HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Brad Richards (9 Years, $6.67M Per)

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
People who are worrying about the NMC in the last 3 years are nuts. There IS valid concern for the NMC when he turns 35 or so though. If he does decline he isn't going to walk from that much $. I would say richards already has his retirement date written in on his calendar. He's not playing for 3 years at a million each. This is different from drury. He was getting 5 mil in ONE year. That's a lot to walk from.

I would say richards is retiring after the 6th year even if he doesn't decline. He's not going to play for basically free.
he might depending on how much he really wants to play. If he really loved the game that much and was able to play at a high level he would play a season or 2 making a mil

Old
07-04-2011, 05:50 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
he might depending on how much he really wants to play. If he really loved the game that much and was able to play at a high level he would play a season or 2 making a mil
I could also see him "not reporting" the rangers suspend him/void his contract and he becomes a Free agent, thus being able to sign a new contract, which will likely pay him more than a million a year.

Old
07-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
I could also see him "not reporting" the rangers suspend him/void his contract and he becomes a Free agent, thus being able to sign a new contract, which will likely pay him more than a million a year.
yeah thats a possibility

Old
07-04-2011, 06:03 AM
cenas*

Every goal by Brad Richards in the 2010/2011 regular season.. a lot of goals on the rush and from the point on the pp.

Old
07-04-2011, 07:51 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
You should post on the main boards more. Every time I see someone try to start an argument with you I just look forward to seeing them get utterly crushed. Seriously, you make dumb fans look like imbeciles.

Whenever I see anyone mention Gomez I just wait for you to come in and crush their hopes and dreams.
I don't always agree with Sting, but, I do love when he brings the smackdown on the less informed. One of my favorite times was a few years when he and I were doubleteaming someone on the merits() of Gomez, and in the middle of it, he congratulated me on a milestone post.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:32 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
You should post on the main boards more. Every time I see someone try to start an argument with you I just look forward to seeing them get utterly crushed. Seriously, you make dumb fans look like imbeciles.

Whenever I see anyone mention Gomez I just wait for you to come in and crush their hopes and dreams.
Haha, seriously. Sting and Jonathan are like our secret weapons on the main board.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:36 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I would go on the main board more often if I knew Sting was there to embarrass half the people that post there.

I think some Devils fans need some schooling on cap circumvention and Brad Richards .
Omg, they started whining about losing their 1st again. Bunch of babies.

Here's hoping Parise goes to UFA next year

Old
07-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Important to remember that Richards has never hit 30 goals in an NHL season before.

What we can hope is that he becomes something of a Nylander to Jagr for Gaborik. and in that line, it allows the LW to become substantially more productive than he has been before.

If we could get, say, 90 goals out of a Wolski-Richards-Gaborik line that would be big.

Call it 60 goals from Dubi-AA-Cally, 45 goals from Avery-Stepan-fedotenko, and 25 from rupp-Boyle-Prust, and ideally we have 220 goals just from our forward unit.

We had 233 goals last season. I think we should be pushing for 245 this year, ideally.

3 goals a game with Henrik in net should be good for a good record.

07-04-2011, 10:09 AM
DarthSather99

Gotta love Richards even more for this......

Quote:
Now we are learning that the only reason Brad Richards didn't waive his no trade to come to the Rangers during the season was that he didn't want to deplete the Ranger resources and wanted all of the good young players to still be there when he arrived! This is nigh on amazing! What's more, his agent, Pat Morris, told Buffalo radio that the reason Brad didn't accept a lesser deal for his negotiating rights in June was because he thought the Rangers might need that piece at the trade deadline to help improve the Rangers.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/

Old
07-04-2011, 10:13 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post

Is there a legitimate source for that? I listened to the conference call and while I heard them Messier part, if it's true about Richards not waiving the NMC to keep our assets in tact . . . just wow!

Old
07-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:

I have never heard that from a player before. Very impressive, and gotta love how open he is about it. Usually players seem well more candid on this stuff. If that quote or link is real than big props to Richards for seeing the big picture here in NY.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:33 AM
AJRanger

I'd want to hear that from someone else before I believe it, but that's great if true. We got a great guy as well as a great player.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:34 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
I'd want to hear that from someone else before I believe it, but that's great if true. We got a great guy as well as a great player.
Agreed. Strange that a random blog is the only place this report has appeared.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Levitate

Sounds like BS, I'd like to see some legit backing up of that. I've seen some people speculate about it and tend to think that people are taking that speculation and running with it

Old
07-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by asakuj View Post

Every goal by Brad Richards in the 2010/2011 regular season.. a lot of goals on the rush and from the point on the pp.
Whoever made this, I wish they would just buy a song for 99 cents off iTunes and throw it in there... I can't watch this video with no sound. ITS IMPOSSIBLE

Old
07-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Amerksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Sounds like BS, I'd like to see some legit backing up of that. I've seen some people speculate about it and tend to think that people are taking that speculation and running with it
Sounds very much like BS, and definitely something Richards would/should not openly admit to.

And to be honest, I don't see this type of behaviour as praise-worthy, and probably no-one on the Rangers would think so if one of their players would hold to their NTC for the the sole reason of helping a rival team. As long as you're playing for a certain team, your allegiance should be for that team and not to any of the others.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:51 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerksonian View Post
Sounds very much like BS, and definitely something Richards would/should not openly admit to.

And to be honest, I don't see this type of behaviour as praise-worthy, and probably no-one on the Rangers would think so if one of their players would hold to their NTC for the the sole reason of helping a rival team. As long as you're playing for a certain team, your allegiance should be for that team and not to any of the others.
Disagree vehemently. The player earned the right to the NMC, and is entitled to use it however he sees fit. He is not obligated, morally or legally, to waive it and not pursue free agency.

Old
07-04-2011, 11:01 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Disagree vehemently. The player earned the right to the NMC, and is entitled to use it however he sees fit. He is not obligated, morally or legally, to waive it and not pursue free agency.
no he's not obligated, but think of the reaction if it was the other way around and one of our players did it. heck many of us sat here for months saying that drury should 'do whats best for the team' and retire. so its unfair to turn around and say a player shouldn't do whats best for his team when its another team.

Old
07-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I heard he's giving back all his salary to homeless orphans and the NYR fanclub !!!

When are you guys making him a saint?

Saint Brad

Old
07-04-2011, 11:10 AM
CM PUNK

found the pat morris interview

http://wgr550.com/topic/play_window....udioId=5363918

at the 11:10 mark they ask him about why he didn't waive his no trade. and morris mentions that if the team he goes to gives up a 2nd thats an asset that could be used to win the cup. mentioning boston getting chris kelly for a 2nd.

he was talking about buffalo on a buffalo radio station as a hypothetical.

Old
07-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
That may be a possibility if the rangers are in position to win another cup for year 7 of his contract. But there's no way he's going to stick around if he declines by then and especially if the team is pressuring him to retire or in some other way get the contract terminated.

Btw, I think this is actually the most blatant salary drop off in the league now. I don't think anyone else's contract goes straight from 7 to 1 mil lol. He's the highest paid player in the league next year too I believe.

The whole thing about Richards trying to save us assets I kind of doubt it was just that. He had legit negotiations with other teams, not to mention if we traded for his rights he would most likely have gotten a smaller contract. Unless there's an interview with those words coming out of Richards mouth I don't buy it

Old
07-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asakuj View Post

Maybe just 1 of his 28 goals was a garbage goal. He gets all his goals off the rush or from the point or the perimeter , I would definitely get Dubinsky on him and Gabbys line to make sure we have someone always digging up their rebounds.

Old
07-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Btw, I think this is actually the most blatant salary drop off in the league now. I don't think anyone else's contract goes straight from 7 to 1 mil lol. He's the highest paid player in the league next year too I believe.
It is the most blatant drop, but Kovalchuk's is still the most blatant at extending a contract for a lonnnnng time in order to drop the cap hit. Kovalchuk makes over $10 mill per year for 6 years of his contract but still manages to get the overall cap hit down to $6.6 mill

Old
07-04-2011, 12:23 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

That's what I've always felt a wise athlete should do...but most never seem to be smart enough to either figure it out, or care. Great to hear someone gets it though.

Richards is the anti-Carmelo.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:32 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
That's what I've always felt a wise athlete should do...but most never seem to be smart enough to either figure it out, or care. Great to hear someone gets it though.

Richards is the anti-Carmelo.
I had the same initial thought, but the anticipated (correctly) NBA lockout really made the Melo situation quite different. If Melo did not sign a new contract before the lockout, his contract would be completely up in the air. In contrast, Richards knew exactly what would be available if he just held on until July 1st. Melo had no idea what a new CBA would bring.

Closed Thread