HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niclas Bergfors - Cleared - Now on unconditional waivers for purpose of release

Old
07-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Very excited. Sergei Kostitsyn 2.0. The kid still has some room to improve.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Legionnaire11

If we're going for a new logo/sweater this summer. Might as well have gone with the Nashville Norsemen at this point

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:43 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Good depth move...plus gives us a little insurance if we don't sign one of the RFAs.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:52 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
some of us devs fans dont see eye to eye on him, but some wanted him back and others are glad he was traded. i always liked the kid, and felt he didnt really get a fair shake with jersey. lemaire rode him pretty hard and hed have 3 points in a game, and the next game get 2 minutes. it was up and down and it seemed like he never knew where he stood. he didnt really take the tough love well enough it seems. at least for lemaire. i dunno what the deal was in atlanta or florida but im surprised florida didnt tender an offer. still, like others have said, hes a low risk, high reward signing. and i dunno how many times you guys play the pens, but you can pretty much put a W on the calender that day. i hope he does well in nashville.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 05:31 PM
thomas magnum

Atlanta fan chiming in on Bergfors:

This is a great signing. Like many have said, low risk and high reward. If he gets his game together he could be a 20plus goal scorer. I thought that the Thrashers made a mistake trading him for Dvorak last year. Being that he is so young and has offensive upside and the Thrashers were having trouble scoring goals when they traded him at the deadline last year.

Positives: decent passer, lots of offensive skill, can put the puck in the back of the net, usually a shoot first kinda guy

Negatives: Not physical, takes games off and tends to disappear and is barely noticeable at times, seems to lack motivation or drive to improve his all around game, needs to work on defensive game

I think the Preds could be exactly the kind of team that Bergfors needs to turn his game around. They need offensive talent and he has it. He needs someone to motivate him and help him improve his play on defense. This could also be a huge bust but with so little invested in it, there isn't much worry. Thinking about this from Bergfors' perspective, this might be his last shot at making it in the NHL. If he puts up a lot of points he could more than double his salary for next season.

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 05:49 PM
predwings

I'm optimistic on this one. I like the guy, he's got the potential, just needs a place that fits for him. Not a large risk investment. If he scores 20+ he will be well worth much more than the investment. If he squanders his opportunity and does poorly, then we can always scratch or package him at trade deadline.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

I wanted him on the Pens. Congrats Nashville.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Morris201

I think this is a great signing for you guys...low-risk/high-reward.

Watched him play for the Devils (even though I'm a Ranger fan) because I live in Jersey, at one point I guess 4 years ago, he was their number one prospect and looked to be very promising. He's very exciting to watch but, I've seen a little Zherdev in him. Hopefully it works out for you and him.

Morris201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:20 PM
calahanzoer

I dont now why no other team took a shot on him. I think that the predators can be a perfect place to show that you belong in the NHL.

calahanzoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

people overkill his d-game. it's really not that bad, more average. offensively he'll put up his numbers but he goes for long stretches of being incredibly invisible. he has little hockey sense when he doesn't have the puck.

his main problem is his lack of mental toughness. he get's down on himself way too easily and his play suffers because of it. he needs a coach that will hold his hand and take care of him which doesn't seem like what he'll get here.

if it works, he pots 30 goals. if it doesn't, he get's waived and goes back to sweden. no big deal.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:57 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Pure sniper, no defensive game. Basically a skilled Patric Hornqvist with less hockey sense.
so maybe he plays on a line with Legwand, who is defensively responsible and thinks pass first?

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:19 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
so maybe he plays on a line with Legwand, who is defensively responsible and thinks pass first?
My guess is we see a line of Bergfors O'Reilly SK. A playmaking center, a sniper, and a guy who can shoot or pass effectively.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:22 AM
KillerKampfer*

I like him. Don't understand why he is so unwanted by other teams.

I guess the book on him is such that there is no place for him if he doesn't crack the top 6.

Good enough fit.

But this is nowhere near a good enough move to make up for dumping Franson and Lombardi for Lebda.

Maybe the Preds can get my buddy Robbie Schrempf in and him and Bergfors can go head to head for a spot on a scoring line and PP time and send the other one down or bench them???

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
My guess is we see a line of Bergfors O'Reilly SK. A playmaking center, a sniper, and a guy who can shoot or pass effectively.
I actually really like that idea. Even if O'Reilly is interchanged with Wilson or a different center, I like the idea of Bergfors with SK.

07-04-2011, 07:26 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Bergfors is either amazing or invisible. He's not as much of a defensive liability as some might suggest, but he does have floating tendencies. At the price paid to sign him, it's really not a bad deal. Worst case scenario; he winds up in Milwaukee. Best case scenario; 30 goals

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:53 AM
GreenHornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplosiveLEAFman View Post
At the price he's signed at, it's worth a shot. He was the central piece for the Kovalchuk trade. Biggest problem in Atlanta was he couldn't produce points on the top two lines and was useless on the bottom two lines.

Maybe with a better coaching staff and tighter system, he can be somewhat productive. But he was dumped at the trade deadline for a rental of Dvorak, tells you what the Thrashers thought of him.
I'll pretty much agree with this, but remember one thing. He IS, after all, only 24 years old. The hope is that he finally matures soon. IF he ever does, he could still be a really good player. And at the league minimum, almost zero risk with a potential high reward.

GreenHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:21 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
well the price is right

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:42 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Looking forward to seeing him play. I'm hoping for sk74 2.0

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

he's also really good with the cycle game, so he might help the power play out a bit. i remember one game in new jersey where his line kept the puck in the zone for two minutes before they scored. he can also play both wings.

i really like this move the more i think about it. i think the problem in atlanta and florida was that they couldn't afford to have a top 6 player go through stretches of not scoring if there's not something else they do really well. with the defense and goaltending nashville has, they probably can.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:20 PM
kevinqx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Can Atlanta fans chime on Bergfors?
Yeah, I don't think for 575K it's a bad deal. That said, I don't think his upside is too terribly high. Maybe 20 goals if we're lucky.

I actually don't think his defense is as terrible as some are making it out to be. Then again, in Atlanta the standards were pretty low.

kevinqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I liked Bergfors when I watched him in New Jersey, but never really saw him much in Atlanta or for Florida last season.

After the buyout of J.P. Dumont, I believe Bergfors is his replacement. He will start on the third scoring line (ie: the 4th line) and will be expected to work his way up from there by creating offense, playing his game, and doing the minimum necessary defensively.

If he can top Dumont's 19 points from last season, that is an upgrade. If he can match Dumont's season from two years ago (18g, 27a = 45 pts) then the signing would be dynamite.

Regardless, this is the type of move I wanted. Buyout Dumont and find a younger player that can fill his role. I love JP as a person, but he simply wasn't worth the roster spot anymore in Nashville and especially at his salary.

Good move by Poile.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Bongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Can Atlanta fans chime on Bergfors?
When he shows up to play he can be an asset. He's got good hands but doesn't like to get them dirty.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:16 PM
GreenHornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqx View Post
That said, I don't think his upside is too terribly high.
Beg to differ. At 24, I think he's still got a pretty good upside. The question is, will he ever show enough maturity to reach it.

GreenHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:21 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

I like this signing!

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Eller81