HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joel Ward to Caps 4yrs/ 3 Million Per

Old
07-01-2011, 07:15 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
I love Ward. Nice guy. Works incredibly hard. Humble.

I wouldn't have him in the top six unless I was desperately needing someone who will simply work the boards while the other two forwards offer support/get open. He can win board battles, but the trouble is he doesn't move the puck very well. He isn't a playmaker, nor is he a goal scorer. He isn't exactly fast, though he can get open down the ice. His skating isn't very good. He isn't very physical in terms of using his size to separate players from the puck. He's a very solid bottom six grinder though. He has a habit of killing scoring lines.

Pros: work ethic. grit. good attitude.

Cons: stone hands. mediocre-to-poor skating ability. no offensive instinct in any way.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I'm not the biggest fan. He's like a slower, worse Mike Grier. So, pretty much Hendricks minus the punching.

I understand the rest of the moves, don't like this one.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:43 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
meant to say that bb uses 28 at rw.

yea. chimmer

Not anymore. Psych.

So that tells we go Brouwer at 2 LW. Has Ward ever played LW? I still think Laich beats out MJ for game 1 at 2C.

Brow Laich Semin
Chim MJ Ward
Hendy Halpie Beagle
SoJo King

FehIR to start the year.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Hale Dunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

I wouldn't have him in the top six unless I was desperately needing someone who will simply work the boards while the other two forwards offer support/get open. He can win board battles, but the trouble is he doesn't move the puck very well. He isn't a playmaker, nor is he a goal scorer. He isn't exactly fast, though he can get open down the ice. His skating isn't very good. He isn't very physical in terms of using his size to separate players from the puck. He's a very solid bottom six grinder though. He has a habit of killing scoring lines.

Cons: stone hands. mediocre-to-poor skating ability. no offensive instinct in any way.
Well there must be something. he has scored 51g in 3y with Nashville.

I'll take it.

Hale Dunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Capitlols

Not going to lie before the off-season began I was hoping we didn't sign Ward. I would of much preferred Upshall, but the figures and term he got is ridiculous. Ward is a solid 3rd liner, and there in lies the problem. $3mil is a steep price for a player like that.

Edit: Handzus @ $2.5mil would of been much better.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:42 AM
Webersmashpuck

I think you guys will love Ward just for how he plays. He does have offense and the occasional soft hands, but most points come from hard work. When healthy, I have never seen Ward lose a board battle, there are times when he is fighting for the puck with 3 opponents and somehow he will skate out with the puck.

In the playoffs Ward is another player. It is truly unexplainable as he has 17 pts in 18 games in the playoffs and yet he struggles to get past 30 in the regular season. I will say if he is put in a more offensive role then I can see Ward getting 40 points but not many more.

Just a clip of the type of goal Ward scores (he gets about 3 or 4 of these a year)

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:50 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
He won't be able to do that next year with Varly in net.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 07-02-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:05 AM
ReggietheSavage15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I'm not the biggest fan. He's like a slower, worse Mike Grier. So, pretty much Hendricks minus the punching.

So of all the guys in the NHL, he best compares to Mike Grier. Interesting. LOL.

ReggietheSavage15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:36 AM
txpd

Quote:

except that he scored 7 goals in the playoffs this season. 13 pts when you add in the 6 assists. in 6 games last season he was 2+2. when it comes to playoffs he has delivered far more than hendricks without the punching.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
They didn't sign him for his goal scoring prowess. You'll only be disappointed if you think he's a 20-goal scorer.
And I think thats why there is little risk in a move like this.....the salary is a bit high but this is a player that brings things they dont have, and were not going to get without this kind of move.

Its a bigger risk IMO to overpay a non-elite scoring type player than a hard nose checker who brings his game when things get tough. The success of this move wont be judged by how many goals he scores....but by how he plays the game when it matters most

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggietheSavage15 View Post
So of all the guys in the NHL, he best compares to Mike Grier. Interesting. LOL.
The "Mike Grier" archetype is a relatively common comparison around these parts. Usually with the "white Mike Grier", but typically used to describe a guy with good hustle, ok forecheck, but minimal to no hands.

I can see where you might suggest the comparison is racially based, but I don't agree.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:15 PM
HockeyTownUSA

I guess the Caps think he is a late bloomer. He'll be 31 yrs old in Dec., only 3 full seasons in the league, hasn't exactly lit up the lamp consistently (except for the recent playoff run). That is a long term deal for a a lot of money for a guy who has 99 career points. If you are not a Caps fan you gotta love it.

HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:28 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:

but why they pay him 3 million ? hendricks even has the penalty shot bonus. dont understand that either. to me this move shows that they will keep that "defensive" system by believing grinders will bail the fat guy out. in that case, the season is lost before it begins.

it looks like the caps will have one of the highest 3.line in the league (payment wise).

when the season starts, this team will fail on the ice hard. the cherry on top will be like schulz signs for 7 years/4m.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Dirtbag59

My biggest worry is that this is the NFL equivalent of signing Larry Brown, Desmond Howard, or Dexter Jackson to big contracts after Super Bowl MVP performances.

Look at how many can'ts he got from a Preds fan.
Quote:
but the trouble is he doesn't move the puck very well. He isn't a playmaker, nor is he a goal scorer. He isn't exactly fast, though he can get open down the ice. His skating isn't very good. He isn't very physical in terms of using his size to separate players from the puck.
Can't skate, deke, or pass, and his hitting is very limited. However he was extremely hot for the playoffs. This seems very high risk to me. I hope winning board battles is worth $3 million a year.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:38 PM
um

Quote:

i never saw hendricks do this

dont fool yourself ward is way better than hendricks

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:35 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Yeah, Ward is a significantly better defensive player than Hendricks, and has more offensive ability to boot.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:26 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

He's just flat-out better in the playoffs. There are guys like that in this league. Twenty GMs looked into his services in the last couple of days, all knowing that 40 points is about what he'll get in the season. You don't bring him in for December hockey, but for May hockey. I don't think he'll be on the second line for long, but he'll work his way back there as a fixture in the post season. He has that second gear when it matters.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:03 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I dont know Joel Ward but it seems like he needs a bump. He is our 5th highest paid forward afterall.

I presume he will be our 3RW but Fehr just keeps hanging around. His playoff resume is nice but its only 18 games. We have all seen that Druce Bergenheim Ward performance and its tough to not covet those guys. But it seemed some here were weary of inking Bergenheim. By the time i figured out Bergs was killing us, the series was over.

Flat out if he maintains his PPPG rate its a great signing, but I think that will be hard to maintain.

RW Depth Chart by Salary
Semin
Ward
Brouwer
Fehr
Knuble
Beagle

I project Brouwer at LW but if Laich ends up back at wing, we are jack stacked at RW. We may be jack stacked regardless if Fehr rebounds. A RW seems destined to be a LW. I would like Eric Sink or Swin Fehr to get a look at LW.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Ward press conference audio.

"Slot me in wherever and I'll just get the job done."

Guy's a ****ing trooper.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 01:55 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
He won't be able to do that next year with Varly in net.
Maybe not, but that is the perfect "groin killer" move to do against a goalie. If he does one or two of those when the Caps play the Avs, the expected value of that 1st round pick skyrockets.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Fail Murder Varly for Nail

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Jedgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Fail Murder Varly for Nail
I laughed, and then I felt like an awful person and regretted laughing, sorry Varly!

Jedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Vabeachblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Ward press conference audio.

"Slot me in wherever and I'll just get the job done."

Guy's a ****ing trooper.
**** yes

Vabeachblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 03:50 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

Those reasons are why I like Ward.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:15 PM
FrankM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
I think you guys will love Ward just for how he plays. He does have offense and the occasional soft hands, but most points come from hard work. When healthy, I have never seen Ward lose a board battle, there are times when he is fighting for the puck with 3 opponents and somehow he will skate out with the puck.

In the playoffs Ward is another player. It is truly unexplainable as he has 17 pts in 18 games in the playoffs and yet he struggles to get past 30 in the regular season. I will say if he is put in a more offensive role then I can see Ward getting 40 points but not many more.

Just a clip of the type of goal Ward scores (he gets about 3 or 4 of these a year)

That's a goal scorer's goal!

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote