HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Mike Smith 2 year 2 Mil per

Old
07-02-2011, 11:51 PM
DesertDawg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Save percentage went up roughly by 0.15% in Phoenix. Doesn't sound like much but a .914 save percentage makes you a #1 Goalie. A .930% save percentage puts you in the conversation for Vezina.
22 games does not put you into a conversation for the Vezina, it makes you a good backup. But making 40+ saves continually in games in a different era on a different team. I watched him and seen the type of saves he had and IMO, he was more consistent than Bryz was.

DesertDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:55 PM
moosemeister

I don't know why there are so many sour attitudes. Sure, we don't have a high end goalie, but I like any goalie in our system. Sure, Barbs does stupid things, often, but for the most part when he is on his game, he's sharp and makes plenty of saves. There have been games where LolBarbera stole it for us.

Mike Smith is bigger than Bryz. The size of Smith is incredible. With our defensive system and amazing goalie coach, I really like the chance of Smith being a solid starter for us. Time will tell.

I'm really excited to see him in action

moosemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:04 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemeister View Post
I don't know why there are so many sour attitudes. Sure, we don't have a high end goalie, but I like any goalie in our system. Sure, Barbs does stupid things, often, but for the most part when he is on his game, he's sharp and makes plenty of saves. There have been games where LolBarbera stole it for us.
Mike Smith is bigger than Bryz. The size of Smith is incredible. With our defensive system and amazing goalie coach, I really like the chance of Smith being a solid starter for us. Time will tell.
I'm really excited to see him in action
I'm looking forward to seeing him play and am curious if Bryz can be the player that the Flyers think their getting...

Old
07-03-2011, 12:08 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
22 games does not put you into a conversation for the Vezina, it makes you a good backup. But making 40+ saves continually in games in a different era on a different team. I watched him and seen the type of saves he had and IMO, he was more consistent than Bryz was.
Yes, Burke came in to the league and played well in an era where GAA was the key stat and not necessarily Save Percentage. I'll acknowledge your point on that issue.

That being said... He was not considered an elite goalie when Phoenix picked him up. He was average. Viewed as a goalie who never reached his full potential. Can we agree on that?

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Sindiggy
STH Row 206 Row D

Quote:
I'm looking forward to seeing him play and am curious if Bryz can be the player that the Flyers think their getting...
Now, I'm hoping Bryz does well, because I like him, however, there is this inner demon that keeps whispering into my ear that wouldn't it be ironic to see Bryz (without Burke) revert back to a little more inconsistency he exhibited under Fuhr and then have Burke turn Smith into an even better Bryz.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
moosemeister

Quote:
I think Bryz will be a vital part of the Flowers organization. He had a pretty good run in Anaheim followed by a great run with us. I think it was dumb of them to sign Bryz instead of grooming one of their young guys but its not my team, so what do I care?

Hope the Flowers fail. lol

moosemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:16 AM
hbk

I think the Flyers fans are going to be outraged at the events of the off-season if the team struggles out of the gate.

They blew up a Stanley Cup Final Appearance team to extremely overpay for a goalie. A goalie that it's apparent nobody else was really competing for. A goalie that they likely overpaid by roughly $6 Million for next year alone. Phoenix was in there for $6 Million per for maybe 4 years. Who exactly was going to offer Bryz anywhere close to what the Flyers paid? Big questions need to be asked to Flyer management.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:28 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Yes, Burke came in to the league and played well in an era where GAA was the key stat and not necessarily Save Percentage. I'll acknowledge your point on that issue.

That being said... He was not considered an elite goalie when Phoenix picked him up. He was average. Viewed as a goalie who never reached his full potential. Can we agree on that?
What I'm trying to say is that he was just as good playing for the Whalers as he was playing for the Coyotes. In between he lost focus because of personal matters and once he regain confidence and focus he returned to his previous form.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:36 AM
SniperHF
aufheben's Coyote

He was never as good for Hartford as he was for the Yotes in 2000-2001. He was probably a top 10 goalie in the league for Hartford though for a few years.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Jakeman

Here's some golaie highlites of our new nuber one!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlBHr...eature=related

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is that he was just as good playing for the Whalers as he was playing for the Coyotes. In between he lost focus because of personal matters and once he regain confidence and focus he returned to his previous form.
Burke had a career save percentage of .902, I'd argue that him being average was the norm, not the exception.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:20 PM
omnimutant

Having not seen much of Smith I scoured some vids. Apparently he's been in a few fights. I worry about a goalie that's easily agitated. You get a guy sitting in the crease all day making life rough is he gonna throw a fit or shrug it off and stay focused?

I'm seeing some decent saves on the "highlight" footage, but nothing spectacular. Most of it is pucks getting stuffed center mass. I do hope he kicks some ass, because that's all we got, but I'm still pretty skeptical of him as a starter.

I'm actually quite shocked at a lot of the Bryz bashing I've read since the trade. I think he was by far the best Goalie this team has ever had. Considering the make up of the team, that was playing in front of him, to pull off as many wins as he did, was a pretty remarkable thing. I think we asked way to much of him, and he pulled out many wins for us despite our lack of high end scoring and offensive(sometimes absent) minded defense.

I'm sad to see Bryz go, but think he will thrive in Philly.

omnimutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnimutant View Post
Having not seen much of Smith I scoured some vids. Apparently he's been in a few fights. I worry about a goalie that's easily agitated. You get a guy sitting in the crease all day making life rough is he gonna throw a fit or shrug it off and stay focused?

I'm seeing some decent saves on the "highlight" footage, but nothing spectacular. Most of it is pucks getting stuffed center mass. I do hope he kicks some ass, because that's all we got, but I'm still pretty skeptical of him as a starter.

I'm actually quite shocked at a lot of the Bryz bashing I've read since the trade. I think he was by far the best Goalie this team has ever had. Considering the make up of the team, that was playing in front of him, to pull off as many wins as he did, was a pretty remarkable thing. I think we asked way to much of him, and he pulled out many wins for us despite our lack of high end scoring and offensive(sometimes absent) minded defense.

That's where I disagree, Tippet teams are kind of like Jacque Lemaire teams, they always make a goalie look good. Now that doesn't mean Bryz isn't good on his own (I happen to think he is) but I think he was more of a beneficiary of the system than the system was of him.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnimutant View Post

I think Bryz was excellent. However, I would not call him the best goalie this team has ever had. For me, I think that would be Sean Burke with Bryz as a close second...

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Burke had a career save percentage of .902, I'd argue that him being average was the norm, not the exception.
Burke played in an era when save percentages were lower.

Some Vezina winners back then had career averages of
Grant Fuhr .887
Ed Belfour .906
Patrick Roy .910

But its true Burke did not have the most professional approach until he wised up later in life.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
Watching some video on Smith, he really does remind me of Bryz. They both just drop at expect the puck to hit them, neither is fast. I noticed Smith lost track of the puck a few times just in that short video, something Bryz did a lot. Seems they are just hoping to make another Bryz with someone with less talent. I don't see that working out.

I do like that he is intense, sometimes Bryz seemed total indifferent, and I hated that.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:26 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

My prediction is that Smith will probably be an average goalie next season. Top 15-20 goalie in the league. I can live with it.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:39 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

I expect Mike Smith to easily have a career year. Depending on who they replace Fiddler and Jovanovski with, and any upgrades, that might be enough to get him into Vezina consideration. Smith is very much underrated and Tippett's system will maximise his value, as it did for Bryzgalov.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:07 AM
XX
... Waiting

Someone thinks we did right by Smith

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/0...nd-best-deals/

Quote:
But there were a number of goalies that made out far better after a tumultuous weekend of free-agent signings.

While most of the goalies that landed in new cities maintained similar roles, a few labeled as backups were handed a rare opportunity to prove they can be effective starters.

Of those deals, I feel Mike Smith's situation with the Coyotes is the most promising.....

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:41 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

I think his playmaking abilities will vastly improve our efficiencies in our own end. We don't have a very mobile group back there as it is and Bryz was awful at it. Hopefully Smith's first pass (he has one of the best in the league as far as goalies go) will ease the burden on our vets and limit the number of times Klesla gets rocked behind the net. LOL.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:42 AM
XX
... Waiting

Bryz was so awful at shooting/handling the puck that I can't even remember him attempting a meaningful forward pass.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
I think his playmaking abilities will vastly improve our efficiencies in our own end. We don't have a very mobile group back there as it is and Bryz was awful at it. Hopefully Smith's first pass (he has one of the best in the league as far as goalies go) will ease the burden on our vets and limit the number of times Klesla gets rocked behind the net. LOL.

I swear I think he likes being hit. He has to see it coming, he just doesn't move.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:34 AM
XX
... Waiting

Some videos. Certainly plays with more fire when compared to Bryz, who was like an automaton in net.

Old
07-07-2011, 01:33 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Continuing Discussion from the Wrong Thread:

Vokoun @ 14,999,999.97 over 3yrs > Smith @ 4m over 2yrs

AINEC

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I don't remember you being this acerbic since before Burke was traded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
But Burke is terrible.
I figured this was a better spot for this.

I hated the idea of Smith on June 30th.
I was extremely disappointed on July 1st.
By July 2nd I was resigned to the fact that he was the best we could do.
Yesterday I still felt he sucked and would fail, but understood the lack of options.
Today I find out we could've had an all star instead, but CHOSE the ****** backup.

That's why I'm pissed. We just decided not to make the playoffs. Why shouldn't I be pissed? Why aren't more of you equally pissed?

Last edited by PhoPhan: 07-07-2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: qdp
rt is online now   Reply With Quote