HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Happy 10th Birthday PlayStation

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 500
Happy 10th Birthday PlayStation

Can't believe I forgot this yesterday...on September 9, 1995 the world of video games changed forever when Sony released it's groundbreaking PlayStation system. I think all gamers can agree that without the PlayStation coming around video games are not as big a part of society that they are today. The PlayStation transformed video games from a niche market to a entertainment powerhouse that rivals the movie industry in yearly gross sales.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
09-10-2005, 03:04 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Happy birthday, even though i've never owned a Playstation, PS2 or any other Sony gaming product.

Old
09-10-2005, 03:11 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjardus Greidanus
Can't believe I forgot this yesterday...on September 9, 1995 the world of video games changed forever when Sony released it's groundbreaking PlayStation system. I think all gamers can agree that without the PlayStation coming around video games are not as big a part of society that they are today. The PlayStation transformed video games from a niche market to a entertainment powerhouse that rivals the movie industry in yearly gross sales.

Ummm, I take it you're only 10? NES was sooo much bigger than the Playstation back in the day; a line of cereal, cartoons, magazines, a couple of movies...and even though it boggles my mind that people buy Pokemon and Nintendogs type "games", Nintendo manages to make a profit on their games and systems, both of which have MS and Sony in the red.

Even though I have a PS, a PS2, and a PSP, I wouldn't call the PS "revolutionary", it just happened to the first CD-based system that was successful. TG16 came out a good 4-5 years before the PS, then the Sega CD, and the Saturn wasn't too shabby either.

Old
09-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
If you want to get techincal, it came out in December of '94 in Japan, so it's been over 10 years. I didn't get my PSX till Resident Evil 1 came out, which was a year and a half after it came out, and about a month after it dropped in price.

Old
09-10-2005, 10:25 PM
acr*

this reminds us all of how ****ing stupid Nintendo was for scrapping Sony's CD add-on to the SNES that just happened to become the PS. It led to Square dumping Nintendo and siding with Sony, and later releasing probably the most successful(and overrated) game of the 90s in FFVII

Old
09-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
Ummm, I take it you're only 10? NES was sooo much bigger than the Playstation back in the day; a line of cereal, cartoons, magazines, a couple of movies...and even though it boggles my mind that people buy Pokemon and Nintendogs type "games", Nintendo manages to make a profit on their games and systems, both of which have MS and Sony in the red.

Even though I have a PS, a PS2, and a PSP, I wouldn't call the PS "revolutionary", it just happened to the first CD-based system that was successful. TG16 came out a good 4-5 years before the PS, then the Sega CD, and the Saturn wasn't too shabby either.
The NES is the most important system in history, no doubting that. But look at game sales back then, and today. When I was a kid video games were considered little more than an expensive kids toy. Now it's one of the biggest money cows in the world. Video games aren't a niche, they're popular culture.

The PlayStation wasn't the first CD-based system, just the best. Without the PlayStation...what happens? All those CD-based systems that came out before it...the CD-i, the 3DO, the Sega CD, even the Saturn...half-assed consoles that not only weren't succesful, but nearly killed or did kill the company that released it.

We never heard from Philips again. 3DO became a game developer, a small, crappy one at that, and Sega, despite the Dreamcast being one of the best systems ever, just wasn't able to get their reputation back level after the massive failures in the mid-90s.

Sony did it right. There's no doubting the winner of the last generation of games. The Nintendo 64 was video gaming in neutral, the Saturn was DOA, and the PlayStation has 35 million brothers residing in people's homes.

To coin an analogy here, the NES was saturday morning and the PlayStation was sunday night.

Old
09-10-2005, 11:10 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Im going to have to disagree and say N64 changed the way video games were looked at....Mario 64 was just amazing and graphics had never been seen like that before.

Old
09-11-2005, 12:04 AM
DJ Spinoza

If I'm not mistaken, the video/computer gaming industry is a giant cash cow that grosses more than the music and movie industry. Someone told me that, so it could be wrong.

Either way, the Playstation launched us into the forfront of whether we are now with video games.

Old
09-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Im going to have to disagree and say N64 changed the way video games were looked at....Mario 64 was just amazing and graphics had never been seen like that before.

Mario 64 was amazing. The system it was on was a piece of dog **** though.

Old
09-11-2005, 07:42 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Nah, the N64 failed because Nintendo still thought that they were the leaders of the industry and companies would bend over backwards to pay cartridge royalties, completely missing the evolutionary shift to CD's. Most of the 3rd party games couldn't hold up to what Sony could offer either.

As for the CD-i and 3DO, those were outliers; they were never really planned to be gaming systems, both though they could the ultimate set-top box for your TV, ie a multimedia machine. And the 3DO did have a couple decent games for it, it's just that it was before it's time and cost like $700 when it was first launched. Cost is the same reason the PSX failed, and from all the rumors that I've read about the PS3, it could wind up as another 3DO.

Sega was sad; the Saturn has some good games, as did the DC, but if the DC had DVD playback and was backwards compatible, who knows, it might of stuck around longer.

Old
09-11-2005, 07:59 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjardus Greidanus
The NES is the most important system in history, no doubting that. But look at game sales back then, and today. When I was a kid video games were considered little more than an expensive kids toy. Now it's one of the biggest money cows in the world.
I think the growth in the industry was more due to demographics, than Sony itself. NES was huge, and really built a strong following. When that demographic aged, and Sony released the PS, high-school and college aged kids were willing to play it. They grew up on a culture of video games, and Sony was the one to capitalize on it.

The playstation was strong though, and a lesser product wouldn't have seen the growth that they had. I think Sony also recognized the aging of the gaming crowd, and ensure they had a catalogue of games to meet this growing market. Nintendo has always focussed on a younger crowd, which is one of the reasons why they fell behind.

Closed Thread