy, he's a legitimate top 6 point producer. this signing was basically insulation for Kadri & Colborne. in that sense, it was smart.
I'm not questioning the signing, nor if Kulemin is part of the core. Personally I don't mind the signing and hope they resign Kulemin for another 5 - 7 years. I just have a feeling something is up, because the recent additions still don't make us significantly better. Burke wants nothing more for his team than to make the playoffs next year. The Connolly and Liles pickups don't exactly assure us of this.

Old
07-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

No. If we can't get a #1 center in our life time, the team can still be very strong with 3 #2 centers. Kind of like in 2006-2007 when Buffalo had Drury, Briere, and Roy as their top 3. Anything that doesn't include Sjostrom, and Brent on the 3rd line like we had early last year when we got shutout so many times, is a drastic improvement.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Crazy Monkey

getting a true # 1 makes grabo "expendable"...but as it is right now, he's the best center we have who has great chemistry with his linemates

Crazy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:26 PM
jiminygillickrs

Quote:

There was talk that Kulemin was involved in the Richards trade discussion (although no one knows what really happened there). Kulemin and Grabovski will also be up for big pay raises soon, which Burke may not feel comfortable giving them.

Thoughts?
Very interesting take on things. Never thought of it this way, but you're totally right. A package of Grabo/Kuli is very appealing to other teams.

jiminygillickrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:27 PM
jaateloauto
Nothing is overrated

No. Connolly is a stop gap, he doesn't make Grabovski anything. He's just as expendable as before, meaning if the right offer comes along, anyone on this team can be traded.

Quote:
You haven't seen a trend in his drafting/trade record since he's been here?
Have you?

jaateloauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:27 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Well OP I think your first sentence might be questionable. Not going to make any assumptions about Burke after all the time he's been here .

But honestly no I don't think it makes Grabo expendable. Connolly isn't healthy enough to replace Grabo if he's somehow moved for a real #1 center. He's just a stop gap to make it so we don't have Bozak at the top spot for 82 games, just maybe half that....

FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Christ

Connolly does not make Grabs expendible in any way...he is a good and sometimes great player but he is an injury waiting to happen. Had I been in Burkes shoes, I would not have made the pitch to a player like this as I prefer to have an important player on the bench rather than the IR. If he can stay off the IR, he will be a good signing but I have no faith in this man's ability to stay healthy for any length of time...he is simply brittle.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:29 PM
I Believe

I think Grabovski is more valuable then Connolly at this point. This just seem like a stopgap/Plan B.

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:29 PM
RyanMac

Send a message via AIM to RyanMac Send a message via MSN to RyanMac
Grabovski is a young player that seems to be improving throughout his time with Toronto. I don't think signing an unreliable and injury prone Connolly makes Grabo expendable.

07-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Pulp Fiction
RIP Wade Belak

I'd much rather have Grabo than Connolly.

Pulp Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:30 PM
wandering goat

I think Grabovski is a very valuable part of our team. He's not expendable unless he's somehow included in a deal for a top-notch no. 1 center, which I find pretty unlikely to happen. People are much too quick to always toss his name out as being expendable when the offense his line provided carried our team last year. We can't just compete with one good center, one way or another. Having a very good number 2 line is going to be a key component in us becoming and staying competitive IMO.

wandering goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:31 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Grabo isnt going anywhere. Yet.

He is a UFA next summer so he doesn't hold enough value to trade for a true number 1. At this point I have to think Grabo is more in the long term plans than TC but if he doesn't repeat his performance from last season next season that could change.

Right now my guess is Grabs gets another contract after this one and TC doesn't. But their play in the up coming season could change that.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:31 PM
DionPhaneuf3

Our line 2 is solid. Grabovski is probably a better center than connolly, so i dont see why we would trade him. We have issues with our top line, not a good center and unproven left wing. Line 2 is good and i dont see any reason to break them up, it would only hurt us. Unless we can package grabovski for a star player i dont see him moving.

DionPhaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:33 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

I don't think Connolly makes Grabovski expendable, it just gives us more options. I posted this in another thread,

Grabovski, Komisarek and a 1st for Stastny. Connolly takes Grabovski's spot as a stop gap 2nd line center until one of Kadri or Colborne are ready. Stastny on Kessel's line.

Colorado gets a 2nd line center to play behind Duchene and goes well above the cap floor.

Lupul - Stastny - Kessel
Kulemin - Connolly - MacArthur

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:36 PM
mulebreath

"Hi, we have a #2 center, we would like your #1 center in return. "
"Sure... wait, that's not fair"
"Damn.... alright, you can have Sjostrom as well"
"Now, you're talking."

Grabovski is the top center in the organization. How does taking a chance on an injury-prone stopgap make him expendable?
If somebody is out there that's clearly better than Grabovski, why would that team trade him? And for someone not as good? I'd love to see that deal.
That line was dynamite last year, I wish people would just enjoy it instead of wanting to trade away the whole thing.

mulebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:37 PM
reza87

It doesn't make him expendable but it makes him easier to trade for us. I don't see the point in shoring up our weakest position only to weaken it again by trading our best centre from last year unless there is a substantial upgrade.

San Jose has been threatening to blow it all up for a few years now, I wonder if a deal could be worked out. Somehow I don't think Burns-Seto transaction is the end of it.

reza87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:37 PM
seanlinden

Grabo was 'expendable' before Connolly and is after the signing, with the caveat on 'expendable' being in exchange for a #1 centre.

Signing Tim Connolly is simply the best option we had. If we can trade for a #1 centre then great, if not, we'll have to run with a pair of #2s.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:38 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Grabo was 'expendable' before Connolly and is after the signing, with the caveat on 'expendable' being in exchange for a #1 centre.

Signing Tim Connolly is simply the best option we had. If we can trade for a #1 centre then great, if not, we'll have to run with a pair of #2s.
For some reason I expected you to hate this signing.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote