HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

LA Signs Gagne - 2 Years - $3.5M Cap Hit - $7 million Total

Old
07-03-2011, 09:49 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
I wouldn't mind LA signing Zenon Konopka. He brings top end faceoff ability and also fights. Would eliminate the need to dress the one dimensional Westgarth. With him Stoll and Richards LA would have 3 top end faceoff guys.
Agreed and then we can move Lewis to RW and Richardson to LW4. Kanopka is actually very good in the faceoff circle too and would be more useful than Westgarth

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Reading that interview, it seems like Gagne is truly excited to be in LA. On top of that, his addition will help Richards get over his depression about being traded.

Now I just want to have myself cryogenically frozen and reawakened in October, Demolition Man style.
So you will be taught knitting while you're under, ok?

Quote:
I can't see Loktionov not making the lineup. I see him starting the season on the 3rd or 4th line C position and moving Stoll or Lewis to a wing. Maybe Clifford-Stoll-Lewis as a shut down line and Parse-Loktionov-Richardson for an energy type line. Could easily place Westgarth in when the opposition dresses an enforcer, but looking around the NHL not many teams in the west are going to be doing so.
The problem I see with Loktionov is that he can't play on the 3rd or 4th line. He's top 6 or bust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Why would the Kings put Loktionov on the 4th line?

He has not played more than 40 games in Manchester....he is the Kings future #3 center. I don't see him making it until Stoll is gone as a UFA next summer, that way he can try and get a full year in the AHL under his belt. He has had two injury ridden seasons so far. Kings coaches agreed he is not as effective on the LW and he is not suited for a 4th line center role because of his size, that is better suited for Fraser and Lewis.
Exactly, I just can't see it. Play a full year in Manchester/a couple of call up games. Then take over Stoll's spot full time next year.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:46 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
So I am assuming Gagne will get his number #12 which begs the question what number will Loktionov wear? Anyone know his number in Manchester?
He had #90 in juniors. So that be my first guess.

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:54 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by iChoseTheKings View Post
He had #90 in juniors. So that be my first guess.
If Gagne wants to wear #12 and it belongs to Loktionov then Gagne gets to wear #12.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:27 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
The problem I see with Loktionov is that he can't play on the 3rd or 4th line. He's top 6 or bust.
I don't see why not.

Just because you're not big or gritty doesn't mean you can't be successful in the bottom 6. He's better defensively than Richardson, Parse or Clifford IMO.

Loktionov had 10 take aways in 19 games. That translates to 43 take aways over the course of a season. That'd be good enough for 2nd most on the Kings, only behind Kopitar.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:20 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
I'd like Konopka too for the 4th line. From all reports, he's got GREAT leadership too, which is good because we still are a young team. And then like someone else said, we can go Richardson-Konopka-Lewis on the 4th line. Really if Dean signs one veteran player for a bottom 6 role who isn't a total useless scrub, I'll be ecstatic. I still think we need one more veteran bottom 6 guy.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:22 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Konopka was rejected by Tampa when they were awful and now the Islanders... If he's not good enough for those teams he's not good enough for the Kings.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I say we trade for Paul Bissonnette.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

I think the Kings should now exit the UFA market for the summer. Very happy with the Gagne signing. Get the Doughty thing finished, and head into camp as is. This is now a contending team, at last.

The next player acquisition IMO should be when the need arises, either in September or October, or after the season starts, if any player gets injured or someone goes into the tank.

My lines:
Penner - Kopitar - Williams
Gagne - Richards - Brown
Parse - Stoll - Richardson
Clifford - Lewis - Westgarth

Mitchell - Doughty
Johnson - Scuderi
Martinez - Greene

Quick
Bernier

Extras:
Loktionov - Drewiske - Holloway/Cliche

Last edited by Willard: 07-03-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Shellz

No, Telos. What are you thinking?

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:39 PM
no name

I have wanted Gagne for 8 years. He's not very shiny anymore and is almost a sure thing to get injured but it's still exciting. 3.5 Is still a big tag for him despite what people are paying on the market. It's a big risk but something needed to be done.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
No, Telos. What are you thinking?

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:40 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I say we trade for Paul Bissonnette.
I tweeted him that he should request a trade to LA after he was tweeting about how good we were going to be.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

I just put down my lines & extras but if Voynov replaced Drewiske on the final 23-man roster, let's just say I would not be upset about that

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:51 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
I just put down my lines & extras but if Voynov replaced Drewiske on the final 23-man roster, let's just say I would not be upset about that
Wouldn't shock me if we carried 8 d.

Doughty-Mitchell
Johnson-Scuds
Greene-Voynov
Martinez-Drewiske

Old
07-03-2011, 02:11 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
So Lombardi had a Plan B this time...
What's all this plan B nonsense? Gagne was plan A. Everyone and their mother knew that Richards was headed to NY. I was impressed the Kings put their best PR foot forward to try to change his mind, but to imply that Brad Richards was Dean's plan A is silly. nothelen said the same thing and I just had to laugh. If anything, Richards was plan B (more like plan K given the likelihood).

Most people had Gagne penciled in as the top UFA option for the Kings to target given Richards had made his NYC intentions pretty clear a long time ago.

The Kings signed the best player realistically available. That is always Plan A. Dean executed and he's now a King.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:37 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

I think were done in the UFA market. Adding a bottom 6 forward doesn't seem likely since we have guys who can fill the roles now. A lot of 4th line plugs look for multi-year contracts for safety and I don't think that's is DL's plans considering the guys we currently have and the youngsters we have in the AHL.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:03 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
What's all this plan B nonsense? Gagne was plan A. Everyone and their mother knew that Richards was headed to NY. I was impressed the Kings put their best PR foot forward to try to change his mind, but to imply that Brad Richards was Dean's plan A is silly. nothelen said the same thing and I just had to laugh. If anything, Richards was plan B (more like plan K given the likelihood).

Most people had Gagne penciled in as the top UFA option for the Kings to target given Richards had made his NYC intentions pretty clear a long time ago.

The Kings signed the best player realistically available. That is always Plan A. Dean executed and he's now a King.
Most people can only understand things chronologically. Ergo Propter hoc fallacies are the curse of humanity and it's almost impossible to convince people otherwise. It's so obvious isn't it? We tried to sign Richards first, therefore he was plan A and Gagne was plan B. God forbid there be two plan A's or as you said, going after a longshot before cashing in the chip you planned to cash in after you didn't win the lottery. Gagne himself said that the Kings contacted him early on July 1st... Plan B would have been to sign Leino or Cole right off the bat...

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:04 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

I'm not following you here Tony. The fact that the Kings admitted to Gagne that they wanted to see what happened with their offer with B. Richards first clearly indicates that Gagne wasn't their optimal first choice. The probabilities of said Richards plan working out don't change the fact that it was the preferred plan. Sure, Gagne was clearly the secondary plan of action but it doesn't make him the preferred plan just because the true Plan A wasn't going to work out. If it was all just bells and whistles then the Kings wouldn't have wasted any time potentially losing Gagne just to go through the motions.

There's nothing wrong with Gagne knowing he was the secondary plan just as there's nothing wrong with Gagne admitting his first choice was to return to Tampa. The semantics of word choice don't really matter.

07-03-2011, 03:17 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I'm not following you here Tony. The fact that the Kings admitted to Gagne that they wanted to see what happened with their offer with B. Richards first clearly indicates that Gagne wasn't their optimal first choice. The probabilities of said Richards plan working out don't change the fact that it was the preferred plan. Sure, Gagne was clearly the secondary plan of action but it doesn't make him the preferred plan just because the true Plan A wasn't going to work out. If it was all just bells and whistles then the Kings wouldn't have wasted any time potentially losing Gagne just to go through the motions.

There's nothing wrong with Gagne knowing he was the secondary plan just as there's nothing wrong with Gagne admitting his first choice was to return to Tampa. The semantics of word choice don't really matter.
If only semantics weren't important. But when people apply labels like backup plan or plan B, they insinuate not that gagne wasn't the first optimal choice, but that gagne was a less than optimal choice.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:27 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
If only semantics weren't important. But when people apply labels like backup plan or plan B, they insinuate not that gagne wasn't the first optimal choice, but that gagne was a less than optimal choice.
That's not true either. I'm not going to speak for everyone that used the "Plan A vs. Plan B" description, but I did and I liked the Gagne signing. My point, like I'd assume is the case with some others, is that they were glad Dean and co. didn't go for broke and put all their eggs in the B.Richards basket. Sure, it helps B.Richards isn't a total prima donna like Kovalchuk and didn't drag it out for giggles, but lets say B.Richards came back on the 2nd and accepted our offer, would we even be talking about Gagne as a King? Would Dean have said "Hold on Brad, let me check on my potential offer to Gagne first?" Nope, and that's the gist of my point. That doesn't marginalize Gagne's potential impact or the importance of his addition to our team but lets not dismiss any and all "Plan B" conversation because it's easier that way.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Monarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Since we have two of the best shutdown centers 1-2, and no more non-defense Smyth, can we have a non-traditional 3rd line that's a secondary scoring line, like most second lines, and match lines 1a and 1b against opposing top lines?

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
Since we have two of the best shutdown centers 1-2, and no more non-defense Smyth, can we have a non-traditional 3rd line that's a secondary scoring line, like most second lines, and match lines 1a and 1b against opposing top lines?
Our third line should be a scoring line

Parse-Lotkionov-Stoll or a kid

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Parse-Stoll-Holloway would be both

Loktionov is only 21. Most would just be leaving juniors.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
That's not true either. I'm not going to speak for everyone that used the "Plan A vs. Plan B" description, but I did and I liked the Gagne signing. My point, like I'd assume is the case with some others, is that they were glad Dean and co. didn't go for broke and put all their eggs in the B.Richards basket. Sure, it helps B.Richards isn't a total prima donna like Kovalchuk and didn't drag it out for giggles, but lets say B.Richards came back on the 2nd and accepted our offer, would we even be talking about Gagne as a King? Would Dean have said "Hold on Brad, let me check on my potential offer to Gagne first?" Nope, and that's the gist of my point. That doesn't marginalize Gagne's potential impact or the importance of his addition to our team but lets not dismiss any and all "Plan B" conversation because it's easier that way.
I hope this continues and becomes as fun as the legendary "60 point range" debate from a while back.

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote