HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Excited for 2011-12 (Next season discussion/lineups)

Old
07-02-2011, 05:55 PM
JohnLennon

vCash: 500
I am a Gomez supporter and have been since we acquired him through trade. He is still a very skilled playmaker and is one of the only players on the team that can gain the offensive zone easily. He is also one of the top playoff performers in the league.

I am going to go on record saying Gomez will play some time on the first line next season, and some time on the second. He will record at least 55 points.

He had one mediocre season, let's see what he can do with actual solid linemates next season.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
I am a Gomez supporter and have been since we acquired him through trade. He is still a very skilled playmaker and is one of the only players on the team that can gain the offensive zone easily. He is also one of the top playoff performers in the league.

I am going to go on record saying Gomez will play some time on the first line next season, and some time on the second. He will record at least 55 points.

He had one mediocre season, let's see what he can do with actual solid linemates next season.
I'd say the last 3 years have been sub par. 08/09, and 09/10 were sub par, while 10/11 was just downright poor.

remember, when the habs picked him up in 08/09, the hope was that he was just coming off a bad year and that he would rebound.... instead, its gotten worse.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:59 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysInTheAttic View Post
What kids?
I didn't mean you in particular, I meant this forum as a whole.

And any kids we've had lately.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:01 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Treatment varies by player more than by age. Stage of development also matters. Players early in their stage of development are more susceptible to coaching techniques that may be viewed as harsh. On the flip side, such 'punishment' imposed on a veteran player may be looked upon as embarrassing and humiliating--which is a good way to alienate players.
I agree with this assessment.

Also, we need to take into account the fact that Markov was injured immediately at the start of the season. This translated into the fact that the best forward players had to pick up the slack. Gorges being injured put even more pressure on the top players.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Lafleurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post

As of now I'm definitely not the biggest Gomez fan, but I can understand where you're going with your last point.

Lafleurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:12 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I'd say the last 3 years have been sub par. 08/09, and 09/10 were sub par, while 10/11 was just downright poor.

remember, when the habs picked him up in 08/09, the hope was that he was just coming off a bad year and that he would rebound.... instead, its gotten worse.
I struggle seeing how two 60-point seasons are sub-par for a second liner. I think if we could get that production out of him next year we would be set.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:18 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I didn't mean you in particular, I meant this forum as a whole.

And any kids we've had lately.
To me, Gomez's production was a result of the injuries to the Hab's D corp. I didn't ever see where he slacked off during the season, he always put out a 100% effort every game imo. To me, his point result was the consequence of covering for a decimated defence.

Old
07-02-2011, 06:21 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysInTheAttic View Post
To me, Gomez's production was a result of the injuries to the Hab's D corp. I didn't ever see where he slacked off during the season, he always put out a 100% effort every game imo. To me, his point result was the consequence of covering for a decimated defence.
fair enough. I thought he was horrendous defensively last year though.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:29 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
fair enough. I thought he was horrendous defensively last year though.
He was. I'd love to get rid of him because even at the high end he's not worth his contract but I think it's fair to say he'll likely be better next year. Advanced metrics say he was probably at least partially unlucky but more than that I think things just snowballed on him. I suppose just like the baseball player who isn't hitting and brings it with him into the field and can't catch anything either. I think it became a massive confidence issue as things went on.

I really like his chances of scoring 55-65 points next year. Again, still very overpaid but he's not utter garbage.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:37 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
I know I will probably get flamed for this but here is an idea I have had for a little while now.

I would like to see Scott Gomez as the 4th line center.

I know the politics are totally against this happening. I mean the guy is the highest paid player in the history of the team, he was brought in to be a top-2 center, etc.

But let's look at the facts. The way he played last year, Gomez would be an awesome 4th line center. Perfect fit at this point. He skates extremely fast, carries the puck well, creates a good cycle in the offensive zone, and backchecks like crazy.
He doesn't backcheck

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:39 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

I'd want Gomez as far down the depth chart as humanly possible, so the 4th line would be a step in the right direction AFIAC

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:42 PM
znk

I'd like to get rid of him at one point but what I really want is for him to succeed and help the team. So I'm crossing my fingers and hopping things fall in to place this season. So no...I dont really want him on a 4th line.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Yeah, no.

He has to get the chance to bounce back to form next year. We will not and we cannot put him on the 4th line. If it gets to that point, we're in trouble. He'll start the year on the 1B line (Cammy-Plek-Cole and Patches-Gomer-Gio are pretty much interchangeable, at least one would assume), and hopefully he clicks and we forget about this year.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:32 PM
SouthernHab

Great offensive upside for the coming season but still too soft.

The bullies in the NHL, especially the Eastern teams, will have a field day with our non-combative lineup. Pretty much anything goes when it comes to playing the Habs.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

The bullies in the NHL, especially the Eastern teams, will have a field day with our non-combative lineup. Pretty much anything goes when it comes to playing the Habs.
We'll be skating circles around the Eastern teams... With DD-Eller-Andrei as our 3rd line, it's going to be a fun year. Also, I can't wait to see Emelin, Markov, Gorges and the evolution of the young Weber.

We only need to sign a fourth liner and we're set.

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Lafleurr

Don't bully Le Gomez.

Lafleurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:53 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Warrior View Post
We'll be skating circles around the Eastern teams... With DD-Eller-Andrei as our 3rd line, it's going to be a fun year. Also, I can't wait to see Emelin, Markov, Gorges and the evolution of the young Weber.

We only need to sign a fourth liner and we're set.
I agree. And, judging by Gauthier's management this off-season, this is the line-up needed to be a legitimate contender.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Treatment varies by player more than by age. Stage of development also matters. Players early in their stage of development are more susceptible to coaching techniques that may be viewed as harsh. On the flip side, such 'punishment' imposed on a veteran player may be looked upon as embarrassing and humiliating--which is a good way to alienate players.
I agree, my point wasn't that if he wants to scratch Subban for 3 games, he should do the same with vets. Quite the opposite, if Subban kept ****ing up all the time, sure bench him. Look, if you're willing to be patient with vets, then show a bit of patience with rookies and instead tell them what they did wrong then fix it. Keep doing the same mistake? Bench the player. So far for a rookie it's been, do something bad so get one of the following: scratched, reduced time for rest of game or get demoted to lower trios for a few weeks. And I don't agree with that.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
If gomez can produce 60 pts and pleks is healthy all season ill say straight up we are in top 3 in the conference and possible contenders... but ill say too that i expect no more than 45 pts.

For me we dont look like a team that wants to win the cup yet.. kings? Yes, Philly? Yes, Boston? Yes (they won it)

Is it me or we are the only huge market team that cant put their hands on a superstar? Its hard as a fan to really feel that will from the organisation.. oh i feel the violins coming out.. we love our team so much we are willing to accept it. When are we gonna land once again players like Turgeon and Recchi, in their almost prime once again?

Last edited by Crusher20: 07-02-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
If gomez can produce 60 pts and pleks is healthy all season ill say straight up we are in top 3 in the conference and possible contenders... but ill say too that i expect no more than 45 pts.

For me we dont look like a team that wants to win the cup yet.. kings? Yes, Philly? Yes, Boston? Yes (they won it)

Is it me or we are the only huge market team that cant put their hands on a superstar? Its hard as a fan to really feel that will from the organisation.. oh i feel the violins coming out.. we love our team so much we are willing to accept it. When are we gonna land once again players like Turgeon and Recchi, in their almost prime once again?
Hopefully not by trading excellent young star power forward and good defence prospects (like last time) lol.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:37 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

If Habs have a good PP again and with markov back, we should have a pretty good pp. That will tone down the rough stuff quite a bit,

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Love how a thread about being excited about next season turned into yet another Gomez debate. This is starting to be worse than Price/Halak.

Anyhow, definitely excited to see how Cole performs next year. I truly believe he's going to be the perfect complement to Cammy/Pleks. We'll have three offensive-driven lines and we should have a lot of firepower. Can't wait!

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
Hopefully not by trading excellent young star power forward and good defence prospects (like last time) lol.
My points is we tried, didnt work out.. but we tried and no pain no gain.. funny how both recchi became premium players as they left.. now the question how you get them!? Uh oh! here comes the violins! Not enough money, not a big market, taxes, language, timing.

What matters is results and in montreal its excellence we should aim every year.

The team is better (if no d injuries) but not cup worthy, yet. Unless many play out of their mind.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Mr Rogers

One thing that intrigues me is a Pacioretty-Cole duo. I know management will want them on 2 different lines to balance things out but there's bound to be some line shuffling by Martin at some point in the season when a line gets cold or if there's injuries.

Seeing the 2 of them just putting on the jets and powering trough the outside or forechecking like crazy and pinning down defenders in their zone would be quite a thing to see.

I wonder what a Pacioretty-Plekanec-Cole line could do just out of curiosity.

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:53 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Hilarious that people hope that Gomez centers the fourth line... Like really? That would basically mean he's been a lazy bum this summer and is even more of a terrible player than he was last year.

I hope he bounces back, I just don't believe very strongly that he will. I think he might have 40-something points, maybe as much as 55 if Gionta and Pacioretty have strong seasons. He can hardly do worse, especially since he's going to play with superior players (we basically added Cole, Pacioretty and Desharnais to replace Pouliot compared to last year's starting lineup. we shouldn't see Moen and Darche regularly with Gomez)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiGGy
I wonder what a Pacioretty-Plekanec-Cole line could do just out of curiosity.
Interesting idea! Woah that would be a very high powered and intense line. All 3 are excellent skaters and very hard working, Cole and Pacioretty both hit often and Plekanec has good puck handling and great defensive expertise. They'd do great at puck possession and would be a pain to play against.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Cole
Kostitsyn-Cammalleri-Gionta

then bench Gomez
hehe

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 07-03-2011 at 04:58 AM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote