HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Brad Richards (9 Years, $6.67M Per)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
I think purely having Richards as a big signing does two things:

1) Gabby can concentrate on his game and stop worrying about becoming a Gomez
2) Henrik must feel the upper management is giving him support

In general a good move for Morale.
Was going to mention after the signing that the one guy fist pumping and doing backflips in his living room is Henrik Lundqvist. Nobody is more competitive than that guy. He is going to love the fact he doesn't have to keep it to 1 goal against EVERY NIGHT just to give his team a chance to win.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
The people who think Richards will fail because Redden/Drury/Gomez did are the same people who go up to a Roulette table, see black has come out 4 times in a row and say "The odds say the next one HAS to be red." Cracks me up every time. Each spin is completely separate from each other and has the same odds. 47% black. 47% red. Doesn't matter if there's five reds in a row or five blacks or alternating colors over ten spins. Each situation is UNIQUE. You CAN NOT compare Richards to the failed players/contracts of previous years.
Not to nitpick but wouldn't those people think the next one would be black?

Old
07-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Was going to mention after the signing that the one guy fist pumping and doing backflips in his living room is Henrik Lundqvist. Nobody is more competitive than that guy. He is going to love the fact he doesn't have to keep it to 1 goal against EVERY NIGHT just to give his team a chance to win.
King should always have that mentality. It's what makes him elite. Anything more than a 2 goal lead is gravy.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Not to nitpick but wouldn't those people think the next one would be black?
Point is you can not base it on what has happened previously. It means NOTHING. The next spin has the same odds of being Red or Black. Each spin (player in this case) is unique.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:55 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Yeah...hey Brad, you suck because you didn't buy our totally cool, state-of-art, *****in' presentation. You're greedy, even though you didn't take the most money, pick a mediocre team or prefer extensive travel.
The best part is we as rangers fans know where this organization is heading what type of farm system we have. We know the type of guys we have on the nhl roster ala dubinsky, callahan, anisimov, stepan, staal, girardi, mcdonagh, sauer, mdz, erixon, mza. We have a lot of youth but alot of them have multiple years of experience or at least one (with the exception of erixon of course). They are all solid players and they are getting better every year its amazing. Not to mention Hagelin and Thomas knocking on the door. Its unfortunate because Kreider could make this team right now imo.

Other fans think we're mediocre but we're far from it. They clearly dont pay attention because all year opposing players and coaches would comment on how tough it is to play against the rangers. We have basically lost nothing from last years roster (with the exception of prospal and no i dont count gilroy). We added Erixon, even though we dont know yet what he is going to do, his ceiling is high. And then you add a legitimate number one center. This team just got a whole lot better.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
The best part is we as rangers fans know where this organization is heading what type of farm system we have. We know the type of guys we have on the nhl roster ala dubinsky, callahan, anisimov, stepan, staal, girardi, mcdonagh, sauer, mdz, erixon, mza. We have a lot of youth but alot of them have multiple years of experience or at least one (with the exception of erixon of course). They are all solid players and they are getting better every year its amazing. Not to mention Hagelin and Thomas knocking on the door. Its unfortunate because Kreider could make this team right now imo.

Other fans think we're mediocre but we're far from it. They clearly dont pay attention because all year opposing players and coaches would comment on how tough it is to play against the rangers. We have basically lost nothing from last years roster (with the exception of prospal and no i dont count gilroy). We added Erixon, even though we dont know yet what he is going to do, his ceiling is high. And then you add a legitimate number one center. This team just got a whole lot better.
+1

Old
07-02-2011, 11:01 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post

Starting with last Friday at the draft, all the way up to right now, I'm very happy with things in RangerLand. Richards wanted to be here. He's a legit #1 center who makes this team so much better in so many ways...I'm just going to repeat that in every post I make about his signing. He's been a player I have thought would be perfect on the Rangers for quite a while now.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

When the Redden/Drury/Gomez deals were signed the first thing we all said was "Wow...that's an overpayment." But we brushed it off by saying that was the price the market set and we had to pay the price to secure the player.

Anyone who honestly believes that 6.67M a year for Richards is an overpayment is out of their minds. The term is long, yes, but those years are irrelevant (can easily be bought out if not retired by then) AND this is the way deals are done right now under the current CBA.

Richards is not overpaid AND he is better than Gomez and Drury were at the time of their deals. In today's market, where a good playoff and a 53 point season gets you 4.5M (Leino), Richards easily could have demanded 9M+

Old
07-02-2011, 11:04 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

How much is the AAV? NHL's Twitter is saying it's 6.5...

NHL NHL
Brad Richards signs: NHL.com reports Richards signs 9-year deal with @thenyrangers for avg of $6.5mm per. http://cot.ag/kZSoSq
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Old
07-02-2011, 11:05 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
It's one of $6.5M or $6.67M. Dreger said the latter.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
07-02-2011, 11:08 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
When the Redden/Drury/Gomez deals were signed the first thing we all said was "Wow...that's an overpayment." But we brushed it off by saying that was the price the market set and we had to pay the price to secure the player.

Anyone who honestly believes that 6.67M a year for Richards is an overpayment is out of their minds. The term is long, yes, but those years are irrelevant (can easily be bought out if not retired by then) AND this is the way deals are done right now under the current CBA.

Richards is not overpaid AND he is better than Gomez and Drury were at the time of their deals. In today's market, where a good playoff and a 53 point season gets you 4.5M (Leino), Richards easily could have demanded 9M+

That cannot be emphasized enough. We all knew then they were overpayments, and we did try rationalize them. Then you look at yesterday where, thanks to having to reach the cap floor, Florida inflated the market. If Eric Cole can get $4.5 million per, Richards could have gotten a lot more.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:15 PM
OverTheCap

One of the reasons why I wanted Richards so badly is due to his character. Such a classy, intelligent, and humble guy.... no surprise he's a former Lady Byng winner.

After listening to his conference call today, it seems like he wants to be here for all the right reasons... he thought our team was one of the toughest to play against, he admires the members of our young core such as Cally and Dubi, he desires stable ownership, he relishes the opportunity to play on the big stage, and he has faith in the coach. With some of our previous free agent signings, I got the vibe that they wanted to be a Ranger because of the money and the lifestyle that New York has to offer. Not Brad. I can't wait for him to mentor Stepan, Arty, and the other young players.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:17 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

You know what I just realized, I think Richards, sans the return of Prospal, would be right up there with Fedotenko as one of our older Rangers.

He's only 31. I think that's really freakin cool.

07-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
One of the reasons why I wanted Richards so badly is due to his character. Such a classy, intelligent, and humble guy.... no surprise he's a former Lady Byng winner.

I can't wait for him to mentor Stepan, Arty, and the other young players.
Not to "Cross-Thread", but this is why I wouldn't have any real issues with giving (once earned) the "C" to Richards... Cally is deserving (don't get me wrong), just don't see the "Captain" of a team looking elsewhere for experience, mentoring etc... I admire Cally's commitment and wouldn't have a problem with it, just not 100% certain it's that time....But hey, I'm just a guy sitting @ home typing ***** on my laptop, having a beer !!

Old
07-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Not to "Cross-Thread", but this is why I wouldn't have any real issues with giving (once earned) the "C" to Richards... Cally is deserving (don't get me wrong), just don't see the "Captain" of a team looking elsewhere for experience, mentoring etc... I admire Cally's commitment and wouldn't have a problem with it, just not 100% certain it's that time....But hey, I'm just a guy sitting @ home typing ***** on my laptop, having a beer !!

I don't think Cally needs any mentoring though. He's gonna be 26. He's not one of the younger guys anymore.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

I don't like giving the C to Richards, and it has nothing to do with Richards, but everything to do with the fact that this is Callahan's team. He's the heart and soul of this team, he's homegrown and it's his time. This guy bleeds Ranger blue and leaves it all out on the ice. You want your captain to set the example, and who better than Cally?

Old
07-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Ryan Callahan should be the captain of this team. I love the Richards signing, im a HUGE fan of Brad Richards..but there is not one single person on this team who is even remotely close of deserving this honor as much as Cally. imho, its not even close.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Ryan Callahan should be the captain of this team. I love the Richards signing, im a HUGE fan of Brad Richards..but there is not one single person on this team who is even remotely close of deserving this honor as much as Cally. imho, its not even close.
I just don't like the mentality of putting a guy with one good season for captain. Sorry just my personal preference as much as I love Callahan and his heroic two way play, I don't think our 4th best player should be our captain. I know I'll get torched for this post and for good reason, but I backed up my opinion.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:59 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300

I'm still trying to let it sink in.

We got him, guys. We got Brad freaking Richards. Legit #1 center, Conn Smythe winning Brad Richards.

I don't think I can wait the two months for preseason hockey.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Kershaw

How to pass the offseason.

1. Play NHL11
2. Read HFBoards
3. Hype up team's prospects
4. ?????
5. Profit!

Old
07-03-2011, 12:01 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

We actually have someone in the top 10 in league scoring again, that's great!

Old
07-03-2011, 12:02 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
We actually have someone in the top 10 in league scoring again, that's great!
With any luck we just might have 2 guys in the top 10 next year.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:02 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I'm still trying to let it sink in.

We got him, guys. We got Brad freaking Richards. Legit #1 center, Conn Smythe winning Brad Richards.

I don't think I can wait the two months for preseason hockey.
Well if you would have listened to me you would have known we had him for months now

Old
07-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
How to pass the offseason.

1. Play NHL11
2. Read HFBoards
3. Hype up team's prospects
4. ?????
5. Profit!
None of that includes actually getting out of the house of course

Old
07-03-2011, 12:03 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
With any luck we just might have 2 guys in the top 10 next year.
Rangers =/= luck

That's what I have learned over my almost 10 years as a Rangers fan.

Closed Thread