HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers D

Old
07-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Kwayry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I would rather go with youth this year. This is the first year we are truly competitive and it would be good to separate the men from the boys, and to give the men who are able to play in the NHL real experience.

I am not saying we rush kids like McIlrath and Miller, who are clearly not ready, but its's high time for Valentenko to show what he is worth. Other like MDZ and Kundratek should also get a chance.

At the end of the next season, I want to know if Valentenko is the next Michael Sauer or the next Corey Potter.
Vtank needs to work on his skating and mobility. I thought he was also trained with Underhill. It would benefit him greatly.
A rook with mobility issue manning the point is dangerous if the puck trickles behind him, now he has to chase the carrier that we won't catch and will generate a scoring chance or worse a goal. Maybe 2 more development years for VTank. Pachnin on the other hand may push this year, because he can always in KHL and leave, He seems to be ready, but his shot is average.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:29 AM
nyr5186

Just to set it straight before I unleash a bold possibility...I really like our defense. Its young and effective. Barring injuries, all signs point to McDonagh and Sauer only getting better. I don't think it's fair to compare their situation to that of Del Zotto's sophomore year. DZ plays a style of defense that is inherently more prone to slumping I think, not to mention he was considerably younger going into his second season than them.

Only thing I would do is re-sign eminger and let him and the rest of the kids fight for the 5-7 spots.

That being said, I wanted to pose this question: Suppose none of the kids run away with a spot on the 3rd pair. Then suppose that Wade Redden comes into camp in great shape, surprises everyone, and plays well enough to earn a spot fair and square over anyone else. Not saying this will occur, but we all know some crazy unexpected things tend to happen in training camp. What do we do in that situation?

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:54 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I'm not concerned about MDZ at all. The love affair with him will be back in full force not even a quarter through the season.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 04:15 AM
gravey9

I strongly suspect a guy like Richards will have a big impact on goals from the D position this year. With Richards and Gaborik rushing up the ice together, the d-men will have tons of chances to trail the play and sneak into scoring position.

Also, if Del Zotto is out on the power play with Richards, they won't be able to pressure MDZ up at the point nearly as much. The whole dynamic of the power play should change. And one of the trickle down effects will be that Del Zotto will have more space and time to distribute. As much as I love guys like Dubinsky and Callahan they have a tendency to hold onto the puck a second or two longer than the Stepans, Richards and Del Zottos of the world. And it really slowed down the PP last year - especially when you add in Girardi, Gilroy or Staal as the other D. It was just too easy to pressure us into a bad play.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 04:44 AM
jniklast

I don't really want Eminger back. Yes he was decent last season, but I just think if we want a veteran dman, then there are better options still out there. Anyway I wouldn't be opposed to having an entirely homegrown defensive corps at the start of the season.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:19 AM
eco's bones

Not a big fan of Eminger and I don't care for Babchuk.

Here are some other UFA names out there.

The big ones--Kaberle, Hannan
Then there are Sopel, O'Brien, Lundin, Salei, Lepisto (I believe), Rivet. There will be at least two or three others bouncing around between the European leagues etc.

And there are a couple ways of handling this situation. 1) sign someone now 2) invite a d-man or two to training camp and see how the situation plays out as far as our own guys and whether or not we need to add.

IMO we're probably going to have to sign a vet. Personally I'd like Hannan the most of the group above but he might be too expensve. Babchuk's always had an inflated opinion of his own value--that's one reason why he's bounced around so much. O'Brien plays with real edge--but is not a good fighter and takes a lot of needless penalties. Too hotheaded. Sopel might be a good fit--again relative to how much he costs.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Not a big fan of Eminger and I don't care for Babchuk.

Here are some other UFA names out there.

The big ones--Kaberle, Hannan
Then there are Sopel, O'Brien, Lundin, Salei, Lepisto (I believe), Rivet. There will be at least two or three others bouncing around between the European leagues etc.

And there are a couple ways of handling this situation. 1) sign someone now 2) invite a d-man or two to training camp and see how the situation plays out as far as our own guys and whether or not we need to add.

IMO we're probably going to have to sign a vet. Personally I'd like Hannan the most of the group above but he might be too expensve. Babchuk's always had an inflated opinion of his own value--that's one reason why he's bounced around so much. O'Brien plays with real edge--but is not a good fighter and takes a lot of needless penalties. Too hotheaded. Sopel might be a good fit--again relative to how much he costs.
Sopel is likely a good option but honestly it kicks a kid out if they sign a vet. Again Vtank is out of options so regardless he makes the team in my eyes. Just like Sauer and that turned out great

If you remember Sauer was in and out of the lineup with Gilroy then they came to there senses and he got in full time

If anyone is down its one of Erixon or DZ but that also seems like a pretty nice offensive pair. One can team with Richards on the PP

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr5186 View Post
Just to set it straight before I unleash a bold possibility...I really like our defense. Its young and effective. Barring injuries, all signs point to McDonagh and Sauer only getting better. I don't think it's fair to compare their situation to that of Del Zotto's sophomore year. DZ plays a style of defense that is inherently more prone to slumping I think, not to mention he was considerably younger going into his second season than them.

Only thing I would do is re-sign eminger and let him and the rest of the kids fight for the 5-7 spots.

That being said, I wanted to pose this question: Suppose none of the kids run away with a spot on the 3rd pair. Then suppose that Wade Redden comes into camp in great shape, surprises everyone, and plays well enough to earn a spot fair and square over anyone else. Not saying this will occur, but we all know some crazy unexpected things tend to happen in training camp. What do we do in that situation?
reality is Redden is waived ASAP. They have to get that 6.5 off the cap to get under . So will never happen

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:39 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke11y96 View Post
I may be alone in this logic but I would love love love love to see this team trade for Dustin Byfuglien!! A good skating, big guy, with hard shot plays right side, and is physical...Go Get Him Slats...
Pretty sure that train left the station when the Hawks traded him to Atlanta....though I would love him as well. Another reason that the Drury and Redden contracts handcuffed this team...but that's for another thread

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Ideally for the NYR, Valentenko, Del Zotto, And Erixon would all make it.

But only 2 of 3 can and still play. Pashnin will find himself in the AHL I would imagine.

07-04-2011, 08:48 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
I am not concerned at all either

Del Zotto's issues were with turnovers. That is not an issue with sauer or mcdonaugh. Their game is to keep things simple, make the outlet pass and in the case of mcd to use his skating to stand up on the play and not back into the zone.

I feel that NY should not sign a free agent dman but instead should allow valentenko, kundratek and pashnin etc to compete for the other slot on the 3rd pairing opposite Erixon

I wouldn't mind the resigning of Eminger who wasn't outstanding but blocked shots and wasn't out of place. he also knows the system.

I don't expect to see McIlrath in NY anytime soon
They need a vet dman...I agree that Sauer and McD play a simpler game, but their will and should be an expectation that they continue their development, with that will come mistakes, part of the growing process. They need a vet dman to help them shake those mistakes off.

Old
07-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
They need a vet dman...I agree that Sauer and McD play a simpler game, but their will and should be an expectation that they continue their development, with that will come mistakes, part of the growing process. They need a vet dman to help them shake those mistakes off.
If we have space left after the RFA signings, I see no reason at all why Eminger shouldnt be back as the 7th defenseman.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:54 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr5186 View Post

I'll let the board capologists verify this one, but I'm pretty sure even if Redden comes into camp and plays like Bobby Orr their isn't enough Cap Space for him to be on the Opening Night roster without clearing salary, his salary basically eats up the 10% overage in the Summer Cap...it could be done but that would probably mean Wolski and Avery gone, those spots would still need to be replaced with AHL'ers or some tryout invitee ala Feds last summer.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:16 AM
ruckus*

The defense is so exciting.

Staal 24, Girardi 27, McDonagh 22, Sauer 23, Del Zotto 21, Erixon 20.

Yes people, remember that Del Zotto is only 21. As infuriating as he was at times last year, he is so young and has so much potential. We are afforded the luxury of being patient with him thanks to everyone else.

I literally have zero concerns about McDonagh and Sauer going into this season. None. If anything I would shocked if they played status quo to last year. That would be disappointing. I think they both will improve. They just have it. When you watch them it's obvious.

Staal is Staal. The anchor.

Erixon is a wild card but from everything we've read I don't see why he's not a solid 5 D. Will he struggle at times? Probably. But I just value the opinions of the men we have making these decisions too much to be concerned with him.

Girardi IMO is the biggest wild card. We never know which Dan Giardi we're going to get. That absolute stud or the one who looks lost. To be fair, it's more often the former IMO. And when he's neither of those he's still usually fairly solid.

Eminger makes perfect sense as the 7th D. Although at the risk of losing VTank I don't know what I would do. I wouldn't be shocked to see him dealt I suppose.

Pashnin, McIlrath, Kundratek are all not ready. We'll see whther they're still here and ready to step in when we have to move someone in the years to come.

For now, this defense is going to be fun to watch. That McDonagh-Sauer pairing became one of the best parts of the season for me last year. I mean who didn't fall in love with Michael Freaking' Sauer?! Loved seeing his snarl start to rub off on McDonagh by the end of the year.

Would love for that pairing to stick together a long time.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Noonansgoal

Not really concerned about Sauer or McD, in regards to a sophmore slump. They both played relatively simple, yet effective games last year and didn't try to do too much and will continue to develop their offense gradually. This is the way to develop young d-men, and MDZ should have been no different.

MDZ went all out, guns blazing his rookie year as a bonofied offensive defenceman who put up serious points for a rookie, and set the bar pretty high and just psyched himself out. Once the ride got rough, he tried to do way too much (homerun passes, etc.) and his zone coverage suffered.

Hindsight is 20/20 but if you ask me I would have kept the reigns a little tighter on MDZ his rookie year regarding his offensive game and had him concentrate more on his defense. His offense would have come into its own gradually after he had the confidence to play in his own end. This is what we are doing with MCD and Sauer and its paying off.

Staal is another example of this. His point production went up gradually every year while being a beast in his own end at the same time. And keep in mind, Staal was regarded as a defencemen with offensive ability in juniors.

Noonansgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Last years team made me a believer on the defense. I am not very concerned about. I think it's as solid as you are going to find and has Vet leadership in Staal and Girardi.

It lacks the offensive puck mover but has a great prospect in Del Zotto there. This is his chance to grab it. It lacks the mean nasty SOB, but has a guys that play with an edge. Overall there is some general toughness. I think they are fine there with some fat to boot meaning assets in guys that are looking to jump in.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
It lacks the mean nasty SOB, but has a guys that play with an edge. Overall there is some general toughness.
I really think Sauer will be that guy this year. I just have a hunch that the coaching staff told him they want him to be nastier, and you can see he has it in him between whistles. I always viewed him as kind of a "Douglas Murray light."

Noonansgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:53 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I actually think the D is one of the Rangers strongpoints.

Young yes, but the right type of youth.

A Vet d-man wouldnt be a bad addition (on a one year deal) but Erixon is an upgrade to Gilroy imo, and the defense did a pretty sound job last year. Throw in an added year of development for all and DZ possibly getting his **** back together and we are pretty set. Adding some offensive prowess back there is really a need imo.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:54 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Our defense is our strongest asset.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:54 AM
eco's bones

Here is my thought process. Anyone can agree with it or not. We got back into the playoffs last year. We added Erixon to a nice young defensive corps. Hopefully it means we'll have at least 5 solid guys. A question in my head is how far that will take us?--especially if someone gets hurt--especially not having a really experienced guy back there. Sopel would be a nice addition if we can fit him in. He's been through the playoff grind--was on the Cup winning Blackhawks team. He is a little old-34. The Canucks used about a dozen defensemen in the postseason this year. Having extra defensemen around IMO is a good idea. I don't know if we'll have enough cap $ to fit him but not a bad idea IMO if at all possible.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:59 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I actually think the D is one of the Rangers strongpoints.
Agreed, the weakness lies in the forwards inability to play a puck possession game.

Last edited by LyNX27: 07-04-2011 at 10:31 AM.
LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:00 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Re-sign Eminger.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:09 AM
RangerBlues

Eminger is solid. MDZ should remain in the A for the entire season.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:01 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Acquire young RD

We are so left heavy

Staal-obv not going anywhere
McD-I'm high on McD & expect him to be a legit #2
Erixon-know only what I've read but it sounds like mgmt believes he's def ready for NHL & they've said top 4 ready
MDZ-loads of potential as PMD
VTank-I'd say def should be a consistent NHL dman even if only a rugged bottom pair guy. Def solid depth guy.

Admittedly Im new to the game but it seems very few Dmen play their offhand side?

I don't want to specifically lose any of our top 4 LHD but I obv want to maximize our talent on ice.

Should we try & trade one(& + depending) for another equally(or better) talented RHD? A 3way trade may work the best.

I dont know the league as well as most of you guys so I don't have a whole lot of suggestions on trade ideas.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:04 AM
NYR Viper

McIlrath
Kundratek
Pashnin

All RD's

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote