HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Daniel cleary to T. o?

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2005, 08:18 AM
wasting time

vCash: 500
He can skate. That's what I like. It looks like Quinn wants a full-out run and gun team:

* Belak gets put at the #7 D, then with Brown, I think is out.
* Czerkawski
* O'Neill
* Khavanov to add to an already mobile D

If Cleary gets added then with him, O'Neill, Czerkawski, and Kilger you have 4 wingers that can literally fly.

Quinn is going to build this team around puck posession and transition. The wingers are going to have to have speed to get back into the play in their own end. It is going to be fun to watch.

I correct my earlier post that perhaps Cleary would be invited to camp - it is clearly a contract negotiation.

I actually hope they sign him. Under Quinn's system it is going to be all about skill and speed. Guys like Cleary and Czerkawski cannot play in a defensive first system - well, this is certainly not going to be a defense-first team.

Old
09-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
He can skate. That's what I like. It looks like Quinn wants a full-out run and gun team:

* Belak gets put at the #7 D, then with Brown, I think is out.
* Czerkawski
* O'Neill
* Khavanov to add to an already mobile D

If Cleary gets added then with him, O'Neill, Czerkawski, and Kilger you have 4 wingers that can literally fly.

Quinn is going to build this team around puck posession and transition. The wingers are going to have to have speed to get back into the play in their own end. It is going to be fun to watch.

I correct my earlier post that perhaps Cleary would be invited to camp - it is clearly a contract negotiation.

I actually hope they sign him. Under Quinn's system it is going to be all about skill and speed. Guys like Cleary and Czerkawski cannot play in a defensive first system - well, this is certainly not going to be a defense-first team.
May I ask where you are getting this Quinn wants Belak out thought from ..

One of the things I dislike about Quinn is his persistence to play Belak over players that are MUCH better hockey players and give the Leafs a better chance of winning ..

Belak getting a 2 year 1-way contact at $700k plus is an indication that Leaf management has invested in him and expects him to play ..

Old
09-12-2005, 11:41 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess
May I ask where you are getting this Quinn wants Belak out thought from ..

One of the things I dislike about Quinn is his persistence to play Belak over players that are MUCH better hockey players and give the Leafs a better chance of winning ..

Belak getting a 2 year 1-way contact at $700k plus is an indication that Leaf management has invested in him and expects him to play ..
it was Quinn who moved Belak to forward - for his toughness. It was obvious that Belak was not good enough for a regular shift on the D. Now Quinn does not want Belak as a forward, yet he is a better forward than a D.

This shows me that Quinn is going to open it up big time; Domi and Perrott can skate. Belak can't.

Signing Belak to a 2 year contract means nothing about their commitment to him.
JFJ's signing of Brown is an indication that he does not think Belak is good enough for even the #7 spot.

It seems pretty obvious to me.

As for Quinn playing Belak -- he wanted toughness. It worked pretty well, no?

Old
09-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
it was Quinn who moved Belak to forward - for his toughness. It was obvious that Belak was not good enough for a regular shift on the D. Now Quinn does not want Belak as a forward, yet he is a better forward than a D.

This shows me that Quinn is going to open it up big time; Domi and Perrott can skate. Belak can't.

JFJ's signing of Brown is an indication that he does not think Belak is good enough for even the #7 spot.

I guess I should rephrase that then ..

Is this you own opinions or do you have actual web media articles that support this position of yours and you are just building off of them ??

You are mentioning that Quinn is not accepting Belak as a forward .. Did you read that somewhere ??

Old
09-12-2005, 11:51 AM
mydnyte

Quote:

It doesnt seem as obvious to me, because it was JFJ that signed Belak, not Quinn.

Old
09-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

This is what I found .. Love the Belak part ..

Quote:
"If it takes the pain of penalties to stop (obstruction), then so be it," Quinn said. " It's not the calls themselves that get you mad, but what's disappointed me in the past is that they said they would crack down and then they didn't."

The Leafs heard throughout the summer that this no-tolerance policy was here to stay. If so, a winger/defenceman such as Wade Belak will be the Leafs' ultimate camp guinea pig.

"It's going to be tough when I'm on defence, especially going into the corner in our zone," Belak said. "If I'm given a head fake and the guy gets past me a bit, it will be tough to fight for good body position without thinking of using my stick."

Quinn is not so sure those teams who favoured the stifling trap before the lockout won't just set their checkers deeper to guard against potential breakouts by faster clubs. But he's optimistic the Leafs have a team that can take advantage of the extra space created in the offensive zones.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...13490-sun.html

Old
09-12-2005, 07:48 PM
AlMo

Daniel Cleary is absolutely horrible...this guy has just never had what it takes. I remember him before junior hockey and how he was a possible #1 pick but he just slowly slipped away. He had a good junior career but being cut from the WJC's for three years in a row and then slipping in the draft. His career has gone downhill from there. He is a Marlie at best not a Leaf.

Old
09-12-2005, 08:05 PM
NewfieJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo
Daniel Cleary is absolutely horrible...this guy has just never had what it takes. I remember him before junior hockey and how he was a possible #1 pick but he just slowly slipped away. He had a good junior career but being cut from the WJC's for three years in a row and then slipping in the draft. His career has gone downhill from there. He is a Marlie at best not a Leaf.

Being drafted 10th overall(IIRC, could be 7th) isn't too shabby IMO.

Old
09-12-2005, 08:22 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieJohn
Being drafted 10th overall(IIRC, could be 7th) isn't too shabby IMO.
Nope. 13th overall and he did slip because he was highly touted (top 5) but I think teams stayed from him until Chicago came up

Old
09-12-2005, 08:22 PM
wasting time

Quote:
I guess I should rephrase that then ..

Is this you own opinions or do you have actual web media articles that support this position of yours and you are just building off of them ??

You are mentioning that Quinn is not accepting Belak as a forward .. Did you read that somewhere ??

I don't recall where, but I am pretty sure he said it in an interview recently. He is putting Belak on the D, not at forward.

If so, then why add Brown, I say?

Old
09-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Augustus

Quote:
This is what I found .. Love the Belak part ..
"It's going to be tough when I'm on defence, especially going into the corner in our zone," Belak said. "If I'm given a head fake and the guy gets past me a bit, it will be tough to fight for good body position without thinking of using my stick."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Clod Belak is being realistic. His skating prowess will lead to his seeing the back of many players as they skoot past him.

Old
09-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Augustus

Quote:
I don't recall where, but I am pretty sure he said it in an interview recently. He is putting Belak on the D, not at forward.

If so, then why add Brown, I say?

Because he found another GM willing to take Belak off his hands?

Hope hope hope Hope hope hope Hope hope hope Hope hope hope

Closed Thread