HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Very good article by Fish

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2005, 02:54 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Very good article by Fish

http://outsidethegarden.com/training...05/default.asp

Old
09-10-2005, 03:09 PM
AXN

One veteran too many. Nylander is like Straka. They would be better if they had a tough winger who can score a little. Even better if Giroux or Jessiman fills in that spot but Nylander or Straka will probably play there.

Old
09-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Large_Farva*

Send a message via MSN to Large_Farva*
"One player who may surprise is Hugh Jessiman....Prucha is a longer shot"

I don't agree with that one bit.

Old
09-10-2005, 04:15 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Exactly AXN, I have been saying that at other boards for ever...maybe they can deal Nylander before the season?

Old
09-10-2005, 05:52 PM
BringBackNeilSmith

LOCKS...? Lundmark, Strudwick, Purinton? Nah. And if Immonen shows enough, Straka plays wing. And whatever Renney's said, Lundmark has almost no chance to play center this year in NY. Look for him on 3rd line wing.
LW: Prucha and Jessiman? I understand about rookie camp, but come on. Look at the depth chart. Can't possibly last..in NY, anyway.
MINORS: Dawes? Probably...maybe not. Rates at least a "bubble".
BUBBLE: Holt? This is a joke. Right?

Old
09-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

It seems like some people here are still in denial about where the organization expects Lundmark to play. He's been playing almost exclusively at center for the last 1 1/2 seasons and Renney has been talking about Lundmark at center for all of that time.

It makes much more sense to move a veteran like Straka over to wing (where he's played significant minutes in his career), than force a younger player--who has been playing where the organization wants him to play--into a situation where he is less comfortable.

Old
09-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackNeilSmith
LOCKS...? Lundmark, Strudwick, Purinton? Nah. And if Immonen shows enough, Straka plays wing. And whatever Renney's said, Lundmark has almost no chance to play center this year in NY. Look for him on 3rd line wing.
LW: Prucha and Jessiman? I understand about rookie camp, but come on. Look at the depth chart. Can't possibly last..in NY, anyway.
MINORS: Dawes? Probably...maybe not. Rates at least a "bubble".
BUBBLE: Holt? This is a joke. Right?
Here's my reasoning...

Lundmark: Played at center after all the trades in March of 2004 and played center last year in Hartford. That's the reason I put him amongst the centers. In terms of where he (Nylander and Straka) end up playing...it's yet to be determined. There are a few different options depending on who plays well

Strudwick: Perhaps will make the roster as a 4th line wing...though I'm expecting him to be one of the bench players on the 23 man roster. He's not going to Hartford and that's why I put him as a "lock".

Purinton: Same thing as Strudwick, though I expect him to be the 7th/8th d-man

Prucha: I think he's a longshot, but there's a spot or two amongst the forwards that he could win.

Jessiman: I knew this one would get some comments. I based this largely on Maloney's comments over the past month. He keeps implying that he could make the roster...he's playing on left wing at the moment which is why I put him there, though I think the opportunity is greater on the right...he's got a chance to beat out Balej IMO, or get the 3rd line spot.

Dawes: All the comments I've heard and read from the Rangers front office have indicated that Dawes will be heading to Hartford. They've never even indicated he could win a job in the Rangers, so I think he's a very long shot.

Holt: In all likelihood he'll be in Hartford...but seeing as there is no backup, I figured I'd err on the side of caution and put him in the mix. This is probably the one that I would change if I was to do again.

Old
09-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
was Nylander played wing before?

Old
09-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Fish

I believe Nylander has played mostly at center but I seem to recall he played some wing in Chicago...perhaps I'm mistaken.

Old
09-10-2005, 08:07 PM
eco's bones

Lundmark will make the team unless he's traded. Will he finally make an impact is the question. Purinton also makes the team at forward although he might not play much. Right now we need him for his muscle. I actually think that Prucha and Immonen will challenge for spots and that Hollweg will beat Murray out and make the team. On D I'm hoping that Rullier's a real player. The main thing with Montoya and Lundquist is they get in at least 40 games each---so you might see both of them getting a chance with the Rangers but also both in Hartford. At least that makes the most sense to me if you look at Weekes playing 50-55 games as the starter.

Old
09-10-2005, 09:02 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Isn't Prucha a natural right winger? or at least have the capability to play there?

Old
09-11-2005, 01:23 AM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
Isn't Prucha a natural right winger? or at least have the capability to play there?
Petr Prucha is a natural left winger with a RH shot.

He often appeared during his Pardubice shifts at RW because his line with Koukal and Kolar often switched during the play. It is my guess that when Renney pencilled in Prucha for RW during rookie camp, it was to help balance the depth chart on account of the pleth... ummm... abundance of left wings. But make no mistake. Prucha is LW

Some have even said that Petr can play all three forward positions. This is incorrect. Petr did occasionally take faceoffs and fill in at center of the fourth line in 2003-2004 when his linemates were injured. But he is definitely not a center.

When he played on JJ's line in the 2004 W/C, he was, of course, opposite Jagr.

Old
09-11-2005, 01:32 AM
Balej20*

It would be a tremendous dissappointment if Balej did not make this team. I do not think he has anything more to learn in the minors, if he doesnt make the team this year, maybe hes just not cut out for the NHL.

Old
09-11-2005, 08:57 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent
Petr Prucha is a natural left winger with a RH shot.

He often appeared during his Pardubice shifts at RW because his line with Koukal and Kolar often switched during the play. It is my guess that when Renney pencilled in Prucha for RW during rookie camp, it was to help balance the depth chart on account of the pleth... ummm... abundance of left wings. But make no mistake. Prucha is LW

Some have even said that Petr can play all three forward positions. This is incorrect. Petr did occasionally take faceoffs and fill in at center of the fourth line in 2003-2004 when his linemates were injured. But he is definitely not a center.

When he played on JJ's line in the 2004 W/C, he was, of course, opposite Jagr.
So you are of the opinion that Prucha would excel with a couple of skilled, big bodies creating space for him?

Old
09-11-2005, 03:08 PM
BringBackNeilSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Here's my reasoning...

Lundmark: Played at center after all the trades in March of 2004 and played center last year in Hartford. That's the reason I put him amongst the centers. In terms of where he (Nylander and Straka) end up playing...it's yet to be determined. There are a few different options depending on who plays well

Strudwick: Perhaps will make the roster as a 4th line wing...though I'm expecting him to be one of the bench players on the 23 man roster. He's not going to Hartford and that's why I put him as a "lock".

Purinton: Same thing as Strudwick, though I expect him to be the 7th/8th d-man

Prucha: I think he's a longshot, but there's a spot or two amongst the forwards that he could win.

Jessiman: I knew this one would get some comments. I based this largely on Maloney's comments over the past month. He keeps implying that he could make the roster...he's playing on left wing at the moment which is why I put him there, though I think the opportunity is greater on the right...he's got a chance to beat out Balej IMO, or get the 3rd line spot.

Dawes: All the comments I've heard and read from the Rangers front office have indicated that Dawes will be heading to Hartford. They've never even indicated he could win a job in the Rangers, so I think he's a very long shot.

Holt: In all likelihood he'll be in Hartford...but seeing as there is no backup, I figured I'd err on the side of caution and put him in the mix. This is probably the one that I would change if I was to do again.
Fair enough, Fish, and thanks for the explanation. My own feeling is:

a) Nylander and Rucchin will play at C. Lundmark will never be 4th line C. That leaves the 3rd line. Thus he will have to outplay Immonen (and Moore, while we're at it to make it at center). Never seen Immonen play, but if Jamie doesn't put it together in camp my guess is they take a flyer on a guy who might be alright there rather than a guy they have lost belief in.

b) Purinton and Strudwick. Contracts may well be eaten. Also...possibly displaying ignorance here, but why NOT HFD for these guys?? Especially with the one-year exemption re clearing waivers in order to move up and down. My thought is if enough new guys can outperform these two, they're not in NY.

c) Dawes and Jessiman. I don't believe from what I've seen and heard that Dawes is the next Randy Heath, you know? He and Jessiman seem to have enough raw talent to surprise and blow the doors off early, if anyone does, and I'd guess Dawes' pure scoring ability may make him a better fit earlier than Jessiman... the power forward types seem to be later bloomers. Hartford is the better bet, but I got to believe these guys have a real opportunity.

d) Holt. Thanks, I feel better now.

I guess we'll know soon enough, eh?

Old
09-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Fish

Just one point on Strudwick and Purinton...Strudwick has played exclusively in the NHL since 1997-98, Purinton likewise since 2000-01. Purinton has refused on more one occasion being assigned to Hartford, and no doubt would do so again.

The NHL roster is 23 players, 20 dress each night and that leaves 3 on the bench. Purinton and Strudwick are the perfect players for that. They can dress for specific games where their skills might be needed...can fill in in injuries and aren't going to be hurt by sitting.

Old
09-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Fletch

Nylander...

has played wing, but he's here to center Jagr.

Straka's the most versatile forward because he can play both center or wing.

It's a shame Lundmark has played wing the last couple seasons (as Brooklyn pointed out) because his best play as an NHL came on the left wing. I assume the Rangers brass failed to see those games. He's just not big or creative enough to play the pivot.

I was actually hoping to see a fourth line that the Rangers would actually play - which is why I'd be disappointed at Purington/Strudwick there. Moore-Ward-and someone else, call him Murray, Hollweg or some enforcer, would've provided some skill and some banging and would look nice against other fourth lines.

Closed Thread