HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

44th Obsequious Banter Thread - The Most Interesting Thread in the World

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2011, 03:04 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Simpsons: 13. SNL: 11 or so. Looney Toons: Forever as I can remember. Ren & Stimpy: Maybe earlier than Power Rangers. Weird times and honestly, the shows back then were so much better. All the cartoons that were clever and funny are all dead now for brain-dead shows (e.g. Spongebob).
12 was the age limit we put for our son to watch The Simpsons. Looney Tunes was an absolute staple on Saturday mornings, and I'm old enough to have watched them in all their violent glory.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:37 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
12 was the age limit we put for our son to watch The Simpsons. Looney Tunes was an absolute staple on Saturday mornings, and I'm old enough to have watched them in all their violent glory.
I guess you're a parent that doesn't want their kids playing rated M games or watching rated R movies until they're old enough too, right? Not condescending, just asking.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:50 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Well **** I do need a new avatar considering my old was was Richie pummeling Ovechkin. Any suggestions?

07-02-2011, 05:36 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Well **** I do need a new avatar considering my old was was Richie pummeling Ovechkin. Any suggestions?

Old
07-02-2011, 11:49 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
I guess you're a parent that doesn't want their kids playing rated M games or watching rated R movies until they're old enough too, right? Not condescending, just asking.
He actually just bought his first M-rated game today (Dragon Age), and we're picky about the movies, too. Just a couple of tyrant killjoys, my wife and I! We watched Grand Torino together last week.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:57 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
He actually just bought his first M-rated game today (Dragon Age), and we're picky about the movies, too. Just a couple of tyrant killjoys, my wife and I! We watched Grand Torino together last week.
When I was his age, I'd never be allowed to go buy one of those games. One of the very few games I had at that age was MGS1 for the PS1 and I had to hide the rating away from my mom for god knows how long... till it ****ing disappeared.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:09 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
When I was his age, I'd never be allowed to go buy one of those games. One of the very few games I had at that age was MGS1 for the PS1 and I had to hide the rating away from my mom for god knows how long... till it ****ing disappeared.
He's a pretty mature kid (not that I'm objective), and he self-censors at times more than we do. Sorry if this is bragging, but he got the game for being on honour roll.

But enough about my family, I'm definitely in favour of not exposing children to inappropriate content. It bugs my grumpy old man type when I see or hear of kids as young as 5/6 watching PG-13 and R movies. What are the parents thinking?

Old
07-03-2011, 12:10 AM
mypunkrock

Used to make my mom watch me play Resident Evil, just so I could explain what was happening. When kids can contextualize what they are playing/watching, it ceases to be age-inappropriate.

Talking things out with your kids can be quite helpful.

Old
07-03-2011, 03:26 AM
TheLegendkiller

Yo somebody tell the main board to shut the **** up. Forever it was "Flyers need a goalie" now its "Flyers have the wrong goalie, whose bad in the post-season blah blah blah" Yo shut the **** up, like seriously.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:18 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Yo somebody tell the main board to shut the **** up. Forever it was "Flyers need a goalie" now its "Flyers have the wrong goalie, whose bad in the post-season blah blah blah" Yo shut the **** up, like seriously.
Just do what I do and avoid that board. No one knows anything about any other team but their own and objectivity is nil. For the most part, that is. There are some quality posters.

It's stupid because unless you're ragging on your own team, you're considered a homer.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:35 AM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Just do what I do and avoid that board. No one knows anything about any other team but their own and objectivity is nil. For the most part, that is. There are some quality posters.

It's stupid because unless you're ragging on your own team, you're considered a homer.
Hmm good point. Also, Winter Classic tickets didn't go on sale yet right? My friend apparently thinks they did. But he's kind of a dumbass so I'm not sure.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:46 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Hmm good point. Also, Winter Classic tickets didn't go on sale yet right? My friend apparently thinks they did. But he's kind of a dumbass so I'm not sure.
No. It hasn't even been officially announced.

Old
07-04-2011, 03:37 AM
Richyrich

So, I know I've been vacant for a while, I just thought this was important to post

TO ANYONE WHO LIVES NEAR BROAD AND WOLF

Tonight I was being followed by a 5'10" roughly 175 lb young black male black male once I exited the 711 on Broad and Wolf. He followed me for 1/2 block before I doubled back to broad. I am 100% sure I was being followed as he was waiting in front of methodist hospital and did not get up until I passed him. I noticed he was behind me so I crossed the street then doubled back to broad and caught a cab. The police have been notified but if you live in the area be aware that there is someone who appears to be trying to mug people so be careful and make sure you are not being followed

Old
07-04-2011, 09:25 AM
infidelappel*

I just did >5 pull ups for the first time in my life. (I've always had horrible upper-body strength).

Old
07-04-2011, 11:13 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I just did >5 pull ups for the first time in my life. (I've always had horrible upper-body strength).
you = Mike Richards now.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Opus

Bryz is looking for input...
Quote:
To all Flyers Fans: Any suggestions on artwork for my new helmet??? Someone suggested Ivan Dragooo?

http://twitter.com/#!/bryzgoalie30

Old
07-04-2011, 01:40 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post

I suggested to him that he gets a mask highlighting the prolific history of Russian players on the Flyers

Old
07-04-2011, 01:51 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post

Ivan Dragoo is probably a bad idea.

Quote:
I suggested to him that he gets a mask highlighting the prolific history of Russian players on the Flyers
All 2 of them.

Old
07-05-2011, 05:17 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Any cat people on here? I have two cats about two years old. How long is too long to leave them alone? We've left them alone from Friday night to Sunday afternoon/night a million times and have never had a problem (left extra food and water, etc). This weekend we plan on going home Thursday night until Monday afternoon/night. Sounds a little long to me but the wife says that if there's enough food, water, and litter cats can pretty much be alone forever. Anyone got any info on this?

Old
07-05-2011, 05:21 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Any cat people on here? I have two cats about two years old. How long is too long to leave them alone? We've left them alone from Friday night to Sunday afternoon/night a million times and have never had a problem (left extra food and water, etc). This weekend we plan on going home Thursday night until Monday afternoon/night. Sounds a little long to me but the wife says that if there's enough food, water, and litter cats can pretty much be alone forever. Anyone got any info on this?
On a related note, for how long can a dog, well and properly crate trained, be alone during the day without being miserable or making a mess of its space?

I'm researching puppies (and how to raise them) because I've always wanted one, but I work 10 hour days M-F...I've had some suggested that it'd be fine, others that any dog under 1 year old would be bad news...any ideas, folks?

Old
07-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I've heard it can tend to make dogs a little bit mean. My mom leaves her 9 month old sheppard-lab mix in it's crate for long periods and it isn't mean yet. It is very very excitable and rambunctious whenever it's out though.

Old
07-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
On a related note, for how long can a dog, well and properly crate trained, be alone during the day without being miserable or making a mess of its space?

I'm researching puppies (and how to raise them) because I've always wanted one, but I work 10 hour days M-F...I've had some suggested that it'd be fine, others that any dog under 1 year old would be bad news...any ideas, folks?
That sounds like bad news. I love dogs, but I wouldn't have one unless I knew someone could take care of them at least once while I was at work, especially while they're a puppy and need to be crated. I doubt a small dog could make it that long.

07-05-2011, 05:41 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
So Ed Van Impe and Valery Kharlamov's shattered ankle bone?

Old
07-05-2011, 05:42 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
That sounds like bad news. I love dogs, but I wouldn't have one unless I knew someone could take care of them at least once while I was at work, especially while they're a puppy and need to be crated. I doubt a small dog could make it that long.
My thinking, from reading some books, is that I'd probably take off from work for about 3 weeks. During that time, I'd ramp up the crate time until it approaches the amount it might see during the day when it's older...and then, talking to my boss, it may be possible to schedule my day such that I can go home and walk said dog at lunch for at least the first couple months.

Really, I'm trying to figure out how long it would take until it would be alright if it didn't have that break during the day. I do have a roommate who usually gets home like an hour before I do, but I don't want to put the responsibility on him of having to clear HIS schedule to go home and do it.

It's tough to figure out. Some dog owners have told me at a certain age it could manage, others have told me not at all. Depending on the breed, I could just take it to work with me, but I don't want a 'small' dog so at a point it's going to outgrow that ability.

It's tricky.

Old
07-05-2011, 06:04 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Someone please hug me, for I am 6 again.

When my kid sister (ten years younger than me) were around 1 years old she refused to eat anything unless this film was playing at the same time:

She has always been extremely stubborn, so she got her will through. This went on for about half a year to three quarters of a year, and hence I pretty much know that film's dialogue from end to end still today.

For me though, Winnie the Pooh, or Nalle Puh here in Sweden, should be read by the great actor Allan Edwall. That's the real stuff.

(I'll be sure to see this new film though.)

Closed Thread