HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Off-season Thread Part III (pre-season schedule w/TV in #472)

Old
07-04-2011, 05:39 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
The Off-season Thread Part III (pre-season schedule w/TV in #472)

Continue here... because you know the Flyers aren't done yet.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-04-2011 at 08:20 PM.
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 06:55 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
First.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:05 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 500
Briere's contract doesn't seem so bad now after these outrageous overpayments by other teams this offseason...

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:19 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Briere's contract doesn't seem so bad now after these outrageous overpayments by other teams this offseason...
It also helps that the cap has increased by $13 million since Brière's contract went into effect.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:43 AM
kicksave27

Homer paid the going rate that year. Out of Drury & Gomez, briere is the only one who comes close to worth his contract from that year. The little guy is also money in the playoffs. Though hope loosing ville doesn't kill his production this year.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Bryz4shiz

I doubt losing Leino will kill his production, he's been clutch in the playoffs since the lockout

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10KeithLeClair25 View Post
I doubt losing Leino will kill his production, he's been clutch in the playoffs since the lockout
We'll see. They had good chemistry as an even strength line, and Briere's PP production hasn't been anywhere near expected since his first year here. More importantly, Briere needs to be scoring at a very high rate at even strength in order to justify keeping him at center.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:26 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Homer paid the going rate that year. Out of Drury & Gomez, briere is the only one who comes close to worth his contract from that year. The little guy is also money in the playoffs. Though hope loosing ville doesn't kill his production this year.
Briere wasn't money vs Boston. Buffalo, sure, added incentive against his old team but when he doesn't put up points his defense makes him a liability.

Gomez and Drury...blech. Total disappointments.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:34 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I doubt losing Leino is going to hurt Briere. If Jagr ends up playing on the wing, there's no reason to believe that there will be any slip in production. Jagr is everything that Leino was and then some.

However, if the Flyers decide Jagr is best served playing with Giroux and JVR, then Voracek gets put into Leino's spot. And people forget that Voracek is someone who is turning 22, is probably more skilled than Leino and is six years younger than Ville. I think Voracek is a good fit on either line and that there's no reason to believe that he can't replace what Leino brought to the table, especially when you consider that Voracek really didn't have a true center to play with. There's no reason to believe that he can't score 55 to 60 points and replace the production of Leino.

And funny thing, my concern isn't the top two lines at all. I think they'll be fine. My concern is who plays wing with Schenn and Simmonds. I don't see it being Talbot, because it seems that he's being groomed as the Laperriere replacement on the fourth line with Betts. I don't see it being Nodl either because I think he's going to be used as a truly defensive stalwart amongst the forwards. That leaves Matt Read as pretty much the third line guy and I'm not sure that's a good thing. I was hoping the Flyers would have signed Niclas Bergfors to a contract, but I'm wondering if Holmgren is keeping an eye on arbitration players and if anyone is going to be rejected and become a UFA. Wouldn't Andrew Ladd or Clarke MacArthur look good on that third line spot?

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Jester

I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility that Schenn plays wing to start his career.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:47 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility that Schenn plays wing to start his career.
I hope not. That's a disservice to Schenn. If he was drafted as a center and if he's going to be used as a center, then it makes no sense to put him on the wing to start out. He's going to have to get used to what's required to play center in the NHL and leaving him on the wing only prolongs the learning curve that he'll face.

If is to use Schenn on the wing, then I'd rather the club dispatch him to Adirondack and let him play 18 to 20 minutes a night as a center. Let him learn the pro game there and be the "man" so to speak on the team. My only thing is that if the Flyers send him to the AHL, do the man a favour and just let him soak up the environment and learning opportunities around him and leave him there for the year. Let him concentrate on putting his game together there and let him get ready there.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I hope not. That's a disservice to Schenn. If he was drafted as a center and if he's going to be used as a center, then it makes no sense to put him on the wing to start out. He's going to have to get used to what's required to play center in the NHL and leaving him on the wing only prolongs the learning curve that he'll face.

If is to use Schenn on the wing, then I'd rather the club dispatch him to Adirondack and let him play 18 to 20 minutes a night as a center. Let him learn the pro game there and be the "man" so to speak on the team. My only thing is that if the Flyers send him to the AHL, do the man a favour and just let him soak up the environment and learning opportunities around him and leave him there for the year. Let him concentrate on putting his game together there and let him get ready there.
You can learn the vast majority of the important stuff playing the wing and then not go through those growing pains in the middle. For example, speed of the game, physical strength of the players, etc. etc.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:02 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You can learn the vast majority of the important stuff playing the wing and then not go through those growing pains in the middle. For example, speed of the game, physical strength of the players, etc. etc.
Not exactly jumping for joy at the thought of Talbot centering our third line either, though. Who is still out there who could fill that role?

Liked the idea of Miettinen in this article as far as adding a wing to that line.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Not exactly jumping for joy at the thought of Talbot centering our third line either, though. Who is still out there who could fill that role?

Liked the idea of Miettinen in this article as far as adding a wing to that line.
If you're planning on competing next year, I like the idea of Talbot better than Schenn.

That being said, in an ideal world Schenn comes in and wins the job and Talbot plays wing or 4th line center.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Doyle

Assessing the Broad Street Bulldozer: Are the Flyers a Better Team?
http://nhlhotstove.com/assessing-the...a-better-team/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:58 PM
uvegotafrendinpa

So in all of craziness of the past couple of days, I guess Coburn was never signed to an extension?

I wonder if the story was completely fabricated or are they currently working on a deal...

uvegotafrendinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 03:18 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post

It's been discussed in plenty of threads, but Jason Arnott could be a nice addition if he doesn't demand too much money/years. Schenn-Arnott-Simmonds could be a decent third line.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 03:26 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvegotafrendinpa View Post
So in all of craziness of the past couple of days, I guess Coburn was never signed to an extension?

I wonder if the story was completely fabricated or are they currently working on a deal...
Who knows, we haven't heard a thing.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 03:43 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

So... no Yandle.

=[

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Kaberle to Carolina for 4.25 x 3 years. A good deal for both of them, I like it.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:37 PM
SolidSnakeUS

So nothing on Simmonds?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Fenza
G-Rouxnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
So nothing on Simmonds?
All I've heard is that they were "close."

Fenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 05:19 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenza View Post
All I've heard is that they were "close."
What a crock of **** that we haven't signed him yet.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Fenza
G-Rouxnit

It's definitely time to get the deal done.

Fenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 05:20 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
What a crock of **** that we haven't signed him yet.
Why, it's not unheard of for RFA's going unsigned into the Summer after July 1. Take a look around the League and see all the RFA's that haven't signed yet. It's really not a big deal.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote