HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Brad Richards (9 Years, $6.67M Per)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
How do you move a player with a NMC? He has to agree to it. So it's ultimately not in your control. For the record, I'm not opposed to this deal...but I would have preferred he not have a NMC in place for at the very least the final 3 years...or preferably the final 4.
Chris Drury had it and now he's gone. Whats the big deal? Someone ran the numbers, the cap hit on a buyout on the last 3 years isn't huge. It's a little over what the Rangers love to pay their 4th line players.

Old
07-03-2011, 03:45 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Chris Drury had it and now he's gone. Whats the big deal? Someone ran the numbers, the cap hit on a buyout on the last 3 years isn't huge. It's a little over what the Rangers love to pay their 4th line players.
Yes, the last 3 years is manageable. The real risk is that he's a shell of his former self after year 5. He'd still have 10M on the table over those last 4 years...that's a different story when you're talking millions counting against the cap for 8 years. That said, I'm optimistic we get 3 great years and 3 good years from him...making this whole issue somewhat moot.

Old
07-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Question because for some reason I fogot..

If we buy him out with 3 years left, how much of a cap hit do we take?

1M a season?
or 2/3rds or whatever his cap hit is?

Old
07-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Who's to say Richards won't be an ageless wonder and give us 5 great years and 4 good ones? We'll cross the bridge when we come to it. It's at least 6 years from now before we should have to worry about it. Things change so rapidly in today's NHL that God only knows what the situation will be then.

Old
07-03-2011, 03:59 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post

1M a season?
Think someone posted it would be like 666k for 6 years...or something like that.

Old
07-03-2011, 03:59 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Who's to say Richards won't be an ageless wonder and give us 5 great years and 4 good ones? We'll cross the bridge when we come to it. It's at least 6 years from now before we should have to worry about it. Things change so rapidly in today's NHL that God only knows what the situation will be then.
Wait weren't you AGAINST signing Richards at first?

Old
07-03-2011, 04:04 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Darko, no movement clause for all 9 years would suggest he could not be traded or waived for the duration of the contract unless he consents to it. Rozsival situation would not be comparable under these circumstances.

Yeah true, brain fart on my part.

Has a full NMC been confirmed? Or we still waiting to hear on that?

Old
07-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Think someone posted it would be like 666k for 6 years...or something like that.
Wow, that is peanuts. I'm really loving this contract more and more.

Thank you sir.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Yeah true, brain fart on my part.

Has a full NMC been confirmed? Or we still waiting to hear on that?
I have only heard Brooks report it or did someone else pick it up by now?

Old
07-03-2011, 04:06 PM
darko

On a side note: reading Devils board at the time of the news of Richards signing was priceless.

Cap Circumvention Brah!!!!!

Old
07-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
On a side note: reading Devils board at the time of the news of Richards signing was priceless.

On the trade board they were going crazy

Old
07-03-2011, 04:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

If only we could've given Richards the completely legal and fair deal that was the first Kovalchuk contract. ****ing Slats.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:12 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I have only heard Brooks report it or did someone else pick it up by now?
Here's the exact tweet from Brooks:

Quote:
Source: Richards' contract includes no-move clause for duration.
And from renhockey (Renaud Levoie, RDS reporter):

Quote:
#rangers Brad Richards a une clause de non mouvement. No move clause for Richards.
Those are the only two I'm aware of.

They are hardly precise in their language and by no means official. Still, given the competitive nature of the bidding and the quotes above, I would be surprised if he doesn't have some form of NMC or NTC for the majority, if not all of the term. And, honestly, a full NMC for all 9 years wouldn't shock me.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:13 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post

1M a season?
The buyout cap hit would be based on the 6.67m cap hit. The actual $$ he'd be paid in a buyout isn't the same as the cap hit

Old
07-03-2011, 04:21 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:

To be completely and brutally honest...this is pretty much the definition of circumvention.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
07-03-2011, 04:22 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
To be completely and brutally honest...this is pretty much the definition of circumvention.
I agree.

But the league set a crappy precedent with the Kovalsuck contract and we're just following it. They can cry all they want.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:22 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
According to the rules set in place by the NHL last year it is clearly not. They defined it, we're just following it.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:23 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
I also agree, but like the others said, the precedent has been set. This is probably going to be one of the biggest points of contention when the current CBA runs out.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:26 PM
darko

Quote:

Completely agree. Contracts handed out these days are an absolute joke (including Richards 1). What's funny is Devils fans *****ing about it.

This whole front loading and tacking on extra years at the end will hopefully be taken care of in next CBA. It's downright embarrasing.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:33 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Actually, not. The approval of the second Kovalchuk contract set a precedent and this contract (as well as the Erhoff contract a number of others) all meet the guidelines clearly laid out by that precedent.

I agree that these structures are ridiculous and should be addressed in the next CBA, but they are within the legal boundaries set by the current agreement.

Or as TGfireandice (Tom Gulitti who covers the Devils for the Bergen Record) tweeted:

Quote:
A year ago, the NHL used the lack of specific language on long-term contracts to say the Devils/Kovalchuk violated the spirit of he CBA.

In putting in the Kovalchuk amendment, the NHL actually lost power in that area. It can say nothing about deals like Richards', Erhoff.

The NHL gave the agents/players/teams exact guidelines and they're being used quite effectively to keep down cap hits on long-term deals.

Remember when it was being portrayed as if the NHL was forcefully taking power away from the NHLPA?

The Devils did get the 2nd Kovalchuk contract approved out of it, which was a positive because otherwise he might not be a Devil right now.

But, overall, the NHL and the Devils both came out as losers from what transpired last summer in the Kovalchuk saga.

The Devils were harshly penalized. The league lost power. Kovalchuk and the NHLPA membership came out as winners.

The NHLPA almost hurt the Devils as much as the NHL did. It lost an arbitration case it probably should not have...

And it sold the Devils down the river by agreeing to let the NHL penalize them and giving up the right to appeal that.

The NHLPA protected its membership by getting NHL to agree to not to take away cap space from Devils. But Devils still lost picks, $ 3mil.

That said, the NHL will certainly try to fix this again in the next CBA negotiations, coming soon.

Old
07-03-2011, 05:01 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

If they gave him a 9-year contract with a full NMC, then I am in no way on board with this signing at all. The Rangers have been doing everything right as an organization since the lockout, sans signing UFA's to ridiculous contracts.

I'm going to be extremely skeptical throughout this season and deservedly so. In no way am I going to think by simply adding Richards that the Rangers will be a 100-plus point top seed in the conference. In fact, I think we were heading in that direction without Richards. In my mind, simple "effort" wont cut it anymore. I want to see 30 goals and 90 points.

Richards has never played in a big media market. He's never lived in a city like New York. The only time he's ever been the focal point of the media is when he's been traded or rumored to be traded. He's already proven to one team that he couldnt live up to the first big contract he signed, and when the team was losing they opted to trade him away rather than MSL or Vinny despite offers being made on all three of them.

I kinda liked how the young guys carried the team last year while Gaborik decided not to show up at all.

I certainly will welcome the guy with open arms because he now plays for my team, but my God, if he becomes another Drury/Redden/Holik/Gomez/Kamensky/Fluery/Kasparaitis/Quintal etc, then the NHL should ban any Ranger GM from signing anybody not homegrown to any long-term deal.

Curiously wondering what these boards will sound/look like come April 1, 2012.

Old
07-03-2011, 05:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
If they gave him a 9-year contract with a full NMC, then I am in no way on board with this signing at all. The Rangers have been doing everything right as an organization since the lockout, sans signing UFA's to ridiculous contracts.
I like the player for sure, do not like the contract if those details are correct.

Old
07-03-2011, 06:04 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Will there be an actual press conference?

Old
07-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Will there be an actual press conference?
I do not think so

Old
07-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Blueshirt Special

I'm a little surprised at all the anxiety over the last 3-5 years of this contract.

Who cares?

If we haven't made it to the SC Finals over th next 5 years we are going to be in complete re-build mode. The last years of this contract are the least of our worries.

It's the first 5 years that matter!

It is time to go for it, and I'm glad we signed him. Slats did what he had to do to get the guy with most potential (available) for positive impact on this squad in it's current state.

Why all the hand wringing over the year 2017?

Closed Thread