HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Official Nashville Predators Prospect Camp Thread

Old
07-02-2011, 12:16 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Wait, why aren't you there?
Trust me, would love to be.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Who the heck is Champagne? I had never heard of this guy, but he was arguably the best forward on team Silver (the worse prospects).
Watched him play a handful of games at the leafs camp and he looked quite good. Big body, hard forechecker, good against the boards and great on draws. However one big negative is his skating. If he has improved over the last year or two, he should be a darkhorse.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:22 PM
kuparinen

Hey, has someone seen Mattias Ekholm at the camp? If so, does he look any good? He seems a little underrated here I think, he was great last year.

kuparinen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Tapp

Johanlake – first I’m a fan, no evaluator of talent, but I did try to watch Ekholm a bit yesterday. I thought he looked sharp and he seemed to be enjoying himself. For example, on one drill he and Ryan Ellis went in on the goalie together. Ellis banged a shot off the pipes and Ekholm picked up the hard rebound and put it passed the goalie in one quick motion. He and Ellis seemed to particularly enjoy that play and whooped it up a bit and high-fived each other.

The coaches seemed to be paying quite a bit of attention to Ekholm – praising him and coaching him. I saw him get several gestures of praise from the coaches throughout the practice - for example, Martin Gelinas gave him a tap - after a sharp passing drill. During a five-on-five drill, one of the coaches pulled him aside a couple of times to talk to him after his line finished their turn – seemed to be coaching him.

At the end of practice one of the coaches (Muller) stood at center ice and talked to Ryan Ellis alone for what seemed like 10 minutes while another coach (possibly Herbers) stood and talked to Ekholm alone for the same amount of time. Obviously, I have no clue what the coaches were talking to Ekholm about, but it certainly seemed like they had an eye on him.

Much more important than my attempts to watch, here is what was posted on the Preds website about yesterday’s practice:

http://predators.nhl.com/club/blogpo...id=DL|NSH|home

Ryan Ellis and Roman Josi are standouts --- as expected --- but Mattias Ekholm is looking every bit as skilled as the other two. He's big, comfortable with the puck on his stick, a smooth skater. Don't be surprised if Ekholm makes a very serious run at a spot on the Opening Night roster during September's Training Camp.

-----

I don't necessarily think fans are underestimating Ekholm, I know I'm not. I think it is more a case of most don't know a lot about him - yet. He'll have plenty of time and opportunities to change that.

Tapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:23 AM
kuparinen

Thank you very much, much appreciated Yeah, that makes sense, it's not very easy for a North American to know much about a Swedish player, espacially since he wasn't a standout at the WJC, he took a huge stride last season. I was just surprised to see him at 16th place at the HF rankings, but I know Nashville has one of the best prospect pools. Anyways, it will be fun to see what he can do this season

kuparinen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanlake View Post
Thank you very much, much appreciated Yeah, that makes sense, it's not very easy for a North American to know much about a Swedish player, espacially since he wasn't a standout at the WJC, he took a huge stride last season. I was just surprised to see him at 16th place at the HF rankings, but I know Nashville has one of the best prospect pools. Anyways, it will be fun to see what he can do this season
Those in no way reflect our opinions. Roman Josi should be our #2, not 6 or whatever he is.

Ekholm is IMO tied for our third best D prospect with Ellis. Blum has proven he is awesome, and Josi has done more in the AHL then the other two. I am very high on Ekholm though. He's a big guy with shutdown ability, something we dont have a lot of

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 04:19 PM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Those in no way reflect our opinions. Roman Josi should be our #2, not 6 or whatever he is.

Ekholm is IMO tied for our third best D prospect with Ellis. Blum has proven he is awesome, and Josi has done more in the AHL then the other two. I am very high on Ekholm though. He's a big guy with shutdown ability, something we dont have a lot of
Plus he was very good offensively too last season both for his SEL-team and for the national team. He had a dip at the end of the season, but the first half he was shockingly good. In one of the european hockey tour tournament he was hands down the best d-man, even though there was loads of high quality d-man there (from KHL and what not). He was moving the puck, being great in the PP and great defensively. At the end of the season he was a bit worn down but still he must be a serious candidate for most improved player in swedish hockey 2010-2011, since he was miles miles better than what was expected and what he showed in jwc for example.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:25 AM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
Roman Josi: The guy can flat out skate. It isn't that he is incredibly fast or quick, he is just so smooth. And the times that there were 50/50 pucks, he came away with it 90% of the time. He has great hands, is a good passer, and was very effective at making break-out passes.
The ads coach said some pretty flattering things about Josi last year, and now - unless I'm mistaken- he's an assistant to Trotz. Josi has AHL exp over Ellis/Ekholm. The bolded above is really what Nashville's D needs...he also led the team in shots. If another young D is to step up this year, I'm betting on Josi...he's just gotta stay healthy.

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote