HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors From Non-Credible Sources

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2011, 09:16 AM
AGalchenyuk27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
I'm not saying that I want Vinnie on the team. In fact, I clearly state in my post that I'm not sure I'd want the Habs to acquire him. As I said, it's just an idea I threw out there as a possible scenario.

Out of interest, is the above quote aimed at me in any way or just a general comment on the masses? Because on the off chance that you genuinely think it is a factor in why I'd 'want' him, please allow me to respond by saying

Because of paramount importance to this English guy with limited understanding of French who has never been to Quebec before is getting more QC guys on the Habs. Like I said,

Now, what we actually need is more English guys on the Habs. THAT is an idea I would FULLY subscribe to. I know there aren't many out there but if it comes to it, I'm a right handed center who can win a draw and I'm taller than Desharnais. Just about
To think the QC comment was aimed at you is ridiculous. I've been around these parts long enough to know who is QC and who isn't...

The comment was more directed toward you opening up a wormhole for other posters to jump on the Vinnie bandwagon (again). Let it die!

And I doubt you would win a draw in the NHL

Old
07-03-2011, 09:44 AM
TheBuriedHab

Tony brought it up too on july 1 that he got an email that said they were ramping it up on the Gomez front, even sending him down if they can't dinf a taker. Thats without even thinking theyd get Richards. I don't understand why they would do this, he will be better this year without a doubt.

Old
07-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Ginu

Probably because one year of an Arnott and Eller will be ready the season after.

Old
07-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Probably because one year of an Arnott and Eller will be ready the season after.
Arnott isn't 2nd line calibre.

Old
07-03-2011, 09:53 AM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Arnott isn't 2nd line calibre.
Neither was Gomez

Old
07-03-2011, 09:57 AM
shutehinside

No body knows what potential deals are out there for the Habs to aquire a centreman, so please stop saying it doesn't make sense for Habs to play or demote Gomez. We're getting a possible snippet of a larger picture. We won't know until it happens, if it happens at all. In the mean time, relax and take a deep breath. Everything will be okay

Old
07-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
Neither was Gomez
He had one off year...look at the 7-8 years before...I'll take my chances with Gomez.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:03 AM
go_habs_go

Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Playing a whole season centering Pacioretty and Gionta, I could definately see Gomez hitting 60 pts.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:07 AM
go_habs_go

Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Are days 2 and 3 of Free Agency usually this slow?

Old
07-03-2011, 10:10 AM
MJG

Quote:
He had one off year...look at the 7-8 years before...I'll take my chances with Gomez.
I feel the same way. Just stating that Gomez didn't play like a second line center last year. I was in no way suggesting we replace him with Arnott as I fell it's a downgrade but our success this year will be closely linked to Gomez having a bounce back year.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
How does picking up garbage from other teams' help us? The only salary dump I'd take is Malone Hartnell or Clarkson.
Hartnell and Clarkson are hardly salary dumps. They bring a lot to a team.

As for the pipe dream of finding a taker for Gomez, I'll believe it when it's announced officially. I highly doubt it.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:20 AM
snoozy

Well, look at it this way...say GIO and MAXPAX can pot 25 each...so basically you would assume Gomez would be part of most of those right?? - a few on PP or assists from D-men...but lets say, he could have at least 50...so that is ok..

I mean I do not mind Gomer...I think he is good..the only 2 issues I have is the

1. his figure skating in the D zone to gather speed
2. his sneaky smurk on his face..he gets us in trouble when he does that

So if he would shoot more and crash the net a little more this year..I can say he will hit 60..I will even go on a limb here and say ..he will hit 70..

Old
07-03-2011, 10:35 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozy View Post
Well, look at it this way...say GIO and MAXPAX can pot 25 each...so basically you would assume Gomez would be part of most of those right?? - a few on PP or assists from D-men...but lets say, he could have at least 50...so that is ok..

I mean I do not mind Gomer...I think he is good..the only 2 issues I have is the

1. his figure skating in the D zone to gather speed
2. his sneaky smurk on his face..he gets us in trouble when he does that

So if he would shoot more and crash the net a little more this year..I can say he will hit 60..I will even go on a limb here and say ..he will hit 70..
If Gomez does hit 50,60 or 70 points it'll be on the backs of MaxPac and Gio and not due to his skill set. More clearly, a lot of other, cheaper centers can accomplish the same thing with those line mates. A 1st line centre need to do more than just score points such as play defense against the other teams top lines. Last year Gomez showed he wasn't capable of that and that's a bigger worry to me than scoring points.
Think back to how many times he was the main culprit to a goal against due to not back checking, blowing his coverage or just not competing for the puck. It was extremely apparent in the POs and a large reason we lost to Boston IMO. Wasn't he -4 in a game or two at a time when we needed him most? Thats unacceptable, especially from the top centre, highest paid and supposed team leader. I'm sure he can have a better next season but at this point it's about more than that IMO.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Ginu

The other thing that we have to think about that I just realized and may give truth to this burying of Gomez rumour is that, with Price and PK's contracts next year, we may not be willing to take a chance on what problems Gomez's contract may create. So this summer is the summer to get rid of that contract.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:44 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
If Gomez does hit 50,60 or 70 points it'll be on the backs of MaxPac and Gio and not due to his skill set. More clearly, a lot of other, cheaper centers can accomplish the same thing with those line mates.
Oh please! You guys are hilarious with the hate. You act as if Gomez has never hit 50, 60 or 70 points before.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:44 AM
habspinner

So this has just turned into "Gomez in play" part 3?

Old
07-03-2011, 10:46 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
If Gomez does hit 50,60 or 70 points it'll be on the backs of MaxPac and Gio and not due to his skill set. More clearly, a lot of other, cheaper centers can accomplish the same thing with those line mates. A 1st line centre need to do more than just score points such as play defense against the other teams top lines. Last year Gomez showed he wasn't capable of that and that's a bigger worry to me than scoring points.
Think back to how many times he was the main culprit to a goal against due to not back checking, blowing his coverage or just not competing for the puck. It was extremely apparent in the POs and a large reason we lost to Boston IMO. Wasn't he -4 in a game or two at a time when we needed him most? Thats unacceptable, especially from the top centre, highest paid and supposed team leader. I'm sure he can have a better next season but at this point it's about more than that IMO.
When will people stop taking Gomez's last year as a reference? It was his absolute worst in his career. He will probably never hit his 86pts season again, but he IS a 60pts center while playing opposing top line, which his career +46 proves. Add to that his 59pts in his last 61 playoff games (excluding last year, as it was a total flop from the beginning to the end.)

Throwing Gomez away for nothing in return without having a player to take his spot would be a step backward. I believe he will get traded next year, all depending of Eller and Desharnais progression.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:46 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
Oh please! You guys are hilarious with the hate. You act as if Gomez has never hit 50, 60 or 70 points before.
As I pointed out at the very beginning of my post. I don't doubt he can rebound and get those points. It's his level of compete and defensive ability that worry me more.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
So this has just turned into "Gomez in play" part 3?
Speaking of Gomez, if BG hadn't acquired him.. the Rangers probably couldn't have just signed Richards...

Old
07-03-2011, 10:48 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Jason Arnott? Come on people. He had an even worse year than Gomez. Gomez only has up to go from last season while Arnott is on a clear downward trend.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:49 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
As I pointed out at the very beginning of my post. I don't doubt he can rebound and get those points. It's his level of compete and defensive ability that worry me more.
That's been his biggest problem since he received that big contract.

Go watch a Gomez highlight video on YT and then watch how he played last year, he was not doing ANYTHING he did in NJ or his first yr in NY that made him an impactful center.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Speaking of Gomez, if BG hadn't acquired him.. the Rangers probably couldn't have just signed Richards...
More than Montréal was after Gomez and they were able to sign Richards because of the cap freed up by buying out Drury. It also appears that the Rangers still have around 10 mill of cap space.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:50 AM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
you can't keep using that argument. It was brought up when Gaborik signed with them. Are we going to say that after they sign anyone over 5m dollars. Plus I think theyve shown that they are not shy of sending players to the minors if they have to.

Old
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
The other thing that we have to think about that I just realized and may give truth to this burying of Gomez rumour is that, with Price and PK's contracts next year, we may not be willing to take a chance on what problems Gomez's contract may create. So this summer is the summer to get rid of that contract.
We should easily have enough money coming off the books next year for PK and Price regardless of what we do with Gomez.

Old
PyrettaBlaze

Not only was this supposed to be closed on Friday but it has also gone way off topic. Closed.