HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Reaction to the Lindros Trade in 1992

Old
07-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Reaction to the Lindros Trade in 1992

Hi Flyers fans,

I was just dropping by to ask some of the older fans what their reaction was to the Eric Lindros trade back during the 1992 draft? 19 years ago there really wasn't an equivalent to hfboards and a community like this to hype, dissect, analyze, scrutinize and discuss every little move, let alone the mother load of all blockbuster trades. I'm guessing things were basically tracked through TV, radio and newspapers and discussed between friends in bars and rec rooms in private.

Anyway, considering all the drama that went with the hype, the league wide bidding war, the Rangers alternate offer, the Bertuzzi ruling, what were your thoughts as a Flyers fan when it came to be that Eric Lindros would be a Flyer? In 2011, I'm sure a deal like that would have shut down these boards for a week, but what was it like in 1992? Were you attached to any of the players leaving, was it just pure celebration and excitement? What was it like?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:02 AM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Hi Flyers fans,

I was just dropping by to ask some of the older fans what their reaction was to the Eric Lindros trade back during the 1992 draft? 19 years ago there really wasn't an equivalent to hfboards and a community like this to hype, dissect, analyze, scrutinize and discuss every little move, let alone the mother load of all blockbuster trades. I'm guessing things were basically tracked through TV, radio and newspapers and discussed between friends in bars and rec rooms in private.

Anyway, considering all the drama that went with the hype, the league wide bidding war, the Rangers alternate offer, the Bertuzzi ruling, what were your thoughts as a Flyers fan when it came to be that Eric Lindros would be a Flyer? In 2011, I'm sure a deal like that would have shut down these boards for a week, but what was it like in 1992? Were you attached to any of the players leaving, was it just pure celebration and excitement? What was it like?
Gathered around the radio with co-workers listening to Bertuzzi read his statement to the effect that the Flyers had a legitimate deal first. We KNEW this meant a Cup! Hahahahaha, that's hockey for ya'.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:42 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Hi Flyers fans,

I remember jumping around my living room and thinking the Flyers were the next dynasty and multiple cups were coming our way.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:19 AM
hXc Chris

I was 8 and thought Lindros was a legend. Didnt know anything about how they got him, just loved him as a player...until the daddy issues.

hXc Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:41 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I remember jumping around my living room and thinking the Flyers were the next dynasty and multiple cups were coming our way.
I actually remember watching the draft where the double trades initially went down. I was 15, I think. Believe it or not it was actually televised - ON ESPN!

When they announced the deal on TV it was originally just that the Flyers had traded for Eric Lindros' rights. I was jumping up and down and rambling to my girlfriend at the time how this meant that the Flyers were going to be a dynasty, etc., etc. etc.

Then the whole two trade debacle took place, and arbitration hearings, and Bertuzzi's decision. The whole thing was bigger than the Crosby lottery right after the lockout, despite the lack of internet.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 07:54 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I was mad then and still hate the deal now. I knew that Forsberg was going to be a star (OK KNEW is maybe a strong word, but when a 17 year old can get darn near a point a game in the SEL as a 17 year old that is impressive) and loved Ricci (remember how good he was as an 18 year old?). I thought too much was given up for a guy that "refused" to play for another team. Some of the other pieces like the money and the guys like Huffman were not a big deal to me but the two guys I mentioned were a blow and I didn't like the sheer size of the package that was needed to get him. I have always hated deals that give up tremendous amounts for one guy. As long as one of the others traded for him turns out to be great it makes the deal not so hot.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Kermit the Prog

I was 26 and heading home from the office when I heard it WIP. I remember hoping, as the names were being reeled off in the return, that Recchi and Brind'Amour were not being moved in the deal. I wasn't crazy about Steve Duchesne being in the trade as he was coming off an 18-goal/56-point year as a defenseman. But, give to get.

Kermit the Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:20 AM
Opus

A shame the Legion of Doom line couldn't have lasted forever...

As a log time follower and fan of Lindros, I was stoked.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:35 AM
lancer247

I was 22 y/o working at Great Adventure doing security. I had better access to The Fan in NY then WIP most of the time.

I couldn't believe the ruling went in their favor. I thought they would take a couple of years to put a team around him but that they would have a dynasty. Even casual hockey fans in Philly were excited just because the Rags didn't get him.
Most people talk about what the Flyers could have had if they didn't make the trade (Forsberg, Brindy, Ricci, Simon, etc) but the Flyers also lost out on possible signing of Teemu Salanne (sp). Salanne was a. F/A that summer and the Flyers were going to go after him hard. So, imagine
Salanne - Forsberg - Renberg
Recchi - Brindy - ???
Simon - Ricci - ??

With the money they shelled out for the new arena plus Lindros' contract the Flyer's could afford to go after Salanne (imagine that, the Flyers with a cash shortage).

Funny thing about that summer is that the Lindros signing was the 3rd biggest story. The Eagles signed the missing piece to their Superbowl (Hershel Walker) then lost it when Jerome Brown died in a car crash.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:35 AM
04' hockey

ppffffffftttttttttt.....

lindros held such promise he had his own edition of the Hockey News.....
was away with family and friends on a fishing trip when we heard the news and who was involved,
"Forsberg, who's that?" Ricci, $15. million , Hextall, Duschenne(sp) etc ., etc
EVERY hockey expert said he was the next coming and THEN SOME!

Just Forsberg was an over payment.....

The BETTER Messier, faster, meaner, better hands.....

N-E-V-E-R H-A-P-P-E-N-E-D

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Stephen

Great responses guys, it's hard to fathom a deal of that magnitude today for just one player, as well as the kind of discussion that would go on on a message board like this with all the pre trade speculation and bickering, the trade talk, the arbitration, etc. There was so much drama involved, it would have been fantastic to have had the internet for that!

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04' hockey View Post
lindros held such promise he had his own edition of the Hockey News...
He was born to sell newspapers.

Had Lindros stayed healthy and in the good books of the Flyers, we'd have had something really special and would (most of us) not think twice about that trade.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Old
07-04-2011, 10:58 AM
04' hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post

Had Lindros stayed healthy and in the good books of the Flyers, we'd have had something really special and would (most of us) not think twice about that trade.

Hindsight is 20/20.
Had Mr ORR been gifted with 2 healthy knees, we'd never have to discuss who was the best ever.

Things were what they were, thats life

Old
07-04-2011, 11:03 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
I remember being happy we didnt trade Brind'Amour in the deal. I also remember thinking wow this guy is this good where we had to give up so much? He better deliver Lord Stanley.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Pyzik

Most forget that Lindros was the single reason the Corestate Center was able to be built. He single handedly sold more tickets, got more players wanting to come to Philly and such....He was great for the Team more so than just on the Ice.

Hind sight is always 20/20, would Forsberg have been as amazing had he never been traded from the Flyers. Was his time playing with Sakic a blessing in disguise? Forsberg was huge for the Avs but he was not the MAN, Sakic was...so there was not the pressure on him...I am not diminishing what he was...because for God's Sake he was probably the Best player in the late 99's early 00's

I will always love the trade, he gave us hope of something better for the Flyers who were just plain awful for the previous 3 years....you could tell even from his first game he was something special. Before the injuries took over he was a beast, he could skate, score, hit, fight and lead.

Pyzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I was thrilled. I was most concerned about giving up Ricci and Chris Simon (!!!!!). I didn't care a lick about Forsberg. I was annoyed we had drafted him in the first place. I think THN had him a lower round first rounder, so I was annoyed we drafted him at 6 overall. Just like I was annoyed we drafted Giroux. I guess I am pretty much wrong about most of our draft picks.

But I was thrilled, and, like others have said, I was glad we kept Recchi and Brind'Amour.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:02 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:

Hindsight is 20/20.
Or even if Forsberg had turned out to be just average. Or if the Avs hadn't won the cup. I think it was sort of all of those things combined that made the trade look so weak.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Or even if Forsberg had turned out to be just average. Or if the Avs hadn't won the cup. I think it was sort of all of those things combined that made the trade look so weak.
It's safe to say we all knew Forsberg was a special talent, as was Lindros.

As for the Stanley Cup, you can't look past the fact that the AVs were stacked with one of the best goalies to ever play the game.

Not to say that Forsberg didn't contribute, but the support system there was incredible.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:16 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Or maybe if Lindros had Joe Sakic and Patrick Roy on his team....

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:20 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
It's safe to say we all knew Forsberg was a special talent, as was Lindros.

As for the Stanley Cup, you can't look past the fact that the AVs were stacked with one of the best goalies to ever play the game.

Not to say that Forsberg didn't contribute, but the support system there was incredible.
That was my point. We can speculate all we want what could have happened, the only thing I always go back to when discussion Lindros and Forsberg is this:

Forsberg arguably was not the best player on his team.....Lindros was always head and shoulders above the rest of his team

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:30 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

I was 16 and i remember just being proud that we beat out the rangers knowing that there was that handshake weirdness that made it confusing. But i was happy and like these recent moves thought it was ballsy. we were so bad at the time, 3 years outta the playoffs and i started to watch alot of kings games because they were on i think espn latenight all the time. i did not like the bill dineen years with linesman and acton, kevin dineen and no playoffs. The team sucked bad and i still think we were better off with the trade. i dont think forsberg would've made the difference for us that he did in colorado because i dont think we would've ever put the right pieces together for him to be as successful. We didnt even do that for Lindros and he still almost singlehandedly won us the conference.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

I was on the job site and had the radio on in my truck when the news finally went down. I just thought we had won the cup. That was how happy at the time I was having followed his career in junior. Yea there were whispers even back then about his family and how he would "occasionally" disappear during a game. A very good friend of mine played professionally in the Dakota's and he had a lot of connections and ties with people in Canada who just despised Lindros. Needless to say he and I had some heavy arguments over the years about 88. And I have to admit he was right about on just about everything. That being said when the deal went down I was happy that we did not move Rod and put in Peter instead. I was and still am a hockey nut and anyone who knew that Peter was going to be that good is full of crap. Period. I have followed the draft since the early 70's and always kept the draft Preview from the Hockey News.(Back then it was a great paper) The year Peter was drafted where his picture went the box was blank. He was rated a 2nd pick by them. The guy I did not want to see go was Mike Ricci. Yes back then the only way you got any info was the Hockey News, TV, Radio or connections at the Spectrum. Anyway,I have six jersey's. Three are Flyers and one of them is 88. The other two are 16's. One Blazer for Bernie and a Blackhawk and Montreal both aways. Redmond and Lafluer which I brought at Doug Laurie's shop in Toronto when me and my pals would make our annual run up there in my buddies VW camper van

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:09 PM
04' hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
That was my point. We can speculate all we want what could have happened, the only thing I always go back to when discussion Lindros and Forsberg is this:

Forsberg arguably was not the best player on his team.....Lindros was always head and shoulders above the rest of his team
Now that all is said and done.....who would you take ??

be honest

I'd take Foppa in a heartbeat

Old
07-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Damaged Goods

Some perspective on longevity: Eric Lindros is 378 days younger than Jaromir Jagr.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1189
Forsberg was ranked 25th on The Hockey News' draft eligible players for that year. CSB had him in the late teens (18 or 19 as I recall). The Flyers had him as a top five. It was Inge Hammarstrom (scout) who was very influential in the selection. It was a surprise to many that Forsberg was chosen that high.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote