HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Excited for 2011-12 (Next season discussion/lineups)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2011, 05:55 PM
  #76
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,998
vCash: 500
I am a Gomez supporter and have been since we acquired him through trade. He is still a very skilled playmaker and is one of the only players on the team that can gain the offensive zone easily. He is also one of the top playoff performers in the league.

I am going to go on record saying Gomez will play some time on the first line next season, and some time on the second. He will record at least 55 points.

He had one mediocre season, let's see what he can do with actual solid linemates next season.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:57 PM
  #77
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
I am a Gomez supporter and have been since we acquired him through trade. He is still a very skilled playmaker and is one of the only players on the team that can gain the offensive zone easily. He is also one of the top playoff performers in the league.

I am going to go on record saying Gomez will play some time on the first line next season, and some time on the second. He will record at least 55 points.

He had one mediocre season, let's see what he can do with actual solid linemates next season.
I'd say the last 3 years have been sub par. 08/09, and 09/10 were sub par, while 10/11 was just downright poor.

remember, when the habs picked him up in 08/09, the hope was that he was just coming off a bad year and that he would rebound.... instead, its gotten worse.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:59 PM
  #78
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysInTheAttic View Post
What kids?
I didn't mean you in particular, I meant this forum as a whole.

And any kids we've had lately.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:01 PM
  #79
ToysInTheAttic
Registered User
 
ToysInTheAttic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Treatment varies by player more than by age. Stage of development also matters. Players early in their stage of development are more susceptible to coaching techniques that may be viewed as harsh. On the flip side, such 'punishment' imposed on a veteran player may be looked upon as embarrassing and humiliating--which is a good way to alienate players.
I agree with this assessment.

Also, we need to take into account the fact that Markov was injured immediately at the start of the season. This translated into the fact that the best forward players had to pick up the slack. Gorges being injured put even more pressure on the top players.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:11 PM
  #80
Lafleurr
Registered User
 
Lafleurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
I am a Gomez supporter and have been since we acquired him through trade. He is still a very skilled playmaker and is one of the only players on the team that can gain the offensive zone easily. He is also one of the top playoff performers in the league.

I am going to go on record saying Gomez will play some time on the first line next season, and some time on the second. He will record at least 55 points.

He had one mediocre season, let's see what he can do with actual solid linemates next season.
As of now I'm definitely not the biggest Gomez fan, but I can understand where you're going with your last point.

Lafleurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:12 PM
  #81
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I'd say the last 3 years have been sub par. 08/09, and 09/10 were sub par, while 10/11 was just downright poor.

remember, when the habs picked him up in 08/09, the hope was that he was just coming off a bad year and that he would rebound.... instead, its gotten worse.
I struggle seeing how two 60-point seasons are sub-par for a second liner. I think if we could get that production out of him next year we would be set.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:18 PM
  #82
ToysInTheAttic
Registered User
 
ToysInTheAttic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I didn't mean you in particular, I meant this forum as a whole.

And any kids we've had lately.
To me, Gomez's production was a result of the injuries to the Hab's D corp. I didn't ever see where he slacked off during the season, he always put out a 100% effort every game imo. To me, his point result was the consequence of covering for a decimated defence.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:21 PM
  #83
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysInTheAttic View Post
To me, Gomez's production was a result of the injuries to the Hab's D corp. I didn't ever see where he slacked off during the season, he always put out a 100% effort every game imo. To me, his point result was the consequence of covering for a decimated defence.
fair enough. I thought he was horrendous defensively last year though.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:29 PM
  #84
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?
 
dynastyREredux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: All over Canada
Posts: 1,270
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
fair enough. I thought he was horrendous defensively last year though.
He was. I'd love to get rid of him because even at the high end he's not worth his contract but I think it's fair to say he'll likely be better next year. Advanced metrics say he was probably at least partially unlucky but more than that I think things just snowballed on him. I suppose just like the baseball player who isn't hitting and brings it with him into the field and can't catch anything either. I think it became a massive confidence issue as things went on.

I really like his chances of scoring 55-65 points next year. Again, still very overpaid but he's not utter garbage.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:37 PM
  #85
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
I know I will probably get flamed for this but here is an idea I have had for a little while now.

I would like to see Scott Gomez as the 4th line center.

I know the politics are totally against this happening. I mean the guy is the highest paid player in the history of the team, he was brought in to be a top-2 center, etc.

But let's look at the facts. The way he played last year, Gomez would be an awesome 4th line center. Perfect fit at this point. He skates extremely fast, carries the puck well, creates a good cycle in the offensive zone, and backchecks like crazy.
He doesn't backcheck

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:39 PM
  #86
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby
 
RoyBoyCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lennoxville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,090
vCash: 500
I'd want Gomez as far down the depth chart as humanly possible, so the 4th line would be a step in the right direction AFIAC

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:42 PM
  #87
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,105
vCash: 500
I'd like to get rid of him at one point but what I really want is for him to succeed and help the team. So I'm crossing my fingers and hopping things fall in to place this season. So no...I dont really want him on a 4th line.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:52 PM
  #88
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,356
vCash: 500
Yeah, no.

He has to get the chance to bounce back to form next year. We will not and we cannot put him on the 4th line. If it gets to that point, we're in trouble. He'll start the year on the 1B line (Cammy-Plek-Cole and Patches-Gomer-Gio are pretty much interchangeable, at least one would assume), and hopefully he clicks and we forget about this year.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:32 PM
  #89
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,164
vCash: 500
Great offensive upside for the coming season but still too soft.

The bullies in the NHL, especially the Eastern teams, will have a field day with our non-combative lineup. Pretty much anything goes when it comes to playing the Habs.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:41 PM
  #90
Russian Warrior
SWAG
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Great offensive upside for the coming season but still too soft.

The bullies in the NHL, especially the Eastern teams, will have a field day with our non-combative lineup. Pretty much anything goes when it comes to playing the Habs.
We'll be skating circles around the Eastern teams... With DD-Eller-Andrei as our 3rd line, it's going to be a fun year. Also, I can't wait to see Emelin, Markov, Gorges and the evolution of the young Weber.

We only need to sign a fourth liner and we're set.

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:51 PM
  #91
Lafleurr
Registered User
 
Lafleurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Don't bully Le Gomez.

Lafleurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:53 PM
  #92
ToysInTheAttic
Registered User
 
ToysInTheAttic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Warrior View Post
We'll be skating circles around the Eastern teams... With DD-Eller-Andrei as our 3rd line, it's going to be a fun year. Also, I can't wait to see Emelin, Markov, Gorges and the evolution of the young Weber.

We only need to sign a fourth liner and we're set.
I agree. And, judging by Gauthier's management this off-season, this is the line-up needed to be a legitimate contender.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:08 PM
  #93
Cupmonger
Registered User
 
Cupmonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 3,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Treatment varies by player more than by age. Stage of development also matters. Players early in their stage of development are more susceptible to coaching techniques that may be viewed as harsh. On the flip side, such 'punishment' imposed on a veteran player may be looked upon as embarrassing and humiliating--which is a good way to alienate players.
I agree, my point wasn't that if he wants to scratch Subban for 3 games, he should do the same with vets. Quite the opposite, if Subban kept ****ing up all the time, sure bench him. Look, if you're willing to be patient with vets, then show a bit of patience with rookies and instead tell them what they did wrong then fix it. Keep doing the same mistake? Bench the player. So far for a rookie it's been, do something bad so get one of the following: scratched, reduced time for rest of game or get demoted to lower trios for a few weeks. And I don't agree with that.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:40 PM
  #94
Crusher20
Registered User
 
Crusher20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 4,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
If gomez can produce 60 pts and pleks is healthy all season ill say straight up we are in top 3 in the conference and possible contenders... but ill say too that i expect no more than 45 pts.

For me we dont look like a team that wants to win the cup yet.. kings? Yes, Philly? Yes, Boston? Yes (they won it)

Is it me or we are the only huge market team that cant put their hands on a superstar? Its hard as a fan to really feel that will from the organisation.. oh i feel the violins coming out.. we love our team so much we are willing to accept it. When are we gonna land once again players like Turgeon and Recchi, in their almost prime once again?


Last edited by Crusher20: 07-02-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:35 PM
  #95
Pandemic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver. BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
If gomez can produce 60 pts and pleks is healthy all season ill say straight up we are in top 3 in the conference and possible contenders... but ill say too that i expect no more than 45 pts.

For me we dont look like a team that wants to win the cup yet.. kings? Yes, Philly? Yes, Boston? Yes (they won it)

Is it me or we are the only huge market team that cant put their hands on a superstar? Its hard as a fan to really feel that will from the organisation.. oh i feel the violins coming out.. we love our team so much we are willing to accept it. When are we gonna land once again players like Turgeon and Recchi, in their almost prime once again?
Hopefully not by trading excellent young star power forward and good defence prospects (like last time) lol.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:37 PM
  #96
habsrule22
Registered User
 
habsrule22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Powassan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Great offensive upside for the coming season but still too soft.

The bullies in the NHL, especially the Eastern teams, will have a field day with our non-combative lineup. Pretty much anything goes when it comes to playing the Habs.
If Habs have a good PP again and with markov back, we should have a pretty good pp. That will tone down the rough stuff quite a bit,

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:40 PM
  #97
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life
 
Turtleneck Plek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,130
vCash: 500
Love how a thread about being excited about next season turned into yet another Gomez debate. This is starting to be worse than Price/Halak.

Anyhow, definitely excited to see how Cole performs next year. I truly believe he's going to be the perfect complement to Cammy/Pleks. We'll have three offensive-driven lines and we should have a lot of firepower. Can't wait!

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:51 PM
  #98
Crusher20
Registered User
 
Crusher20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 4,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
Hopefully not by trading excellent young star power forward and good defence prospects (like last time) lol.
My points is we tried, didnt work out.. but we tried and no pain no gain.. funny how both recchi became premium players as they left.. now the question how you get them!? Uh oh! here comes the violins! Not enough money, not a big market, taxes, language, timing.

What matters is results and in montreal its excellence we should aim every year.

The team is better (if no d injuries) but not cup worthy, yet. Unless many play out of their mind.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:44 AM
  #99
Mr Rogers
Registered User
 
Mr Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 458
vCash: 500
One thing that intrigues me is a Pacioretty-Cole duo. I know management will want them on 2 different lines to balance things out but there's bound to be some line shuffling by Martin at some point in the season when a line gets cold or if there's injuries.

Seeing the 2 of them just putting on the jets and powering trough the outside or forechecking like crazy and pinning down defenders in their zone would be quite a thing to see.

I wonder what a Pacioretty-Plekanec-Cole line could do just out of curiosity.

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:53 AM
  #100
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,042
vCash: 500
Hilarious that people hope that Gomez centers the fourth line... Like really? That would basically mean he's been a lazy bum this summer and is even more of a terrible player than he was last year.

I hope he bounces back, I just don't believe very strongly that he will. I think he might have 40-something points, maybe as much as 55 if Gionta and Pacioretty have strong seasons. He can hardly do worse, especially since he's going to play with superior players (we basically added Cole, Pacioretty and Desharnais to replace Pouliot compared to last year's starting lineup. we shouldn't see Moen and Darche regularly with Gomez)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiGGy
I wonder what a Pacioretty-Plekanec-Cole line could do just out of curiosity.
Interesting idea! Woah that would be a very high powered and intense line. All 3 are excellent skaters and very hard working, Cole and Pacioretty both hit often and Plekanec has good puck handling and great defensive expertise. They'd do great at puck possession and would be a pain to play against.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Cole
Kostitsyn-Cammalleri-Gionta

then bench Gomez
hehe


Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 07-03-2011 at 04:58 AM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.