HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does The Connolly Signing Make Grabovski Expendable?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2011, 09:53 PM
  #76
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,196
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
grabovski is going to make BANK in free agency so i don't see him resigning with us
He'll have to set the league afire, and if the rest of the team follows suit, why not
resign, where you and the team is having success

I mean tangible playoff tested success, not mere optimism that we may possess now.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:00 AM
  #77
Baldo Ronaldo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
Everyone is talking about Kadri as a centre. Last year at least, they seemed to be giving up on that in favour of left wing - right?

This thread makes me wonder if we need a definitions section for "first line centre".
I am inclined to believe there actually aren't all that many around and that lots of teams including the Leafs don't have one but are still successful.

Don't forget, Grabo wasn't Burke's acquisition but he was the one to sign him. I think he likes Grabo just fine.

Nobody likes to admit it (including me) but if all this "first line centre" talk is caused by Kessel's needs then he sure as heck isn't the kind of player Burke must have thought he was in basically mortgaging the entire future for him. Other wingers have done just fine without dynamo centres (Rick Nash, Jarome Iginla come to mind).

I wasn't crazy about Burke and I'm still not. It is hard to see the top six bottom six philosophy being executed properly in Toronto. By the way, I think it's a very difficult sort of programme to implement anyway. Toronto would've been way further off going with a puck possession style given their playersand the way they play.

Baldo Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:49 AM
  #78
hullsy47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
I'd much rather have Grabo than Connolly.
sorry folks your gonna have to bend me over real good to get me to think the new york yankees of hockey fleeced 29 other teams by getting connolly .....sorry if hes not american does burke even sign him?this guy could bend over tie his skates and be out a month ..sorry i just am really dissapointed
buffalo would have kept for that price if he is a legitimate upgrade
sorry dissaponting off season so far by blow hard burke

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:54 AM
  #79
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
sorry folks your gonna have to bend me over real good to get me to think the new york yankees of hockey fleeced 29 other teams by getting connolly .....sorry if hes not american does burke even sign him?this guy could bend over tie his skates and be out a month ..sorry i just am really dissapointed
buffalo would have kept for that price if he is a legitimate upgrade
sorry dissaponting off season so far by blow hard burke
Is anyone really surprised by this?

Brian "Blow Hard" Burke is a poor excuse for a GM and I hope he ****s back off across the border with his bff Ron Wilson before too long.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:57 AM
  #80
Joey Hoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,469
vCash: 500
So, we go into the summer in desperate need of a #1 center, we get a half-assed one and that makes our current best center expendable? WTF?

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:58 AM
  #81
Greg McKegg
Registered User
 
Greg McKegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
I'd hate to see this thread with Greg Sherman as our GM instead of Burke.

Greg McKegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:59 AM
  #82
TMLFAN4LIFE
Registered User
 
TMLFAN4LIFE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 601
vCash: 500
The signing of Connolly should make Macarthur expendable if anything. This free agent market as we have seen, is incredibly inflated...Macarthur is going to ask for something around 4 million... there's no way we're keeping him. Yes Connolly did play with him in Buffalo, and he said that he's looking forward to playing with Macarthur in Toronto, but I don't see that happening if his contract is going to be anywhere remotely close to Connolly's (which its going to be).

If Kadri and Colbourne are going to be everyday players this season, that makes Grabovski expendable anyways.

TMLFAN4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:12 AM
  #83
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK
 
therealkoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: the Prior
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFAN4LIFE View Post
The signing of Connolly should make Macarthur expendable if anything. This free agent market as we have seen, is incredibly inflated...Macarthur is going to ask for something around 4 million... there's no way we're keeping him. Yes Connolly did play with him in Buffalo, and he said that he's looking forward to playing with Macarthur in Toronto, but I don't see that happening if his contract is going to be anywhere remotely close to Connolly's (which its going to be).
.......and MacArthur has said the exact same thing......which kind of tells me that MacArthur has plans of staying in the big smoke

As far as Grabs being expendable, I'm one of those that thinks the signing does make him somewhat expendable. I' wouldn't exactly start shopping him but then again......

I like Grabovski a lot and supported him even when others were totally incapable of seeing how good he really was and what his true upside was. I never saw Grabs as anything less then an excellent #2 anywhere in the league and even a poor mans #1 when need be. I'm sure there are a couple of destinations where a team has an up and coming #1 with an incumbent #1 that will need to be moved(I can think of two off the top of my head). One of which would be a very good addition the other maybe not so much.

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:17 AM
  #84
Ohio Jones
Moderator
The other Dexter
 
Ohio Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 500
How exactly is the absence of a first line center other than Richards in free agency Bruke's fault? I don't get how he becomes "blow had Burke" on the basis of this off-season. He's made two decent skilled acquisitions for what are (under the current cap) reasonable prices, while leaving the team with lots of cap space to make a major move later in the season, like he did previously with Phaneuf. Not a Burke apologist, but also not a hater bent on criticizing his every breath and I don't get the people who are.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:21 AM
  #85
david999
Registered User
 
david999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 643
vCash: 500
Why would our best forward from last year (according to Wilson) now be expendable with the signing of a player that most fans in Buffalo couldn't wait to get out of town? Grabo showed way more heart and grit than we can expect from Connolly this year. It would be a big mistake to even think of moving him at this stage.

david999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:25 AM
  #86
Leafssss
Registered User
 
Leafssss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CANADA
Posts: 4,163
vCash: 500
I think Burke will now start dangling Grabovski + for that 1st line centre.

Leafssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:26 AM
  #87
Falon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Posts: 1,741
vCash: 500
I wouldn't say expendable, but he could be moved. MacA, Garbo and a prospect (D'amigo) for Stastny could be a legit possibility. If Connolly gets hurt, bring up Colbourne. That's you strategy right there. Just need to sign a #3 LW.

Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:29 AM
  #88
Cam Neely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
not sure if this thread title is serious

if anyone is expendable, its connolly lol

Cam Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:33 AM
  #89
francis246
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 275
vCash: 500
grabo isn't going unless the offer is serious, I'm hoping Grabo and Kulemin get locked up and we keep them for a long time. Connolly is just a stop-gap and will probably be moved IMO in the near future, but for the time being he will be on the first line with Lupul and Kessel I believe.

francis246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:34 AM
  #90
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,146
vCash: 500
Skipping over the posts, the point that people are missing is can the Leafs afford Grabo with the Connelly signing, if Grabo has a season like last year's how does he not test the market? Furthermore the 4.75 Connelly received from the Leafs makes Grabo's opening contract demands at 5 atleast and even moreso he will want term, a 4-5 year deal. I would be willing to bet he's traded before the trade deadline this year, he will have significant value on the market for playoff bound teams.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:49 AM
  #91
nuck
Axis of Evil
 
nuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: North Korea
Posts: 5,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by francis246 View Post
grabo isn't going unless the offer is serious, I'm hoping Grabo and Kulemin get locked up and we keep them for a long time. Connolly is just a stop-gap and will probably be moved IMO in the near future, but for the time being he will be on the first line with Lupul and Kessel I believe.
^ This. Connolly was basically dropped by the Sabres. Not the prejudices of a few fans, but by an organization that had a need for a scoring center and made a hockey decision that it would be better to go outside to get someone rather than keep him. That should give a pretty good idea of how the club that knows him best values him. He has an upside which the Sabres did not expect him to find but is obviously a big question mark. Some of the Sabres fans that came on the board tried to point this out but were accused of trolling.

I don't for a minute think they would break up their solid second line in hopes of fixing the first line. If someone is available, they will find another way. Same reason they don't deal Reimer. They need to fix the broken things, not the parts of the club that are working fine. If ConnollY gets 75pts this year, maybe they might change their mind but Grabo is not likely to be on their list to deal for a mystery player. And if Connolly did get 75pts it might make more sense to find a scoring winger to replace Lupul and round out their top 6 scoring that way.

I think TC will get close to 60 points if he stays healthy. I don't think he will be a -29 and based on these things he makes the club 5 wins better than the 32pt guy he replaces. He could melt down too (drinking man? popped wood in the team shower? raging bipolar?). I think he is the best short term solution out there and I think he will outscore Weiss next season and I also expect he will be dealt or not reupped after 2 years and that Grabovski will remain.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:01 AM
  #92
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
^ This. Connolly was basically dropped by the Sabres. Not the prejudices of a few fans, but by an organization that had a need for a scoring center and made a hockey decision that it would be better to go outside to get someone rather than keep him. That should give a pretty good idea of how the club that knows him best values him. He has an upside which the Sabres did not expect him to find but is obviously a big question mark. Some of the Sabres fans that came on the board tried to point this out but were accused of trolling.

I don't for a minute think they would break up their solid second line in hopes of fixing the first line. If someone is available, they will find another way. Same reason they don't deal Reimer. They need to fix the broken things, not the parts of the club that are working fine. If ConnollY gets 75pts this year, maybe they might change their mind but Grabo is not likely to be on their list to deal for a mystery player. And if Connolly did get 75pts it might make more sense to find a scoring winger to replace Lupul and round out their top 6 scoring that way.

I think TC will get close to 60 points if he stays healthy. I don't think he will be a -29 and based on these things he makes the club 5 wins better than the 32pt guy he replaces. He could melt down too (drinking man? popped wood in the team shower? raging bipolar?). I think he is the best short term solution out there and I think he will outscore Weiss next season and I also expect he will be dealt or not reupped after 2 years and that Grabovski will remain.
It will be interesting to see how Connolly does this year, his previous season high total was 65pts and he has never scored 20 goals yet. At 30, if he can have a career year it will be a good signing, I just haven't seen many 30 year olds hit their peak at 30, the positive about this signing is the term no doubt, 2 years is not much risk.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:09 AM
  #93
Porn*
Registered User
 
Porn*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In your nightmares
Country: Israel
Posts: 33,904
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Porn*
we haven't made the PO's in years, no one is safe. Schenn included...

Given connelly's injuries woes, I could see him being paired up with Lupul and MacArthur (previous linemates), leaving grabo with kessel and kulemin.



or:

Macarthur-Connolly-Kessel
Lupul-Grabo-Kulemin

Porn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:13 PM
  #94
AStanley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Connolly's proven to be injury-prone. Then keep him off the penalty kill, where he once blocked a shot and
broke a foot. Leave him 5 on 5 and the powerplay. We have enough third and forth liners to block shots.

AStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:15 PM
  #95
Raging Bull
Registered User
 
Raging Bull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hamilton, ONT
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,448
vCash: 500
Grabovski is by far a better player, so I don't see how getting a worse player makes him expendable.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:22 PM
  #96
nuck
Axis of Evil
 
nuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: North Korea
Posts: 5,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
It will be interesting to see how Connolly does this year, his previous season high total was 65pts and he has never scored 20 goals yet. At 30, if he can have a career year it will be a good signing, I just haven't seen many 30 year olds hit their peak at 30, the positive about this signing is the term no doubt, 2 years is not much risk.
All he really needs to do is repeat his 48 game 08-09 season but not get hurt. That would be 78 points and +19 when everyone above him on the club was a minus player. I believe he played with Vanek that year who was similar to Kessel. The next year he was +10 and on a 70 point pace. I would guess 70 points might be possible again if he doesn't have injury or personal issues. If he hit 70 you would have to like the clubs chances at a playoff birth, and Kessel managing 40+ goals. 08 and 09 should be repeatable performances but we don't know what the Sabres know. What we do know is, no assets went out and its a good term.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:40 PM
  #97
ryno23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,555
vCash: 500
I really hope the Leafs do not trade Garbo. He is developing into a good centre and a spark plug for this team. He makes people around him better works his ace off and doesn't back down when the tough get going.

After seeing that goal in Boston after Chara crushed him that sealed it for me thinking Garbo is a Burke type player. No he is not the most physical but he is tough to beat down.

Also remember Burke never said he hated skilled guys he likes those for top 6 but if they had a bit of truculence it would be a bonus.

If we traded Garbo we would be looking to replace him.

ryno23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:29 PM
  #98
The Beyonder
Registered User
 
The Beyonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,600
vCash: 500
Grabo is still the best centre on this team and getting rid of him would be a mistake... Unless he's asking for too much money.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:57 PM
  #99
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!
 
philer Bozel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo Ronaldo View Post
Everyone is talking about Kadri as a centre. Last year at least, they seemed to be giving up on that in favour of left wing - right?

This thread makes me wonder if we need a definitions section for "first line centre".
I am inclined to believe there actually aren't all that many

around and that lots of teams including the Leafs don't have one but are still successful.

Don't forget, Grabo wasn't Burke's acquisition but he was the one to sign him. I think he likes Grabo just fine.

Nobody likes to admit it (including me) but if all this "first line centre" talk is caused by Kessel's needs then he sure as heck isn't the kind of player Burke must have thought he was in basically mortgaging the entire future for him. Other wingers have done just fine without dynamo centres (Rick Nash, Jarome Iginla come to mind).

I wasn't crazy about Burke and I'm still not. It is hard to see the top six bottom six philosophy being executed properly in Toronto. By the way, I think it's a very difficult sort of programme to implement anyway. Toronto would've been way further off going with a puck possession style given their playersand the way they play.
Actually kessel has scored 30 goals twice with the leafs playing with some trash players i like bozak and still thinnks hes a good player but didn't kessel play with crabb for a while.... i cant really expect him to play to his full potential whens hes playing with guys 5 skill levels under him

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.