HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Would Weber get us Stamkos?

Old
07-05-2011, 12:36 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Would Weber get us Stamkos?

This is purely hypothetical, NOT a proposal.

It is being said that if the Lightning are forced to trade Stamkos because he doesnt want to be there, that a superstar Dman would be the centerpiece of the return.

It has been said here that if for some reason we cant re-sign Weber and he must be traded that we would expect a superstar forward in return.

My questions are:

How much(if anything) would the Preds have to add?

If you are Poile and Stevie Y calls, do you pull the trigger on this one?

(and if you dont think Stamkos or Weber is going to be moved you dont have to say so, or suggest that I am an idiot for mentioning it, just move on... thats why this is purely hypothetical.. I dont actually believe either one will be moved)

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:56 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

vCash: 500
No. But Weber and Lebda might.

ExplosiveLEAFman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:00 AM
HITMAN88

Weber is more valuable than Stamkos for us

HITMAN88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:26 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplosiveLEAFman View Post
No. But Weber and Lebda might.
That's awesome. On a couple different levels.

I would quickly agree to a straight swap. I like Shea, a lot, but Stamkos would be worth more. Except he'd also cost more in salary in the long run, which may make Shea better for us. Hmmm... Yeah, take Lebda too.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 07-05-2011 at 01:36 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:30 AM
predwings

I imagine Weber would probably get us Stamkos maybe with a pick added in or a prospect.

I in no way think we should get rid of Weber for Stamkos. We'd lose our team leader and a locker room presence. Though, if the Lightning feel pressed to either sign Stamkos and trade him, they may be willing to part for a bunch of prospects and draft picks. It would solidify our roster and put as at the next level. I'd have to see how the deal is being structured for Stamkos though and how much the lightning are willing to offer him to re-sign before he becomes a FA

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:57 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

On a more serious note, if I were a Nashville fan, I'd rather have Weber (think a lot of NHL GM's would take this stance as well) but in HF land, Stamkos is worth five Weber's.

ExplosiveLEAFman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:00 AM
glenngineer

I think it's equal value but I think Stamkos's disappearing act for the back half of the season is a concern and I think he benefits from playing with Martin St. Louis. I think if you take MSL away, he's not as dynamic a player and I'm not sure if we have anyone that he can play with that makes him that dynamic. Possibly SK would be a good match with him since he's a great passer/playmaker.

I would rather go add a guy like Parise, Perry, Getlaf or Nash if we're going to trade Weber or Suter. They're all proven players over time.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
I would do the trade as long as Tampa added something. Weber is better and more proven right now, but we have a guy like Ellis who may be able to take over a leadership role and is looking like he could be very good as well as Josi and Eckholm who are really good prospects.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:34 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I'd rather have Stamkos, personally, and I think he's worth more considering his age and production. I agree that he seemed to fade a bit down the stretch this year, but the list of 21 year olds with two 40+ goal seasons under their belt is rather slim, historically. In terms of pure goal scoring, only Ovechkin comes to mind in recent memory with that type of goal scoring at that age.

As with any player, it's all about the price. I'd gladly lock him up for a long deal with a very large cap hit (80M over 10y). But he may want a contract that exceeds Ovechkin's, and I'm not sure the Preds can give up 1/5 of the payroll to one player and still be successful.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:48 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I wonder what it would take to get Vinny and what his contract looks like.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:52 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I wonder what it would take to get Vinny and what his contract looks like.
His contract pays him $10M a year for the next 5 years, then $8.5M, $4M, $1.5M and $1M when it concludes in 2019/2020.

Old
07-05-2011, 10:55 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
His contract pays him $10M a year for the next 5 years, then $8.5M, $4M, $1.5M and $1M when it concludes in 2019/2020.
Ouch! No wonder they can't afford Stamkos.

Old
07-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Bongo

No way. Look at who Stamkos skates with. Hell I could score goals with those two guys. I also find it hard to believe anybody would want out of Tampa. if Stevie Y is half as good a GM as he was a player, they ought to have a pretty good team for a long time.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:08 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Ouch! No wonder they can't afford Stamkos.
I was thinking the same thing. They structured that contract like they were Toronto or NYR. Now it's an albatross because his production has slipped since that contract. He's 31, signed through to age 40, and has three consecutive years of being less than PPG and less than 30g despite playing with a super talented forward core.

If Lecavalier is leaving, I cannot imagine he's going to get the same quality player in return. His cap hit scares off the big named teams and those who don't care as much about the cap (like us) are terrified of the $50M he's owed over the next 5 years.

Old
07-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I was thinking the same thing. They structured that contract like they were Toronto or NYR. Now it's an albatross because his production has slipped since that contract. He's 31, signed through to age 40, and has three consecutive years of being less than PPG and less than 30g despite playing with a super talented forward core.

If Lecavalier is leaving, I cannot imagine he's going to get the same quality player in return. His cap hit scares off the big named teams and those who don't care as much about the cap (like us) are terrified of the $50M he's owed over the next 5 years.
And we thought we had it bad with Lombardi

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:19 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
No way. Look at who Stamkos skates with. Hell I could score goals with those two guys. I also find it hard to believe anybody would want out of Tampa. if Stevie Y is half as good a GM as he was a player, they ought to have a pretty good team for a long time.
Who did he play with? I can't recall from watching the playoffs but in a regular season game I went to against Florida, he was paired with Gagne and Malone while Lecavalier was paired with Purcell and St. Louis. On the PP, he played with STL and Lecavalier. But even his ES numbers (28g, 55 pts) were better than any Preds' entire season. If he played with those two as his linemates at ES, I'd say his stats aren't being artificially inflated.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:36 PM
ilikeblocks

4 preds 1st rounders would be worth stamkos though...offer sheet!

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Stamkos is the kind of player the Preds have lacked since their inception. Yeah, giving up Weber would be tough, but the Preds d system is a goldmine. You could make it work and gain a gamebreaker in the process.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:39 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Stamkos is the kind of player the Preds have lacked since their inception. Yeah, giving up Weber would be tough, but the Preds d system is a goldmine. You could make it work and gain a gamebreaker in the process.
I agree. Even if we lose Weber and Suter, we still have a loaded top 4.

Old
07-07-2011, 03:02 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
I agree. Even if we lose Weber and Suter, we still have a loaded top 4.
But let's not forget how long it took Weber and Suter to become Weber and Suter. There was a bit of gnashing of teeth over several years until they were the superstars they are today.

lstcyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:45 PM
deanwormer

I think the question is more like "is Stamkos worth Weber"? Weber is, already, recognized as top 5 at his position. His intangibles make him tough to replace. Stamkos is getting there, but he's not yest considered as potentially the best at his position, unlike our Norris candidate. Scorers tough to come by; guys that can create it themselves moreso. Is Stamkos that elusive guy that can create his own chances and create open ice for everyone else? Or is he a good scorer - maybe very good - but dependent on the system he's in/guys he plays with? If he's the latter - as nice as it'd be to have - he's probably not worth Weber.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:21 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
I think the question is more like "is Stamkos worth Weber"? Weber is, already, recognized as top 5 at his position. His intangibles make him tough to replace. Stamkos is getting there, but he's not yest considered as potentially the best at his position, unlike our Norris candidate. Scorers tough to come by; guys that can create it themselves moreso. Is Stamkos that elusive guy that can create his own chances and create open ice for everyone else? Or is he a good scorer - maybe very good - but dependent on the system he's in/guys he plays with? If he's the latter - as nice as it'd be to have - he's probably not worth Weber.
How about Suter?

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:25 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Stamkos would be one of the very few names that would keep the peace if we traded Weber. Weber is an icon here. If he goes, we better damn get a big name in return.

On the actual question though. I think a straight up Weber - Stamkos trade would be fair. Both players going to the other conference. And if Weber really doesn't want a long term deal here in Nashville, then I say do it for a few other names too.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 08:21 AM
kakemono

Kariya got 80+ points in Nashville and Stamkos is better. Erat and legwand had career years with Kariya. I don't think Stamkos would have any problem piling on the point here...

Having Surer and Weber is a luxury, but I don't think we need them both if we end up with a Stamkos-ish return.

I also wouldnt mind trading Weber for a Parise+ package.

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakemono View Post
Kariya got 80+ points in Nashville and Stamkos is better. Erat and legwand had career years with Kariya. I don't think Stamkos would have any problem piling on the point here...

Having Surer and Weber is a luxury, but I don't think we need them both if we end up with a Stamkos-ish return.

I also wouldnt mind trading Weber for a Parise+ package.
Erat - Legwand - Stamkos
Suter - Weber
Lindback

Filthy starting lineup

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote