HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we currently, a BETTER PLAYOFF TEAM ??

View Poll Results: Is this a better playoff team ??
YES 39 27.27%
NO 57 39.86%
Not quite sure yet, need to see a few regular season games before I can decide 47 32.87%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Gibbs18

vCash: 500
Also I didnt like Carter because I didnt even hear his name during the playoffs the past 2 years.

47 playoff games as a flyer. (13G 8A) 21 points

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:01 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs18 View Post
Also I didnt like Carter because I didnt even hear his name during the playoffs the past 2 years.

Context helps.

Having working feet helps too.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Jester

Quote:

to this post.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Terence Peterman

This might be the last post before this thread turns totally ugly and becomes absolutely derailed.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:03 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
This might be the last post before this thread turns totally ugly and becomes absolutely derailed.
Dont they all???

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
On matching people up against Pronger, I don't really care if he's not ready for the start of the regular season. I want him ready for the playoffs. Last season we didn't get either one.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Gibbs18

Ooops forgot what this thread was about

Old
07-04-2011, 01:10 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

appearantly the injury excuse applies if you arent a Flyer.
its comical when you bring up the seperated shoulder, the 2 broken feel, the knee injury to the fanboys. they just simply ignire that part of the arguement when continuing to bring up how much Jeff Carter sucks

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:11 PM
TheLegendkiller

Its not all just about the center, having bigger wingers can help out too. We may have to put out a shutdown unit against a top like Crosby's, Ovechkin's, Kovalchuk's, and all that.

Talbot-Schenn-Simmonds

Yeah I know putting a rookie on a shutdown line against those other guys could be a terrible idea, but you need to try sertain things. If Schenn ends up being the best center defensively then I would think we gotta go with that. Talbot and Simmonds can forecheck very well also.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:11 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I was one of Carter's biggest critics, but to claim he wasnt good defensively automatically eliminates any credibility you have. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Actually, Carter is quite good defensively. No, not going to win a Selke, but few will.
Oh, I'm sorry, you fella's must not understand what the phrase "he's not bad" means. He's a good defensive forward, but he's nothing special. He's better than G and Briere, for sure and his presence will be missed, but it's not like next May we're going to be talking about "what could have been" if we would have had Carter's defensive ability out there. Scoring, maybe. But not defense.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:12 PM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=943163

just gonna leave this here....

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:13 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Oh, I'm sorry, you fella's must not understand what the phrase "he's not bad" means. He's a good defensive forward, but he's nothing special. He's better than G and Briere, for sure and his presence will be missed, but it's not like next May we're going to be talking about "what could have been" if we would have had Carter's defensive ability out there. Scoring, maybe. But not defense.
No, you are seriously underrating his ability. He may not win a Selke, but he is a damn good, as evidenced by his +27 which led the forwards.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Actually, I think his defensive absence is going to significantly impact this team. Giroux really benefited from having Carter on his wing.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:26 PM
Gibbs18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
appearantly the injury excuse applies if you arent a Flyer.
its comical when you bring up the seperated shoulder, the 2 broken feel, the knee injury to the fanboys. they just simply ignire that part of the arguement when continuing to bring up how much Jeff Carter sucks
Yea, I dont know what it was, but I never really liked the way Jeff plays. Yea he can score goals, he can play good D, but he never tries to back check he just kind of gives up, it always seemed like he was lazy or something. He perfroms in the regular season but disappears in the playoffs when hes needed and when it actually counts. Yea he was hurt a lot in the playoffs, but the games he played before his injuries he still sucked.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
Yea, I dont know what it was, but I never really liked the way Jeff plays. Yea he can score goals, he can play good D, but he never tries to back check he just kind of gives up, it always seemed like he was lazy or something. He perfroms in the regular season but disappears in the playoffs when hes needed and when it actually counts. Yea he was hurt a lot in the playoffs, but the games he played before his injuries he still sucked.
Might want to fact check this statement.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:36 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
FAIL

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Right now, no. Too much inexperience among our forwards, and a disturbing lack of capable 2 way forwards. On top of that, Pronger and Timonen are aging.

IMO Bryz would need to steal a series or two if this team wants to go far in the playoffs...I expect those series would be against WSH and Pitt.

07-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Gibbs18

?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Old
07-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff View Post
JVR must be the 35 goals scorers we lost in Carter too... I think he can...
I remember in 2009 playoffs. Giroux had 5 points in 6 games and looked really impressive. In the offseason, the Flyers lost Knuble and Lupul . It was a lot of offensive production to lose. But a lot of people just said "Did you see Giroux in the playoffs last year! Kid is going to explode this season." Next year, Giroux's points per game actually went down...

I really hope JVR doesn't repeat that. But that taught me never to just pencil in a breakout season for a player.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

We're better in some areas weaker in others in all probability. No one really knows until we see if the new guys are ready. A healthy Pronger and a comfortable Bryzgalov and we're on our way though. I believe we can account for everyone that was moved outside of Richie. The guy filled a lot of roles and filled them well.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:56 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
I don't know. I would say maybe.

The loss of Richards hurts in the playoffs.

Carter... not so much because he has been largely a non factor the last 2 years for one reason or another. Regardless of injury, broken feet, being Houdini: we never really relied on Jeff Carter the last 2 post seasons and we got to the SCF and the ECS. It was a major plus when he was able to contribute, but he was never really able to for one reason or another. So what I am saying is that it's easier to replace a guy who was never really there (Carter), however it will be more difficult to replace what Richards brought to the table.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Swiper the Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipadelphia View Post
I don't know. I would say maybe.

The loss of Richards hurts in the playoffs.

Carter... not so much because he has been largely a non factor the last 2 years for one reason or another. Regardless of injury, broken feet, being Houdini: we never really relied on Jeff Carter the last 2 post seasons and we got to the SCF and the ECS. It was a major plus when he was able to contribute, but he was never really able to for one reason or another. So what I am saying is that it's easier to replace a guy who was never really there (Carter), however it will be more difficult to replace what Richards brought to the table.
We made it to the Stanley Cup playoffs by winning in a shootout
had we not won in that shoot out......... we would never had an unbelievable run to the finals and the team could have been ripped apart by the seams that year, instead of this year.

last year, we did way better in regular season, and barely got past the first round and got hosed in 2nd

Having said that now: is this team we have now any better or worse than what we've had over past 2 yrs.
I'd say , with what we lost and what we gained , we will be a much better team

i predict a 94-101 point regular season
playoff run = probably pretty far, but that is dependant on injuries going into it.
but like we saw from our team which barely made it into the post-season 2 years ago, ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs, just need to ensure we get a spot there. (which i don't think should be very difficult)

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:19 PM
MsWoof

Basically, Bryz will have to match and improve on the goaltending we got from Bob and Boosh last season, up until February when the wheels fell off every single player on the team.

With Richards and Carter gone, we've lost our only 2 sound defensive forwards. Yes, Giroux and Briere can put in beautiful goals and it's easy to notice them more than sound defence, but they are going to have to improve their defense dramatically while increasing their goal production AND playing against the other teams' top lines. All at 5'10" and under.

Pronger is a year older, 4 surgeries later and we don't know when he'll be back in the lineup.

Fortunately, we still have Jody Shelley who should be a huge part of the team. That alone will ensure we get into the playoffs.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:20 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
No, you are seriously underrating his ability. He may not win a Selke, but he is a damn good, as evidenced by his +27 which led the forwards.
Ahh, the +/- argument. The stat that is always there to back up one's argument when you need it, and a stat that is worthless when it doesn't support the argument. I'll throw out that his 25+ even strength goals, plus his high scoring linemates, probably had something to do with that as well. I'm not a fan of the +/- stat when talking about forwards, especially high scoring forwards. If he was a defenseman and led in +/-, okay now maybe we're talking about something meaningful in terms of defense. But when you are talking about a high scoring forward playing on a high scoring line, the +/- stat is not a great indicator of defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Actually, I think his defensive absence is going to significantly impact this team. Giroux really benefited from having Carter on his wing.
Well, we'll see. I think Simmonds will be a solid defensive player for the Flyers this season, and Voracek I think will be better than most people think. Throw in the fact that we have a real #1 goalie, and I just don't see "lack Jeff Carter's defense" being one of the things people will be pointing to next season when all is said and done. Lack of scoring, maybe. Lack of Richards defense, maybe. But not lack of Jeff Carter's defense. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:22 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
We made it to the Stanley Cup playoffs by winning in a shootout
had we not won in that shoot out......... we would never had an unbelievable run to the finals and the team could have been ripped apart by the seams that year, instead of this year.

last year, we did way better in regular season, and barely got past the first round and got hosed in 2nd

Having said that now: is this team we have now any better or worse than what we've had over past 2 yrs.
I'd say , with what we lost and what we gained , we will be a much better team

i predict a 94-101 point regular season
playoff run = probably pretty far, but that is dependant on injuries going into it.
but like we saw from our team which barely made it into the post-season 2 years ago, ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs, just need to ensure we get a spot there. (which i don't think should be very difficult)
Wow, just wow. First of all, if the coaching change had been made in the summer, we'd never have been in 14th spot in the conference. That was all on Stevens, and of course Homer for allowing it to happen.

94 points is being generous. 101 points is insane.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote