HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Don Cherry

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by psod
I don't mind Cherry as long as his commentary refers to what happens on the ice. He knows hockey, and he knows it well.

However, the momment he starts blabbering about what's going on in current events around the world I feel like tossing my beer bottle at the tv screen.

If he would just stick to hockey I'd have no problem with him at all.

Well put.

Old
09-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by H N I C
You mean Carolina, for their i thought you were talking about my buddy Dany Heatley.
My bad. You are of course correct. I must get back into the habit of actually reading my posts before submitting them.

Old
09-09-2005, 07:56 PM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
Great Canadian redneck post.
Typical liberal rebutal.

Old
09-09-2005, 07:57 PM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
Well put.
btw 'ban bertuzzi forever' says all i'd need to know from you.

Old
09-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Leaf Army

I love Don Cherry and I honestly cannot even understand how some people do not. He knows his hockey and is by far the most entertaining sports analyst on TV period. Quite possibly of all time.

He's very pro Canadian and I don't have any problem with that. And while sometimes I wonder if anyone's told him the Cold War is over, he's getting better at not knocking Russian players. In fact contrary to what many people pretend, he often admits to liking certain European players. Radek Dvorak is one of his favourites for example. How many people knew that?

Plus another misconception about Cherry is that he dislikes European players. That is not true. Traditionally his real beef has been with Russian players specifically- not European players. I wish he wasn't like that but like I said, he's very slowly getting better.

Another misconception about Cherry is that he isn't intelligent. In fact he's fairly well read and really plays up the average guy image on TV. He's smart that way. In an interview, he also admitted that he sometimes mispronounces players names on purpose because an early executive at CBC insisted that he do it because it was part of his charm.

Another thing to remember about Cherry is that he's extremely emotional on air and sometimes what he says comes out a little strange. Sometimes you have to have the common sense to be able to read between the lines and figure out what he really meant.

Although I firmly agree that he should stick to hockey and not flap his lips about current events. That's when he really does make himself look stupid.

Old
09-09-2005, 08:55 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Chatkozky

Take it to the bank.
either

Jer-Haw-Skee (ala Ponikahovski)

or

Jerk-Off-Skee

Old
09-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
If Cherry were from Texas and ranted on and on about how great the nation of Texas is and how silly those Canuck sports players are I wonder how people would treat his racist drivel.

Old
09-09-2005, 09:02 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
<---- Loves the Don Cherry

Old
09-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Lightsol

Listening to Don Cherry is much more interesting than listening to Strachan, Simmons and the rest of those idiots act like they know exactly what JFJ is going to do and decide they have the right to bash the Leafs because of it, which combined with crap "inside source" trade rumors, is about all that occurs in the "Satellite Hotstove".

Old
09-10-2005, 12:08 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez
Jerk-Off-Skee
Brilliant, an excellent nick for MC when I start to hate him.

Possibly as great as Jerk-off Lumme back when Jyrki was setting up Senator's players for shots on Cujo.

Old
09-10-2005, 10:21 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCJr
People who claim cherry is a racist i guarentee are the same type of people who think prez bush went into iraq for oil....

cherry is a canadian icon and says what 70% of the folks watching are thinkin anyhow...the other 30% are watchin cause there curious.
What Don Cherry has forgotten is that his ancestry is European.

The only thing I like about Donald is when he gets on his safety bandwagon for children ...that is actually productive.

Old
09-10-2005, 10:22 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsol
Listening to Don Cherry is much more interesting than listening to Strachan, Simmons and the rest of those idiots act like they know exactly what JFJ is going to do and decide they have the right to bash the Leafs because of it, which combined with crap "inside source" trade rumors, is about all that occurs in the "Satellite Hotstove".
Don Mclean is the only person on HNIC who's worth listening to ...except his jokes suck

Old
09-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Yes Im Peter Ing

Send a message via MSN to Yes Im Peter Ing
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte
What Don Cherry has forgotten is that his ancestry is European.

The only thing I like about Donald is when he gets on his safety bandwagon for children ...that is actually productive.
Grapes is British and he doesn't consider that European. In fact, many Brits don't.

Old
09-11-2005, 10:46 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes Im Peter Ing
Grapes is British and he doesn't consider that European. In fact, many Brits don't.
...and the rest of Europe wishes that were the truth, but unfortunatly it is not. ...Britain is part of Europe.

Old
09-11-2005, 11:04 AM
SkuMM

Quote:
don't really care what he says, he's a racist biggot and a huge hypocrite to boot.
you sir, are an a$$hole.

you are a hypocrite for branding someone. It's a free country. deal with it muffin. Go Cherry!

Old
09-11-2005, 11:49 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkuMM
you sir, are an a$$hole.

you are a hypocrite for branding someone. It's a free country. deal with it muffin. Go Cherry!
You show as much class as Cherry does when he bashes Europeans.

/edit
"a hypocrite for branding someone. " ...if I were to call the 'KKK' a racist organization would I be a hypocrite?

Stay in school, otherwise you'll not only look the fool, you'll continue to prove it for the rest of your life.

Last edited by mydnyte: 09-11-2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old
09-11-2005, 03:18 PM
SkuMM

Quote:
You show as much class as Cherry does when he bashes Europeans.

/edit
"a hypocrite for branding someone. " ...if I were to call the 'KKK' a racist organization would I be a hypocrite?

Stay in school, otherwise you'll not only look the fool, you'll continue to prove it for the rest of your life.
thats pretty rich. I happen to think pretty mucht he same way he does. I take it his style grates against your politically correct stance. I bahs just about everyone, as an equal opportunity hater. 15 years in ottawa does that to a person. I support Cherry and the Leafs. I know exactly where I stand. Your little rant makes you like just as much a fool, because you flamed me right back. I know i'm gonna get more points from rand, but oh well. If i wanted a come-back from yopu, i would have scraped the roof of your mouth.

Old
09-11-2005, 07:25 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Don Mclean is the only person on HNIC who's worth listening to ...except his jokes suck
Don McLean actually wrote American Pie. Ron McLean just a poor interviewer who makes good money drooling beside Cherry.

You ever see Don Cherry in a forum where other opinions can be put forward ? Rebuttals ? No,of course not. Either he's a coward and doesn't want his shallowness to be exposed or he's well aware that his act is just that, an act that appeals to the lowest common denominator. Probably a bit of both are correct. Cherry does know his hockey, he does support Canada and Canadian hockey. To allow him to have a forum for non hockey views is somewhere south of stupid.

70% of Canadians agree with Cherry ? Geez, I would've thought 70% could pronounce Patrick Roy. Guess I thought we were smarter.

Old
09-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

The only good thing is that, like the mouldering Bob Cole, the demands of age will soon force Cherry to retire from his ignorant bellowing each Saturday.

Old
09-12-2005, 08:00 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Don McLean actually wrote American Pie. Ron McLean just a poor interviewer who makes good money drooling beside Cherry.

You ever see Don Cherry in a forum where other opinions can be put forward ? Rebuttals ? No,of course not. Either he's a coward and doesn't want his shallowness to be exposed or he's well aware that his act is just that, an act that appeals to the lowest common denominator. Probably a bit of both are correct. Cherry does know his hockey, he does support Canada and Canadian hockey. To allow him to have a forum for non hockey views is somewhere south of stupid.

70% of Canadians agree with Cherry ? Geez, I would've thought 70% could pronounce Patrick Roy. Guess I thought we were smarter.
thanks for the correction.

Old
09-12-2005, 08:06 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

When Don Cherry talks about hockey, he's actually interesting and worth-while listening to.

When Don Cherry talks about hockey players, it all ends up being some love fest for some good Canadian kid from Simcoe, Ontario or Flin Flon, Manitoba or Lethbridge or whatever. If the guy plays for the Leafs, all the more reason to have a serious love-on for him.

The issue with his unprofessional relationship with some of the players, is that it makes him look like a hypocrite, one week attacking some European for some activity on the ice and the next week, defending one of his boys for basically the same act. However, he's hardly a professional journalist, so maybe it doesn't apply.

Anyway, a booster like him is better off on Leafs TV than on a tax-payer funded, national network.

Closed Thread