HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Smith 2 year 2 Mil per

Old
07-01-2011, 03:52 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

vCash: 500
Pang had some good things to say about Smith including he though he was coming into his own before getting hurt last year. He wouldn't be the first goalie to take a while to get his game right. Let's hope.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Gwyddbwyll

There was a good argument that the Isles are better off keeping Nabokov for the start of the season. If Mike Smith doesnt start well, hopefully we can trade for Nabby.

Vokoun costs a lot and has a very short shelf life - never really expected him here but maybe there's a chance with Colorado and Florida done. I just dont want to tie up our goaltending with a big expensive contract when guys like Nabokov, Schneider, Bobrovsky could be hitting the market soon.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Vip
****n good milkshake

vCash: 50
Mike Smith woo..

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:23 PM
_Del_

I like it. He's got some upside. He's a bandaid, but a good one, and it didn't cost us an arm or leg in money (or other assets). If the system has made LaBarbera (who in my mind is terrible) look adequate, I have higher hopes from Smith.

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:47 PM

It hurts when you see Vokoun sign a 1 year deal with the Caps for $1.5. I know that he maneuvered himself out of the market by not signing quicker, but playing for a contender like the Caps is by no means a loss for Vokoun.

Guest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:59 PM
PhoPhan

I'm thinking Vokoun saw it was a weak market and went where he thought would boost his value the most in the next year.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:14 PM
SweYote

Obviously he would not have signed for anything close to 1,5 with the Coyotes. This was about going to a contender much more than it was about the dollars. I'm happy with Mike Smith as our goalie considering the list of UFA goalies we were looking at.

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:44 PM
DesertDawg

So are we all in agreement that Smitty is the leading candidate to win the Vezina this season???

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Jakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
So are we all in agreement that Smitty is the leading candidate to win the Vezina this season???
He played better than Brys did in the playoffs, I think Brys is overated and expensive as hell!

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Jakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post
Obviously he would not have signed for anything close to 1,5 with the Coyotes. This was about going to a contender much more than it was about the dollars. I'm happy with Mike Smith as our goalie considering the list of UFA goalies we were looking at.
I agree!

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
He played better than Brys did in the playoffs, I think Brys is overated and expensive as hell!
How well did he play in the last two seasons? Not just three games. Please don't compare the two players to eachother. One is one of the worst starting goalies in the league, the other is in the top-ten.

If I wasn't stuck at work, sitting infront of a computer all day. I'd be in a better world, ignoring this entire off-season.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:18 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
It hurts when you see Vokoun sign a 1 year deal with the Caps for $1.5. I know that he maneuvered himself out of the market by not signing quicker, but playing for a contender like the Caps is by no means a loss for Vokoun.
We did not choose smith over Vokoun. Vokoun chose Washington over us.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:21 PM
SweYote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
How well did he play in the last two seasons? Not just three games. Please don't compare the two players to eachother. One is one of the worst starting goalies in the league, the other is in the top-ten.

If I wasn't stuck at work, sitting infront of a computer all day. I'd be in a better world, ignoring this entire off-season.
I think there is reason to believe Mike Smith is a goalie who is just about to step up. He will play with better D than he did in Tampa and that might do him good.

Old
07-02-2011, 08:04 PM
kingbrutis

Well be just fine. Hope he comes in and gets adjusted. If 30 games in he is terrible, you know GMDM will make a move. I dont know, but is Visiten going to be playing for Portland this season?

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrutis View Post
Well be just fine. Hope he comes in and gets adjusted. If 30 games in he is terrible, you know GMDM will make a move. I dont know, but is Visiten going to be playing for Portland this season?
Visentin is not eligible for the AHL. Its either NHL or juniors for him, and we all know its not gonna be NHL for him this year.

Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:15 PM
87turbobuick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
Pang had some good things to say about Smith including he though he was coming into his own before getting hurt last year. He wouldn't be the first goalie to take a while to get his game right. Let's hope.
Pang just talks and talks and talks and talks and talks and never makes a cogent point. He will say whatever it takes to get air time. I was ecstatic when he deserted the team and went to St Louis.

Smith is a reach but he played ok for coach when they were in Dallas so there is hope.

87turbobuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:04 PM
IdealisticSniper

Let me help you guys with some quick stuff on Mike Smith.

When we first got Smith he was on a torrid pace and was playing amazing. Literally All-Star caliber for about 45 games or so. Then Prospal effectively ended his chance to become an "elite" goalie by kneeing him in the head and giving him his first concussion.

Smith has never been the same.

There was a point where there was a stretch of about a month where he looked to be back on track. We were all getting excited. Then he got hurt again. After that hes been very inconsistent and pretty much a mental case.

Bottom line is Mike Smith can sometimes look like a world beater. But just when you think hes "back to form", he becomes the guy everyone in the world can beat.

Hes a great guy, great locker room guy, very very funny personality. He will steal a few games for you, and he handles the puck very very well but that is sometimes his downfall as well.

I wish him the best, but I dont see him as any type of real solution for anyones number one goalie problems.

Here is a vid of a way too common occurrence when Smith thinks he can handle everything himself.

Good luck guys.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Magnifique

It doesn't sound like the guy who wanted him (Burke) thinks he is a number one goalie either. He said he hopes, or thinks, he can become one. But hopefully "sooner than later", not exactly what I want to hear. Basically we are taking in someone we don't feel is a number one; hoping we can somehow make them one, at the age of 30. I feel like this is some kind of joke on the organization.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:47 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
It doesn't sound like the guy who wanted him (Burke) thinks he is a number one goalie either. He said he hopes, or thinks, he can become one. But hopefully "sooner than later", not exactly what I want to hear. Basically we are taking in someone we don't feel is a number one; hoping we can somehow make them one, at the age of 30. I feel like this is some kind of joke on the organization.
Burke was an older mediocre goalie prior to coming to Phoenix. He didn't become an elite netminder until very late in his career.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Burke was an older mediocre goalie prior to coming to Phoenix. He didn't become an elite netminder until very late in his career.
Point well taken.

Smith remains a gamble - just like Burke when he was signed. Burke paid off. Smith...?!?

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:04 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
WOW you hit my nerve.
I thought he was great for the Whalers and was ecstatic when the Coyotes got him. IMO, before he arrived in Phoenix he had personal issues which effected his play, but for the Whalers he was elite and their best player...

go ask Cheevers

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Kaizen

Had a pretty good start in Jersey as well.

Last edited by Kaizen: 07-02-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:07 PM
SweYote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
Point well taken.

Smith remains a gamble
- just like Burke when he was signed. Burke paid off. Smith...?!?
Exactly. Just like all the other goalies on the market. I would say signing Smith was the gamble with the best odds.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:10 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
WOW you hit my nerve.
I thought he was great for the Whalers and was ecstatic when the Coyotes got him. IMO, before he arrived in Phoenix he had personal issues which effected his play, but for the Whalers he was elite and their best player...

go ask Cheevers
Save percentage went up roughly by 0.15% in Phoenix. Doesn't sound like much but a .914 save percentage makes you a #1 Goalie. A .930% save percentage puts you in the conversation for Vezina.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

If we can get a .915 out of Smith, I'd be ecstatic, and the Yotes will win a lot of games.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote