HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXIV (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-30-2011, 10:12 PM
  #101
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Maybe move Roy at a 4 million cap since Richards takes his spot. After next year, they have Boyes, Hecht, Kotalik, Gaustad and Morrisonn becoming UFA for about 15 million off the cap. I think they are alright and can afford Richards....
Or they just bury Kotalik like I'm sure they are planning. And then don't move anyone that matters.

Talks to Goalposts is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 10:17 PM
  #102
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 14,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Its funny how getting two essentially "average(Erhoff is a little above average)" defensemen changes people's minds about a team so easily.

Such knee-jerking goes on during this time of year.
Ehrhoff and Regehr are good defencemen, not just "above average".

We're talking about a team that's a perennial playoff team despite not spending anywhere near the cap. With a very good Top 4 in front of one of the best goalies in the world, watch out. Look at what adding Michalek and Martin did for Fleury.

le_sean is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 10:28 PM
  #103
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,251
vCash: 500
Sorry, buddah, but Miller with Hoff, Regehr and Myers cementing the D-core in front of him and surrounded by Sekera/Gragnani/up-and-coming Dmen. That's cup material defense.

Forwards: if they land BRichards, that's it: they have great talent upfront. Vanek, Roy, BRichards, Stafford, Ennis, Gerbe and JPom. Add some dime-a-dozen grinders and you've got a solid offense.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline  
Old
06-30-2011, 11:06 PM
  #104
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Then how will they do it? They'll have to offer huge money so even in a Ehrhoff type deal it's about 8 mil cap hit. They need every cent they have left just on their RFA's.

So to add 7.5-8 mil they'd need to move one big salary plus maybe a smaller one...Kotalik to AHL plus Miller or Vanek...maybe Pominville but it would be really really tight.
Maybe you aren't understanding. Pegula, the new owner has no problem burying contracts if he has to.

Kotalik will be in the AHL and I see Boyes doing the same or being traded for a pick. That's 7 mill right there.

Sadly, they have an owner more committed to winning than we do.

gusfring is offline  
Old
07-03-2011, 11:08 PM
  #105
PyrettaBlaze*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,264
vCash: 500
Continue around the league discussions here.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline  
Old
07-03-2011, 11:15 PM
  #106
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I'm still shocked.

Holy crap.

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 08:00 AM
  #107
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Oh yeah Fel, you happy about the trade or what?

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 08:36 AM
  #108
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
I really don't get the Franson trade...

W the F was that? What the hell did Poile think? Telling me Habs couldn't offer better? Or any other team?

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 08:37 AM
  #109
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,935
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I really don't get the Franson trade...

W the F was that? What the hell did Poile think? Telling me Habs couldn't offer better? Or any other team?
From what Nashville fans are saying, it looks like Lombardi's concussion might put him out for the entire year (don't know if that's an exaggeration or not...) and it was mainly a move to save $$$.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 08:38 AM
  #110
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I really don't get the Franson trade...

W the F was that? What the hell did Poile think? Telling me Habs couldn't offer better? Or any other team?
Well they also took on the Lombardi salary. Anyone know how he is doing having missed all season with a concussion?

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 08:41 AM
  #111
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
From what Nashville fans are saying, it looks like Lombardi's concussion might put him out for the entire year (don't know if that's an exaggeration or not...) and it was mainly a move to save $$$.
Still, Franson was a hefty price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Well they also took on the Lombardi salary. Anyone know how he is doing having missed all season with a concussion?
Players can get traded when they're on LTIR??

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 08:43 AM
  #112
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Well they also took on the Lombardi salary. Anyone know how he is doing having missed all season with a concussion?
He still has concussion sx and no guarantee he even comes back.

Again, Toronto won the deal, but they willingly took on the salary of an injured player for 2 more seasons for a 4th D man.
I still dont get my people have trouble connecting the dots on this one. TO is desperate & will eat salaries to better their team.
If you look at their offseason acquisitions : Connelly & Franson= sub par for a non-playoff team.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 08:43 AM
  #113
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
He still has concussion sx and no guarantee he even comes back.

Again, Toronto won the deal, but they willingly took on the salary of an injured player for 2 more seasons for a 4th D man.
I still dont get my people have trouble connecting the dots on this one. TO is desperate & will eat salaries to better their team.
If you look at their offseason acquisitions : Connelly & Franson= sub par for a non-playoff team.
Franson has some potential.

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 08:44 AM
  #114
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
He still has concussion sx and no guarantee he even comes back.

Again, Toronto won the deal, but they willingly took on the salary of an injured player for 2 more seasons for a 4th D man.
I still dont get my people have trouble connecting the dots on this one. TO is desperate & will eat salaries to better their team.
If you look at their offseason acquisitions : Connelly & Franson= sub par for a non-playoff team.
If only Molson would care and swallow some big contracts

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 08:47 AM
  #115
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
If only Molson would care and swallow some big contracts
Considering they were making a pitch to get Richards, I'd say that they are willing to spend money. So this whole theory about how the Molsons are cheap needs to end.

I know Habs4Life that you were just joking but I took it as the opportunity to just speak my mind of that whole issue which seems to have corrupted many minds.

Andy is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 08:48 AM
  #116
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Considering they were making a pitch to get Richards, I'd say that they are willing to spend money. So this whole theory about how the Molsons are cheap needs to end.

I know Habs4Life that you were just joking but I took it as the opportunity to just speak my mind of that whole issue which seems to have corrupted many minds.
We can only hope, but on this board it most probably never will, unfortunately

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 09:01 AM
  #117
Gainey#1*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa/Calgary
Posts: 2,308
vCash: 500
at people saying the Molson's are cheap...

Gainey#1* is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 09:39 AM
  #118
bipolarhabfan
Registered User
 
bipolarhabfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,573
vCash: 500
Heatley is on the move again. I guess his two goals a playoffs is not good enough . I think, if healthy, Havlat will put up better numbers in San Jose. He can skate and actually has some semblance of a heart!

bipolarhabfan is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 10:02 AM
  #119
MarkovsKnee
Registered User
 
MarkovsKnee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I really don't get the Franson trade...

W the F was that? What the hell did Poile think? Telling me Habs couldn't offer better? Or any other team?
Lombardi has had too many concussions, so his contract isn't insurable, which means Nashville was going to have pay out the last two years of his contract in full, because insurance wasn't going to pay for it and teams aren't allowed to buy out an injured player.

It sounds like Lombardi's career is done. The Leafs will put him on LTIR and not lose any cap space because of him, and they will pay out the $7m Lombardi is still owed on his contract. The Leafs have money to burn. In return for this, they got a very good young defenceman.

For Nashville, it looks like Jonathan Blum is ready for the NHL, and I'm sure Ryan Ellis will get a long look at training camp. Preds could still use another D now though, because Brett Lebda sucks. They also still need to spend $10,779,167m just to reach the cap floor, but at least that money will now be spent on serviceable players rather than Lombardi.

MarkovsKnee is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 10:16 AM
  #120
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
Lombardi has had too many concussions, so his contract isn't insurable, which means Nashville was going to have pay out the last two years of his contract in full, because insurance wasn't going to pay for it and teams aren't allowed to buy out an injured player.

It sounds like Lombardi's career is done. The Leafs will put him on LTIR and not lose any cap space because of him, and they will pay out the $7m Lombardi is still owed on his contract. The Leafs have money to burn. In return for this, they got a very good young defenceman.

For Nashville, it looks like Jonathan Blum is ready for the NHL, and I'm sure Ryan Ellis will get a long look at training camp. Preds could still use another D now though, because Brett Lebda sucks. They also still need to spend $10,779,167m just to reach the cap floor, but at least that money will now be spent on serviceable players rather than Lombardi.

Eh, Nashville, we have Gomez and Spacek here. Your 10 million would be absorbed.

habitue* is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 10:31 AM
  #121
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Eh, Nashville, we have Gomez and Spacek here. Your 10 million would be absorbed.
They need to sign Weber and others, doubt they have much of a problem reaching the cap floor

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 11:27 AM
  #122
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
at people saying the Molson's are cheap...
I have a hard time understanding how anybody can say that someone who just spent half a billion dollars to purchase a team is cheap..

I mean, if they had financial troubles and needed to cut cost, I get it, but they wouldn't have bought the team if that were the case. They also would cut cost a lot more.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 11:39 AM
  #123
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I have a hard time understanding how anybody can say that someone who just spent half a billion dollars to purchase a team is cheap..

I mean, if they had financial troubles and needed to cut cost, I get it, but they wouldn't have bought the team if that were the case. They also would cut cost a lot more.
It's not "cheap" per se, it's that other owners are willing to do more in that money is never a factor ie. Rangers, Flyers and now Sabres.

gusfring is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 11:42 AM
  #124
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
It's not "cheap" per se, it's that other owners are willing to do more in that money is never a factor ie. Rangers, Flyers and now Sabres.
Didn't the Canadiens spend to cap last year? Also, their payroll far exceeded what the cap was.

Also with the recent news confirmed by many that the Habs were bidding for Richards I really cannot see how you can make that argument.

Andy is offline  
Old
07-04-2011, 11:46 AM
  #125
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
He thinks because the Rangers constantly overpay for people, then subsequently buy them out/bury them in the minors, that they have better management than us.

Would you really want to pay Ville Leino $4.5m a season?

Protest the Hero is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.