HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers D

Old
07-04-2011, 11:15 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
There have been many a thread on this. Not every team starts 3 LH and 3 RH D. We have more pressing needs than simply obtaining a RHD...after all, it's not a video game. Furthermore, if we do go out and get another D, it will be for an experienced vet. There's more youth on this D currently than just about anywhere else.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:18 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
There have been many a thread on this. Not every team starts 3 LH and 3 RH D. We have more pressing needs than simply obtaining a RHD...after all, it's not a video game.
Wtf does this have to do with a video game? I'm not posting trading wolski, EC, & a 2nd for Iginla.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
It would be in a video game that it would be more practical to play defensemen on their off sides when they are uncomfortable with it... not the other way around.

If Pashnin is indeed a RD, then he may get a better look than I had thought. Kundratek the consensus seems to be that he is still a year away.

07-04-2011, 11:20 AM
satrabyk

Why draft young D if your not comfortable in playing them. Listen Stall and Girardi are no longer young in this league, Sauer is young but plays well beyond his years, Mcdonaugh is a bit of a question mark imo, than you have 2 spots that can be filled by any of the young D we have if not you take Eminger back.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:29 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

They should bring Eminger back no matter what.

Depth and insurance incase of injury.

Eminger is a solid 6th/7th defenseman.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:39 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

I agree, I'd take him as our 7th dman easily.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:40 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Why draft young D if your not comfortable in playing them. Listen Stall and Girardi are no longer young in this league, Sauer is young but plays well beyond his years, Mcdonaugh is a bit of a question mark imo, than you have 2 spots that can be filled by any of the young D we have if not you take Eminger back.
Nobody is saying don't play them but they should earn a spot, someone mentioned earlier in this thread that VTank needs to work on his skating after someone penciled him into the 6/7 slot. I like our defense but it's the hardest position to step into, lets bring the young guys in slowly with a vet to help them get over the inevitable mistakes that come with learning to play in the bigs...nobody is advocating signing a vet long term to rob a spot from a kid.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:11 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Agreed.

Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
MDZ - Erixon
Eminger

is the D corps I expect to be on the ice in Sweden.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:14 PM
broadwayblue

Do we have any inside source accounts on MDZ and whether he has put his game together? Would be great if he was ready to make the team out of camp.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
There have been many a thread on this. Not every team starts 3 LH and 3 RH D. We have more pressing needs than simply obtaining a RHD...after all, it's not a video game. Furthermore, if we do go out and get another D, it will be for an experienced vet. There's more youth on this D currently than just about anywhere else.
not necessary 3 left-handed D and 3 right handed D, but the defensemen need to be comfortable on the sides they are playing on. that suggests that the next addition to the D will have to be comfortable on the right side.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:17 PM
92hatchattack

Idk, I think out D is made up of a bunch of Young studs. Staal is 100% a veteran stud dman already. Sather is building a team that is going to be competative for many many years, and our D core looks great imo

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Do we have any inside source accounts on MDZ and whether he has put his game together? Would be great if he was ready to make the team out of camp.
what? is he playing somewhere we don't know about?

Old
07-04-2011, 12:21 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Agreed.

Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
MDZ - Erixon
Eminger

is the D corps I expect to be on the ice in Sweden.
This team needs MDZ to be better but unless he shows something in camp I'm not ready to give him a spot.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:22 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
what? is he playing somewhere we don't know about?
I'm basically asking how he has progressed from the time he was sent down until the end of the season. I haven't read much about him over the past 6 months. I know a lot of people have already penciled him in the starting lineup this year...but is that realistic? I hope it is.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
I'm basically asking how he has progressed from the time he was sent down until the end of the season. I haven't read much about him over the past 6 months. I know a lot of people have already penciled him in the starting lineup this year...but is that realistic? I hope it is.
oh. he got injured pretty quick and I don't think he played a lot of games from that point on.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:32 PM
John Torturella

I dont think Del Zotto is strong enough on defense to make the team, especially since Staal and McDonagh have the top 2 left side spots locked in. Is Del Zotto going to beat out Erixon? From all accounts, Erixon has a very solid defensive game. The same most definitely can not be said about Del Zotto.

The top 4 of our defense is just rock solid. I have no concerns about them. The bottom pairing is a bit of a question mark at this time, but we have the depth in the system where it won't at least be OK.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:36 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
I dont think Del Zotto is strong enough on defense to make the team, especially since Staal and McDonagh have the top 2 left side spots locked in. Is Del Zotto going to beat out Erixon? From all accounts, Erixon has a very solid defensive game. The same most definitely can not be said about Del Zotto.

The top 4 of our defense is just rock solid. I have no concerns about them. The bottom pairing is a bit of a question mark at this time, but we have the depth in the system where it won't at least be OK.
In all fairness to MDZ, I don't believe he has to beat out Erixon, who by all accounts is expected to make the team. Rather, he needs to beat out the likes of Valentenko, Pashnin, or an Eminger.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
In all fairness to MDZ, I don't believe he has to beat out Erixon, who by all accounts is expected to make the team. Rather, he needs to beat out the likes of Valentenko, Pashnin, or an Eminger.
Disagree. I think there will be one spot available for Erixon, Del Zotto, Valentenko etc. you can't have a blueline that green.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:42 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Disagree. I think there will be one spot available for Erixon, Del Zotto, Valentenko etc. you can't have a blueline that green.
We added 2 rookies last year. No reason we can't do the same this year, particularly considering that IF the 2 are MDZ and Erixon, both have played at the highest levels already. I'm not suggesting MDZ be given the spot because he was a 1st round pick, or because he fills a big need as a PMD...but you have to think if he comes in and earns a spot the team won't hesitate to start him. Certainly his upside is a considerable bit higher than Eminger.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
We added 2 rookies last year. No reason we can't do the same this year,
I think the fact that 2 rookies were added last year is a reason why 2 rookies can't be added this year (even though Del Zotto isn't really a rookie).

Quote:
but you have to think if he comes in and earns a spot the team won't hesitate to start him. Certainly his upside is a considerable bit higher than Eminger.
I think the team will hesitate to ice a blueline consisting of Del Zotto, Erixon, McDonagh, and Sauer.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:52 PM
OverTheCap

If MDZ can come into training camp and recapture his offense from two seasons ago, I think he makes the team, regardless of how he performs defensively.

It will be really tough for the Rangers to start contending if they have minimal puckmoving ability on the blueline. For this reason alone, I think Del Zotto will be given a good opportunity to make the team.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:00 PM
eco's bones

It's not that Eminger is a bad player. He gave us some good games last year. The question is can we afford to bring in somebody who is better?

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Scott Hannan is still available. Good 3rd pairing defensman. Blocks shots and is a veteran. I rather have a kid have his spot though.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:25 PM
rangers1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
It's not that Eminger is a bad player. He gave us some good games last year. The question is can we afford to bring in somebody who is better?
If Eminger is brought back (and I think he will be), we will see something along the same lines of what we saw last season with Emmy/Sauer, but with V-Tank. Tank is out of options so I think he and whichever vet Sather brings in, hopefully Eminger looking at the list to whos available, will start the season as 6/7....and we'll see if Valentenko has what it takes to win that top 6 spot. If not, we have Eminger to fall back on as that 6th guy. Which Im fine with.

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 06:18 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
If it's Del Zotto rather than Valentenko on the team, then I'd do it like this:
Staal - Girardi
Erixon - McDonagh or McDonagh - Erixon
Del Zotto - Sauer
Yeah,def give Sauer 3rd pairing mins......I understand how glad you are Erixon is a Ranger,but lets be realitic.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote