HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we currently, a BETTER PLAYOFF TEAM ??

View Poll Results: Is this a better playoff team ??
YES 39 27.27%
NO 57 39.86%
Not quite sure yet, need to see a few regular season games before I can decide 47 32.87%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-04-2011, 01:13 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
What also hasn't been addressed is the potential of off-ice stuff – I hate bringing it up as much as most hate reading it – continuing. A team is not just dressing individuals who slot in and slot out, putting up career-equivalent stats: not having Richards and Carter will surely have an enormous impact on the team. What that impact is, I have no clue.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Our centers are gonna have trouble matching up with most teams, ESPECIALLY the Penguins

Crosby vs Giroux
Malkin vs Briere
Stall vs Schenn

That could get ugly.
I agree with others in that this match up gets overblown as well. Even with Richards and Carter on the team as our "best 2-way centers", Crosby and Malkin abused the Flyers. Crosby has the most points against the Flyers than any other team not named the Islanders... Can't get too much worse than it already was IMO.

Chicken Chaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
Well, the goaltending could not be worse, that's for sure. I still think the loss of Pronger was a big factor in the playoff fiasco. If the defense is healthy, I think the team can do decent. However, I do not have as much faith in this year's forwards as last year.
Clearlyyou didn't watch Bryz's performance against Detroit. Maybe not worse, but pretty terrible.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Gibbs18

I think that if somehow, someway we get Stamkos. Then yes. As I look at the roster right now, I really dont see anyone who can put up 40+ goals(Giroux, JVR maybe in the future). I think once we get that piece we will be a lot better than last years team.

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:26 PM
Gibbs18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Clearlyyou didn't watch Bryz's performance against Detroit. Maybe not worse, but pretty terrible.
But you also have to fault that the Coyotes are **** without Bryz and would not have made playoffs without him.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:26 PM
Swiper the Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Bryz couldnt steal a game last year....just saying
this is a different team in front of Bryz too

just saying.....

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs18 View Post
But you also have to fault that the Coyotes are **** without Bryz and would not have made playoffs without him.
We wouldn't have been the 2 seed sans Bob and Boucher... Flyers got very solid goaltending in the regular season on the whole.

Bryz was brutal in the playoffs last year.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:29 PM
trigzter

there's this guy...named briere..maybe you have heard of him. 34 goals last year. He might be able to chip in a few more this year.

trigzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigzter View Post
there's this guy...named briere..maybe you have heard of him. 34 goals last year. He might be able to chip in a few more this year.
Second highest GPG of his career. Don't expect more goals from him... In fact, you should expect less.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:34 PM
decadentia

Quote:
So long as he can stay healthy. He's going to be commanding more minutes now.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:34 PM
trigzter

he had more points than richards or carter, seems to slip everyones minds though

Old
07-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
he had more points than richards or carter, seems to slip everyones minds though
He didn't go anywhere... Don't need to replace his production

Old
07-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Gibbs18

Quote:
Hes getting older, no way he breaks 40 goals until he retires...

Old
07-04-2011, 01:40 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
this is a different team in front of Bryz too

just saying.....
I agree...which is why I said I give him the benefit of the doubt....

But shouldnt elite goalies be able to steal one game?? Just one?? Phoenix couldnt score any goals...but there werent completely dreadful defensively....and they werent the Florida panthers.

They were the 11th best team in the league. Yes, that had a lot do with Bryz, no doubt.....but I still think he should have been able to steal a game....and a save percentage of less than .9 is dreadful, regardless of which team you are on or who you are playing.

Not saying that is reflective of how he will be here....but this isnt Patrick Roy with 2 Stanley Cups we are getting....I am not ready to call him our savior

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:41 PM
livewell68

You guys probably don't want me on these boards because apparently Penguins fans think that but I will add my opinion.

I think to expect a 39 year old to be dominant can be foolish but I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised on just how good Jagr will be.

You guys don't expect more than 20 goals, I say he gets 35. You guys expect 60 Pts, I say PPG.

The team has a better goalie now and they have a healthy Pronger who is now the leader. He will play better because of it and the Flyers will be better opposite of the expectations.

I know it was 2005-06 and Jagr was 34 not 39 but go look at the New York Rangers then. They were picked to finish last by almost everyone and to play for the 1st pick and then Jagr promised on the opening of training camp that they were going to be a playoff team, he went out and scored 123 Pts and brought them to the playoffs.

A healthy, fresh, void of wear and tear, motivated Jagr will be the most dominant Flyer since Lindros.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:42 PM
trigzter

Quote:
Hes getting older, no way he breaks 40 goals until he retires...
probably not, especially with hartnell on his wing. Not ripping on harts but he's not exactly a premiere passer

Old
07-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Jester

Pronger isn't healthy yet.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:45 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
i love everyone saying "OMG we have no defensive forwards there is no way we can win that is what we need to win!" Last year it was "OMG we have no goalie that is the only thing that matters!" We basically traded defensive forwards for a goalie, and while Richards is one of the best in the game, Carter wasn't all that great. He wasn't bad, but I don't see him in the running for a Selke any time soon.

While I agree this team does lack an elite defensive forward that can matchup with the Crosbys and Malkins of the world, but we now have Bryz and the same defense as last year. I'm not saying that is a better formula than no goalie and great defensive forwards, but the fact that we lost Richards and Carter does not mean all of the sudden this team is going to be overmatched every time someone with good hands gets on the ice. We still have Pronger, Timonen, etc and we now have Bryzgalov in net. So yeah, maybe Crosby and Malkin and others will be able to control the game a little more against the Flyers this season, Bryzgalov will be able to (or should be able to) stop excess shots and chances that are created by the lack of the defensive forwards.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Opus

I think we should ask Jim Mora...

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Terence Peterman

Oh geez, here we go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
(yes, I saw your winkie)
Gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Pronger isn't healthy yet.
Yeah, but we've got Roo. He tries real hard and is better at defense than you think. He's just what we need

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Gibbs18

Quote:
probably not, especially with hartnell on his wing. Not ripping on harts but he's not exactly a premiere passer
He has one premier pass that was ****ing awesome hahahhaa

Old
07-04-2011, 01:55 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
i love everyone saying "OMG we have no defensive forwards there is no way we can win that is what we need to win!" Last year it was "OMG we have no goalie that is the only thing that matters!" We basically traded defensive forwards for a goalie, and while Richards is one of the best in the game, Carter wasn't all that great. He wasn't bad, but I don't see him in the running for a Selke any time soon.

While I agree this team does lack an elite defensive forward that can matchup with the Crosbys and Malkins of the world, but we now have Bryz and the same defense as last year. I'm not saying that is a better formula than no goalie and great defensive forwards, but the fact that we lost Richards and Carter does not mean all of the sudden this team is going to be overmatched every time someone with good hands gets on the ice. We still have Pronger, Timonen, etc and we now have Bryzgalov in net. So yeah, maybe Crosby and Malkin and others will be able to control the game a little more against the Flyers this season, Bryzgalov will be able to (or should be able to) stop excess shots and chances that are created by the lack of the defensive forwards.
I was one of Carter's biggest critics, but to claim he wasnt good defensively automatically eliminates any credibility you have. Sorry.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post

Actually, Carter is quite good defensively. No, not going to win a Selke, but few will.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:57 PM
WeekendAtBernies

No.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:58 PM
trigzter

Quote:
He has one premier pass that was ****ing awesome hahahhaa

Thats just great hockey sense. Not much more I can say about it; 'twas an awesome play