HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So who else is super excited for next season?

Old
07-02-2011, 07:41 AM
sectachrome

vCash: 500
I have no idea what to expect. I feel like Im going to be watching a completely different team.

sectachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
dam this last week has been crazy..

i for one cant wait for the puck to drop..

so, since i havent officaly heard anything is Zherdev still just hanging around unsigned ???

also whats going on with the Backup for Breezy ??? nothing offical i guess ?

i always heard Philly didnt like Russians, but it seems that era must be over.

ps im glad as hell to hear it WONT be Boosh.
After what has happened to this team the last week or so, who cannot say that they are not excited. If you cannot be excited to see how this team comes together and plays, well its better I do not say what I want to. We have some cap space. We have young good players. We have draft picks. We have a goaltender. We have a future to look forward to. I still think Homer is not done yet with moves. He may have 1 or 2 left in him before the season starts. Thats my opinion and if you do not like it tuff ****.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Swiper the Fox

I am excited
but, only because can finally go through a season with the knowledge that
we have a 1st rate goalie between the pipes, and no worries about those 'beachball' goals they were letting in, in the playoffs

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:24 AM
MsWoof

I am apprehensive. I wish it was some other team that had made all these questionable moves instead of us. As much as I hate to say it, the Pens and Laffs were among the smartest organizations out there, they sat back and did virtually nothing. Homer just doesn't understand the diff between a re-tool and a rebuild. He overpaid for almost everyone starting with Bryz but I blame Snider and his big mouth for that. The Talbot contract is way too long and the Jagr experiment for over $3 million a year when everyone else seemed to be offering 2 is nuts.

If I wanted super exciting I'd watch an action movie. I just want to see my hockey team run in an intelligent fashion.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:34 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I'm excited and confused at the same time,

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I am apprehensive. I wish it was some other team that had made all these questionable moves instead of us. As much as I hate to say it, the Pens and Laffs were among the smartest organizations out there, they sat back and did virtually nothing. Homer just doesn't understand the diff between a re-tool and a rebuild. He overpaid for almost everyone starting with Bryz but I blame Snider and his big mouth for that. The Talbot contract is way too long and the Jagr experiment for over $3 million a year when everyone else seemed to be offering 2 is nuts.

If I wanted super exciting I'd watch an action movie. I just want to see my hockey team run in an intelligent fashion.
Actually, I thought the jagr move was very smart by homer. He could come in here and put up 60 points with the talent he still has. If anyone watched the world championships this year you will know that he can still dominate. Him and giroux together would be pretty dangerous, and he can be a great QB on the powerplay. The best thing about it is we didnt have to overpay leino and handcuff ourselves for next year when we have to sign JVR. Jagr comes in for a year fills a hole, and his cap hit comes off the books. If he doesnt work out through the year we can trade him at the deadline. Truly we have nothing to lose.

bryz at 5.6 million is actually not really overpaying all that much. When the cap rises again in the next few years it will be a nice cap hit. In two or three years guys like miller, lundqvist, ward would probably command ~7 million.

As for talbot we gained a solid 3/4 liner who can kill penalties and chip in a few goals. He will be great in the room, and best of all it makes our team that much harder to play against. Last year it felt like the flyers were easy to play against, and we were not pushing teams around. Not saying talbot will do that, but the team in general got bigger and faster down the wings, should help out.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:07 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
The best thing about it is we didnt have to overpay leino and handcuff ourselves for next year when we have to sign JVR.
This is the key. He provides production this year, but we still have space for next year.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:24 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Actually, I thought the jagr move was very smart by homer. He could come in here and put up 60 points with the talent he still has. If anyone watched the world championships this year you will know that he can still dominate. Him and giroux together would be pretty dangerous, and he can be a great QB on the powerplay. The best thing about it is we didnt have to overpay leino and handcuff ourselves for next year when we have to sign JVR. Jagr comes in for a year fills a hole, and his cap hit comes off the books. If he doesnt work out through the year we can trade him at the deadline. Truly we have nothing to lose.

bryz at 5.6 million is actually not really overpaying all that much. When the cap rises again in the next few years it will be a nice cap hit. In two or three years guys like miller, lundqvist, ward would probably command ~7 million.

As for talbot we gained a solid 3/4 liner who can kill penalties and chip in a few goals. He will be great in the room, and best of all it makes our team that much harder to play against. Last year it felt like the flyers were easy to play against, and we were not pushing teams around. Not saying talbot will do that, but the team in general got bigger and faster down the wings, should help out.
I'm not convinced the cap will be rising. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there was another work stoppage after this CBA expires. The teams can't keep spending like this, the cap was put in place to be kept somewhat low but it's out of control.

Old
07-02-2011, 09:41 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
I'm not convinced the cap will be rising. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there was another work stoppage after this CBA expires. The teams can't keep spending like this, the cap was put in place to be kept somewhat low but it's out of control.
The CBA can curtail spending, but it can't curtail stupid.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:51 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I'm excited about the remake of the team and optimistic about the future however lots of turnover so I don't expect this team to come together in the initial months but then again they got a lot of chemistry type players and lots of players that want to prove themselves so they may surprise. Still lots of work to be done. Also still could be some more moves....I would like to leave some cap space though for the trade deadline if possible.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:51 AM
JABEE

If there isn't another "big move" on the horizon I will be less excited about this year than I was last year when I believed the Flyers to be Stanley Cup favorites.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

I am super excited to see a team that reached the Cup final in 2010 and was a Cup favorite in 2011 play through a season as an also-ran with more question marks throughout its lineup now than when all it needed was a veteran goalie to team with Bob. This team, as it is now, is not built to win the Cup in 2012 or 2013. All we are left with is make the playoffs and anything can happen? Wow, can't wait.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:31 AM
healthyscratch

I'm excited about not screaming "when are they ever going to get a ****ing goalie??" at my tv anymore. I'm always excited about the start of the hockey season, but I would put myself as more curious about our team then excited...

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Both the players and the league know that the NHL can't afford another work stoppage. They will get the deal done.

And the cap is going up because revenue is going up. That isn't a bad thing.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Hollywood Couturier

I'm excited because it's something new and fresh. Whether they actually produce on the ice and do something I have no idea. Also it's my first year having season tickets so that'll be fun.

Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:13 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
This is how excited I am:

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:36 PM
hXc Chris

Im excited that Vokoun signed for 1.5 and we spent 1.8 on Talbot...I cant even express how excited I am, i'm so excited it hurts. HURTS BAD.

hXc Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

I'm more excited for the King's season than the Flyers.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Right now, this team strikes me as a Montreal kind of team...good, but not good enough.

07-02-2011, 10:47 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Right now, this team strikes me as a Montreal kind of team...good, but not good enough.
Don't tell Montreal that...we'll never hear the end of it...

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:48 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Not as excited since I no longer think we are a cup contender this year.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:58 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Both the players and the league know that the NHL can't afford another work stoppage. They will get the deal done.

And the cap is going up because revenue is going up. That isn't a bad thing.
It's not a bad thing to the teams that make money. How are teams like TB, FL, PHX etc. going to handle having to pay more to players to stay above the cap floor while they make very little money?

Old
07-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Neumatic

I'll be honest. I'm not very excited. At least with the last years team I felt we had a shot just didn't get over that hump yet. This season I have no idea.. Kinda think it will be a average to below average team. We will see though.

Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Flyerfan808

I'm super "Don't know what to expect" for this season.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
It's not a bad thing to the teams that make money. How are teams like TB, FL, PHX etc. going to handle having to pay more to players to stay above the cap floor while they make very little money?
Tampa Bay is more worried about the cap ceiling than the floor. But the 3 or 4 teams that can't afford it shouldn't hold back the 25 teams that can. If they are dead weight on the league, they should fold or move elsewhere.

Btw, no one is forcing them to spend to the cap floor. The reason they do it is to qualify for profit sharing. So there is more money in Florida spending 30 million to reach the cap floor than them to simply not spend anything and not take profit sharing this year. Why is that a bad thing?