HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LA Signs Gagne - 2 Years - $3.5M Cap Hit - $7 million Total

Old
07-03-2011, 12:37 AM
NHLNUT04
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
LA keeps on stacking skilled players. The Kings want to win right now. I guess...

07-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Monarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Trade Loktionov, Moller, Richardson or Voynov or a combo for a big nasty 3rd liner that plays with an edge and we are set.
IMO we are set to make the playoffs now, so stand pat until someone is desperate and take advantage of them. We don't need the playoff roster to open the season.

Stoll+ for Iginla in January, when the Flames are mathematically eliminated, and Brown goes to 3rd line right wing.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:38 AM
KingsCourt

Very good offseason so far...I'd like to see a depth fourth liner signed, icing a lot of young players can be dicey sometimes

KingsCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:41 AM
KingsCourt

But its nice to talk about a getting a depth player rather than the same top talent...I hope penner wakes the f up!

KingsCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Johnny Utah

Why would the Kings put Loktionov on the 4th line?

He has not played more than 40 games in Manchester....he is the Kings future #3 center. I don't see him making it until Stoll is gone as a UFA next summer, that way he can try and get a full year in the AHL under his belt. He has had two injury ridden seasons so far. Kings coaches agreed he is not as effective on the LW and he is not suited for a 4th line center role because of his size, that is better suited for Fraser and Lewis.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:35 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

yey?

IF we get the Gagne that played up until 2 years ago then good signing. If we get the Gagne of the last two seasons then oh well.

He is a King now so Welcome Aboard Simon Gagne. Here is to a healthy back to back 30 goal seasons and two big shiny trophy's.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:43 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
yey?

IF we get the Gagne that played up until 2 years ago then good signing. If we get the Gagne of the last two seasons then oh well.

He is a King now so Welcome Aboard Simon Gagne. Here is to a healthy back to back 30 goal seasons and two big shiny trophy's.
Even injured put up good numbers last year.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:44 AM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

I'm very happy with this signing. I must say, I was surprised Dean signed him for the price and term he did and also with the swiftness it all went down after Richards made his decision. I'm really not that concerned with the whole injury thing, especially with how he finished the second half of the season and how he performed in the playoffs. Gagne had 27 points his last 30 regular season games and 12 points in 15 playoff games. To me, I see that as him turning the corner from his last injury and I can see him continuing on that path with us. Our team is definitely a legitimate contender now.

cyclones22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:46 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
Stoll+ for Iginla in January, when the Flames are mathematically eliminated, and Brown goes to 3rd line right wing.
You do realize that being mathematically eliminated in January is impossible, don't you? Since Calgary plays 51 games up to the end of January, they would have to be over 62 points behind the 8th place team in the standings ...

Effectively eliminated? Ok
Mathematically eliminated? uhhhh, no

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:59 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
IMO we are set to make the playoffs now, so stand pat until someone is desperate and take advantage of them. We don't need the playoff roster to open the season.

Calgary wouldn't trade Iginla for a Stoll package. And the playoffs are when LA would need Stoll's faceoff mastery the most.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:04 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I hope we bring up Kozun for our third line.

Clifford/Lewis/Kozun would be one tuff line to play against.

Parse/Stoll/Richardson is a nifty fast skilled line that can play at both ends.

Gagne/Kopitar/Williams a great skill sniper line

Penner/MR/Brown could be one of the scariest lines to play against that you could imagine if DP comes to camp ready to win a cup. Big Scary and Hits like a truck all coupled with some serious skills. Could be one heck of a line to try and defend against.

Throw Westgarth and Holloway in where needed and we are good.

Old
07-03-2011, 02:05 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Even injured put up good numbers last year.
17 goals is meh to me but I am willing to want the best for and from him for certain.

Old
07-03-2011, 02:10 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
17 goals is meh to me but I am willing to want the best for and from him for certain.
In 63 games with the first part of his season being well below par. I could easily see 25 goals next year. Kinda weird that the Kings top6 all have 30 potential imo. (no way they all get it....just saying)

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:14 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Yep

The guy has the hands to exceed his past two season goal totals and reuniting him with MR might also make both of them feel better about being in L.A. and adapt/adjust more easily too.

I also have a tuff time with the idea of all of the top 6 hitting target but then weirder things have happened in the past.

Not to us but it has happened? (at least not in a long time and not too often).

Old
07-03-2011, 02:27 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Gagne sounds healthy and could have a good rebound season.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:33 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Yes and he is a good guy both in the locker room and off the ice. He has a good rep.

The other plus is that DL's evil plan of taking over the Fliers and secretly bringing them to Los Angeles a little bit at a time is now one step closer to fruition.

Next years Jersey will have the Flier P in Purple Black and White with a crown hanging off of it.

Old
07-03-2011, 02:42 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I don't know why people are messing with the lines, it's quite clear they'll look like this coming out of training camp:

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Gagné-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Lewis/Richardson
Parse-Richardson-Westgarth
Holloway? King? It's a toss up, Loktionov will probably make the team coming out of camp, like last season

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:44 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
3 people will all to similar avatars. Now I can't just look for mine and pick it out easily haha.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:47 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

When I bought my tickets for the Stockholm game I couldn't even dream about a top six looking like this. I'm thrilled.

To hear players coming here and express their thoughts about promising future for the Kings that is some darm good music to my ears.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:05 AM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Why would the Kings put Loktionov on the 4th line?

He has not played more than 40 games in Manchester....he is the Kings future #3 center. I don't see him making it until Stoll is gone as a UFA next summer, that way he can try and get a full year in the AHL under his belt. He has had two injury ridden seasons so far. Kings coaches agreed he is not as effective on the LW and he is not suited for a 4th line center role because of his size, that is better suited for Fraser and Lewis.
Makes sense, but I think there's something to be said for bringing a guy along slowly (even a skilled guy) on the 4th line. Example: Datsyuk

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
I'm very happy with this move. Very happy. Gagne is a risk, but the cap hit is pretty low, and it's only two years, which strategically makes a lot of sense. Next season, if Penner isn't working out, he can be traded (or somehow let go), and we can spend money on a top flight LW assuming one is available. This is a great deal.
I hadn't thought about Penner in relation to all this. Not only is he in a contract year but he will also need to compete for his position. This may make him work harder which is a good thing.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:02 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

So Lombardi had a Plan B this time...

Los Angeles Kings Move Quickly To Plan B: Sign Left Wing Simon Gagne To 2-Year Deal

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:22 AM
northernKing

I wouldn't mind LA signing Zenon Konopka. He brings top end faceoff ability and also fights. Would eliminate the need to dress the one dimensional Westgarth. With him Stoll and Richards LA would have 3 top end faceoff guys.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:28 AM
northernKing

So I am assuming Gagne will get his number #12 which begs the question what number will Loktionov wear? Anyone know his number in Manchester?

Old
07-03-2011, 09:30 AM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
So I am assuming Gagne will get his number #12 which begs the question what number will Loktionov wear? Anyone know his number in Manchester?
Well I guess he won't get his #18 as its retired. Maybe he gets to go with a high number like #81? I recall DL not liking that but maybe he gives the kid a break after he forfeits his number to Gagne lol!