HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers D

Old
07-03-2011, 10:33 PM
OleOleOleOleBureBure

vCash: 500
Rangers D

i am a bit concerned about our D. Every other position (Forwards and Goalie) we are in great shape.

we have Sauer and McDonagh going into their 2nd year (and McD only had a half of year one). what if one of them hits the sophmore wall? what if both?

now lets assume Erixon makes the team as 6th D. this means that we have 3 very young Dmen. i have a feeling that delZotto will spend the entire year in Hartford.

it becomes very important who slats signs on D. He is on record saying that he wants to pick up 1D. this makes sense to me.

i really like O'brien and Hannan. i loved o'brien in the playoffs this year. O'brien will cost less, maybe even half of Hannan. i see O'brien getting around 1.6M (his last salary) and Hannan in the 3-4M range.

i know babchuk has been mentioned as well but now that we have Ritchie to play the point, i dont think we need babchuk.

OleOleOleOleBureBure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:59 PM
drewcon40

Bure, I understand your concern but personally, I am fine with the D. The Rangers may bring in a veteran but Staal, Girardi, Sauer, McDonugh, Erixon, Del Zotto, possibly Valentenko, Pshinin, Kundratek battling for a spot, young yet very solid. We have a surplus of forwards for the 3rd line. Maybe Slats makes a trade?

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Bure, I understand your concern but personally, I am fine with the D. The Rangers may bring in a veteran but Staal, Girardi, Sauer, McDonugh, Erixon, Del Zotto, possibly Valentenko, Pshinin, Kundratek battling for a spot, young yet very solid. We have a surplus of forwards for the 3rd line. Maybe Slats makes a trade?
Just resign Eminger. He is cheap and didn't complain when scratched... I didn't mind him in the lineup

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Ke11y96

I may be alone in this logic but I would love love love love to see this team trade for Dustin Byfuglien!! A good skating, big guy, with hard shot plays right side, and is physical...Go Get Him Slats...

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleOleOleOleBureBure View Post
i am a bit concerned about our D. Every other position (Forwards and Goalie) we are in great shape.

we have Sauer and McDonagh going into their 2nd year (and McD only had a half of year one). what if one of them hits the sophmore wall? what if both?

now lets assume Erixon makes the team as 6th D. this means that we have 3 very young Dmen. i have a feeling that delZotto will spend the entire year in Hartford.

it becomes very important who slats signs on D. He is on record saying that he wants to pick up 1D. this makes sense to me.

i really like O'brien and Hannan. i loved o'brien in the playoffs this year. O'brien will cost less, maybe even half of Hannan. i see O'brien getting around 1.6M (his last salary) and Hannan in the 3-4M range.

i know babchuk has been mentioned as well but now that we have Ritchie to play the point, i dont think we need babchuk.
I'm not worried at all. Staal and Girardi are rock solid. McDonagh and Sauer have the kind of simple, fundamentally sound games where it's really hard for me to imagine them regressing. Erixon is supposedly cut from the same cloth with a higher offensive potential. The only question for me is whether Del Zotto bounces back or not. I really don't want to bring in a veteran dman to be anything more than a 6/7 man (mostly 7).

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:09 PM
darko

We have less question marks today than we did this time last year. Our D will be fine.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:11 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke11y96 View Post
I may be alone in this logic but I would love love love love to see this team trade for Dustin Byfuglien!! A good skating, big guy, with hard shot plays right side, and is physical...Go Get Him Slats...
Credit to "eklund's source" for the following analysis:

Quote:
Byfuglien is horrible value for his cap hit. He looks good a) playing beside Enstrom and b) because he is given the most sheltered minutes on the team. He gets 56% of his starts in the offensive zone, took twice as many penalties as he drew, and enormous amounts of powerplay time. From January 5th to the end of the year, he had 4g, 8a in 39 games. Funny enough, Enstrom was playing injured and then missed a bunch of time during that stretch..
I do not want Byfuglien anywhere near this team's defense at that cap hit, let alone giving up what it would require for Winnipeg to even consider moving him. He fits there, they aren't moving him.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Vet D does need to be signed though.

Bring back Emigner probably.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Sign The Anton.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Credit to "eklund's source" for the following analysis:

I do not want Byfuglien anywhere near this team's defense at that cap hit, let alone giving up what it would require for Winnipeg to even consider moving him. He fits there, they aren't moving him.
For some reason I thought his cap hit was like 3.55 or something at 5.2 or whatever it is yeah no thanks some of his attributes are great but not at that cap hit..umm I still think if this team dresses a top 5 of

Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
Erixon - ?????

My dark horse pick to land that spot is McIlrath..I don't think you start off either Del Zotto's comeback or Erixon's first year on their off side...I'm guessing Eminger gets a camp invite and they see if one of the young D can win a spot if not they'll take Emmy for the year..

Old
07-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Vitto79

meh not worried

Staal , Girardi - have total confidence in as a top shut down pair

Mcdonaugh, Sauer- could have a sophmore slump but I am more pumped to see how good they can get

Then its a battle in camp for the other 2 spots

Valentenko- I think regardless he has to make the team as he has to go through waivers. I think he deserves it anyway. The man can hit

Erixon- Top prospect, played with men in the Swedish elite league. He is either ready or very close

Del Zotto- solid 1st yr, crappy 2nd, only true offensive Dman. I think he can learn from last yr and come back with a good performance

others
Kundratek had a great 1st yr in the AHL.

Pashin, not sure if he signed to play in the AHL but sounds like he takes the body just needs to get a little bigger

McIlrath, seems like he has improved, a yr or two away

I could see Eminger back maybe as a spare body or someone signed on a two way dealio.

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke11y96 View Post
Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
Erixon - ?????

My dark horse pick to land that spot is McIlrath..I don't think you start off either Del Zotto's comeback or Erixon's first year on their off side...I'm guessing Eminger gets a camp invite and they see if one of the young D can win a spot if not they'll take Emmy for the year..
If it's Del Zotto rather than Valentenko on the team, then I'd do it like this:
Staal - Girardi
Erixon - McDonagh or McDonagh - Erixon
Del Zotto - Sauer

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
If it's Del Zotto rather than Valentenko on the team, then I'd do it like this:
Staal - Girardi
Erixon - McDonagh or McDonagh - Erixon
Del Zotto - Sauer
Yeah I like that look I just don't see any footage on any of our defensemen playing on their off "side" unless of course its on the power play..which is a lot different than playing it 5 v 5..

Old
07-03-2011, 11:47 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I am not concerned at all either

Del Zotto's issues were with turnovers. That is not an issue with sauer or mcdonaugh. Their game is to keep things simple, make the outlet pass and in the case of mcd to use his skating to stand up on the play and not back into the zone.

I feel that NY should not sign a free agent dman but instead should allow valentenko, kundratek and pashnin etc to compete for the other slot on the 3rd pairing opposite Erixon

I wouldn't mind the resigning of Eminger who wasn't outstanding but blocked shots and wasn't out of place. he also knows the system.

I don't expect to see McIlrath in NY anytime soon

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i have ZERO concerns for our D. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Rangers top 4 are as good as any, are yougn, and are all going to improve. They have a TON of depth coming. we're set. leave the D alone.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:32 AM
YoungD4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
I am not concerned at all either

Del Zotto's issues were with turnovers. That is not an issue with sauer or mcdonaugh. Their game is to keep things simple, make the outlet pass and in the case of mcd to use his skating to stand up on the play and not back into the zone.

I feel that NY should not sign a free agent dman but instead should allow valentenko, kundratek and pashnin to compete for the other slot on the 3rd pairing opposite Erixon

I wouldn't mind the resigning of Eminger who wasn't outstanding but blocked shots and wasn't out of place. he also knows the system.

I don't expect to see McIlrath in NY anytime soon
Uhm I think Del Zotto deserves to get the biggest shot to stick. World class talent

Staal-girardi
Erixon - mcdonagh
MDZ-sauer

Valentenko

YoungD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

As long as Staal is healthy, we'll be fine. Sauer and McDonagh are fundamentally sound and I think it's more likely we see one of them break out offensively than regress defensively. They're pretty much what you're looking for in a solid second pair. I'm not sure what we're going to get out of Erixon with it being his first year in the league but I'm excited to see what he brings to the table. Everything I've read indicates that he's ready for the NHL.

I'm surprised how quickly people have soured on Del Zotto. I think he has a chance to be a pleasant surprise this year. He's got skill on offense and I think last year was a big wake up call for him. Honestly, even when he was playing last year, I felt like he was an upgrade over Gilroy. He has really high upside and if he can keep his head in the game on defense, I think he could be a huge benefit to our team. He's young and I think his immediate success got to his head. Maturity should help him greatly.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:37 AM
ltrangerfan

I have concerns about the D.

I wouldn't slot in Erixson (without playing in 1 NHL game) as a starting D. I can't slot in MDZ automatically after the past season. Without those two I'm left with a battle of rookies coming out of the AHl?

With Gilroy gone, try to sign Emm's or make a play for a "better" vet D if available at the right price?. In any case the Rangers need some experience to fall back on should the rookies not cut the grade. Hopefully MDZ performs in camp and can be slotted in. Based on what I saw last year the 5th and 6th D's doesn't need to be that dynamic simply keep their errors to a minimum. Any real return gained is a bonus.

At this moment I'm in the show me camp so I still have a few concerns.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I don't want Erixon penciled in as a #3/#4 guy, give him sheltered minutes and make him earn the spot. I do agree that probably one or two of MDZ, McDonagh, Sauer will struggle next year so that's why we need a minute munching veteran defenseman, but Sather has done nothing as of yet. I'm all for bringing back Eminger or probably get a guy like Wallin or Hannan.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:00 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleOleOleOleBureBure View Post

We still need that hard shot from the point on the PP, Vtank is a rookie and needs some seasoning. If Babchuk signs for 1.75 per for 2 years, I will do it.
Other than that, sign Emmy and this Defense is good enough. We were top 5 last season, even if we regress, we still have Hank back there and the increased offensive production will make up for it.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
We still need that hard shot from the point on the PP, Vtank is a rookie and needs some seasoning. If Babchuk signs for 1.75 per for 2 years, I will do it.
Other than that, sign Emmy and this Defense is good enough. We were top 5 last season, even if we regress, we still have Hank back there and the increased offensive production will make up for it.
not really a fan of bringing him in for more than 1 year to be honest.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
not really a fan of bringing him in for more than 1 year to be honest.
I am not against 1 year, the second year is for McI to be ready.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:31 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I would rather go with youth this year. This is the first year we are truly competitive and it would be good to separate the men from the boys, and to give the men who are able to play in the NHL real experience.

I am not saying we rush kids like McIlrath and Miller, who are clearly not ready, but its's high time for Valentenko to show what he is worth. Other like MDZ and Kundratek should also get a chance.

At the end of the next season, I want to know if Valentenko is the next Michael Sauer or the next Corey Potter.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:46 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
bring back Eminger, he is a solid bottom pairing d-man and does not complain when he has to sit in the pressbox

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:02 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

The main issue with Del Zotto are his atrocious turnovers. He was a machine at producing them last season. Just terrible. It was painful to watch too.

Nobody here doubts his upside, (do they?) the issue is the downside of the turnovers and can MDZ bring his game back to the way it was in his rookie year. I think all ranger fans hope indeed pray this will occur. Many here are hoping Del Zotto goes to the AHL and plays top line minutes and grasps the consistency of playing defense on a nightly basis because the Rangers can certainly use MDZ offensive presence from the backline sans les turnovers.

If he brings a complete game to camp I for one would LOVE to see him on opening night

Like the other players in camp Del Zotto will have to earn his play time which is why I am hoping NY does NOT sign a vet on the blueline. There is little need beyond some insurance with a guy like Eminger or other camp invite.

I think Erixon makes the team. He appears to be ready, has the contract and most likely will not report to the AHL which was perhaps his issue with Calgary. Its been documented on this site that many Scandavian players dislike the AHL because it hampers even ruins their chances at the NHL.

NY should save the cap space to make a deal down the road not spend it on a vet who clogs up the chances for MDZ, Erixon, Valentenko, Kundrachek, Pashnin.

My hope is that the 2 slots on the 3rd pairing go to the 2 best guys in camp. That will give NY the best chance to win on a nightly basis.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote