HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Reebok (RBK/Jofa) always been the most protective?

Old
06-14-2011, 01:12 AM
night-timer

vCash: 500
Reebok (RBK/Jofa) always been the most protective?

I am generally of the opinion that RBK offers the best protective gear, mainly due to its sheer popularity in the NHL. Has Bauer or CCM or anyone else ever matched them for safety and protection? I am talking shoulder, shin and elbow pads here.

Comments and opinions welcome.

I don't much like the look of the RBK equipment, but protection-wise, I still buy it.

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 03:34 AM
Thepandamancan

I'm a Bauer guy, mostly cause it's what fits me best, but I broke that rule for my shoulder pads. I went with reebok cause it was cheaper and more protective than the one model up that Bauer offered.

I know I'm guilty of buying stuff for the look, but it still strikes me odd that what elbow pads and shin guards look like matters. No one's ever gonna see it cause it's covered up by socks and a jersey haha.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 04:27 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Just due to the cost of getting new gear as opposed to used I haven't gone all RBK for protective gear, but I would if I had the money (except maybe gloves).

I got RBK 5K elbow pads (08 or 09 model) and I'm fairly certain that they saved me from a broken arm. Took the hardest slapshot I've ever been hit by on the forearm area. Had a giant, nasty welt and it was a bit hard to move for a day or two, but I'm almost positive that I'd have had a broken arm with lesser pads. Things are tanks! Always on the lookout for RBK protective gear on sale. As good as my elbow pads are, I've never tried out RBK's high end elbow pads and I'd like to upgrade to those if I could find a good sale.

Though I will say, I got CCM V08 pants (09 model) last year for like $60, and those have been pretty awesome protection as well. Sometimes I don't even notice when someone hits me with a shot!

Outside of CCM/RBK I don't really trust the protection level. My mistrust might be unfounded though.

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 08:49 AM
AIREAYE

They're popular, that's about it. Unless you are constantly playing high-level contact hockey, there is no real need to pursue them. Of course unless you're a gear ***** like some of us, the having some first generation RBK (blue&white) and Jofa gear would be cool.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:48 AM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
They're popular, that's about it. Unless you are constantly playing high-level contact hockey, there is no real need to pursue them. Of course unless you're a gear ***** like some of us, the having some first generation RBK (blue&white) and Jofa gear would be cool.
+1. I love the white/blue gear.

ONT. Rebook gear are very protective. Bauer is good to, except for their pants. They're ****. At least the Supreme line pants.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:07 AM
ponder

At the level most of us play at, any mid/high end protective gear is plenty protective, with the possible exception of some of the more stripped down pants. Buy for comfort/fit and price, I wouldn't be too worried about how protective your gear is unless it's clearly stripped down, almost everything on the market is overkill protection-wise for most of us.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Thepandamancan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
At the level most of us play at, any mid/high end protective gear is plenty protective, with the possible exception of some of the more stripped down pants. Buy for comfort/fit and price, I wouldn't be too worried about how protective your gear is unless it's clearly stripped down, almost everything on the market is overkill protection-wise for most of us.
If you listen to Don Cherry's rants on HNIC, all equipment is overkill protection wise for even professional hockey players.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:16 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan View Post
If you listen to Don Cherry's rants on HNIC, all equipment is overkill protection wise for even professional hockey players.
I suggest you don't.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
ONT. Rebook gear are very protective. Bauer is good to, except for their pants. They're ****. At least the Supreme line pants.
Agreed, some of my teammates have those Supreme pants, and they say that they are horrible. I've got Vapor's, and they aren't the best either. Although I don't like CCM gear very much, they might have the best pants in terms of protection.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:13 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
Agreed, some of my teammates have those Supreme pants, and they say that they are horrible. I've got Vapor's, and they aren't the best either. Although I don't like CCM gear very much, they might have the best pants in terms of protection.
Nope, a Fit03 is horrible because it's an entry level pant. You can't just say Supremes/Vapor/Bauer are crap because you haven't had experience with a lot of their line.

The only good things I've heard about CCM pants are the V06 and 08s, but they don't make them anymore.

@ bp spec : same thing, you can't just lump and entire brand's multi-year lineup of gear into one opinion. The quality of Reebok gear has generally decreased since the Jofa days. Get what fits and what feels best, simple as that; don't worry about brand.

Old
07-05-2011, 02:49 AM
stevenest
Rookie User

Quote:
I love the blue and white RBK its awesome.

stevenest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:13 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Nope, a Fit03 is horrible because it's an entry level pant. You can't just say Supremes/Vapor/Bauer are crap because you haven't had experience with a lot of their line.

The only good things I've heard about CCM pants are the V06 and 08s, but they don't make them anymore.
Usually all the entry level pants are bad, no matter who's the manufacturer.

Well, I haven't heard many positive things about the Bauer pants, but I love other Bauer gear.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:30 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
Usually all the entry level pants are bad, no matter who's the manufacturer.

Well, I haven't heard many positive things about the Bauer pants, but I love other Bauer gear.
Haha that's true, but I'm in One35s now (entry level) and they do about fine for me; just goes to show.

Tackla all the way guys