HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you think the lines will be?

Old
07-03-2011, 07:08 AM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Am I the only person that sees Couturier being given every opportunity to make this team?
Nope, you're definitely not alone. I see Schenn and Couturier both being on the team this year with Schenn being played on the wing.

Schenn-Briere-Jagr
JVR-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Couturier-Simmonds
Nodl-Betts-Talbot

I kind of like that team. I'd rather sign a Miettinen or a Langenbrunner for the third line wing with Schenn as the 3rd center, but this is what I think will end up happening, and it wouldnt be the worst thing in the world. I think Couturier is ready. He's been dominating juniors for a while now, if he can play, let him play. But it's all just speculation. I definitely see him getting his 9 games though, and then they'll reassess from there.

As for the D, I could still see it changing with a big move. There's just too much cap space to play with. I'd go insane if we could land Yandle, but I would definitely settle for a Scott Hannan.

Pronger-Carle
Meszaros-Hannan
Timonen-Coburn
Lilja

Not bad.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:47 AM
ugiswrong

I see JVR being converted to Center to alleviate the size concern, and Betts traded for a mid round draft pick.

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr
Voracek-van Riemsdyk-Briere
Nodl-Talbot-Schenn
Shelley-Couturier-Simmonds
Sestito

Timonen-Coburn
Pronger-Carle
Meszaros-Lilja
Bart

ugiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:50 AM
whskybarJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugiswrong View Post
I see JVR being converted to Center to alleviate the size concern, and Betts traded for a mid round draft pick.

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr
Nodl-Talbot-Schenn
Sestito

Timonen-Coburn
Pronger-Carle
Meszaros-Lilja
Bart
at first I dry heave...

then I say well lets see what happens

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:56 AM
King Fish

JVR-Stamkos-Briere
Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr
Simmonds-Schenn-Nodl
Sestino-Betts-Talbot

Timo-Coburn-Pronger-Mez-Lilia-Carle

To Tampa-Voracek,Bobrovsky,1st,3rd

To Philly-Stamkos

I think they could use a good young goalie right? Did they just sign Rolo? Very old though.

I can dream!

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Schenn10

JVR - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Briere - Jagr
Simmonds - Couturier - Schenn
Talbot - Betts - Sestito
Nodl

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Meszaros - Lilja
Gustafsson

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

Couturier adds 5 pounds in the offseason and wows at Prospect and Training Camp. Combination of size and defense wins him the 3rd line shutdown center position with some offensive ability when combined with Schenn and Simmonds.

Average age 1st line: 22.33
Average age 2nd line: 34
Average age 3rd line: 20.33

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Am I the only person that sees Couturier being given every opportunity to make this team?
If he is truly a #1/#2 overall talent, then he should have the ability to make the NHL right away based on the history of the draft. I am not sure if he has the ability to help a team like the Flyers for a whole season yet, though. It would be very exciting if he made it, I have to admit.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:01 PM
WeekendAtBernies

JVR-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
Free Agent-Schenn-Simmonds
Talbot-Betts-Sestito
Nodl

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Lilja
Bartulis

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

vCash: 50
JvR-Giroux-Schenn

Voracek-Briere-Jagr

Hartnell-Talbot-Simmonds

Nodl-Betts-Holmstrom

Mr Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Courtier may make the team, but it won't be to play on the 4th line. If he makes the NHL he will be a top 9 player. It would make little no sense to have him on the 4th line playing with Betts and Nodl 8 minutes per game.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

At this point, Lavi is still looking at the list of players and thinking "What? I have no damned idea."

07-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
At this point, Lavi is still looking at the list of players and thinking "What? I have no damned idea."
Probably.

I think it'd be criminal if JVR and Giroux weren't together...there's pretty much no reason for them not to be. As for everything else, nothing really makes enough sense. But one thing's for sure, I love having to wait til mid November to find out who can play with who.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:41 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugiswrong View Post

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr
Nodl-Talbot-Schenn
Sestito

Timonen-Coburn
Pronger-Carle
Meszaros-Lilja
Bart
If they were concerned about the size down the middle they wouldnt have moved Carter to wing last year and then subsequently trade him

Unless we sign somone like Arnott, pull off a big trade or Couturier makes this team as 3rd center, we are going to have to live without the size...which is fine, Boston didnt have much....what they did have that we dont is someone that can win a damn faceoff

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
If they were concerned about the size down the middle they wouldnt have moved Carter to wing last year and then subsequently trade him

Unless we sign somone like Arnott, pull off a big trade or Couturier makes this team as 3rd center, we are going to have to live without the size...which is fine, Boston didnt have much....what they did have that we dont is someone that can win a damn faceoff
The Boston comparisons need to stop. How many teams win the Cup the following year by doing what the team the year prior did? Besides, you already said it -- we don't have anyone to fill the Patrice Bergeron role. That's absolutely essential if we're not going to have size.

We may well have to live without size down the middle. But it's not fine. It's going to be a big issue lots of people around here are probably likely to ignore, because it's going to be too inconvenient to realize.

Old
07-03-2011, 03:00 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
The Boston comparisons need to stop. How many teams win the Cup the following year by doing what the team the year prior did? Besides, you already said it -- we don't have anyone to fill the Patrice Bergeron role. That's absolutely essential if we're not going to have size.

We may well have to live without size down the middle. But it's not fine. It's going to be a big issue lots of people around here are probably likely to ignore, because it's going to be too inconvenient to realize.
What size down the middle has Detroit had? Its not the size necessarily, its guys playing the right way and filling the right roles. Schenn is certainly big enough, but can he win faceoffs and shut someone down?

I am more concerned about the role than the size....but if we can get the size too, I am certainly going to be happy about that. The only one out there is Arnott.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:11 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
What size down the middle has Detroit had? Its not the size necessarily, its guys playing the right way and filling the right roles. Schenn is certainly big enough, but can he win faceoffs and shut someone down?

I am more concerned about the role than the size....but if we can get the size too, I am certainly going to be happy about that. The only one out there is Arnott.
100% agree. Size is severely overrated. Would you rather have a small center with good defensive skills or a big guy with average defensive skills? We need someone to fill the defensive role, not the size role.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:

Detroit's the closest thing to a dynasty the league's had since its last real dynasty. Everyone's aware of their ridiculous ability to get everyone playing the same system. They're not a great example either, no matter how much Holmgren thinks he's building the team in the same vision.

Edit: Besides...how many small centers with good defensive skills end up playing utterly critical roles and coming through for teams in crunch time on Cup winners?

Old
07-03-2011, 04:18 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
All I know is seeing Andreas Nodl as a third line winger is makin me ill, physically ill.

Not that I was a fan, but we traded Versteeg why? To give Andreas ****ing Nodl third line playing time??

Gonna go throw up.

We need a ******* winger!!!

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:40 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
All I know is seeing Andreas Nodl as a third line winger is makin me ill, physically ill.

Not that I was a fan, but we traded Versteeg why? To give Andreas ****ing Nodl third line playing time??

Gonna go throw up.

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.300m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m)
??? ($???) / ??? ($???) / Jakub Voracek ($2.250m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.800m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Andreas Nodl ($0.845m)
Jody Shelley ($1.100m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)
??? ($???) / ??? ($???)
/ Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,118,095; BONUSES: $3,815,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $9,181,905

Done... If we're rebuilding then I think we should try this... get two more solid D's (i.e. a second legit 2nd pair) and run with an ace defence, then some solid 2-way/hard working sorts for the 3rd line... If you drop Shelly you have more cap fun times too

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:

Gonna go throw up.

because versteeg makes 3.083M per season and Andy makes .845.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:48 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

Gonna go throw up.

Honestly, the hate that a third line winger gets for being a third line winger around here makes me physically ill.

You're all spoiled. Get over it. He's cheap, he's great in the corners and on the forecheck, he can chip in offensively, and he's at the very least defensively responsible.

Pay the older Versteeg 3.00m for an extra dangle per game, two extra giveaways per game, and maybe 20 more points a season if you really want. It's still effing stupid.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 06:12 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Honestly, the hate that a third line winger gets for being a third line winger around here makes me physically ill.

You're all spoiled. Get over it. He's cheap, he's great in the corners and on the forecheck, he can chip in offensively, and he's at the very least defensively responsible.

Pay the older Versteeg 3.00m for an extra dangle per game, two extra giveaways per game, and maybe 20 more points a season if you really want. It's still effing stupid.
Wow dude, you related to Nodl or something?

My fault, but I think he stinks. And I dont want him anywhere near the third line.

And btw, Versteeg is younger than Nodl.
Eta: I'm wrong Versteeg is a whole nine months older.

Last edited by healthyscratch: 07-03-2011 at 06:46 PM.
healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

I think Nodl ought to be fine on a 3rd line role. That's probably his ceiling.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:18 PM
FlyersFan61290

JVR-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
Talbot-Schenn-Simmonds
Holmstrom/Testwuide-Betts-Nodl
Shelley/Sestito

Kimmo-Coburn
Pronger-Carle
Meszaros-Lilja
Bart

Voracek replaces Leino on Briere's line and provides some size along with Hartnell for Briere to do his thing. JVR's good speed and size will make him a beast on the forecheck and with the puck skills of Giroux and Jagr I think they can do some damage together. Schenn will center 3rd line with Simmonds and Talbot playing wing. While I don't see much offense coming from this line Talbot and Simmonds are 2-way players that can "protect" Schenn and help him develop into a solid 2-way player himself. 4th line centered by Betts with Nodl and a phantom as wings. Personally I would like to see Testwuide as the other wing on the 4th line because he is very good in his own zone, big, strong, physical and especially good in the corners and along the boards. I expect the D-corp to be the same as last year with the exception of Lilja taking OD's spot on the 3rd pair with Mez.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:35 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
JVR-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
Talbot-Schenn-Simmonds
Holmstrom/Testwuide-Betts-Nodl
Shelley/Sestito

Kimmo-Coburn
Pronger-Carle
Meszaros-Lilja
Bart

Voracek replaces Leino on Briere's line and provides some size along with Hartnell for Briere to do his thing. JVR's good speed and size will make him a beast on the forecheck and with the puck skills of Giroux and Jagr I think they can do some damage together. Schenn will center 3rd line with Simmonds and Talbot playing wing. While I don't see much offense coming from this line Talbot and Simmonds are 2-way players that can "protect" Schenn and help him develop into a solid 2-way player himself. 4th line centered by Betts with Nodl and a phantom as wings. Personally I would like to see Testwuide as the other wing on the 4th line because he is very good in his own zone, big, strong, physical and especially good in the corners and along the boards. I expect the D-corp to be the same as last year with the exception of Lilja taking OD's spot on the 3rd pair with Mez.
This is pretty much what I'm thinking if no other moves are made. I like Sestito on the fourth line though. I think he will be a Carcillo-esque player, which as much as some people hate, I think is a good weapon to have on the team.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Snipsnap12

the defense is outstanding, the goalie is top notch, and the top nine is very decent with a little bit of everything, the 4th line has grit and defensive ability and most of them have the ability to improve since they are still developing(from last year).

Dont forget they are likely not done, my guess is a trade is in the works.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote