HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LA Signs Gagne - 2 Years - $3.5M Cap Hit - $7 million Total

Old
07-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
One thing overlooked about the addition of Gagne (maybe I missed it since I didn't dig through all 8 pages) is his defensive game. He is such a dangerous player because of his intelligence on the ice, knows where to be and he is just as dangerous of a penalty killer as Mike Richards.

The Kings have not only potentially added to their offense with the additions of Richards and Gagne, but it is also very likely that we see less time spent inside the Kings' own end. These players know how to move the puck and they sure as hell know how to retrieve it as well, something the team was lacking last season.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:33 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
You don't think Stoll is a good fit on the bottom six? I think he is more suited for that role and will comfortably replace Handzus in a checking role. He is one of best center icemen on the draw, he is responsible defensively and he's physical as well, third on the team (second among forwards) in hits and third among forwards in blocked shots.

Stoll centering Clifford and either Richardson, Lewis or Parse will make for a physical checking line that is also capable of putting the puck in the net. I think they're going to be faster than the line of Ponikarovsky-Handzus-Simmonds as well.
I think he meant that Stoll is a tad more expensive than the other guys on the 3rd and 4th lines.

That's fine by me though since he is going to be the man taking most of the big faceoffs late in a game.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:35 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post

just 2 years ago, the face of the Flyers franchise for the next 5 or so year, craziness
I kind of hate you guys right now

Okay, not really. But seeing you so happy reminds me of Flyer fans last year after the playoff run. What a difference a year makes.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:37 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I know how impatient you are, but this time you are right. The Kings should contend for the next 5-6 years now.

I think AEG has "put up" now. What more can they do this off season that they haven't already done?

Lombardi has acquired the players Terry Murray needs to produce results. It's time for the players to be the most accountable people in this organization and management needs to let them know what is expected in no uncertain terms.

It isn't enough anymore for young defensemen to be learning or act impetuous when they don't get a call (yeah, I'm looking at you Drew). Every player on this team needs to show up to camp prepared and ready to win.

If Lombardi needs to make some additional tweeks to the roster or even the coaching staff he will.
I will applaud AEG for allowing DL to make these moves, but it's a double edge sword - now they just don't have to do better. They better put up results or heads will roll.

... and if they don't put up results and heads don't roll, then they will see the ugly side of PSP I've been nice up to this point, but if these a-holes waste all of the effort of the last 5 seasons, it could be old-time Kings fan jihad!

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:38 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Nolan, Clune or King (even though he showed no physical attributes aside from being big when he was up here) have to get a spot on the 4th line unless there's a vet that Lombardi can sign to bring in some toughness.

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Richardson
Parse-Lewis-Westgarth
Clune/Nolan/King

Doughty-Mitchell
Scuderi-Johnson
Greene-Martinez
Drewiske

Quick
Bernier

Looking at that lineup, I hope to hell Lombardi signs a vet dman as well. I don't want to rely on big and soft Drewiske when someone goes down.
I can't see Loktionov not making the lineup. I see him starting the season on the 3rd or 4th line C position and moving Stoll or Lewis to a wing. Maybe Clifford-Stoll-Lewis as a shut down line and Parse-Loktionov-Richardson for an energy type line. Could easily place Westgarth in when the opposition dresses an enforcer, but looking around the NHL not many teams in the west are going to be doing so.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
I like the look of that roster. Not in the way that it's like oh it's better than what we've had so I guess I'll be okay with that, but in an oh **** this team can really win something and I'm excited. This roster is way too good now to not perform.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Malice430

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Did Azevedo fight a teddy bear?
maybe a midget?

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:56 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I kind of hate you guys right now

Okay, not really. But seeing you so happy reminds me of Flyer fans last year after the playoff run. What a difference a year makes.
Tell me about it. Two games away from a Stanley Cup, all we need is a goaltender, and they blow up the team instead. Ugh, it still makes no sense to me.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Correct as usual DHTKF!

What I WILL tell you is that the time for excuses/rationalizations is officially over. No more "youngest team in the league", "bridge players", whatever current buzz-phrase that the Kings management has used the last 5 seasons - it's time for DL, TM, and company to put up or shut up.

They have the players - they have the experience - they have NO MORE EXCUSES!

It's time to WIN or come damn close - anything less will be a HUGE disappointment. If they don't win win this assembly of talent, the people running the talent need to get the **** out of Dodge.

Don't give me excuses, don't whimper about injuries, bad luck, travel, etc. ...

JUST GET IT DONE! NOW!!!!!
I agree with all of this.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Johnny Utah

Yeah I meant Stoll is a bit overpriced for bottom 6.

Loktionov is gonna have a tough spot, he is best suited for a 3rd line center position and I don't think he will get that shot until next year when Stoll is a UFA. He does not have the size to be a 4th line center, Murray likes Lewis in that spot.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
One thing overlooked about the addition of Gagne (maybe I missed it since I didn't dig through all 8 pages) is his defensive game. He is such a dangerous player because of his intelligence on the ice, knows where to be and he is just as dangerous of a penalty killer as Mike Richards.
Exactly. The Kings had serious issues last season with forwards being out of position for a variety of reasons. Whether it was lack of game sense (Stoll, Simmonds, Brown), lack of speed (Handzus) or both (Smyth). Handzus was and will always be a smart defensive player but his speed was a real liability last season, Richards replacing him is an upgrade in every way possible. Gagne over Smyth is just massive, you add a defensively responsible player with speed who can play in all situations and subtract the biggest defensive liability on the team.

Richards, Kopitar, Gagne, Lewis should be the Kings four key PK forwards this season. Again a huge upgrade over what they had last season. No doubt about it.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

With more and more teams spending recklessly every offseason, the Kings are positioned to make more serious runs at the top free agents next year (or in 2014 when a number of superstars become unrestricted). Patrick Sharp would look nice in a Kings uniform. And yes, he is another former Flyer.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:34 AM
bobafettish*

hate to be the negative nancy but whats the over/under on games he plays next year, my guess is 35.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:36 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
With more and more teams spending recklessly every offseason, the Kings are positioned to make more serious runs at the top free agents next year (or in 2014 when a number of superstars become unrestricted). Patrick Sharp would look nice in a Kings uniform. And yes, he is another former Flyer.
I don't want this to be the beginning of the excuses why they don't win. Unless someone gets permanently injured so that they will never play again, the Kings have enough of everything to win NOW - not when prospect X gets more experience, but NOW!

Let's not even look to improve - just perform!

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Excited we got Gagne and so soon. Didn't think he'd come out west but Richards and Williams had a big hand.

Altough I think we have become legit contenders, I don't want the fanbase to turn into Vancouver fans and become overconfident. We have the pieces in place but we need to stay healthy and play the games.

Looking forward to an exciting year next year. Starting to have that Gretzky era feel when I look down the roster but also with the hope of a future full of decent prospects in the cupboard.

Hoping that a kid like Holloway, Kozun, or Lokti will make it hard on the coaching staff this camp and will make the team.

Go Kings Go!

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
Excited we got Gagne and so soon. Didn't think he'd come out west but Richards and Williams had a big hand.

Altough I think we have become legit contenders, I don't want the fanbase to turn into Vancouver fans and become overconfident. We have the pieces in place but we need to stay healthy and play the games.

Looking forward to an exciting year next year. Starting to have that Gretzky era feel when I look down the roster but also with the hope of a future full of decent prospects in the cupboard.

Hoping that a kid like Holloway, Kozun, or Lokti will make it hard on the coaching staff this camp and will make the team.

Go Kings Go!
I don't think our fanbase will turn into Vancouver Fans unless we're playing against Vancouver. Then it would be warranted.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Defgarden

I'm very happy with this move. Very happy. Gagne is a risk, but the cap hit is pretty low, and it's only two years, which strategically makes a lot of sense. Next season, if Penner isn't working out, he can be traded (or somehow let go), and we can spend money on a top flight LW assuming one is available. This is a great deal.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:03 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
I can't see Loktionov not making the lineup. I see him starting the season on the 3rd or 4th line C position and moving Stoll or Lewis to a wing. Maybe Clifford-Stoll-Lewis as a shut down line and Parse-Loktionov-Richardson for an energy type line. Could easily place Westgarth in when the opposition dresses an enforcer, but looking around the NHL not many teams in the west are going to be doing so.

I agree! Although I don't see Stoll playing the wing. At least not for face-offs. He's still our best face off guy.

my prediction opening night will look like this...

Penner - Kopitar - Williams
Gagne - Richards - Brown
Clifford - Stoll - Lewis
Parse - Loktionov - Richardson

Cliche or Holloway - Westgarth

Doughty - Mitchell
Johnson - Scurderi
Voynov - Greene

Martinez

Quick
Berneir

CTKingsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:05 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by iChoseTheKings View Post
I agree! Although I don't see Stoll playing the wing. At least not for face-offs. He's still our best face off guy.

my prediction opening night will look like this...

Penner - Kopitar - Williams
Gagne - Richards - Brown
Clifford - Stoll - Lewis
Parse - Loktionov - Richardson

Cliche or Holloway - Westgarth

Doughty - Mitchell
Johnson - Scurderi
Voynov - Greene

Martinez

Quick
Berneir
Parse is the wildcard

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:09 AM
KingLB

I think you guys are expecting waayyyy to many concessions to be made for Loki. NHL players don't move over for players from the minors, let alone for ones that struggle on FO's.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:12 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
I'd like to see this as well.

penner-kopi-jwilly
gagne-mrich-brown
clifford-stoll-lewis
parse-lokti-richardson
westgarth........................holloway/fraser

detroit doesnt roll with out-dated enforcers. lokti is imho just going to be something special. hard to wait another year and risk the KHL.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:14 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

you guys... i'm going to be watching a lot of LA games next year. congrats.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:17 AM
funky

love the signing. Good skilled player on both sides of the puck. Suprised the term was so low, was thinking 4 mill a year +.

Trade Loktionov, Moller, Richardson or Voynov or a combo for a big nasty 3rd liner that plays with an edge and we are set.

Only thing I would have wanted that we didnt get is Eager for the 4th.

Next step - sign Drew, Alex and Trevor.

Good work DL and staff. We are true Stanely Cup Contenders

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:32 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
love the signing. Good skilled player on both sides of the puck. Suprised the term was so low, was thinking 4 mill a year +.

Trade Loktionov, Moller, Richardson or Voynov or a combo for a big nasty 3rd liner that plays with an edge and we are set.

Only thing I would have wanted that we didnt get is Eager for the 4th.

Next step - sign Drew, Alex and Trevor.

Good work DL and staff. We are true Stanely Cup Contenders
Uh, no.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:36 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice430 View Post
maybe a midget?
He can't fight himself, can he? Then it'd have himself on there twice.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote