HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Chicago Wolves -- New NHL Affiliate

Old
06-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Tekneek

vCash: 500
Wolves had ended their affiliation with Thrashers as of the end of the regular season, from what I was told (meaning it had nothing to do with the move). Additionally, I have read many times that the AHL does not allow independent teams (meaning that option was never on the table).

I think it would be good to have more limits on service time and even age restrictions. You see this in the minor leagues for baseball, but then player development has been a much bigger part of baseball than it has for hockey.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
Additionally, I have read many times that the AHL does not allow independent teams (meaning that option was never on the table).
Don't know what you have read that, but it wouldn't seem to be true. The league office has said that a team can still operate without an NHL affiliate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
League Response

Quote:
XXXXXXX,

I can’t really speak to hypothetical situations. As part of the initial AHL membership application a potential owner must have an NHL affiliation in place, but the league’s governing documents do not necessarily prevent an existing franchise from continuing to operate should it lose its affiliation.

Realistically, though, with the costs that would be incurred by an AHL owner paying a full roster’s worth of salaries (plus coaches, trainers, other expenses, etc.), and with the shallow player pool from which to sign players while still being guided by the AHL’s development rule, it’s probably not a very attractive option.

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Sincerely,

===========================
Jason Chaimovitch
Vice President of Communications,
American Hockey League
As a result of the above, it appears that any application for membership must have an NHL affiliate as part of its acceptance. However, once in the league, a team could operate without an affiliation.
Quote:
I think it would be good to have more limits on service time and even age restrictions. You see this in the minor leagues for baseball, but then player development has been a much bigger part of baseball than it has for hockey.
What more restrictions do you want? Drafted Canadian Major Junior players are precluded from playing in the AHL until they're 20. Then, they can't have more than 260 pro games experience, which if you play the numbers right, means about 4 seasons of minor league play. The teams are already prevented from icing more than 5 skaters that have more than 260 games experience (and even that if further limited by rule that one of the 5 cannot have played more than 320).

There are already enough fringe players that don't have a prayer of sniffing the NHL. We don't need more.

Last edited by Majik1987: 06-27-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
It's official Wolves sign with Vancouver

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...affiliate.html
Can't wait for Luongo's first conditioning stint

Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Tekneek

Quote:
What more restrictions do you want?
I should have clarified that those specific comments were in response to the comments from Steve Chapman (GM of Gwinnett Gladiators in the ECHL). The AHL should have a more liberal policy than the ECHL, and the restrictions should tighten as you go down the hockey pyramid. That is, if they really have any intention of one day truly having a player development system resembling the type used for MLB.

Old
06-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Tekneek

Quote:
Don't know what you have read that, but it wouldn't seem to be true. The league office has said that a team can still operate without an NHL affiliate.
This was based on what happened with the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks. There were numerous articles at the time that stated they would not be allowed to participate in the AHL as an active franchise without securing a new affiliation agreement with an NHL team. As a result, they went inactive. Perhaps the rules have changed since then.

Old
06-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Rocko604

So Wolves fan, answer me this:

Does having Vancouver as the affiliate affect the fan base? Is there going to be a backlash? The Wolves have long been a successful, championship-winning franchise with strong attendance, and it always seemed to me, at least, the affiliate was a non-issue. They were a Chicago team, and that's all that mattered.

I've heard people comparing the Canucks/Wolves to the Flames/Heat, however the Heat were brand new to the area, AHL in general was new to the area, etc. etc. Only similarity, IMO, is the rivalry.

Always loved your jerseys, btw.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:03 PM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post

Does having Vancouver as the affiliate affect the fan base? Is there going to be a backlash? The Wolves have long been a successful, championship-winning franchise with strong attendance, and it always seemed to me, at least, the affiliate was a non-issue. They were a Chicago team, and that's all that mattered.

I've heard people comparing the Canucks/Wolves to the Flames/Heat, however the Heat were brand new to the area, AHL in general was new to the area, etc. etc. Only similarity, IMO, is the rivalry.

Flames/Heat situation is really based on the fact that Abbotsford is a 45 minute drive from Vancouver. Why would anyone cheer here in the Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley for the Flames farm team? The only time it does sellout is when the Moose come here for thier games.

The affiliate with the wolves is only perceived as an issue since really this is a rivalry that started getting heated 3 years ago.

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:13 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
This was based on what happened with the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks. There were numerous articles at the time that stated they would not be allowed to participate in the AHL as an active franchise without securing a new affiliation agreement with an NHL team. As a result, they went inactive. Perhaps the rules have changed since then.
Majik seems to have forgotten that Edmonton's franchise (now in OKC) went dormant for seven years..... Why would an independent be allowed today anyway when all the affiliations are signed and the cap is 30-30, SOMETHING WHEN the Robinsons lost Anaheim in 2005, it had to build a fanbase before securing an affiliation and were in the process of doing so when they collapsed, and the license was transferred to Rockford... that's why you haven't seen dual affiliations in the league once OKC went active

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:

No, I don't think it will have a backlash. I think the fans of the Wolves know the nature of AHL hockey and will take this in stride. I also think it is a huge help that the Wolves have their own identity away from the NHL parent. I know the Moose had their won identity, but they also wore the Canuck logo as a shoulder patch. I highly doubt the wolves will do any such thing in order to maintain their identity.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Majik seems to have forgotten that Edmonton's franchise (now in OKC) went dormant for seven years..... Why would an independent be allowed today anyway when all the affiliations are signed and the cap is 30-30, SOMETHING WHEN the Robinsons lost Anaheim in 2005, it had to build a fanbase before securing an affiliation and were in the process of doing so when they collapsed, and the license was transferred to Rockford... that's why you haven't seen dual affiliations in the league once OKC went active
Hutch seem unable to read the post from earlier. The communication FROM THE LEAGUE clearly says that a team can operate without an affiliate HOWEVER the costs would probably be too prohibitive to do so. That doesn't mean a team couldn't try. Why do you think Cinicinnati needed so many season tickets sold? When they didn't reach that number, they folded. It had nothing to do with an affiliation. Heck, they kept hinting that they had an affilaition ready to go so long as they sold enough tickets.

The 30-30 thing is just a ridiculous arguement. If an NHL team decided for whatever reason that the only option left for affiliation was not what they wanted (say what we currently see with the Panthers and Rampage), the NHL team could still approach other teams and put prospects out with one or a number of AHL teams. The AHL team left without an affiliation doesn't have to automatically have to fold. They may choose to because they can't generate enough cash to operate, but they aren't kicked out.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
At the time, there was a lot of "common knowledge" that people kept referencing that I don't think was ever substantiated.

Old
06-28-2011, 09:35 PM
ChicagoWolves1

Quote:

I see no backlash at all. Wolves have their own thing going and based on what their GM just said, it will always continue in this fashion. I hope they and the Canucks brass play nice together and keep egos aside.

The Wolves-Rockford games should be very interesting. Most of the fans that come however do not have any understanding of who the affiliates are anyway. Some think the Hawks are the affiliate, while many that comes to their 1-2 games a year want to catch a t-shirt from the mascot and have fun at the game.

Those of us on this site and STH's like myself see this as intriguing and look forward to the season to see how things play out. I think it was a miracle for us Wolves fans that a reset button could be pushed and basically we could trade up from Atlanta to Vancouver. Deep playoff run here we come (I hope).

ChicagoWolves1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:53 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWolves1 View Post
I see no backlash at all. Wolves have their own thing going and based on what their GM just said, it will always continue in this fashion. I hope they and the Canucks brass play nice together and keep egos aside.

The Wolves-Rockford games should be very interesting. Most of the fans that come however do not have any understanding of who the affiliates are anyway. Some think the Hawks are the affiliate, while many that comes to their 1-2 games a year want to catch a t-shirt from the mascot and have fun at the game.

Those of us on this site and STH's like myself see this as intriguing and look forward to the season to see how things play out. I think it was a miracle for us Wolves fans that a reset button could be pushed and basically we could trade up from Atlanta to Vancouver. Deep playoff run here we come (I hope).
I am sure that the Wolves will improve over their sixth place finish from last season.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
No, I don't think it will have a backlash. I think the fans of the Wolves know the nature of AHL hockey and will take this in stride. I also think it is a huge help that the Wolves have their own identity away from the NHL parent. I know the Moose had their won identity, but they also wore the Canuck logo as a shoulder patch. I highly doubt the wolves will do any such thing in order to maintain their identity.
Quote:

Good good.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Tekneek

Quote:
At the time, there was a lot of "common knowledge" that people kept referencing that I don't think was ever substantiated.
Weird that the ownership of that club would claim that so many times. Suppose they had their own reasons for doing so, and AHL had their own reasons for not disputing it at the time.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Weird that the ownership of that club would claim that so many times. Suppose they had their own reasons for doing so, and AHL had their own reasons for not disputing it at the time.
I don't think it is weird; I think it is misunderstood. They needed an affiliate to help with operating costs, as I'd think most teams would. I think there are probably only two or three teams that could even attempt to go it alone and then it would only last for a season, maybe two.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:28 AM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
Flames/Heat situation is really based on the fact that Abbotsford is a 45 minute drive from Vancouver. Why would anyone cheer here in the Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley for the Flames farm team? The only time it does sellout is when the Moose come here for thier games.

The affiliate with the wolves is only perceived as an issue since really this is a rivalry that started getting heated 3 years ago.
The sensible solution is for the Heat to become the canucks affiliate.

Having the flames' farm team in abbotsford would be as silly as having Montreal's farm team in hamilton...

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:59 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
The sensible solution is for the Heat to become the canucks affiliate.

Having the flames' farm team in abbotsford would be as silly as having Montreal's farm team in hamilton...
ONLY PROBLEM, Calgary is half owner and parent in Abbotsford, as they have been since 1993 in Saint John, and has a decade long contract that's implausible to break w/o severe penalty to Fraser Valley S/E.....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 06:20 PM
ChicagoWolves1

I heard a rumor about division realignment for 11-12. Anyone hear anything about this?

Old
07-03-2011, 06:25 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
I heard a rumor about division realignment for 11-12. Anyone hear anything about this?
Yes. They're talking about doing a 6 division 5 team format.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 06:35 PM
ChicagoWolves1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Yes. They're talking about doing a 6 division 5 team format.
Any articles on this with team breakdowns? I would assume the same cast of characters - Chi, Milw, RFD, Peoria, etc. Must see everyone the customary 10x or maybe even more with this now. If it is 5 teams per, why not just play each team 19x and call it a season. Would hate to see a new team God forbid.

Old
07-03-2011, 06:41 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Any articles on this with team breakdowns? I would assume the same cast of characters - Chi, Milw, RFD, Peoria, etc. Must see everyone the customary 10x or maybe even more with this now. If it is 5 teams per, why not just play each team 19x and call it a season. Would hate to see a new team God forbid.
It was mentioned in a chat by the Milwaukee Admirals President. I'll look for the link to it. Didn't mention any divisions or anything.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:19 PM
adsfan

Quote:
The fan suggested division was CHI, MIL, RFD, PEO and GR.

Milwaukee already plays GR at least 4 to 6 times a season. I could stand seeing them a little more. Probably 10 or 12 games a year (40-48) between the teams out of 76. Maybe Milwaukee will actually play Rochester again, it has been 3 or 4 years. We rarely see LEM either, 4 games total last season, same as ABF, OKC and MTB. HAM and TOR were only 2 games each, that could be doubled!

I agree that it is nice to see some new teams every season. Milwaukee played 13 of the 29 other AHL teams last season. Charlotte may move to the West Conference.

Last edited by adsfan: 07-04-2011 at 12:28 PM.
adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
The fan suggested division was CHI, MIL, RFD, PEO and GR.

Milwaukee already plays GR at least 4 to 6 times a season. I could stand seeing them a little more. Probably 10 or 12 games a year (40-48) between the teams out of 76. Maybe Milwaukee will actually play Rochester again, it has been 3 or 4 years. We rarely see LEM either, 4 games total last season, same as ABF, OKC and MTB. HAM and TOR were only 2 games each, that could be doubled!

I agree that it is nice to see some new teams every season. Milwaukee played 13 of the 29 other AHL teams last season. Charlotte may move to the West Conference.
Never happen. We will continue to see all the teams outside the division minimal number of times and forget about the other conference. The teams out east want to travel by bus and sleep in their own beds.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote