Jets sign Rypien, one year $700k

Old
07-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Waste of a contract. He'll play less than 30 games after injuries and personal leave.

Care to make a bet? If he plays less than 30 games this upcoming season, I will use an avatar of your choice for a month and if he plays more than 30, you will use an avatar of my choice for a month.

Sound good?

Makeshift We Are is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Lux Aurumque*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeshift We Are View Post

Care to make a bet? If he plays less than 30 games this upcoming season, I will use an avatar of your choice for a month and if he plays more than 30, you will use an avatar of my choice for a month.

Sound good?
Sounds like a bet.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Witness.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Sounds like a bet.
Alright. Post it on my profile. That way it doesn't get forgotten.

Cheers

Old
07-03-2011, 04:11 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeshift We Are View Post

Sound good?

I'm confident that Ryp will play 30+ games this season for the Jets, so though this may be premature may I suggest that Canadian North would look spiffy with a Cheveldayoff avatar

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I'm confident that Ryp will play 30+ games this season for the Jets, so though this may be premature may I suggest that Canadian North would look spiffy with a Cheveldayoff avatar
I was thinking hybrid Chevy/Rypien face with "Long Live Chevypien".

Anywho, let's all get back on topic.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Yes, on topic: A guy who can and will fight anyone in the league and creates energy for his teammates is okay in my books. I think he's kicked Stortini's ass 4 or 5 times now. Don't know why that caveman even tries anymore.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

obviously boulton's replacement. they're pretty much the same player except rypien is younger and more insane.

i have my questions about tnse, but there's really not much more they could do. nobody in free agency this year besides richards and lieno were going to make this team better.

assuming slater is healthy you have two thirds of the best fourth line in hockey the past few years and one guy that's pretty much a carbon copy of the other third. burmistrov and antropov should be able to be competent as 2nd liners, last year for antro was the exception, not the rule, and burmi should be better with a year's worth of experience and more weight under his belt. you essentially have one of the best 2nd lines in hockey as your first line, an average 2nd line, a great 4th line, and some combination of rookies and fourth liners as your third line.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
obviously boulton's replacement. they're pretty much the same player except rypien is younger and more insane.

i have my questions about tnse, but there's really not much more they could do. nobody in free agency this year besides richards and lieno were going to make this team better.

assuming slater is healthy you have two thirds of the best fourth line in hockey the past few years and one guy that's pretty much a carbon copy of the other third. burmistrov and antropov should be able to be competent as 2nd liners, last year for antro was the exception, not the rule, and burmi should be better with a year's worth of experience and more weight under his belt. you essentially have one of the best 2nd lines in hockey as your first line, an average 2nd line, a great 4th line, and some combination of rookies and fourth liners as your third line.
Sounds like a turning chicken **** into chicken salad situation.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Sounds like a turning chicken **** into chicken salad situation.
kind of. but we all knew there wasn't anyone out there that would make the team better. the best you can hope for is that little and kane have breakout seasons and both pot 30.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:06 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
kind of. but we all knew there wasn't anyone out there that would make the team better. the best you can hope for is that little and kane have breakout seasons and both pot 30.
If they both score 30, we should definitely make the playoffs.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:41 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

He'll be a fan favourite for sure. We needed some grit in our bottom 6. This was the one FA signing I can truly get behind. Now we just need Jason Jaffrey and we'll have an elite AHL team at the NHL level.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:47 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:

You can't tell me Max Talbot, Vern Fiddler or Marty Reasoner wouldn't have been a significant upgrade at the 4th line centre position over Tim Stapleton (AHL talent)? The money for this type of hard-nosed, checking centreman to match up against the opposing team's top players and provide leadership and penalty killing prowess wasn't steep. Under <$2M annually. The top 6 forwards out there were insanely overpriced, I'm with you there, but we could've improved our forward depth without breaking the bank. I guess there's still some summer left to find value out there, but you'll soon be scraping the bottom of the barrel to do so.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:35 PM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoe42 View Post
Rypien Will fight anyone and everyone it doesnt matter their size.
Uh, no he won't. He knows how big he is. It's one thing to fight big guys like Gill or Valabik (which were absolutely awesome fights to behold, btw) but the big guys who really know how to fight is a different story. He's not going to go up against the Orr/Laraque/Parros class of nuclear deterrent heavyweights. I mean, he's not stupid (or at least not that stupid). Stortini is nowhere near that class, and Rypien's ragdolled that bum a few times. Brandon Prust is the only guy near his size who's actually beaten him as far as I can remember. He absolutely destroyed Cam Janssen (sp?) once.

Rypien introduced an innovation that sounds so obvious you can't believe no one ever thought of it before. He actually boxes. He's naturally a lefty but he can throw crosses, hooks and jabs with both hands and he can block with both hands as well. That throws a lot of guys who just grab on to a sweater and start flailing away. It's his technique that saves his bacon against bigger opponents generally but that advantage is lost against the bigger fighters with similar skills. He's tough as nails, but size really does matter sometimes.

As for his personal problems, we all thought is was substance abuse related the first time but last year some very bizarre theories developed. None were ever confirmed, and I'm pretty sure my post would wind up deleted if I were to share some of them. PM me if you're really interested, I guess.

Anyway, once again I'd just like to wish Ripper the best of luck both on the ice and off. If he stays in the lineup, just watch him go. It's insane watching him fight.

ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
You can't tell me Max Talbot, Vern Fiddler or Marty Reasoner wouldn't have been a significant upgrade at the 4th line centre position over Tim Stapleton (AHL talent)? The money for this type of hard-nosed, checking centreman to match up against the opposing team's top players and provide leadership and penalty killing prowess wasn't steep. Under <$2M annually. The top 6 forwards out there were insanely overpriced, I'm with you there, but we could've improved our forward depth without breaking the bank. I guess there's still some summer left to find value out there, but you'll soon be scraping the bottom of the barrel to do so.
I would've loved it had we gotten Reasoner. He could easily center our 3rd line and is a phenomenal PKer. I hate the fact he signed somewhere else because I've always loved Marty's game and he would've been a perfect fit in the bottom 6.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:46 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Signing Talbot would have been stupid, he wanted too much term/money for what he is worth.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:15 AM
Lux Aurumque*

To be honest, I hope I end up sporting the Cheveldayoff avatar suggested here. I liked what Rypien did with the Canucks when he actually played. If he can play a good chunk of games for the Jets, we can only benefit from it.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote