HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Andrew Alberts signs 2-Year, $2.45m deal ($1.225/year cap hit)

Old
06-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Andrew Alberts knows his role on the Canucks and never wanted to test free agency to go to another team where he might have bigger role.
“I didn't even think about July 1,” Alberts said Wednesday after his deal was announced. “I've been here for a year and a half and it's been, by far, the best team I've been on, the best organization, the best coaches I've had thus far, teammates and everything. I always wanted to come back to Vancouver.”
“I'm glad the Canucks wanted to get a deal done and I'm glad it worked out the way it did,” said the Minnesota native, who turns 30 Thursday. (Happy birthday, Andrew!) “I'm excited to be back. As for playing time, that's up to the coaches and the GM and what-not. I just want to work as hard as I can and get as much ice time as I can.”
And according to Assistant GM Laurence Gilman who echoes what GMMG has said in the past:
“Andrew is big and he's strong, he has a long reach and he can kill penalties,” Gilman said. “When you look historically at the injuries on the blue line that are sustained by this club year after year after year, we just really felt you can't have enough guys who can play in the National Hockey League — and Andrew fits that bill.”
http://www.vancouversun.com/business...#ixzz1Qm0q5qKj

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:32 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9 View Post
Man people are crazy with the Parent love. Guess that's a HFboards thing.. He was a high draft pick with potential so he must be good? He's shown nothing in the NHL and there's no reason for people to be projecting him onto our roster.
Can you blame us? He's the closest thing the team has had to a legit first round defenseman prospect since Bourdon and I guess Bryan Allen before him. I like to just try and forget his 3 years of professional futility and remember that he was top notch shutdown prospect once upon a time

PRNuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:15 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Can you blame us? He's the closest thing the team has had to a legit first round defenseman prospect since Bourdon and I guess Bryan Allen before him. I like to just try and forget his 3 years of professional futility and remember that he was top notch shutdown prospect once upon a time
I'm not saying he won't be an NHL defenseman, I just don't think he's likely to be NHL d-man this season on a top team. The guy was essentially a salary dump to us.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:19 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
I'm not saying he won't be an NHL defenseman, I just don't think he's likely to be NHL d-man this season on a top team. The guy was essentially a salary dump to us.
Yeah I'm definitely not penciling him in. Especially after the Alberts extension, but I can dream :S He could "pull and Alberts" and be so good in preseason that he makes Rome expendable. Jk we're going to be stuck with Rome forever.

PRNuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Tarot Sport*

Quote:
That salary dump had the — albeit indirect — value of a third round pick earlier that off-season.

Still have never seen anything that great from him though.

Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Vajakki

Montador signed with Chicago, 4 years/$2.75M per. That's a lot of money for a depth d-man who will have his braincramps.

Have to say I prefer Alberts at 1.225M.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Proto

They vastly overpaid for Montador. Bowman is not a very good GM, but they sure drafted well in Chicago.

Given the money that Montador and Laich have signed for, I can't imagine Gillis doing anything tomorrow.

Proto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
They vastly overpaid for Montador. Bowman is not a very good GM, but they sure drafted well in Chicago.

Given the money that Montador and Laich have signed for, I can't imagine Gillis doing anything tomorrow.
I see him offering Gagne a competitive offer short term.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post

Cap has gone up, we have money to spend.

Many of us (myself included) thought he overpaid for Malhotra last year, and now that contract looks like fair value.

I think he'll try to address a few needs, and the players targeted may surprise a few.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:20 PM
CloutierForVezina

With Montador getting 2.75 and Ericsson getting 3.25 I am feeling increasingly pleased with this signing. Fair value for a superb depth defenseman who can play physical and clear the net. He'll never be a top-4 guy but you can't ask for a much better 6th/7th guy.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Placebo Effect

Wings fans are raging this offseason. Wiz just needs to sign with the Jackets and the Wings will have lost out on the three big UFA D-men they wanted and way overpaid the one they retained. Not to mention also not getting Burns.

Although it's sounding like Wiz wants to see what's out there on the FA market.

Last edited by Placebo Effect: 06-30-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
Wings fans are raging this offseason. Wiz just needs to sign with the Jackets and the Wings will have lost out on the three big UFA D-men they wanted and way overpaid the one they retained. Not to mention also not getting Burns.
They'll probably bring in Kaberle and be fine. He'll work out in their system.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:19 AM
Type Not Specified
Part of the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Remember when we drafted Brad Ference 10th overall? Good times.

Really though, if Tanev hadn't appeared out of nowhere our D prospect pool would be scary bad right now.

I'm happy to have Alberts back. He's a good guy, knows his role and is pretty effective as a #6. 1.1 million is good value and won't hurt us if he ends up as our #7.

Type Not Specified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 05:47 PM
NHLFreak

I must have missed it but why did AA only play 42 games/9 playoff games this season. Did he not dress for alot?

NHLFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 05:50 PM
NHLFreak

I must have missed it but why did AA only play 42 games/9 playoff games this season. Did he not dress for alot?

Last edited by NHLFreak: 07-03-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old
07-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFreak View Post
He was injured for about 30 games in the second half, and there was a time earlier in the season when him and Rome were rotating in and out of the lineup every second game or so.

Nazzy-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 05:57 PM
NHLFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy-19 View Post
He was injured for about 30 games in the second half, and there was a time earlier in the season when him and Rome were rotating in and out of the lineup every second game or so.
Will he be a regular this season?

How many games do u see him playing?

Old
07-03-2011, 10:11 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFreak View Post
Will he be a regular this season?

How many games do u see him playing?
Hopefully he'll be playing ahead of Rome. Honestly think he's better, and I could see him playing upwards of 65, if he stays healthy.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:17 PM
EskemoJoe

It all depends on the performances of Ballard and Tanev.

EskemoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote