HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA 2011 - Senators edition

Old
07-02-2011, 07:55 PM
The Fuhr*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PAC View Post
2013 UFA glass is like the 2010 NBA UFA class. Murray better off crosby a 15 year 200 million dollar contract!!

EDIT: I would actually say 2014 if most of the players were still in their prime.

Could a team pull of what the heat did and sign perry getzlaf and crosby? Cap will be much higher in 2013.
95% of the good players will not see UFA
watch them, drop one by one

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:02 PM
ULoveMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
A lot of people didn't think Stamkos would reach RFA... It all really comes down to whether or not a player wants to stick with their club.

ULoveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:09 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50
Quote:
Ya I guess, but if the cap were to reach 70m, and the cap hit on the 3 is around 25-26m, the team has around 45m to dish out to other players. This would probably only work if majority of the players are on ELC. But I still think 45m is enough to get 2 solid dman, #1 goalie, and 2 quality top 6 forwards.
I'm sure a team could, but then they would have what..15M to sign 10 forwards, 4 defenders, and 1 back up? The difference is that basketball the top 5 play 50-60% of the game and are a major part in the deciding factor.

Whereas hockey is more of a all around team game and every lineup matters.

Also, as the cap goes up that also means that quality player prices will go up.

07-02-2011, 08:10 PM
itscameron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Quote:
A lot of people didn't think Stamkos would reach RFA... It all really comes down to whether or not a player wants to stick with their club.
I agree with Fuhr. And that's a bad example, RFA and UFA are way too dissimilar.

itscameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:35 PM
ULoveMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscameron View Post
I agree with Fuhr. And that's a bad example, RFA and UFA are way too dissimilar.
If we were talking less talented players, yes they are dissimilar, but we're talking steven fukin Stamkos here. He shouldn't have made RFA because although Tampa thinks they will match any offer, some desperate team could offer crazy front loaded money on a ridiculous term. TB is going through financial problems aren't they?

ULoveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
There's a good chance some of them improve a lot, but it's very likely that that would take more than 1 season. Other than Foligno, Regin, (and possibly Zack Smith), none of those guys have really broken into the NHL on a full-time basis. Let's wait for that to happen first before being as optimistic as yourself.

If you think we can build a contending team on the strength of our prospects alone, then you are predicting something completely unprecedented. Trades and free-agent signings are a requisite for success, but you are right to highlight the importance of young (and cheap) players.
Actually it's not really optimism but more like realism and the law of averages... Most human beings have become so cynical and pessimist that when somebody say something that they don't see, they called it optimism. If I was really optimist, I would say that Zibanejad, Filatov, Petersson, Silfverberg, Noesen, Butler and Puempel will become stars and Ottawa will be unstoppable once again

But no... I'm just saying that when you have dozen of quality forward prospects, you're bound to develop a couple top-6 forwards, at the very least. You guys seem to think all NHL stars were chosen in the top-3 at the draft. Well, go look and you will be surprised.

Personnally, I trust Murray and his scouting staff. I know what they are capable of. The good drafting hasn't just started last week, it has been started with the Erik Karlsson selection, 3 years ago. Since then, we have stockpiled quality prospects. We even signed a few good ones (Butler and Da Costa especially)

Karlsson at 15th, Cowen at 9th, Rundblad "at 16th", Zibanejad at 6th... All look like steals or very good picks. Well, it's the same for many of our prospects. Go look where Lehner, Wiercioch, Silfverberg, Petersson, Hoffman, Stone... were drafted. It looks good when you see what they accomplish in their junior leagues/AHL.

But if all you want to see is a big dark cloud, go ahead. And when you'll jump off the bridge I won't follow

PS : Your 2nd point is not really true, your fundation has to be built through the draft. Looks at the Hawks, the Sens of 10 years ago, the Wings... Best teams are build with the draft. That's the way the Sens chose to go and I'm very happy about it. It's not optimism, it's confidence. I know good things are coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
Our goaltending is fine, our defence is fine, and our bottom-six forwards are fine. What we are missing is 2-3 top-six forwards. With all our young guys, we should develop two top six forwards from that group (e.g. Filatov, Butler, Regin, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Puempel), and then sign a UFA next summer and you have a decent team.
Yep, all we need is time and really put a big emphasis on developping our prospects. We also need to continue drafting well to keep the flow going.

What I hope happens at some point, is we trade 2-3 quality prospects with a good pick to get a star player... a bit like the Mike Richards trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
They're basically us of a year or two ago. Eventually Iggy will slow down like Alfie did and their place in the standings will force their hand.
Canadians teams have more pressure to win, so they will continue to "try" until there's no chance left. Then they will rebuild, like the Oilers and Sens did. But look at the Habs, Leafs, Caucks and Flames. Some never really rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinYS View Post
Take that Leafs! I'm smiling now.

And guys, don't expect for us to improve drastically in 2 years. We suck at scoring goals.
Sens were 13 goals away from being the 7th best offensive team 2 seasons ago. We only really sucked last year and during the Hartsburg Era.

Our goalscoring this season shouldn't be in the top-15 but having Rundblad and Karlsson and Gonchar on the back-end should help the forwards. Also, Sens are adding a lot of speed and skill, just mostly raw for now. But in the end, goalscoring is hard to predict from year to year. People are always wrong with their predictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petelevi View Post
Interesting post. A couple of thoughts: I agree about the goalies, although the Murray's are very relunctant to draft them. The organisation is focussed on college free agents rather than Europeans (that's all they've signed in Ottawa).

I think the Sens will have a tough first half of the season before improving. I'm not sure if they will improve enough to challenge for the playoffs next year, but certainly the season after that. In terms of the prospects, there are always surprises (good and bad), but there's no doubt the organisation is well stocked moving forward.
The thing about drafting goalies is that most of time you don't know what you are getting. They take so much time to develop.

I think the best approach is to draft a high profile goalie in the late 1st round or 2nd round or sometimes take a chance with a 6th/7th rounder when you have a lot of depht. If not, try to sign already develop +20 years UFA goalies from Europe or College.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:27 AM
DrEasy
Get well soon, BM!

vCash: 840
Isn't Prospal a FA? Wouldn't he be a good 1-yr placeholder in our top 6?

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
Apparently Murray is looking for a bottom six/ role player guy. Still pulling for Antti Mietenen

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:55 AM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
He's on his good year two (fantasy hockey people know that Prospal has worked in two year cycles since the 01 season; last year was his off year, so this is a good year to sign him).

I'd be fine with him as a #2.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:00 AM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

I'm willing to bet that if Shannon doesn't get the money he's looking for on the open market, we resign him.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:55 AM
Ashe

All that matters is, the sens should be calling up the idiot WPG GM and asking about Ladd. Big UFA signings of 3 AHL players..Nice. Ladd sure will wanna see that.

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:32 AM
senators101

I was really hoping for Bergfors, even more after seeing how little money he took.

senators101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

If and I hope we do... sign a forward to round out our top 6.. here's a list of UFAs and RFA's I wouldnt mind seeing in a sens uniform.. for the right price obviously.. and some are definitely a pipe dream.

UFA

Nikolay Zherdev
Antti Miettinen
Sergei Samsonov

RFA

Zach Parise
Vladimir Zharkov
Ryan Callahan
Brandon Dubinsky
Steven Stamkos
Teddy Purcell
Clarke MacArthur
Andrew Ladd
Blake Wheeler
Michael Frolik
Sergei Kostitsyn
Kyle Turris
Mikkel Boedker
Victor Tikhonov

Last edited by Marty Straka: 07-04-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Marty Straka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

There's no rush, I'm sure we'll go into camp and see how the players look. We'll still be able to pick someone up, or make a trade. There's going to be a lot of growing pains if the first half of the year.

IMO, give the players we have a try-out, lets see what we've got - let them make mistakes and let the learn. Just keep throwing them back over the boards. It's a no pressure season.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:03 AM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
If and I hope we do... sign a forward to round out our top 6.. here's a list of UFAs and RFA's I wouldnt mind seeing in a sens uniform.. for the right price obviously.. and some are definitely a pipe dream.

UFA

Nikolay Zherdev
Antti Miettinen
Sergei Samsonov

RFA

Zach Parise
Vladimir Zharkov
Ryan Callahan
Brandon Dubinsky
Steven Stamkos
Teddy Purcell
Clarke MacArthur
Andrew Ladd
Blake Wheeler
Michael Frolik
Sergei Kostitsyn
Kyle Turris
Mikkel Boedker
Victor Tikhonov
I'm curious what it would take to get Turris. He's the player on that list that I would most be interested in. (Stamkos / Parise aren't going anywhere)

e: I would take a shot at him with a 3.5-4m deal for 3 years. Definite over-payment, but with potentially massive upside still.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:10 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

I would give Drury a one or two year contract to be our 2nd/3rd line centre.

White Goodman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

i know he's an older guy (35), but for 1 year as a third line center, what about Brendan Morrison?? He made 725,000 last year and got 43 pts in 66 games.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Karlssonlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Landeskog View Post
I would give Drury a one or two year contract to be our 2nd/3rd line centre.
I would aswell. I've been thinking about this for awhile.

The Rangers fan and his teammates have nothing but great things to say about him as a person and his character.

He's the type of player I would like our organization to surround our young players with. He has the same positive attitude and character as Alfy.

Give him a $750 000 - $1 000 000 for 1 year.

Would be a great for our youngster to learn from such a professional.

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:17 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
I'm willing to bet that if Shannon doesn't get the money he's looking for on the open market, we resign him.
Yeah, I could see him being a pre camp signing/tryout if he doesn't get signed some-where.

Quote:

UFA

Nikolay Zherdev
Antti Miettinen
Sergei Samsonov

RFA

Zach Parise
Vladimir Zharkov
Ryan Callahan
Brandon Dubinsky
Steven Stamkos
Teddy Purcell
Clarke MacArthur
Andrew Ladd
Blake Wheeler
Michael Frolik
Sergei Kostitsyn
Kyle Turris
Mikkel Boedker
Victor Tikhonov

I'd be interested in any of the bold, for UFA I'd add Zenon Konopka, and RFA I'd also add Shawn Matthias.

JonnyMacSen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Sens16

Quote:

UFA

Nikolay Zherdev
Antti Miettinen
Sergei Samsonov

RFA

Zach Parise
Vladimir Zharkov
Ryan Callahan
Brandon Dubinsky
Steven Stamkos
Teddy Purcell
Clarke MacArthur
Andrew Ladd
Blake Wheeler
Michael Frolik
Sergei Kostitsyn
Kyle Turris
Mikkel Boedker
Victor Tikhonov

Parise is off the list, he's headed to arbitration can't offer sheet him.

Sens16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 06:40 PM
SENSational Sens Fan

Keller gone to Edmonton.

SENSational Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 07:13 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 400
Best of luck to Keller, hopefully he makes the team...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote