HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So who else is super excited for next season?

Old
07-02-2011, 11:39 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Tampa Bay is more worried about the cap ceiling than the floor. But the 3 or 4 teams that can't afford it shouldn't hold back the 25 teams that can. If they are dead weight on the league, they should fold or move elsewhere.

Btw, no one is forcing them to spend to the cap floor. The reason they do it is to qualify for profit sharing. So there is more money in Florida spending 30 million to reach the cap floor than them to simply not spend anything and not take profit sharing this year. Why is that a bad thing?
They need profit sharing to survive. Tb sells tickets for a fraction of what the big money makers do yet their cap hit is close to the same. I know they currently have a super rich owner but anyone super rich doesn't like to lose a fortune.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:48 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
Not as excited since I no longer think we are a cup contender this year.
If last season was one in which we were 'cup contenders', I don't want to be 'cup contenders' anymore.

I am without the slightest idea about what this team will be on opening night. It is a bizarre amalgam of prospects, developing stars, veterans, unknowns and spare parts that was built in an offseason with a relatively crappy FA pool and a thin draft.

But, Holmgren has fulfilled the most dark, impulsive piece of my fanhood that wanted to see the team detonated after they fell from Presidents' Trophy contention to moldy diarrhea.

So, he gets a pass from me - this season, I'm in it for the entertainment. I don't know where we're going, but I'm down for the trip.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:57 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hXc Chris View Post
Im excited that Vokoun signed for 1.5 and we spent 1.8 on Talbot...I cant even express how excited I am, i'm so excited it hurts. HURTS BAD.
I hadn't heard this. That truly sucks, of course we don't know if he would've wanted to come to Philadelphia, as it was known (I think) that he was willing to stay in Fla. On the other hand an offer of 3.5-4.5 might have helped.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:33 AM
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m

I am excited. Legitimately. At first I was concerned about chemistry problems resulting from player turnover, but then...Roo/JVR and Briere/thehair have pleyed together awhile, and each pair will just get a new Czech to play with. Then the third amd fourth line will just be a bunch of decent-to-good hockey players who will hafta get to know each other. And the defense will be the same, and the goalie will be a lot better.

It'll be neat.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:52 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
But, Holmgren has fulfilled the most dark, impulsive piece of my fanhood that wanted to see the team detonated after they fell from Presidents' Trophy contention to moldy diarrhea.

So, he gets a pass from me - this season, I'm in it for the entertainment. I don't know where we're going, but I'm down for the trip.
Hear, hear.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:57 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Last year was a disgrace. ANYTHING is better that having to watch that lackadaisical and rudderless group traipse through another year as a "Cup contender".

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:02 AM
GoldBlooded
Doop

On a scale from one to Rebecca Black, how excited are you?

GoldBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NodlFTW View Post
On a scale from one to Rebecca Black, how excited are you?
MC Hammer... present day.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Mike2000z28

I expect an average season. I mean some guys might work out and some won't probably. The team has to be firing on all cylinders from the get go and with all these new guys who are unproven(Schenn, Coutourier, old Jagr,) i don't know. For this year at least i think the trade didn't benefit us all that well considering you gave up to really good players with cheaper contracts than if you have to sign the same caliber player today. I am worried.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:25 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

no disrespect but wasnt Hextall bald when he left here in '99? I just watched an interview with him and he has this huge bouffant head of hair? Rogain? a piece? or the greatestest combover ever. I guess thats LA. mike richards'll come back lookin like George Hamilton.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:06 AM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
If last season was one in which we were 'cup contenders', I don't want to be 'cup contenders' anymore.
Yes, we should ignore the fact that we were the best team in hockey for most of the year. The team, as it was assembled, came up 2 wins short of a cup two years ago. I'm not going to make excuses for what happened last year, but with a legitimate #1, that same team is a cup contender.

When was the last time a team had a complete facelift and gelled enough to win the cup the following season?

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:30 PM
bungle
Casual Observer

I'm excited. I was getting pretty tired of watching last season's Flyers. Frankly, for me, the 2006/7 team was more exciting to watch on a game-to-game basis. This years team might not take home the cup, but it will be good to see the Flyers play with a little more spark again.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:52 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
MC Hammer... present day.
Nice

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:15 PM
SgtJoseph

I am looking forward to the up coming season, and as much as i liked Ritchie and Carter, Homer's nuclear move may just prove to be better than many expect.We have a good goalie, and have some young talented players coming on board.
In this modern day cap era of the NHL, bold moves as this may become the norm more often.I personally like the old NHL ways both on and off the ice, but in this modern cap world, i like what Homer and company have done and i will give them credit for shaking things up in such a big way.....They have certainly raised the anticipation of the up coming season for many of us who like Flyers hockey, and probably amongst the many who hate the Flyers as well ? Drop the puck, and lets roll with it !

As far as Ritchie and Carter and others partying too much and that being a PROBLEM ? The old Broad street bullies drank and partied with the best of them, but the media was not quite so anxious to try and put that team in a negative light as the bunch that report on the Flyers today....Tweeting, and the internet have changed everything in today's world.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote