HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cody Franson and C Matthew Lombardi for D Brett Lebda and F Robert Slaney

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Kulemon

vCash: 500
Coming from a Leafs fan... I am sooo sorry for you guys. Lebda is brutal. One of the worste players in the NHL. He's a good skater but can't play defense whatsoever. In a 10-3 win he was minus 3. I seriously hope he can play well for you guys. I seriously do.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We saved money, but we never spend it to begin with. Until the Predators go out and acquire a scorer or sign one, then they deserve to be criticized. Poile saying is happy with our moves so far is idiotic at best. He has put this franchise in a state of chaos with the RFA fiasco, and has done nothing, absolutely nothing to improve the team. Whereas before, I was hoping something would happen. Now, Poile has essentially made a move that requires us to address our offensive woes. If he doesn't, he is basically just admitting that we are a cheap, passive franchise, ready to be poached.

07-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Really sounds like the Bank of Weber armored truck pulling up, insurance against the RFA ruling, more money not to sign anyone next year, and the annual cushion to give flexibility if the right trade comes along during the season (which it rarely does). Nothing more.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:20 PM
leafsfuture

So is Lombardi going to be out for the season??

Old
07-03-2011, 12:21 PM
helicecopter

ATROCIOUS, no matter what comes next.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Go Wings

Welcome back to the Central (aka Detroit's division) Lebda

I expected better from Poile he's a good GM and shouldnt be making dumb moves like this.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

If we don't do anything to improve the team instead of just losing scorers, why would Weber, Suter, or Rinne want to sign here long-term is my question.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
So is Lombardi going to be out for the season??
Probably

Old
07-03-2011, 12:26 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
If we don't do anything to improve the team instead of just losing scorers, why would Weber, Suter, or Rinne want to sign here long-term is my question.
They wont, thats why this is so ****ing scary. We could be the next Florida Panthers for 10 years or Islanders

Old
07-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Mick11

This trade does not make sense at all..

Old
07-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
They wont, thats why this is so ****ing scary. We could be the next Florida Panthers for 10 years or Islanders
I am happy we got Franson without giving up a lot but you guys have to realize even though Franson was your best trading chip, WEBER/SUTER/RINNE are the franchise.

There is not a defenseman in this league that wouldn't want to go to Nashville which employs the best defensive game in this league right now IMO.

Not a defenseman in this league that doesn't want to play with Shea Weber. You guys have an awesome team going on and even though he should have been traded for offensive help you save some cap space.

Also, I think this trade basically means Ryan Ellis plays with the Preds next season.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:30 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I am happy we got Franson without giving up a lot but you guys have to realize even though Franson was your best trading chip, WEBER/SUTER/RINNE are the franchise.

There is not a defenseman in this league that wouldn't want to go to Nashville which employs the best defensive game in this league right now IMO.

Not a defenseman in this league that doesn't want to play with Shea Weber. You guys have an awesome team going on and even though he should have been traded for offensive help you save some cap space.

Also, I think this trade basically means Ryan Ellis plays with the Preds next season.
ok, so where is our offense coming from? No Radulov next season so....

Old
07-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Predsrule

Ppl need to calm down. We traded one of our 3rd pairing d who we can replace with a younger guy to save some money for other things. It sucks yes but I can see why it was done. And lol at ppl saything this makes us the next florda.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:32 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

On it's face, it looks like a terrible trade. I've always liked Franson, and we essentially get nothing (usable) in return...

But my thought is it frees up a little bit of space for us (along with the Dumont buyout) to secure our future with Shea Weber (and possibly Suter and Rinne at the same time) as well as shop for a decent forward to give our offense a little depth (I think the UFA market is too shallow and expensive this year to make a good, solid move).

Yes, I realize Franson was one of our big bargaining chips for offense...but might there have been a possibility that Poile had already tried to make some moves with him, yet had no luck? We'll probably never really know. Plus, Franson is kind of an tweener on our blue line...he possesses a good shot/good offense, and decent defense...but I can't say he really excels at either. Plus, he's about as slow as Andrew Brunette. In other words...he's expendable. My guess is that management figures with the growth of Blum during the playoff run, that spot will be locked up...and that one of the newer kids in the system will be able to replace Franson's offensive ability (I know he's constantly mentioned as trade bait on here -- but I think Ryan Ellis could be a very good player for us).

Just remember, some of these moves are made for the long term health of the franchise. Although I would LOVE to see our Preds win the Stanley Cup in 11-12, I really don't see that as very likely. We're inching closer (with our core, at least)...but we still need to move some parts around, and let others develop (I think there are some promising kids, like Beck, Latta, and Smith in the system, along with some already familiar faces like Geoffrion and Halischuk) and work their way into the lineup.

If you've been a Preds fan for this long, you should know the meaning of patience. It's a virtue...and last time I checked, panic wasn't.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:32 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
And lol at ppl saything this makes us the next florda.
I didnt say that, i was saying if Weber, Suter, Rinne didnt sign here thats what we would be.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Henderson19

First, another apology for the Leaf trolls...but happy to see some healthy dialog as well. I'd rather share intelligent conversation with knowledgeable hockey fans anywhere than put up with some of the 13-year-olds that populate the Leaf board. Plus, I've been to a game in Nashville. It was a great atmosphere and the guys up in that one section (was it 303? 301?) really had it going! Good stuff.

Regarding the trade, as many have posted, the Leafs can handle the cash flow with Lombardi's contract. Presumably, it's more of a burden for Nashville ownership. Since both teams would get cap relief from the LTIR, this is truly a cash flow question. Hopefully, it translates into resigning the necessary guys (Weber, etc), plus some offensive help. Franson definitely helps as a 3-5 blueliner for us, even if he might have been a bottom pairing guy for you guys.

As for Lebda, he struggled mightily in Toronto, but was a serviceable bottom pairing guy on a stronger Detroit squad in years prior. His mistakes were largely mental, imo. I imagine Lebda returns to form in a place like Nashville, where his lace color is not dissected daily on talk radio. His upside is as a second PP guy who can bring the puck up ice and plays decent positionally. The brain cramp mistakes (that didn't exist in Detroit) will likely disappear now that he's left Toronto. There is reason to expect better than he showed last year.

As for other moves, Poile is a brilliant GM. Every market has different expectations and pressures, but you're blessed with solid hockey men in Poile and Trotz. Good luck going forward.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:34 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
ok, so where is our offense coming from? No Radulov next season so....
We have 3 months until the beginning of the season...it's not like we need to get this done tomorrow. Otherwise we'll be overpaying people like Florida did.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:36 PM
TomWaits

Quote:
And knowing that Burke is probably dancing naked right now pisses me off 100000 times more
Hey keep it clean - I just puked in my month envisioning naked Burke and Nonis....

Old
07-03-2011, 12:36 PM
AZcoyotes33

Yikes...Franson is a solid Dman and i thought you guys could of got alot more in return for him. Although i feel bad for you guys this helps out my Yotes with the better of the trade heading east

Old
07-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Have no clue what Poile was thinking...

Old
07-03-2011, 12:40 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

On behalf of Leafs Fans everywhere, I apologize that Lebda is now wearing a Nashville Jersey, seriously, I'm not even joking.

Hands down the guy is the worst player in the NHL in any position.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
On it's face, it looks like a terrible trade. I've always liked Franson, and we essentially get nothing (usable) in return...

But my thought is it frees up a little bit of space for us (along with the Dumont buyout) to secure our future with Shea Weber (and possibly Suter and Rinne at the same time) as well as shop for a decent forward to give our offense a little depth (I think the UFA market is too shallow and expensive this year to make a good, solid move).

Yes, I realize Franson was one of our big bargaining chips for offense...but might there have been a possibility that Poile had already tried to make some moves with him, yet had no luck? We'll probably never really know. Plus, Franson is kind of an tweener on our blue line...he possesses a good shot/good offense, and decent defense...but I can't say he really excels at either. Plus, he's about as slow as Andrew Brunette. In other words...he's expendable. My guess is that management figures with the growth of Blum during the playoff run, that spot will be locked up...and that one of the newer kids in the system will be able to replace Franson's offensive ability (I know he's constantly mentioned as trade bait on here -- but I think Ryan Ellis could be a very good player for us).

Just remember, some of these moves are made for the long term health of the franchise. Although I would LOVE to see our Preds win the Stanley Cup in 11-12, I really don't see that as very likely. We're inching closer (with our core, at least)...but we still need to move some parts around, and let others develop (I think there are some promising kids, like Beck, Latta, and Smith in the system, along with some already familiar faces like Geoffrion and Halischuk) and work their way into the lineup.

If you've been a Preds fan for this long, you should know the meaning of patience. It's a virtue...and last time I checked, panic wasn't.
Wow somone that gets it. Just how I felt just lazy to write it out. We can't judge this till we see where the money goes. For now its the same team as the end of last year. That team worked pretty well

Old
07-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Maybe the goal was to have the NHLPA have so much pity for Nashville that they drop their investigation?

Old
07-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
We have 3 months until the beginning of the season...it's not like we need to get this done tomorrow. Otherwise we'll be overpaying people like Florida did.
Florida had to get to the cap floor. We still have to spend more than 10 million to get there. Florida went ahead and signed people that were worth signing before other desperate teams like us had a chance to.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:47 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
Wow somone that gets it. Just how I felt just lazy to write it out. We can't judge this till we see where the money goes. For now its the same team as the end of last year. That team worked pretty well
And for those with short memories, it wasn't the same exact team that started the season. We had injuries, call-ups, and a pretty big (for us) trade. The complexion of the team changed greatly from the beginning of the season to the end...and that's while we were playing hockey. With 3 months to the start of the season, we don't have a completely solid idea of what this team will look like yet. It's a process. You don't build your Stanley Cup champions on the first day of free agency.

Closed Thread