HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LA Signs Gagne - 2 Years - $3.5M Cap Hit - $7 million Total

Old
07-03-2011, 04:15 PM
JDM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I hope this continues and becomes as fun as the legendary "60 point range" debate from a while back.
LoL! That one was classic!!! But alas, sorry to disappoint, William makes a very good point I'd have to reach into my bull **** bag to dispute.

Now if any 'we only signed gagne because Dean sucks and failed at richards' comments come along, that's another story.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:36 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
I wouldn't mind LA signing Zenon Konopka. He brings top end faceoff ability and also fights. Would eliminate the need to dress the one dimensional Westgarth. With him Stoll and Richards LA would have 3 top end faceoff guys.
Check this out regarding Konopka's family history,
http://www.aolnews.com/2010/10/05/ho...fights-for-ev/

I agree with 'nK' that signing Konopka is worth exploring further.

Re: Westgarth - I think he can become a reasonably decent player for his role, he did ok in the playoffs.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Wouldn't shock me if we carried 8 d.

Doughty-Mitchell
Johnson-Scuds
Greene-Voynov
Martinez-Drewiske
Voynov is not going to replace Martinez. He's still behind DD2 on the depth chart. They will not carry 8 dmen.

Dave in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Would rather have Konopka than Richardson on 4th line center duty as unpopular as that sounds.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
I wouldn't mind LA signing Zenon Konopka. He brings top end faceoff ability and also fights. Would eliminate the need to dress the one dimensional Westgarth. With him Stoll and Richards LA would have 3 top end faceoff guys.
From my research and reading around MR isn't considered a top end faceoff guy. Infact, judging from philly fan commets faceoff's were something he sometimes struggled at.

So I'm curious why or from where you hear MR is a top en faceoff guy

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:59 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxo View Post
From my research and reading around MR isn't considered a top end faceoff guy. Infact, judging from philly fan commets faceoff's were something he sometimes struggled at.

He's around 50% or less but this past season he had a wrist injury from training camp. Still wouldn't expect him to be a big face off guy, though. Carter was easily our best face off guy but they stuck him on RW so he didn't have as many. Richards' strengths are in his defensive game, hits and he was good as the PP quarterback on the right point.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Chruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in LA View Post
Voynov is not going to replace Martinez. He's still behind DD2 on the depth chart. They will not carry 8 dmen.
Well that's a difficult question to address. It depends on what kind of seventh defenseman Murray is interested in keeping. If he feels that it's better to have a stay at home guy as the seven then it will be Drewiske. If he feels that it's better to have a puck mover as the seven then it's likely to be Voynov. And if he wants the best all around defenseman then I don't know who he chooses because camp will decide that.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:38 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Martinez is a lock.

He proved himself at every responsibility and every opportunity.

Can he be moved? Sure but if he is in the system he is on our 7man roster.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

I just wanted to say congratulations on landing Gagne. You guys are going to love him. His injuries can be frustrating, but he is a terrific locker room guy, a true hard-working player, and simply one of the true good guys in the NHL. What you will love the most about him, however, are the clutch goals when you need them the most. Simon has a knack for spectacular goals at exactly the right time. Here are some highlights that should get you excited about your new left winger.

Last edited by Four Boilermakers: 07-04-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:39 PM
itstheo54

Ahhh I wish they did a 24/7 / hardknocks preseason with kings and rangers starting in training camp and going over to europe throughout the opening game and their time in europe for their second games. The kings are gonna get more national recognition especially from philly. I think many people would like to see the kings arriving at. Basically their beachside toyota sports center and driving along the beach to walk into their beachfront homes. All the players in the northeast will be so jealous.

itstheo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:01 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Pretty cool how BR and JW played a big part in getting Gagne here. Nice to be a good destination to play now.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:14 PM
MxH0CKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
Pretty cool how BR and JW played a big part in getting Gagne here. Nice to be a good destination to play now.
You mean MR? We never got BR...

MxH0CKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:22 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxo View Post

Richards isn't great on face-offs, but no liability either.
He's decent, but one thing I noticed is that he usually wins the FOs in his own zone, especially at crucial times in the game, which is really all you can ask for.

I agree with MsWoof that he's awesome on the point.
In my mind, this is where he is at his best what offense concerns, he's unbelievable with the slap-passes, makes some good plays from up there and has a really good, albeit underrated shot.

I frankly don't know how good Scuderi, Green, Drewiske or Mitchell are at the points or who else plays there outside of Stoll, Doughty and Johnson, but since all of those guys (the earlier four) are rather defensive minded I could really see Doughty-Richards and Stoll-Johnson on the points, with any combination of Penner, Kopitar, Gagne, Williams, Brown and someone else down low.
Stoll could take the faceoff and then slide back to the point, when Kopitar isn't out on the ice.
Lombardi should go after another capable guy, this team would be tough tough to beat.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 04:59 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by itstheo54 View Post
Ahhh I wish they did a 24/7 / hardknocks preseason with kings and rangers starting in training camp and going over to europe throughout the opening game and their time in europe for their second games. The kings are gonna get more national recognition especially from philly. I think many people would like to see the kings arriving at. Basically their beachside toyota sports center and driving along the beach to walk into their beachfront homes. All the players in the northeast will be so jealous.
The show that was made for the Capitals-Penguins was great. The NHL needs more shows like that to open the public's eyes at what the players have to go through to survive an 82 game season.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:13 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The show that was made for the Capitals-Penguins was great. The NHL needs more shows like that to open the public's eyes at what the players have to go through to survive an 82 game season.
HBO is doing it again this year. 24/7 Rangers and Flyers.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:19 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
I frankly don't know how good Scuderi, Green, Drewiske or Mitchell are at the points or who else plays there outside of Stoll, Doughty and Johnson, but since all of those guys (the earlier four) are rather defensive minded I could really see Doughty-Richards and Stoll-Johnson on the points, with any combination of Penner, Kopitar, Gagne, Williams, Brown and someone else down low.
Martinez.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 07:10 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
HBO is doing it again this year. 24/7 Rangers and Flyers.
I'd love to see the Kings put up some production money and give their fans some inside footage. Show us Dustin Penner working out. Interview Doughty somewhere to give his feedback on his contract status. It's as though the Kings organization goes into hibernation until the very first game of the season. No pre season, no hype, just a surprise-game #1 is on tonight. I find it insulting as a long time fan.

Old
07-04-2011, 07:58 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
I'd love to see the Kings put up some production money and give their fans some inside footage. Show us Dustin Penner working out. Interview Doughty somewhere to give his feedback on his contract status. It's as though the Kings organization goes into hibernation until the very first game of the season. No pre season, no hype, just a surprise-game #1 is on tonight. I find it insulting as a long time fan.
You really find it personally insulting? They do just as much as the other LA teams during offseasons. I think the Insider blog is already a pretty good source of information throughout the year.

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:09 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Really?? KV has been putting up stuff during the summers in years(maybe it started last year) past. This year (and last) he had stuff from the draft (interviews with picks etc), also remember he had interviews with Schenn/CT at dev camp last year, and this year they had the post draft with Futa and then DE also did some stuff including post season recaps on prospects.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:49 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
You really find it personally insulting? They do just as much as the other LA teams during offseasons. I think the Insider blog is already a pretty good source of information throughout the year.
I don't read blogs. FSW shows NBA summer league. The Kings don't exist until game one. No preseason Kings games? We can't get one damn game?

Old
07-04-2011, 09:07 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
I don't read blogs. FSW shows NBA summer league. The Kings don't exist until game one. No preseason Kings games? We can't get one damn game?
I thought Kingsvision broadcast a couple of pre-season games last year. They just streamed the stadium feed and matched it to the radio broadcast.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:12 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
That's what Kings Vision is suppose to be for...

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:40 AM
lafan13

Quote:
****, wheres the beach hockey at... that used to tide me over till fall....

lafan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:15 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
A lot of people said the team needed speed, which to some extent we did, but the team was fast when it needed to be. We needed quick hands, players that could make plays. Kopitar is a scorer and is not a playmaker, neither is Brown and both Penner and Williams are too inconsistent. When your best passer is on your back-end, it means that no matter how much time they spent cycling the puck, they never got it into scoring positions. They tried to drive the net, they shot the puck, they held onto it in the corner, but they never were able to set up plays in the circles or the middle.

Richards has hugely helped this, just watch his videos, he is not a superbly gifted player as far as hands but he is quick, he sees lanes and forces the play, sometimes its annoying but its better than having no one taking that risk. Meanwhile Gagne is the type of scorer who is able to both make quick plays and score from roughly between the circle and 2-3 feet from the blue-paint.

Now we can have some players cycling the puck and forechecking down low while skilled players bring it into attack positions. Dean Lombardi has legitimately impressed me

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:18 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
A lot of people said the team needed speed, which to some extent we did, but the team was fast when it needed to be. We needed quick hands, players that could make plays. Kopitar is a scorer and is not a playmaker, neither is Brown and both Penner and Williams are too inconsistent. When your best passer is on your back-end, it means that no matter how much time they spent cycling the puck, they never got it into scoring positions. They tried to drive the net, they shot the puck, they held onto it in the corner, but they never were able to set up plays in the circles or the middle.

Richards has hugely helped this, just watch his videos, he is not a superbly gifted player as far as hands but he is quick, he sees lanes and forces the play, sometimes its annoying but its better than having no one taking that risk. Meanwhile Gagne is the type of scorer who is able to both make quick plays and score from roughly between the circle and 2-3 feet from the blue-paint.

Now we can have some players cycling the puck and forechecking down low while skilled players bring it into attack positions. Dean Lombardi has legitimately impressed me
oo yeahhh

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote