HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So so so here we go: Are We Playoff Bound Now?

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2011, 09:46 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
If Reimer and Aulie struggle we're in a lot of trouble IMO.
Aulie?? That's bizarre. The Leafs have added Lilles and Frason and you think the season hangs on Aulie?

The keys (assuming the Leafs are mostly done, which I don't think is true) are goaltending, Phanuef and the second line. Generally young teams get better. This is a young team.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

If Reimer picks up where he left off and Gusty plays a decent backup, we are a lock for the playoffs.

Goaltending will tell. We are otherwise good enough.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:51 AM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

Our Goaltending is key, if Reimer plays like last season I think we have a great chance, but other factors include if Connolly is healthy enough to play at least 70+ games, the PP and PK actually doing what there supposed to do, the 2nd line clicking like last season and seeing them all at least produce 20+ goals and guys like Dion play like they did in there earlier seasons.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Reimer is the key to everything now.

I know PK will be better with the addition of Connolly, Liles, new assistant coaches.

PP should be better because we have a more than one option now. Liles/Franson can both dish the puck and Franson has a hard shot just like Phaneuf but the vids I have seen, his shots stay VERY low so it's a great advantage.

So yeah if Reimer picks up where he left off we're as high as 6th or as low as 8th. If he doesn't we're back @ 10th.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Rinzler

We've improved significantly from last season already. We have a very good chance at the playoffs this year. This is the first time since the lockout that we've had a legitimate shot.

Our top 6 is very good and can keep pace with most teams in the league, our D is absolutely where it needs to be and our goal tending is shaping up to be very good as well. We need to stay healthy.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:57 AM
sirreef

It all depends on the net situation.

After Lupul & Reimer came on board, the scoring slumps ended and we got solid net minding. Solid enough to be the seventh best team in the NHL after the break. That's pretty damn good hockey.

I think if Reims duplicates ... we make the playoffs and maybe the second round.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:59 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakicisgod View Post
1. WAS
2. PHI
3. BOS
4. TBL
5. PIT
6. NYR
7. BUF
8. ___

8th looks like the only spot we'll be in contention for...

TOR, MON, NJD, CAR

FLA, WPG, OTT

The east is getting TIGHT, we need significant improvements to make the playoffs IMO. We need a consistent game changer up front...
Philly is being over-rated. You don't lose your two best players and get better. Richards and Carter are huge holes that haven't been filled. A 39 year old Jagr isn't enough. Vorachek and Schenn are nice editions but I have a hard time believing Vorachek will add more than Leino. Schenn is also young. Versteeg and Carcillo were also lost but that should be addition by subtraction.

Pronger is older and Philly's tenders played very well in the regular season last year. I expect them to drop. If they faulter out of the gate -- look out -- all hell will break loose.

What happens in Tampa if Stamkos is gone?

Buffalo lost Connolly and added Leino -- lateral move. Erhoff is good but his soft play and -13 in the playoffs is a concern. Let's remember his 50 points last year were a career year playing on the leagues best powerplay. Lots of excitement with the new owner but I'm unsure how Erhoff translates into instant contender status.

Boston will suffer from the Stanley Cup hang-over and nobody will take them lightly.

Guess what I am trying to say is that other than Washington and Pittsburg (if healthy) I don't see a lot of sure things in the east. It will be close to the wire like last year AND like every year there will be plenty of surprises.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:05 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

our top line still pales considerably to at least 8 teams

right now we'd finish 9-10th

Old
07-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Cmillz

I am quite confident our roster isn't even set yet...lets stop this premature speculation and be a little more patient kids.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Philly is being over-rated.
I don't see them as a Cup contender or anything, but there's no way they fall out of the play-offs.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:09 AM
shully
Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFAN4LIFE View Post
If James Reimer is our #1 goalie going into the season and not Jonas, I fully believe that the Leafs will make the playoffs. The same could be said about last year had Reimer been called up a few weeks earlier.
I don't think management is even considering Gus as starting over Reimer, so by your reasoning the Leafs will make the playoffs for sure

Old
07-04-2011, 10:12 AM
sirreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
our top line still pales considerably to at least 8 teams

right now we'd finish 9-10th
Yeah, I agree, but it depends what line is the first line?

Kule - Grabs - MacA was pretty dirty. So, if you consider the Kessel line to be line 1, our line 2 might be among the tops in the league. 3 60 point guys that all play a solid two way game ... that ain't too shabby for line 2.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Drew75

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Philly is being over-rated. You don't lose your two best players and get better. Richards and Carter are huge holes that haven't been filled. A 39 year old Jagr isn't enough. Vorachek and Schenn are nice editions but I have a hard time believing Vorachek will add more than Leino. Schenn is also young. Versteeg and Carcillo were also lost but that should be addition by subtraction.

Pronger is older and Philly's tenders played very well in the regular season last year. I expect them to drop. If they faulter out of the gate -- look out -- all hell will break loose.

What happens in Tampa if Stamkos is gone?

Buffalo lost Connolly and added Leino -- lateral move. Erhoff is good but his soft play and -13 in the playoffs is a concern. Let's remember his 50 points last year were a career year playing on the leagues best powerplay. Lots of excitement with the new owner but I'm unsure how Erhoff translates into instant contender status.

Boston will suffer from the Stanley Cup hang-over and nobody will take them lightly.

Guess what I am trying to say is that other than Washington and Pittsburg (if healthy) I don't see a lot of sure things in the east. It will be close to the wire like last year AND like every year there will be plenty of surprises.
This.

You can't just look and say this team or that team is a lock. Firstly - a team on paper vs reality are two very different things. On paper, we weren't a lottery team in 2010, but we ended up there. On paper - the Rangers sign the big talent every year, and then it doesn't work like they expect .... every year.

Also - it's not about a #1C for the Leafs either. I know everyone wants to get excited about acquiring one - but the fact is if you get solid goaltending, good special teams, balanced scoring and compete every night - you have a shot at the playoffs. The beauty of hockey is that during the season it's completely a team game - one guy doesn't make a difference unless it's a goalie having an "out of this world" season - and that doesn't happen often.

We have more depth now than every before. The internal competition for jobs and ice time will be more intense than ever before. Burke will only add to that depth in the next two months, and who knows what late January rabbit he can pull out of his hat when teams pick which direction they're heading and need to make changes.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:13 AM
sirreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I don't see them as a Cup contender or anything, but there's no way they fall out of the play-offs.
I agree. Their style of hockey is more like the Bruins and is based off of solid defense. The goaltending will improve under Bryz (although I think he is overrated and a product of a similar style of hockey in the Desert), so I see them making it again....

but I still think they're being overrated.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:15 AM
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =

This season depends on
Lupul - Connolly - Kessel

+

Reimer

If our first line starts playing like our first line I feel we have a good shot at maybe the 6th or 7th seed.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Dutch77
Predictable..

If Reimer has a repeat and the new additions bring something to the table I can't see why the 8th seed is a stretch (homer opinion)

Old
07-04-2011, 10:22 AM
crediblepest
Bern-YAY!

No chance in HELL Philly finishes in 2nd this year, there roster IMHO has gotten worse. At least for a few more years.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:24 AM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreement View Post
do you think that we have what it takes to make the playoffs with this team?

yes / no?

why?

why not?

to me i'm only unsure about our Goaltending situation. i would much rather a good vet backup than The Monster in that position. if Gus fails like he did last year then all we have are unproven AHL goalies to take his place. i am confident that Burke will rectify this if something goes sour. needless to say i worry a little bit about Reimer's 2nd season.
This is the answer to your question. If Reimer plays well we're in. If he flops well you know.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:25 AM
SkateSave

Going to echo the emphasis on net here. It all starts from the back, and the leafs had one of the best records with Reimer net. If he maintains and improves upon his form from last season its going to be huge. It seems as if the leafs since the lockout have always had a very good defence 'on paper', and yet we always give up a ton of goals. Its because we never had the goaltending that Toronto needs. The leafs only do well with stellar goaltending. Without stellar goaltending its not going to work.

One thing I am optimistic about is the grit and 2 way ness of our forwards. I think Burke is looking for a style that just swamps and bogs down the competition, from the goalie on wards.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
If Reimer picks up where he left off and Gusty plays a decent backup, we are a lock for the playoffs.

Goaltending will tell. We are otherwise good enough.
I agree it will all come down to Goal Tending, we have plugged the holes from last season, with Connolly as the #1 center and possibly Lombardi if he gets healthy, our defence has improved with the additions of Liles and Franson and with these new players, we have upgraded our special teams both PP and PK

I believe we still have one position to fill, that being a 4th line center, with these upgrades we should make the play-offs and once you make the play-offs who knows, how far you can go.

Will we win the cup, not likely but we could turn a lot of heads and advance beyond the first round.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:29 AM
nick942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
we didn't make any major changes, so I don't see us making the play-offs

even if we do, we're just a first round victim anyway
This team doesn't need a major change to make the playoffs. Burke added two centers (Connolly is a play maker for Kessel) and two defense men who should be able to improve our defensive scoring and PP. Add into that the fact that all of out young guys are getting better chemistry and experience and I think this team has improved enough to make the playoffs. Also there is a good chance we will now have reliable goal tending for the whole season instead of just half the season.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:37 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreement View Post
do you think that we have what it takes to make the playoffs with this team?

yes / no?

why?

why not?

to me i'm only unsure about our Goaltending situation. i would much rather a good vet backup than The Monster in that position. if Gus fails like he did last year then all we have are unproven AHL goalies to take his place. i am confident that Burke will rectify this if something goes sour. needless to say i worry a little bit about Reimer's 2nd season.
Maybe

Because the season hasn't started yet.

Because the season hasn't started yet.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:47 AM
tranquility15

I'm calling the Stastny trade.

Grabo+Komi+2nd+3rd+ Colborne

or something similar were going to have to over pay for him. I think he is burkes dream player far more then Richard's.

Kuli makes players better and Connolly makes Grabo expendable. Works in both our favours. We have a first line centre for years

when Connolly gets too old Kadri will replace him we keep our first rounder and lose Komi.

They get a decent centre/winger some picks to make them feel less stupid about the goalie trade and a prospect that could help in as early as a year.

And yes we will be a playoff team

Old
07-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick942 View Post
This team doesn't need a major change to make the playoffs. Burke added two centers (Connolly is a play maker for Kessel) and two defense men who should be able to improve our defensive scoring and PP. Add into that the fact that all of out young guys are getting better chemistry and experience and I think this team has improved enough to make the playoffs. Also there is a good chance we will now have reliable goal tending for the whole season instead of just half the season.
Tim Connolly is not a legit first line center. Lombadri may or may not play. John-Michael Liles is no better than our old puck-mover. Franson is a good pick-up, but he's only a slight upgrade on the guy he will replace.

Only minor improvement have been made to a team that missed the play-offs by 10 points.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:53 AM
LeafsTFC

Yeah you also have to think with the Rangers, that Richards signing only really pays dividends if Gaborik remains healthy. If Gaborik gets another season-ending injury, who will Richards have to pass to?

Closed Thread