HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXIV (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Maybe move Roy at a 4 million cap since Richards takes his spot. After next year, they have Boyes, Hecht, Kotalik, Gaustad and Morrisonn becoming UFA for about 15 million off the cap. I think they are alright and can afford Richards....
Or they just bury Kotalik like I'm sure they are planning. And then don't move anyone that matters.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:17 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Its funny how getting two essentially "average(Erhoff is a little above average)" defensemen changes people's minds about a team so easily.

Such knee-jerking goes on during this time of year.
Ehrhoff and Regehr are good defencemen, not just "above average".

We're talking about a team that's a perennial playoff team despite not spending anywhere near the cap. With a very good Top 4 in front of one of the best goalies in the world, watch out. Look at what adding Michalek and Martin did for Fleury.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:28 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Sorry, buddah, but Miller with Hoff, Regehr and Myers cementing the D-core in front of him and surrounded by Sekera/Gragnani/up-and-coming Dmen. That's cup material defense.

Forwards: if they land BRichards, that's it: they have great talent upfront. Vanek, Roy, BRichards, Stafford, Ennis, Gerbe and JPom. Add some dime-a-dozen grinders and you've got a solid offense.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:06 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Then how will they do it? They'll have to offer huge money so even in a Ehrhoff type deal it's about 8 mil cap hit. They need every cent they have left just on their RFA's.

So to add 7.5-8 mil they'd need to move one big salary plus maybe a smaller one...Kotalik to AHL plus Miller or Vanek...maybe Pominville but it would be really really tight.
Maybe you aren't understanding. Pegula, the new owner has no problem burying contracts if he has to.

Kotalik will be in the AHL and I see Boyes doing the same or being traded for a pick. That's 7 mill right there.

Sadly, they have an owner more committed to winning than we do.

Old
07-03-2011, 11:08 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Continue around the league discussions here.

Old
07-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I'm still shocked.

Holy crap.

Old
07-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Protest the Hero

Oh yeah Fel, you happy about the trade or what?

Old
07-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I really don't get the Franson trade...

W the F was that? What the hell did Poile think? Telling me Habs couldn't offer better? Or any other team?

Old
07-04-2011, 08:37 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

W the F was that? What the hell did Poile think? Telling me Habs couldn't offer better? Or any other team?
From what Nashville fans are saying, it looks like Lombardi's concussion might put him out for the entire year (don't know if that's an exaggeration or not...) and it was mainly a move to save $$$.

Old
07-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

Well they also took on the Lombardi salary. Anyone know how he is doing having missed all season with a concussion?

Old
07-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
From what Nashville fans are saying, it looks like Lombardi's concussion might put him out for the entire year (don't know if that's an exaggeration or not...) and it was mainly a move to save $$$.
Still, Franson was a hefty price.

Quote:
Well they also took on the Lombardi salary. Anyone know how he is doing having missed all season with a concussion?
Players can get traded when they're on LTIR??

Old
07-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
He still has concussion sx and no guarantee he even comes back.

Again, Toronto won the deal, but they willingly took on the salary of an injured player for 2 more seasons for a 4th D man.
I still dont get my people have trouble connecting the dots on this one. TO is desperate & will eat salaries to better their team.
If you look at their offseason acquisitions : Connelly & Franson= sub par for a non-playoff team.

Old
07-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post

Again, Toronto won the deal, but they willingly took on the salary of an injured player for 2 more seasons for a 4th D man.
I still dont get my people have trouble connecting the dots on this one. TO is desperate & will eat salaries to better their team.
If you look at their offseason acquisitions : Connelly & Franson= sub par for a non-playoff team.
Franson has some potential.

Old
07-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post

If only Molson would care and swallow some big contracts

Old
07-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Andy

Quote:
If only Molson would care and swallow some big contracts
Considering they were making a pitch to get Richards, I'd say that they are willing to spend money. So this whole theory about how the Molsons are cheap needs to end.

I know Habs4Life that you were just joking but I took it as the opportunity to just speak my mind of that whole issue which seems to have corrupted many minds.

Old
07-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Considering they were making a pitch to get Richards, I'd say that they are willing to spend money. So this whole theory about how the Molsons are cheap needs to end.

I know Habs4Life that you were just joking but I took it as the opportunity to just speak my mind of that whole issue which seems to have corrupted many minds.
We can only hope, but on this board it most probably never will, unfortunately

Old
07-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Gainey#1*

at people saying the Molson's are cheap...

Old
07-04-2011, 09:39 AM
bipolarhabfan

Heatley is on the move again. I guess his two goals a playoffs is not good enough . I think, if healthy, Havlat will put up better numbers in San Jose. He can skate and actually has some semblance of a heart!

Old
07-04-2011, 10:02 AM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:

Lombardi has had too many concussions, so his contract isn't insurable, which means Nashville was going to have pay out the last two years of his contract in full, because insurance wasn't going to pay for it and teams aren't allowed to buy out an injured player.

It sounds like Lombardi's career is done. The Leafs will put him on LTIR and not lose any cap space because of him, and they will pay out the $7m Lombardi is still owed on his contract. The Leafs have money to burn. In return for this, they got a very good young defenceman.

For Nashville, it looks like Jonathan Blum is ready for the NHL, and I'm sure Ryan Ellis will get a long look at training camp. Preds could still use another D now though, because Brett Lebda sucks. They also still need to spend $10,779,167m just to reach the cap floor, but at least that money will now be spent on serviceable players rather than Lombardi.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:16 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
Lombardi has had too many concussions, so his contract isn't insurable, which means Nashville was going to have pay out the last two years of his contract in full, because insurance wasn't going to pay for it and teams aren't allowed to buy out an injured player.

It sounds like Lombardi's career is done. The Leafs will put him on LTIR and not lose any cap space because of him, and they will pay out the $7m Lombardi is still owed on his contract. The Leafs have money to burn. In return for this, they got a very good young defenceman.

For Nashville, it looks like Jonathan Blum is ready for the NHL, and I'm sure Ryan Ellis will get a long look at training camp. Preds could still use another D now though, because Brett Lebda sucks. They also still need to spend $10,779,167m just to reach the cap floor, but at least that money will now be spent on serviceable players rather than Lombardi.

Eh, Nashville, we have Gomez and Spacek here. Your 10 million would be absorbed.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Eh, Nashville, we have Gomez and Spacek here. Your 10 million would be absorbed.
They need to sign Weber and others, doubt they have much of a problem reaching the cap floor

Old
07-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
at people saying the Molson's are cheap...
I have a hard time understanding how anybody can say that someone who just spent half a billion dollars to purchase a team is cheap..

I mean, if they had financial troubles and needed to cut cost, I get it, but they wouldn't have bought the team if that were the case. They also would cut cost a lot more.

Old
07-04-2011, 11:39 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I have a hard time understanding how anybody can say that someone who just spent half a billion dollars to purchase a team is cheap..

I mean, if they had financial troubles and needed to cut cost, I get it, but they wouldn't have bought the team if that were the case. They also would cut cost a lot more.
It's not "cheap" per se, it's that other owners are willing to do more in that money is never a factor ie. Rangers, Flyers and now Sabres.

Old
07-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
It's not "cheap" per se, it's that other owners are willing to do more in that money is never a factor ie. Rangers, Flyers and now Sabres.
Didn't the Canadiens spend to cap last year? Also, their payroll far exceeded what the cap was.

Also with the recent news confirmed by many that the Habs were bidding for Richards I really cannot see how you can make that argument.

Old
07-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Protest the Hero

He thinks because the Rangers constantly overpay for people, then subsequently buy them out/bury them in the minors, that they have better management than us.

Would you really want to pay Ville Leino $4.5m a season?

Closed Thread