HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Jaromir Jagr - 1 year $3.3M

Old
07-02-2011, 10:30 PM
mm6492

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I just wonder how he's going to be able to handle an 82 game season plus playoffs if he's used to playing so much less in the KHL. We saw how well O'Donnell handled it and he didn't play big minutes. Briere also tailed off after the all star game so it will be interesting to see how he handles the long grind of the season. Being an old forward is not like being an old dman like Pronger who doesn't skate hard.

And when I say old, I mean that in hockey years because someone in their late 30s is NOT old!
Neither does Jagr

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
The player has to be capable of taking advantage of the space that a Crosby/Malkin can provide. Kunitz was on pace for 30 this year lighting it up with Sid, Sykora played some of his best hockey with Malkin in 07-08. Guerin was past his day and Dupuis is a 3rd liner.

If you really don't think Sid/Malkin make players around them better then I guess it's best for you to go back to Jagr youtube videos.
Like a pens fan would know what a 30 goal winger looks like, the last one you had was Kovy like 10 years ago. Paces don't count, goals count. And funny how Hossa's pace with Crosby was lower than his career average was at the time. It takes time too build great chemistry with talented players before they can find another level of production together. The Pens wont keep Neal on a line long enough with anybody to build it. Kunitz will go back to watching Crosby do all the work with the puck and he will get his usual 20.

As for the Flyers fans, I apologize for even being here but I can't help take an interest because I am a huge Jagr fan and this whole story is fascinating to me.

Here's all you need to know about Jagr. HE WILL BE THERE FOR THE PLAYOFFS. Stop fretting about his regular season production, it doesn't really matter if he gets 60 or 80. Jagr will do what he did in 2006 with the Rags, coast through the season and then dominate in the playoffs. He owned Letang in every 1 on 1 situation in that series and he's one of the few players who can stand in there with Giants of the East (Chara, Myers, etc..).

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:54 PM
JiggleTheHandle

My opinion of this signing will depend on Jagr's haircut when he shows up at camp

JiggleTheHandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 06:06 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

[IMG]http:/http://skodwarde.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/stretch_clown.jpg[/IMG]

Old
07-03-2011, 07:38 AM
The Saw Is the Law

PHILADELPHIA MULLET FEVER

Please make it happen!

This guy appreciates

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:52 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I remember last season when everyone was saying, "Oh, Zherdev is a lock to score 60 points." Take that into account before you proclaim that Jagr will be a PPG player. If he is, then I will gladly eat crow, I just think that some of you are setting yourselves up for major disappointment.
Zherdev shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Jagr.

Jagr has more talent in one pinky than Zherdev has in his whole body and mind.

It's not about eating crow for anyone, in the end if Jagr scores at a PPG pace, all Jagr fans and Flyers fans will benefit from it. The only people who will eat crow are the naysayers and the Penguins fans.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
PHILADELPHIA MULLET FEVER

Please make it happen!

This guy appreciates

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:07 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I like the Jagr move. 3.3 million for a guy who is still a world class caliber hockey player is not bad at all. I doubt Jagr gets put on the JVR-Giroux line though. I think he's on the Hartnell-Briere line. However, his presence and influence on a young guy like Voracek can't be under estimated. Considering that Jagr was Voracek's favourite player growing up, I can't help but think this move was also made to help Jake get to the next level.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:21 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

One thing I think he will be knocked for is when teams get physical on him and he possibly dawgs it on the ice. He never took too well to getting hit just ask Bundy who was like Larry Robinson whenever he played against Jagr!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Doyle

Transcript of Conference Call with New Flyer, Jaromir Jagr
http://nhlhotstove.com/transcript-of...-jaromir-jagr/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:49 AM
NHLsnipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
One thing I think he will be knocked for is when teams get physical on him and he possibly dawgs it on the ice. He never took too well to getting hit just ask Bundy who was like Larry Robinson whenever he played against Jagr!
He used to be like this. When he was young, yes, he would pout and cry after being hit, but not anymore.

He had his life destroyed in the Olympics by Ovechkin and got right back out there and skated hard!

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:52 AM
NHLsnipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
What is happening in this thread?! lol

You have to read between the lines. The 1st pens fan poster (assuming you're the 2nd) suggested that they didn't want to pay Jagr a measly 1.3 million more because they have next years contracts to worry about. I said that's irrelevant because jagr's deal is just a 1 year deal. And for that a Flyer fan attacked me, kind of. lol

ALSO. The 1st pens fan poster said that they didn't want to spend to the ceiling because they might make a deadline deal for a winger and they wanted the cap space. TO that I replied that they would be looking for a winger JUST LIKE Jagr, which again rendered his defense of Shero irrelevant.

So you see I never meant to imply that they would trade for Jagr, but they would be looking for someone talented like that.

Not signing Jagr was a fail for Pittsburgh, but they will still have a great team, no doubt about that. Neal, Sullivan, Kunitz, Kenndy, and Dupuis are not 30 goal guys but they can all chip in around 20 each. So it's not the end of the world, all 3 of our teams figure to be in the playoffs for sure.
It was not a fail for Pittsburgh. They wanted to bring him back for nostalgic reasons. He would not have worked well in their system at all. He is a lefty who lives on the right side of the rink....as do Crosby and Malkin.

He would have been left to run the second PP with Staal and maybe racked up 40-50 points.

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:00 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Man, I respect him a lot more. Good read, thanks.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:07 PM
poneill27

I love Jagr for a year than Leino for his $/yrs. His output will be better too. Big win for us!!

poneill27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLsnipers View Post
It was not a fail for Pittsburgh. They wanted to bring him back for nostalgic reasons. He would not have worked well in their system at all. He is a lefty who lives on the right side of the rink....as do Crosby and Malkin.

He would have been left to run the second PP with Staal and maybe racked up 40-50 points.
Sounds useful enough.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:20 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Man, I respect him a lot more. Good read, thanks.
Wow, yeah, that was a good read. Fascinating to see him explain how he looks forward to working with Briere/Giroux on the PP as right-handed centers rather than left-handed guys in Pitt or Detroit.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:05 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Wow, yeah, that was a good read. Fascinating to see him explain how he looks forward to working with Briere/Giroux on the PP as right-handed centers rather than left-handed guys in Pitt or Detroit.
Yeah, its really interesting considering his best years were with Ron Francis who was a lefty.....

Its just a ******** reason for coming here.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
He's a good dude, I've always thought highly of Jagr and I resent the generation sid fans who boo him and I'll never forgive the Pittsburgh media for the way they belittled his effort and twisted his words.

I'll be rooting for Jagr, so in a small way...I'll be rooting for the..Flyers, except when they play the Sabres. I wont be rooting for Philly to beat the Pens either, because they are still one of my favorite teams, but I do want to see Jagr rack up the points against them!

Also off topic and I apologize for that, but Holgrim is a GREAT GM. He really gets things done, and he is not afraid to make changes. They are also great at drafting and developing NHL talent, which is the main thing that attracted me to the Sabres organization years ago. Good luck and go Jags (and Mad Max)!

Old
07-04-2011, 07:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
As far as Jagr turning down more money to play for the Flyers, the real question is "how much did the Islanders offer him?"

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 07:27 PM
mirimon

This is such a weird off season...

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 07:47 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
As far as Jagr turning down more money to play for the Flyers, the real question is "how much did the Islanders offer him?"
I figured it was South Beach....the Panthers weren't shy about throwing money around. The Isles?? He does seem to enjoy the Atlantic division.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:01 PM
tmljeh19

Q: How do you compare to yourself to when you last played in the NHL?

“I don’t know. You’d have to ask somebody else who saw me years ago and then saw me last month. I don’t know. We’ll have to wait and see.”

Wonderful answer.

tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
I figured it was South Beach....the Panthers weren't shy about throwing money around. The Isles?? He does seem to enjoy the Atlantic division.
Islanders...Panthers...same difference. Both needed Jagr more than he needed them, unlike the Flyers.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
Q: How do you compare to yourself to when you last played in the NHL?

“I don’t know. You’d have to ask somebody else who saw me years ago and then saw me last month. I don’t know. We’ll have to wait and see.”

Wonderful answer.
Well it's not a ******** answer. I, for one, appreciate not being bull ****ted.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:37 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLsnipers View Post

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote