HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign Brad Richards (9 Years, $6.67M Per)

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2011, 11:39 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I had the same initial thought, but the anticipated (correctly) NBA lockout really made the Melo situation quite different. If Melo did not sign a new contract before the lockout, his contract would be completely up in the air. In contrast, Richards knew exactly what would be available if he just held on until July 1st. Melo had no idea what a new CBA would bring.
Yes, there was the chance he might lose a bit of cash on a max deal in the new CBA. And I guess it's easy for me to say I'd take 20M/year instead of 23M/year if it meant not blowing up the entire team to accommodate me. But you do have to wonder a bit about guys like that...yes, money is money...but at some point you have to say I'm pretty damned rich anyway, I'd also love to win, no?

Old
07-04-2011, 11:39 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Savard's contract uses the CBA drop as Richards. Exactly 1/2. $7M in salary in each of the first 2 years. $3.5M drop is allowed. Between years 4 and 5. $5M to $1.5M

$7M
$7M
$6.5M
$5M
$1.5M
$525,000
$525,000

Old
07-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
I'd want to hear that from someone else before I believe it, but that's great if true. We got a great guy as well as a great player.
Newsday also had something about it:
Quote:
The Rangers reportedly wanted to trade for Richards' rights before he hit the open market, but they would have had to surrender young assets. The Prince Edward Island native, who had a no-movement clause, blocked all requests to waive it, knowing that his eventual new team would be stronger if they kept those players.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ards-1.3000903

Old
07-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Tawnos

^^

Which isn't the same as saying "Richards blocked the Rangers trade request because he already knew he would be a Ranger."

In other words, that's not specifically about the Rangers.

Old
07-04-2011, 11:50 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
People who are worrying about the NMC in the last 3 years are nuts. There IS valid concern for the NMC when he turns 35 or so though. If he does decline he isn't going to walk from that much $. I would say richards already has his retirement date written in on his calendar. He's not playing for 3 years at a million each. This is different from drury. He was getting 5 mil in ONE year. That's a lot to walk from.

I would say richards is retiring after the 6th year even if he doesn't decline. He's not going to play for basically free.
The bolded is contradictory....

Old
07-04-2011, 11:59 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
^^

Which isn't the same as saying "Richards blocked the Rangers trade request because he already knew he would be a Ranger."

In other words, that's not specifically about the Rangers.
yeah it wasn't about the rangers, just hypothetical about any team and assuming that the team that traded for him would also sign him.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:02 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
The bolded is contradictory....
slightly but i think he meant that the concern is years 5 & 6 when he's still making big $$ would be near impossible to move, if his play drops, and no chance of him retiring...once you get thru those 6 years though the risk drops due to the amount of $$ he'd get paid, that opens more options.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:02 PM
68Forever

Will the addition of Richards push Kreider into maybve joining the Rangers next year? as Richards is already 31 and the Rangers need is a game breaking LW , which Chris Kreider could be, especially with a center like Brad

Old
07-04-2011, 12:07 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Forever View Post
Will the addition of Richards push Kreider into maybve joining the Rangers next year? as Richards is already 31 and the Rangers need is a game breaking LW , which Chris Kreider could be, especially with a center like Brad
Can Kreider make the jump from NCAA to NHL? Would be nice if he could.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

I know Kreider wanted to go back to get his education, but I REALLY am starting to wonder if he regrets his decision to go back to school after the Rangers signed Richards. I would've loved to see him up with Richards and Gabby.

I am starting to wonder if he is regretting his decision.

Personally, I don't think he is because he WANTS his education/degree, but am I regretting it, yes...

PS: I don't mind Kreider going back, just wish he didn't, so don't jump on me as a Kreider hater.

07-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Maybe Christian Thomas gets a shot to play with Richards n Gabby.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
He's too small and is a 50/50 to make the team in the first place. Kreider is the best fit for the top line LW and to be honest, I think when Glenny says he won't trade for a LW, I think it's cuz Torts is probably riding his ass and telling him not to trade anyone and to wait for Kreider next year.

But Kreider's size, his ****ing speed, and his incredible snipe is the best. He is the ideal perfect fit for our top line, I really am starting to loathe him going back to school.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
He's too small and is a 50/50 to make the team in the first place. Kreider is the best fit for the top line LW and to be honest, I think when Glenny says he won't trade for a LW, I think it's cuz Torts is probably riding his ass and telling him not to trade anyone and to wait for Kreider next year.

But Kreider's size, his ****ing speed, and his incredible snipe is the best. He is the ideal perfect fit for our top line, I really am starting to loathe him going back to school.
Martin St Louis is small and he is a first line player.

Size isn't everything. Kredier does have more potential with his size, strength and agility but right now Thomas is the safer bet to jump into the NHL and can become a very good player.

To be honest I see Dubinsky becoming our 1st line LW. He can handle it and will probably get 60-70 points this year playing with Richards n Gabby

Old
07-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Martin St Louis is small and he is a first line player.

Size isn't everything. Kredier does have more potential with his size, strength and agility but right now Thomas is the safer bet to jump into the NHL and can become a very good player.

To be honest I see Dubinsky becoming our 1st line LW. He can handle it and will probably get 60-70 points this year playing with Richards n Gabby
Yes, Martin St Louis is a first line player, and a helluva player as well, but to compare an unproven prospect to St Louis just doesn't make sense. If he makes the team and plays 2nd/3rd line and rips **** up, then we can start the comparisons, but as of now, even though I believe in him as much as the next guy, he is just an OHL player, and that's it.

I'd love Thomas on the first line as much as the next guy too, but it's because of his size that I wouldn't want him there. Not a diss of him, but Richards and Gaborik aren't "tough" guys which is why Dubinsky is such a good fit on that line, he adds grit, skill, hard work, and size, he opens up the ice for the other 2. Thomas can't do that and our 1st line would be too weak, physically.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Doubt he'll become an NHL player.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
.....I just read that and

Old
07-04-2011, 01:31 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
I think this is a perfect role for Dubi playing with BR & Gabs.

I envision Kreider being on a different line to spread out our speed/sniper's

Old
07-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
No doubt about it that Duby is the best fit on the top line, but the problem is that if we put him on the top line, that ruins the 2nd line. Callahan, Arty, and Duby have SO MUCH chemistry and that ruins it. We can't afford to have Duby on the top line, it would make us another one line team again, IMO. The scoring has to be more spread out.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Look at most of BR goals. Look at the transition he and Eriksson use. Do we have a player like him? Could Gabby and or Dubi give the puck to Brad? Richards plays a give and go style where HE needs the puck to dish it off.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Nah if Wolski doesn't get bought out, he is going to get an extended chance on that line imo

Old
07-04-2011, 01:41 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
slightly but i think he meant that the concern is years 5 & 6 when he's still making big $$ would be near impossible to move, if his play drops, and no chance of him retiring...once you get thru those 6 years though the risk drops due to the amount of $$ he'd get paid, that opens more options.
But if he's got a NMC, you can't even move him unless he consents. Player holds all the cards under these circumstances. Don't like that part of it, personally.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post
Look at most of BR goals. Look at the transition he and Eriksson use. Do we have a player like him? Could Gabby and or Dubi give the puck to Brad? Richards plays a give and go style where HE needs the puck to dish it off.
Well Gabby is a great play maker himself which is often overlooked because he is a great sniper...

Dubinsky is the perfect and i mean PERFECT player to play on that line. He would be the energy and forechecker and player that goes to the net all the time while Gabby and Richards play with the other teams defense and get good shots on net while Dubinsky bangs in rebound and causes havok in front.

There is no way a player like Wolski would be a good fit on a line with them.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:45 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post

I think he's got some developing to do before he's ready for any 1st line duty with world class NHL players.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
Really?

Old
07-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 2000
Continue here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=943483

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Closed Thread