HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin and Diaz: Are they good enough to make up for the loss of Hamrlik

Old
07-03-2011, 09:25 AM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
This thread = 2007

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:42 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyShehan View Post
Hammer had the ability to slow down the game and show his partner what to do. I've seen him save Spacek's life a few times and he was a great teacher for younger guys. You can't just replace a guy like him with kids. Maybe management feels Gorges is ready to assume this role but he'll never have the talent that Roman has. I don't understand this at all. We'll miss him more than most people think.
Perhaps that is because Roman Hamrlik was a FIRST OVERALL draft pick in 1994 while Josh Gorges was undrafted in 2004? From a pure talent point of view, this is illuminating.

Having said that, Gorges has a very combative character and has become a good top-4 defenceman in my opinion, though not offensive at all. And of course Hamrlik is 37 now and no longer has the wheels he once had.

I do agree that Hamrlik's contribution could be harder to replace than some folks think. But it's doable within the overall D brigade.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
We have too much cap space not to lock up a D for 1-2 seasons 4 mil type deal. Maybe we'll make a deal for Ballard? I could see him being a fit here and the Canucks likely will want him gone regardless of if they have the space to keep him.

Wiz 5th for Ballard?

PG would look pretty smart if he got Ballard and Ballard played well for us.
Good God, don't touch Ballard. He's been simply atrocious this year! The Canucks would be happy to give him away and rid themselves of that contract!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:45 AM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
So glad that Hammer didn't resign. Now we can actually go a bit younger and more physical.

The goal Ovechkin scored a few years ago showed how pathetic Hammer is. All 6'4 of him. Instead of playing the body he decided to chase the puck and got burned hard by Ovie.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:22 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRetina View Post
So glad that Hammer didn't resign. Now we can actually go a bit younger and more physical.

The goal Ovechkin scored a few years ago showed how pathetic Hammer is. All 6'4 of him. Instead of playing the body he decided to chase the puck and got burned hard by Ovie.
No matter how "pathetic" Hamrlik was, he is still twice as good as Emelin and Diaz, together.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:24 AM
compile
Give me Scotch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
No matter how "pathetic" Hamrlik was, he is still twice as good as Emelin and Diaz, together.
Right...
Let's compare a 37 year 10+ year vet to 2 guys that have yet to play.

This reeks of Brisebois all over again.

Winning is not the #1 thing. They want to win THEIR way.....even if it means they're handicapping themselves.
Old
07-03-2011, 11:44 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:

Yeah, how pathetic of a D to get burned by a fringe NHLer like Ovechkin...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:46 AM
compile
Give me Scotch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Yeah, how pathetic of a D to get burned by a fringe NHLer like Ovechkin...
Really cuz according to the majority here Hamrlik is better the Gorges. Yet who was put against ovechkin in the playoffs and did not get burned once because he didn't play the puck...

Old
07-03-2011, 11:48 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Really cuz according to the majority here Hamrlik is better the Gorges. Yet who was put against ovechkin in the playoffs and did not get burned once because he didn't play the puck...
so... ?

Old
07-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
bold statement from someone who's probably never seen either player play more than a handfull of games.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:51 AM
overlords
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
lol. k. Cuz you've seen them play tons of times.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:52 AM
compile
Give me Scotch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
so... ?
So?
Point is if a less talented Gorges can play better defensively then a 10+ year vet then that's a ****in problem.

Old
07-03-2011, 11:55 AM
jwolf

I haven't seen either Dman in action, so it's hard to say what they're capable of. But if scouting reports count for anything, it's very possible that our D will be better than last season. We're in unknown territory with these 2 young men, but I like that the organization is taking a chance on some up-and-coming players. Hey, worst case scenario we have a better pick in next year's draft

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:56 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
So?
Point is if a less talented Gorges can play better defensively then a 10+ year vet then that's a ****in problem.
Yeah I know, neither can I get that a D would get burned by such players... you're example perfectly illustrate how bad defensively a D can be...

cause really, you gotta suck big time to get burned bu such a player once or twice...

Old
07-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Stan

Hamrlik was a solid Dman for us. He will be missed despite what some on this board think. I think the problem with Hammer was that he played 5mins a game too much and because of that it looked like he didn't compete at times. The minutes he played wasn't his fault.

Emelin and Diaz (only seen Emelin play 2-3 times) will have there growing pains. Only time will tell how they develop. I think if our big guys stay relatively healthy, we'll be better as a group than we were last year. The guy I expect to have a big year is Weber. At times toward the end of last year he played 20 mins a game and looked very solid.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:05 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Hamrlik was a solid Dman for us. He will be missed despite what some on this board think. I think the problem with Hammer was that he played 5mins a game too much and because of that it looked like he didn't compete at times. The minutes he played wasn't his fault.

Emelin and Diaz (only seen Emelin play 2-3 times) will have there growing pains. Only time will tell how they develop. I think if our big guys stay relatively healthy, we'll be better as a group than we were last year. The guy I expect to have a big year is Weber. At times toward the end of last year he played 20 mins a game and looked very solid.
I too am expecting more from Weber this year. His compete level in the D zone was higher toward the end of the season and, depending on who he's paired with, should bring it up a notch starting next Fall. More than Yemelin or Diaz, Weber's development will be key for the team going forward.

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:12 PM
RNiner

Lots of people here seem to be having a hard time evaluating talent. Hamrlik, Gorges, Yemelin and Diaz are all very different talents, and trying to compare them is an exercise in futility. Rather, ask what roles these players can fill, and how well can they do so.

The other thing to consider is that we lost Hamrlik to age already. He's not the Hammer we signed 4 years ago, and by the 2nd year of his new contract he'll be even slower/older. While you never know when a hockey player will start aging, Hammer has clearly already started. The continued decline is inevitable.

The only question for PG was: Do we need declining Hamrlik still, because our depth is weak, or do we have depth to replace him with? He went with the latter, and its hard to argue against. We need one of Weber, Yemelin and Diaz to become a solid #4. Since both Weber and Yemelin are already solid #6's at least, its not alot to ask, and seems very plausible. Diaz is a freeroll gamble, with decent upside. Hard not to imagine him being better then a guy like Picard was last year.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:30 PM
icerocket

Getting burned by the best goal scorer in the league = lol you suck

never change hfboards

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:40 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Getting burned by the best goal scorer in the league = lol you suck

never change hfboards
Umm that was just one instance. Pretty sure he was burned more then once by Michael Ryder in the past play offs.

Keeping all the vets a a viable option to continue to grow and compete every year just because they played more minutes or longer then try should have.

Sorry I don't see WTF is so special about him. He's 6'4 over 200lbs and I have never seen him use his weight let alone strength. Actually I've see him turtle more then I've seen him throw a hit.

With or without Hamrlik this team is not a cup contender unless by some miracle of god Gomez wakes up enlightened.

Lol to the people that are sad to see a 37 year old meh dman leave LOL.

Old
07-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
No way. Hamrlik was arguably our best defenseman all year the last 2 years. They simply don't have the necessary NHL experience to make up for Hamrlik.

It will be a learning year for them. But with hopefully a healthy Markov and Gorges, THEY should be able to replace Hammer.
Hamrlik will be a year older and has reached his high water mark. What's left? On the other hand, you're guessing about the performance levels of Emelin and Diaz, not to mention their learning curves. I know nothing about Diaz and I'd be surprised if he's NHL-ready. Emelin hasn't played a single game of North American hockey but it shouldn't take long for you to perceive that he's not only younger than Hamrlik but also bigger, faster, and more physical. How much that will offset Hamrlik's experience and dedication is anyone's guess.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
A warrior like like Hamrlik can't be replaced because of the experience factor - no substitute for that. Rookies need the leadership and experience of these guys. Fortunately we still have Gill and Spacek.

There is no denying the skill level of Yemelin and Diaz. Check out the hi-lite reels in the defencemen thread. Yemelin is a monster! Tough, great skater, and a wristy that's a laser.
Yemelin will benefit from the guidance of his compatriot Markov.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:50 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Some will say Hammer was pathetic, but those comments are just as unfounded as your thoughts on Emelin and Diaz.

In the end the Habs didn't get rid of Hammer because he can't help the team win, but because management thought they need to give these guys a chance.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:54 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

a dead skunk was enough to replace hamrlik. I know there's people saying "Oh, he stepped up big for us when markov and gGorges went down." Well guess what, he can step up to the top of mount ****ing everest, that doesn't mean he was an adequate replacement for them. he just logged alot of minutes, because the coach had to make him do so. markov is back. Gorges is back. Yemelin is young. Roman Hamrlik, you were a good d-man in your prime and in washington i'm sure you'll be able to be effective, but we are so, so much better off with out you. thanks for being a habs, and goodbye.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:58 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
a dead skunk was enough to replace hamrlik. I know there's people saying "Oh, he stepped up big for us when markov and gGorges went down." Well guess what, he can step up to the top of mount ****ing everest, that doesn't mean he was an adequate replacement for them. he just logged alot of minutes, because the coach had to make him do so. markov is back. Gorges is back. Yemelin is young. Roman Hamrlik, you were a good d-man in your prime and in washington i'm sure you'll be able to be effective, but we are so, so much better off with out you. thanks for being a habs, and goodbye.
You apparently have no idea what makes an NHL defencemen useful. He carried his share of the load and did a fine job. Anyways keep watching hockey the way it makes you happy.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:12 PM
NewHabsEra*

Hamrlik has been a warrior for us but his play started to decline seriously in the second half of the last season and had troubles to follow the pace in the playoffs.. I think we will all miss the good old Hamrlik and his exp but it comes a time where you have to take decisions for the best of your team and Gauthier didnt sign both Emelin and Diaz for fun, they are 24-25 old kids having played pro level hockey.. We will all have to wait till camp to see how ready they are to jump in.. Also if neither are very close to be NHL ready, there is also the trade option.. A guy like A.Kost could be attractive for alot of teams but I dont think this last option will happen..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote