HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Nashville Predators 2011 Off-Season Thread Part II

Old
07-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
The Official Nashville Predators 2011 Off-Season Thread Part II

And Go

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:45 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

These 2 days have been exciting!!! /:

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:59 PM
JamboPred

Is Antti Miettinen someone we should be looking at?

JamboPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:06 PM
markie8002000

Free Agent List who are left :

http://sbn.to/iv2ikI

markie8002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Top 6 Spaling

If I was Poile I would have traded Lindback + Franson for a top 6 winger and signed Thomas Vokoun to a 1 year, 2 mil deal (he accepted 1.5 in washington, we'll give him slightly more).

EDIT: I know Voky wants to win and be the starter,s o he wouldnt sign with us, but let me dream.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 07-02-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:58 PM
alexmanu

Are we going to get anyone? I mean in all seriousness can anyone actually speculate at any top 6 forwards we might be looking to trade for???? I am lost for thoughts.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:11 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
If I was Poile I would have traded Lindback + Franson for a top 6 winger and signed Thomas Vokoun to a 1 year, 2 mil deal (he accepted 1.5 in washington, we'll give him slightly more).

EDIT: I know Voky wants to win and be the starter,s o he wouldnt sign with us, but let me dream.
This cracks me up. Really, an unproven goalie and a third pairing defenseman for a top 6 winger? Throw in Wilson and that still wouldn't get it done.

We all get upset about the absurd proposals for Weber or Suter and then this is thrown out there? If you want a top 6 if not top 3 guy, there are going to be at least 4 prospects going to the other team, two of which are Wilson and either Ellis or Josi plus Franson and Lindback and even that package I doubt anyone bites. The best way to land a top 3 is to trade one of Weber or Suter and we'd what we need upfront. While it hurts us in the back it doesn't cripple us like a trade of 3 to 4 prospects. I also think it's a lot more realistic.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:16 PM
alexmanu

Why don't we just package in draft picks with someone highly touted like Ellis?

Old
07-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Over here, that might have gotten you Kristian Huseilus. Maybe.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:30 PM
KillerKampfer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboPred View Post
Yeah shocked he hasn't been snapped up.

Agent must have an offer from Europe he is trying to use as leverage.

As someone who wants to see the Preds take the next step forward this has not been a great offseason. I guess as long as Weber is back everything is OK but I think Goc should have been kept at that money.

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:57 PM
alexmanu

What about trading for Alexander Semin? I know he's not exactly a Preds style player and his effort is questionable......but he wouldn't cost a lot because it would only be a 1yr deal. I think the Caps would be open to a trade and people may say he would not be a good fit for the Preds. The bottom line is that we need someone who can score and Semin can do that for us. We aren't going to get to the next level purely on physical play.

Old
07-02-2011, 07:08 PM
predwings

Not going to get Semin now. The capitals are looking for a cup run now, if they aren't in major cap space issues, then they wouldn't trade him unless they grabbed up some type of top pairing defenseman. This is the year they think they will win...so no on the Semin trade/possibilities. I don't really see us picking-up any of that. I think at this point sad t say you have to just rebuild, and this is the kind of **** you couldn't afford to do at this point. Just when the Preds were starting to look great, they go and ****-up (Thanks Poile) so hopefully we can rely on our young talent and push through this season and see what happens at the trade-deadline or next off-season.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:33 PM
cleangene

We've done a GREAT job building on the momentum of this past spring, huh? At least we know if there's another second round playoff appearance, we can afford to change the jerseys.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:03 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
We've done a GREAT job building on the momentum of this past spring, huh? At least we know if there's another second round playoff appearance, we can afford to change the jerseys.
I'm just ready for SOMETHING cool to happen. Anything. It's been a pretty big buzzkill so far...I know we're usually not active in free agency so I wasn't expecting much, but I was definitely expecting to have Weber signed by now. It's not a crisis that it hasn't gotten done (yet), but it's kinda lamesauce for the fans.

So far this offseason has been: new jerseys, the alleged RFA mistake, and losing a handful of players. None of the above may end up being bad things, but with absolutely NO moves to balance it out, it's kinda depressing at the moment.

Especially like you said after the momentum of this past spring. We FINALLY got past the first round. We finally have owners and a marketing team that are really smart and have been successful. I was really hoping we'd be making moves to build on that over the summer.

It's not over yet though! A lot can still happen!

Edit: BTW, what's up with us losing Dekanich? I know nothing about how minor league personnel moves work. I thought we pretty much owned all those guys until we decide to trade them or they make the NHL and eventually become UFAs. Can anyone enlighten me?

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:29 PM
WartracePred

For all you folks who want to ship Suter off for a top 3 scorer, think back to how Weber played last Fall without his sidekick. Does anyone remember how much effort we expended on our breakouts. Without Suter the Preds struggled mightily gaining the offensive zone. We have lots of potential puck moving defensemen, but none are close to Suter's level.

And I hope Poile knows something about Lombardi that the public doesn't. Letting Goc, a productive center on a scoring challenged team, sign with FLA is a big loss to our offensive production. I loved the Euro line last year. There was great chemistry between SK74, Erat, and Goc. O'Reilly made great strides last season, but if I had to choose between the two, i'd have gone with Goc.

We have shed a lot of offensive depth in the last week - Sully, Wardo, Dumont, and Goc. SOB is also gone. The Preds are gonna look a lot different this Fall. At this point last season, I was a lot more confident than I am this summer. Just too many unknowns, and too many unproven youngsters.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:38 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboPred View Post
Definitely. He's a great fit for the club's culture.

Really, I don't know that we need more scoring per se. With a little luck with injuries, we've got about 220 goals worth of offense on the team right now. If our defense and goaltending hold, it's not hard to see us returning to the playoffs, especially if the grievance goes our way. (If it doesn't, we're probably screwed.)

What we need is to inject life into our flaccid power play. I think that can be resolved internally. We need someone who can play with Franson and distribute the puck well to create scoring chances for guys like Erat and Fisher. That could be Blum, or it could be Ellis, or it could be a forward playing back on the point. Our power play is what's hurting us the most, and any addition would have to fix that. I'm not convinced that Hemsky or any other forward could do that any better than a change in philosophy on the man advantage (which will hopefully be provided by one Mr. Lambert).

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:42 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I love all of the "Weber sucks without Suter" talk. Maybe it was because he was paired with a couple of pylons in Bouillon and SOB? I think Blum, while not there quite yet, could pla quite well with Weber.

You have to ask yourself...do you want to have 40 percent of your budget tied up in two d men and a goalie? And continue having to hope your top scorer's 23 goals and your 26th ranked PP is enough to squeak into the playoffs? I'm not sure I do. That was the hallmark of Poile's Washington teams as well. Drafted star d men, great goaltenders, pitiful at drafting and developing forwards, and repeated playoff disappointment. It also eventually got him fired.

I love having one of the best defensive tandems and goaltenders in the league, but I would be nice to not have to cling for dear life to them in hopes that the 2 goals you've scored will hold up. Making the second round this year was great and all, but we basically had to have superhuman goaltending to stay in vs VAN. At some point you have to supplement that if you ever want to get any further.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:42 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
For all you folks who want to ship Suter off for a top 3 scorer, think back to how Weber played last Fall without his sidekick. Does anyone remember how much effort we expended on our breakouts. Without Suter the Preds struggled mightily gaining the offensive zone. We have lots of potential puck moving defensemen, but none are close to Suter's level.

And I hope Poile knows something about Lombardi that the public doesn't. Letting Goc, a productive center on a scoring challenged team, sign with FLA is a big loss to our offensive production. I loved the Euro line last year. There was great chemistry between SK74, Erat, and Goc. O'Reilly made great strides last season, but if I had to choose between the two, i'd have gone with Goc.

We have shed a lot of offensive depth in the last week - Sully, Wardo, Dumont, and Goc. SOB is also gone. The Preds are gonna look a lot different this Fall. At this point last season, I was a lot more confident than I am this summer. Just too many unknowns, and too many unproven youngsters.
I don't want to trade Weber or Suter for anything. I want offense, but if I have to choose superstar defense or superstar offense, I'll take the excellent D.

It is pretty interesting all the forwards we're letting go. I don't mind Dumont and Sully, and I wouldn't have wanted to pay the salary Ward is getting from the Caps, but letting Goc leave is curious if Lombardi isn't coming back. That leaves our centers as Fisher, Leggy, O'Reilly, Smithson, Spaling and Wilson. IMO the only centers who can potentially match or exceed Goc in talent are Lombardi and Wilson. Either Poile knows something about Lombardi that we don't, he's making a bet on O'Reilly > Goc, he has something up his sleeve to pick up a good center, or he's planning on having Wilson play center next year.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:53 PM
predatorsfan2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I'm just ready for SOMETHING cool to happen. Anything. It's been a pretty big buzzkill so far...I know we're usually not active in free agency so I wasn't expecting much, but I was definitely expecting to have Weber signed by now. It's not a crisis that it hasn't gotten done (yet), but it's kinda lamesauce for the fans.

So far this offseason has been: new jerseys, the alleged RFA mistake, and losing a handful of players. None of the above may end up being bad things, but with absolutely NO moves to balance it out, it's kinda depressing at the moment.

Especially like you said after the momentum of this past spring. We FINALLY got past the first round. We finally have owners and a marketing team that are really smart and have been successful. I was really hoping we'd be making moves to build on that over the summer.

It's not over yet though! A lot can still happen!

Edit: BTW, what's up with us losing Dekanich? I know nothing about how minor league personnel moves work. I thought we pretty much owned all those guys until we decide to trade them or they make the NHL and eventually become UFAs. Can anyone enlighten me?
+1

I totally agree with all of what you just said.

I'm just clinging to hope that David Poile does something, because we have great momentum going after all that went on last year. But, I have faith that DP can pull a rabbit out of his hat once more.

Question:
The Suter/Parise deals on here: Are they just us day dreaming or is there some "rumors" out there that makes us think such could happen? Thanks!

predatorsfan2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:11 PM
roseyc

I somehow think Radulov is involved in all of this ...kind of makes sense...doesn't it ?

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:17 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
I somehow think Radulov is involved in all of this ...kind of makes sense...doesn't it ?
You have to be a "the glass is half full" person. With age and experience comes cynicism. And believe you me, concerning Radulov, I am a Cynic with a capital "C"!!!!

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:25 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Are there any rumors involving us at all???????????????!

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
None that I've hear/seen.

Miettinen would make sense. Good on the PP, but from wild games I've seen he's the anti-clutch. Scores occasionally, but can't seem to bury it when it counts.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:29 PM
predatorsfan2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Even Eklund is out on us. Wow. We really are doing nothing.

predatorsfan2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

One name that's intriguing after sifting through the rubble is Prospal. He started last season on the IR, a bit older, but has good wheels, and great on the pp. Shifty player.

Lagenbrunner and Zherdev should also be looked into.

Only on a short term deal though 1-2 year.

Last edited by Everlong: 07-02-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote